Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Low Carb Chicken Carbonara (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/683452-low-carb-chicken-carbonara.html)

atkinsgirlinvegas 07-18-2010 06:52 AM

Low Carb Chicken Carbonara

4 oz pancetta (can sub bacon, but pancetta is better)
1 lb of cooked, diced up chicken (can use rotisserie, I used a box of Trader Joe's "just chicken")
1 & 1/4 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
4 large egg yolks

Fry up the pancetta and add chicken to pan to warm over.
Whisk together cheese, yolks and cream
While on LOW heat, pour cream mixture over chicken and pancetta and stir to coat. Leave on stove for 5 minutes or less, being careful not to scramble eggs.

This took literally 15 minutes to make and was delicious!!! This made 4 servings in my house.

swinglow 07-26-2010 08:45 PM

Thanks! This looks really yummy and super simple!

Ginaaaaaa 07-26-2010 09:01 PM

Don't laugh, but I have never bought pancetta or eaten it. So, my first question is, where would I find it in a grocery store, and is it already cooked or raw? I have never eaten or bought prosciutto either. I'm think they are both an Italian meats too, which makes me seem not very Italian...lol. Well, it's probably because it was my Dad that was Italian and not my Mom, and she did all the cooking. She did learn to cook Italian sauce & meatballs from my Grandmother though....thankfully..lol.

Perdita 08-08-2010 03:07 PM

Answering a thread from a few weeks ago because some weeks I pratically live on carbonara: you can get pancetta at your grocery store's deli, usually only the "high end" brand will have it. I usually ask them to just cut me one 1/2" inch thick slice so I can cube it myself. The pre-cubed or pre-sliced pancetta doesn't seem to have the same flavor.

My love for carborana is such that I've read a lot about it. Apparently another traditional pork to use in place of pancetta or bacon is "guanciale" but I've never seen this at the deli or Trader Joes type places.

CarolynF 08-08-2010 07:10 PM

I have used bacon in this and it is still great.

micki641 08-10-2010 06:04 PM

Bumping so I can find this thread next week...
This sounds soooo good!!!

tulipsandroses 08-10-2010 07:13 PM

Made this for dinner tonight.
Had it with some Pasta Slim Noodles.
Mmmmm Good!

mamagiff 08-12-2010 09:16 AM

Sounds delicious! I'll be adding pancetta to my grocery list so I can try it soon!

jenks 08-22-2010 09:17 AM

subscribing

Perdita 08-22-2010 10:40 AM

I'm glad this got bumped: I'm trying to cut down on Dreamfield and I've been trying to substitute zucchini in my carbonara. It's not really working, though, even if I try to dry it off the zucchini slices/strips are too slick to work with the sauce. Even though I've seen this post before, it never really clicked, the idea of using a protein instead. Going to try this soon.

Sharvo 04-28-2013 09:50 AM

Leftovers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by atkinsgirlinvegas (Post 13702178)
This took literally 15 minutes to make and was delicious!!! This made 4 servings in my house.

Oh wow, this sounds great. I'm wondering if this would also keep to re-heat for brown bag lunch the next day? Do the eggs go funny?

Lavender Blend 04-28-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perdita (Post 13815478)
I'm glad this got bumped: I'm trying to cut down on Dreamfield and I've been trying to substitute zucchini in my carbonara. It's not really working, though, even if I try to dry it off the zucchini slices/strips are too slick to work with the sauce. Even though I've seen this post before, it never really clicked, the idea of using a protein instead. Going to try this soon.

Have you tried a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles?

millergirl1976 04-29-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharvo (Post 16398145)
Oh wow, this sounds great. I'm wondering if this would also keep to re-heat for brown bag lunch the next day? Do the eggs go funny?

The eggs dont change in regular carbonara, so I think they will be fine.

This recipe looks awesome.

tinamanni 05-15-2013 02:27 PM

had this tonight and it was great, thanks!