Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
sausage gravy

Well, I got inspired somewhere by something to make low carb sausage gravy. The carby version starts with a roux of flour and the fat from cooking the sausage (the kind that comes in the tube, crumbled and browned). Then we usually add canned milk to the flour. Add back the sausage and add some pepper. Usually we serve over scrambled eggs and biscuits.

So, here's what I did today for the low carb version. I crumbled and browned up 1/2 a tube of Farmer John sausage (though I prefer Jimmy Dean, the FJ was on sale). Took out the meat and added two scoops of plain unflavored whey protein powder (which I buy in bulk from the healthfood store), which immediately soaked up ALL the grease and left me in a panic until I remembered I had some bacon fat in the fridge, so that came to the rescue. Anyway, the whey powder browned up or toasted nicely, turning a dark orange color. To that I added 1/3 cup of cream and 2/3 cup water and returned to the stove, continuing to whisk. I let it simmer a bit, but it didn't thicken like I was hoping, so I ended up using a bit (3/4 tsp. or so) of guar gum dissolved in oil (per Ravenrose's tip: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ump-again.html ) which worked very well. Then I put the sausage back in and some pepper. I also added a pinch of salt which was probably unnecessary. Anyway, the texture was a little grainy, the color was good (sort of tan), the flavor was not bad. I ate it on top of a leftover coconut flour cheese biscuit from the night before (which I didn't really love to begin with).
I'd still much rather have the real thing, but this was OK. I saved the leftovers and will try them atop plain scrambled eggs tomorrow.

I just wanted to share this with you in case you have any suggestions for making this better or have been wondering if it could even be done.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
That sounds good. Just out of curiosity, why do you remove the sausage from the pan and then add it back in later? When I make the high carb kind I just add the flour to the meat and grease after browning the sausage, pour in the milk and then bring it to a boil to thicken the sauce. I've never had any reason to remove the meat from the pan first.

I made sausage gravy once with Carbalose flour as the thickener and it worked great. However, I don't buy Carbquik or Carbalose anymore so one of these days I'll try something similar to yours with xanthan gum. I see that I added some butter to the recipe below. I wonder why I did that unless maybe the sausage I used didn't give off enough drippings. Normally there is plenty of grease from the sausage.

SAUSAGE GRAVY
1 pound pork sausage
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup Carbalose flour
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups water, or as needed
1 teaspoon Spicy Seasoning Salt, or to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped

Break up and brown the sausage in a large pot; do NOT drain the fat. Add the butter and cook until melted. Stir in the flour until no dry bits remain. Stir in the cream and half of the water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Adjust the thickness with water until it reaches your desired consistency. Season to taste and stir in the parsley. Serve over hot biscuits (not included in counts).

Makes about 6-8 servings or about 4 1/2-5 cups

Per 1/6 Recipe: 572 Calories; 53g Fat; 20g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 429 Calories; 40g Fat; 15g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Another option is quinoa flour - it thickens nicely when a roux is formed first so would probably be great for sausage gravy makin'!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
That sounds good. Just out of curiosity, why do you remove the sausage from the pan and then add it back in later? When I make the high carb kind I just add the flour to the meat and grease after browning the sausage, pour in the milk and then bring it to a boil to thicken the sauce. I've never had any reason to remove the meat from the pan first.
The sausage gets in the way of cooking the flour. I like to cook the flour in the fat first, it tastes better and you don't get lumps.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Another option is quinoa flour - it thickens nicely when a roux is formed first so would probably be great for sausage gravy makin'!
That's a great idea, but I'm still afraid of quinoa until maintenance.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Yeah, I'd save the quinoa til maintenance too, or at least up the rungs of OWL quite a ways.

Before the quinoa flour, I used to just pour in heavy cream and some onion/garlic powders and cook it down til thickened. Yum!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, I reheated this concoction and found it inedible. LOL.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Speck: I have found that whey protein powder can be grainy..grainy..not good..Maybe that is what happened..

I would have cooked the sausage and just added some heavy cream..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Speck: I have found that whey protein powder can be grainy..grainy..not good..Maybe that is what happened..

I would have cooked the sausage and just added some heavy cream..
Yah, something happened with the flavor, too. It tasted and smelled like spoiled milk (from the whey I assume). Next time I think I'll just add cream.

thanks everyone!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
I make gravy all the time. I just add heavy cream to the pan drippings and deglaze the pan with the cream. Then, heat it to reduce it by about 1/3, or until thick enuogh. Due to the high fat content in the heavy cream, you don't need to leave a large amount of fat in the pan. Rule of thumb is 1/8 inch meat fat depth to about 1/2 inch. Season as you normally would, remembering you are reducing it and concentrating the seasonings.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote