Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Fabulous Protein Fudge (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/682274-fabulous-protein-fudge.html)

ouizoid 07-09-2010 09:15 AM

Fabulous Protein Fudge

A spin off of the recent candy recipes. I am finding that melting erythritol opens all sorts of doors!

melt on stovetop til liquid:

1/3 cup Erythritol

when liquid add 8 drops sweetzfree, 2 Tbs reduced fat cream cheese. stir til liquid (I take off heat so E doesn't caramelize). Add 1 scoop chocolate protein powder and 2 Tbs Hersheys dark chocolate. stir and add 3 Tbs (or so) vanilla davincis. Stir til creamy. scrape into container and refrigerate. In a half hour or so you will have a beautiful fudge that is oh so satisfying. Did the same fudge with Vanilla protein powder and PB2 instead of cocoa. Delightful! I am not sure of carbs--4? less than 200 calories for whole thing

ravenrose 07-09-2010 12:31 PM

that looks fantastic. I am wary of melting the E straight in a saucepan... how high is the heat? how long?

Charski 07-09-2010 01:02 PM

WOW, Ouisue, how cool! Will have to try it.

Speaking of "cool" - does it have that cooling taste to it when it's set up?

gharkness 07-09-2010 03:00 PM

Me, too! Do tell about melting the E. And, what about the Hersheys dark chocolate: is this the special dark cocoa, or some other product?

translationmx 07-09-2010 03:07 PM

I still can't believe that this kind of delish stuff is LEGAL!! Thanks for sharing :)

ncgirl 07-09-2010 03:36 PM

thanks! I'm always looking for good recipes involving protein powder (and not much else - i do well with short recipes!!).

ouizoid 07-09-2010 04:51 PM

the E melts great--medium high heat on the stove. It starts to smoke pretty quickly, which is when I take it off the heat and stir the powders into it--

yes I use the special dark cocoa--

No cooling effect at all when heated!

the chocolate fudge gets nice and shiny on top after sitting in the fridge awhile--it is absolutely delicious! I think adding nuts might make it even more fab!

This is a keeper--especially since I am a low fat girl. I'm sure you higher fat people could put in some butter or coconut oil. The 2 tbs lf cream cheese I use work great!

I am interested in hearing some reviews!

Ouis

Charski 07-09-2010 06:53 PM

I'll be trying it next week, most likely!!

THANKS girlfriend - :hugs:

Midnight 07-10-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 13673059)
A spin off of the recent candy recipes. I am finding that melting erythritol opens all sorts of doors!

melt on stovetop til liquid:

1/3 cup Erythritol

when liquid add 8 drops sweetzfree, 2 Tbs reduced fat cream cheese. stir til liquid (I take off heat so E doesn't caramelize). Add 1 scoop chocolate protein powder and 2 Tbs Hersheys dark chocolate. stir and add 3 Tbs (or so) vanilla davincis. Stir til creamy. scrape into container and refrigerate. In a half hour or so you will have a beautiful fudge that is oh so satisfying. Did the same fudge with Vanilla protein powder and PB2 instead of cocoa. Delightful! I am not sure of carbs--4? less than 200 calories for whole thing

could you tell me the sugar equivalant to 8 drops of sweetzfree. I don't have it so will need to sub for it. Thanks

Soobee 07-10-2010 07:18 AM

It's about 1/3 cup of sweetener. 24 drops equal a cup.

gharkness 07-10-2010 05:21 PM

Oops, one more question: is this powdered E or granular? Or does it matter?

ouizoid 07-11-2010 08:21 AM

I make it with granular. The first time I made it with powdered, but the granular works just perfectly. I've been loving having this stuff in the fridge.

gharkness 07-11-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 13678881)
I make it with granular. The first time I made it with powdered, but the granular works just perfectly. I've been loving having this stuff in the fridge.

OK, so that means it works okay with powdered, then. That's good, 'cause I don't have any granular. :) It's on my to-do list for today, along with a dozen other things....and the day's half gone! ARGH!

Charski 07-11-2010 01:02 PM

If you're gonna use powdered in place of granular, you should do it by weight, because it won't measure the same volume as the granular does. I'm not sure what the weight of 1/3 cup of granular is offhand though!

Soobee 07-11-2010 01:45 PM

1/4 cup granular comes out to about 1/3 cup powdered for me.

Beeb 07-11-2010 02:03 PM

Ok, do you just put the E in a pan and heat until melted? I'm so dense when it comes to this sweetener, I never seem to be able to melt it down!

Thanks!!

ouizoid 07-11-2010 02:55 PM

yeah--easy peasy. takes less than a minute on the stovetop in a small pan over medium heat. Melt E, add sweetzfree (or whatever synergistic sweetner you want to add), add protein powder and then add either cocoa or PB2. Stir til thick, add davincis (I just pour a glop in) and stir til thinner--put in container and spread out. Refrigerate. FUDGE.

Beeb 07-12-2010 09:59 AM

:doh: So I make this recipe and something just doesn't seem right. It's all grainy and very stiff.

Then...................I realized I forgot the cream cream! :stars: Remixed it on the stove with the cream cheese and it's just amazing! Made a vanilla kind with some chopped pecans!

YUMMY!!

jlp2009 07-15-2010 05:58 AM

This works well to make different flavors. When I made the original version I did not melt the sweetener (I use a combination of several all mixed together) but I like the graininess (yeah I know I'm weird!).
Last night I made 3 flavors but used a few drops of liquid Stevia as the sweetener (I think I used 6 drops) mixed it with the melted EVCO, stirred in the vanilla whey then added maple flavor and some walnuts to one batch, butter rum flavor to a second batch, and coconut and coconut flavoring to a 3rd batch.
Keep these in the frig. If you want them a bit firmer, leave the lid off the container.
(I used the reduced fat cream cheese which leaves them a bit soft).
Thanks for the inspiration Ouiz!

fourstubbs 07-15-2010 08:34 PM

All I can say is W-O-W!!!! This is extremely good and has a mouth feel of real fudge!!!! Thanks for the recipe.... fourstubbs

CindyCRNA 08-30-2010 03:12 PM

Subscribing! I just bought some peanut flour I might try this on.

jlp2009 08-31-2010 05:09 AM

I am glad you "revived" this thread Cindy! I had forgotten about this version and have been using the one that calls for coconut oil. I need to cut down on calories so I am going to switch back to this recipe.

CindyCRNA 08-31-2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlp2009 (Post 13844721)
I am glad you "revived" this thread Cindy! I had forgotten about this version and have been using the one that calls for coconut oil. I need to cut down on calories so I am going to switch back to this recipe.

Yup, same reason for me. In maintenance, you can't get away with a ton of calories. It sounds good.

lcmiller461 08-31-2010 05:23 PM

Marking my place as a reminder for later--definitely too much on my plate right now (yuck, yuck) --but I sure want to make this at some point!

jbatchelor 08-31-2010 07:09 PM

sub

mac24312 09-02-2010 08:29 AM

Sub and trying!

ouizoid 09-02-2010 01:59 PM

I adore this stuff--so glad you are all trying it!

pendragginp 09-07-2010 04:58 AM

I made some of this just now and it's cooling in the fridge, so I don't know yet how it tastes, but the scrapings from the pan were great! =) =)

I used DaVinci's Toasted Marshmallow instead of Vanilla, since marshmallow creme is part of my favorite fudge recipe.

And my chocolate whey is 115 calories per scoop, and my cocoa is 60, so with LF cr cheese at 140 for 2 tbs my whole batch is coming in at just about 315 calories/4 carbs. Yummy!

Brendajm 08-01-2012 02:49 AM

Bump

ouizoid 08-01-2012 06:36 AM

this is also great as a frosting. I thin out the fudge a little with some davinci's and use it to frost my Fabulous Flour cakes.