Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
I, too, watch overall calories, not just carbs. How do you guys count erythritol, calorie wise?

I don't do dairy, so I think I will give this a go subbing tofu for the cream cheese (w/ maybe a bit of something acidic for that cream cheese "tang"). LOVE the PB2 idea, as well. I think I'll try a choc/pb swirl fudge.

Just not sure how to count them erythritol calories??
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
subbing
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I made this today. I did something wrong (maybe a couple of things). Mine didn't set up. I have to eat it with a spoon. Can you say awwww??? Actually so far I haven't used a spoon. I used the knife I was using to try to cut it. (Dinner knife, not a sharp one) Whatever works!!! It's good tho!
I subbed out a little of the Erythritol with Xylitol (maybe part of the problem?). And I used EAS protein powder as part of the protein powder. Maybe part or all of the problem. I remembered after I used it that some of us have had problems when trying to make fudges & using that brand. I ended up adding more protein powder (this time using a 3rd type!). I didn't even use but about an oz (2Tbsp.) of the DaVinci syrup. It actually ended up setting up more than I thought at first it was going to.
I also used stevia as part of the sweetener instead of the sweetzfree (thereby using Erythritol, Stevia, Xylitol, and sucralose as DaVinci syrup). The taste is good, just soft set fudge.
Next time I'll forgo the EAS pwd. Had I been thinking, I wouldn't have used it this time. And guess I'll use all Erythritol instead of part Xylitol too. Not really sure if the X was really part of the problem tho.
Portion control is really hard on this one!! But there isn't a lot of carbs in it (I really am not as concerned about the calories, tho maybe I should be. But you guys say the calorie count is good. Never could count calories. That's one reason I like the low carb WOE.)

Anyone else have a problem getting it to set up?

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
No problem at all with isopure protein and Erythritol. Sets up perfectly.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Tofucheez, erythritol is 3 calories per tablespoon.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Soobee!!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Which time?
Oh boy, I'm on an UD, so this might get made tonight! ouizoid, have you put this on the JUDDD board????
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Made it again this afternoon. This time I didn't use the Xylitol (tho I don't think it was the problem), and didn't use the EAS protein pwd (I do think this was the problem). It did set up this time.
I didn't add very much of the DaVinci, and think I should have added a little more. It is almost too hard this time. But I seemed like it was gonna be pretty soft again, so didn't add much.
I may try a little Xylitol in it again next time. Not much, I only want to use a little of it. And I'll add a little more DaVinci next time too.
This time I used 1/2 Special Dark, and 1/2 regular Hershey's cocoa. Actually think I like that better. (and I'm a dark chocolate fan!)
Thanks Ouisue!!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I have!
I obviously missed it! Okay, so I made it last night. I couldn't get the erythritol to melt, so I googled and found I needed to turn it to medium heat. That helped, but boy does it crystalize quick (I have the powdered).

I used vanilla protein and PB2 Chocolate. Now to make it with the cocoa and chocolate protein once I get some more.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, just made this and was licking the spoon. Had to make myself put it into the frig to harden. The only protein powder I have (beside graham cracker) is Designer Whey unflavored. Using that I used Torani's chocolate and added about 1/8 - 1/4 t. powdered Stevia. Glad it makes only a small amount!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just got home, stuck my finger in my bowl, and while it is not hard (have to figure that one out) it is delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is definately a keeper, and once again, I am glad it only makes a small amount. Thank you ouizoid!!

Now on to other flavors, yum!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It makes a small amount but it is all protein and only about 120-150 calories! Enjoy without guilt! My fave is the peanut butter fudge!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
It makes a small amount but it is all protein and only about 120-150 calories! Enjoy without guilt! My fave is the peanut butter fudge!
Just made that very flavor, can't wait for it to chill!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

How much protein powder is "a scoop"

2T?
how many grams?
thanks!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
How much protein powder is "a scoop"

2T?
how many grams?
thanks!
They come in different sizes actually. But a pretty much standard for a lot of them is about 1/3 cup.

This is actually probably one reason a lot of recipes that call for "a scoop" doesn't come out as well with different protein powders. The scoops may be a different size.
That being said, some protein pwds just don't do well in recipes, or some recipes. For instance, EAS brand doesn't seem to do well in the candies. I think that is at least one of the reasons my first batch of this didn't set up. I used EAS as part of my protein pwd.

Also, as far as the grams, again different brands have different grams of pwd in their scoop! I think around 70 cc is pretty common, but not sure what the gram is. 24-35 usually I think. Ugh!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
They come in different sizes actually. But a pretty much standard for a lot of them is about 1/3 cup.

This is actually probably one reason a lot of recipes that call for "a scoop" doesn't come out as well with different protein powders. The scoops may be a different size.
That being said, some protein pwds just don't do well in recipes, or some recipes. For instance, EAS brand doesn't seem to do well in the candies. I think that is at least one of the reasons my first batch of this didn't set up. I used EAS as part of my protein pwd.

Also, as far as the grams, again different brands have different grams of pwd in their scoop! I think around 70 cc is pretty common, but not sure what the gram is. 24-35 usually I think. Ugh!
I'm sure that is why mine does not get hard. I use Designer Whey, don't know how much to use when this calls for a scoop, so I just use my scoop, which is 4 tablespoons. And this particular brand may not work in this recipe. No matter, it still tastes very good!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdcri
Stats: 236/135 (GB in 2009)... now 160.8/152.8/125
WOE: Low carb - nothing specific
Start Date: March 2012
I don't know where I went wrong but I think I added too much liquid splenda... I added 10 drops (mine is 3 drops are 2 tsps) but I think some of the crystalized residue fell in too. I followed the directions for the pb and vanilla version, adding 1/2 tsp of maple extract. It was SO sweet I could not stand it. And too much splenda or E give me a burn sensation. I added more peanut flour (may 6 tbs more I don't know) and threw in the whole block of cream cheese (it was THAT sweet - must have been the residue that fell in the pan!) and 2 tbs unsalted butter. put it over low and mixed it like crazy. then stuck it in the freezer - forgot about it till this morning. I took it out and cut a piece - it was creamy - not frozen hard - must be the E - and tasty! i put it in the fridge for when I get home from work - wishing I brought it with me!! It filled one of those kids sandwich containers

Last edited by jdcri; 08-07-2012 at 09:23 AM..
jdcri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I'm sure that is why mine does not get hard. I use Designer Whey, don't know how much to use when this calls for a scoop, so I just use my scoop, which is 4 tablespoons. And this particular brand may not work in this recipe. No matter, it still tastes very good!
Tilly try adding about 1 TBsp more of the Designer Whey protein, and start off by only adding 1 TBsp of the DaVinci syrup, and check consistency. (the problem with that tho for me is I'm not sure what the consistency should be when you pour it up.)
I made some chocolate/peanut butter fudge today. Started out to make the peanut butter. I used Vanilla Praline Designer Whey, but a larger scoop than came with it. (it held about 1/3 cup, or abt 1/4 c + 1TBsp) And I used 2 TBsp peanut pwd (not PB2 -- I bought this in a large can before Netrition started carrying the PB2) + abt 3 drops peanut butter flavored Loran oil flavoring. For the extra sweetener (besides the 1/3 c E) I used 1/8 pure Stevia extract. Added 1 TBsp vanilla DaVinci (would have used peanut butter flavor if I had had it). I stirred & tasted, and it was too sweet. So I added 1 TBsp reg Hershey's cocoa & 1 TBsp Special Dark. I decided it might need a little more liquid, but I didn't want to add more DaVinci because it was still pretty sweet for me. So I added abt 1 tsp water (might find I either didn't need it or needed more ).
I have problems with my taste buds in that I don't hardly taste a lot of things. I can now barely taste the peanut butter. But I think that is ME, and I've always had trouble tasting this in things. Again, I think it probably has plenty of flavor, but I just can't taste it very much. (Even the added pb flavoring didn't seem to help much.
I'll try to remember to check back after the candy has had time to set up, and let you know if I should have added more or less liquid. (or maybe more pp, and more liquid)
Old 08-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/117/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcri View Post
I don't know where I went wrong but I think I added too much liquid splenda... I added 10 drops (mine is 3 drops are 2 tsps) but I think some of the crystalized residue fell in too. I followed the directions for the pb and vanilla version, adding 1/2 tsp of maple extract. It was SO sweet I could not stand it. And too much splenda or E give me a burn sensation. I added more peanut flour (may 6 tbs more I don't know) and threw in the whole block of cream cheese (it was THAT sweet - must have been the residue that fell in the pan!) and 2 tbs unsalted butter. put it over low and mixed it like crazy. then stuck it in the freezer - forgot about it till this morning. I took it out and cut a piece - it was creamy - not frozen hard - must be the E - and tasty! i put it in the fridge for when I get home from work - wishing I brought it with me!! It filled one of those kids sandwich containers
I also found it overly sweet. In addition, I made the peanut butter version and couldn't taste it or the cream cheese, I could only taste the vanilla DaVinci. If I make this again, I'm going to cut way down on the DaVinci and the EZ-Sweet.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fran54
Can anyone help with substituting the cream cheese (don't do dairy) and the DaVincis? I don't want the tofu because I do not eat soy. Does stevia work in this recipe? Thanks
fran54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Tilly try adding about 1 TBsp more of the Designer Whey protein, and start off by only adding 1 TBsp of the DaVinci syrup, and check consistency. (the problem with that tho for me is I'm not sure what the consistency should be when you pour it up.)
I made some chocolate/peanut butter fudge today. Started out to make the peanut butter. I used Vanilla Praline Designer Whey, but a larger scoop than came with it. (it held about 1/3 cup, or abt 1/4 c + 1TBsp) And I used 2 TBsp peanut pwd (not PB2 -- I bought this in a large can before Netrition started carrying the PB2) + abt 3 drops peanut butter flavored Loran oil flavoring. For the extra sweetener (besides the 1/3 c E) I used 1/8 pure Stevia extract. Added 1 TBsp vanilla DaVinci (would have used peanut butter flavor if I had had it). I stirred & tasted, and it was too sweet. So I added 1 TBsp reg Hershey's cocoa & 1 TBsp Special Dark. I decided it might need a little more liquid, but I didn't want to add more DaVinci because it was still pretty sweet for me. So I added abt 1 tsp water (might find I either didn't need it or needed more ).
I have problems with my taste buds in that I don't hardly taste a lot of things. I can now barely taste the peanut butter. But I think that is ME, and I've always had trouble tasting this in things. Again, I think it probably has plenty of flavor, but I just can't taste it very much. (Even the added pb flavoring didn't seem to help much.
I'll try to remember to check back after the candy has had time to set up, and let you know if I should have added more or less liquid. (or maybe more pp, and more liquid)

This is interesting, and thank you. Quite awhile ago I measured my scoop in the Designer Whey, it is exactly 1/4 cup. I wrote it down and taped it to the top of the container so I would not forget. I will try that next time and, like you suggested, reduce the syrup. Interesting the pb oil. I used the powdered peanut butter. I tasted it but not real strong.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
subbing
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
This is interesting, and thank you. Quite awhile ago I measured my scoop in the Designer Whey, it is exactly 1/4 cup. I wrote it down and taped it to the top of the container so I would not forget. I will try that next time and, like you suggested, reduce the syrup. Interesting the pb oil. I used the powdered peanut butter. I tasted it but not real strong.
Tilly, the flavoring I used was Loran (sp) flavoring. I don't think I actually used enough to help much. I really couldn't taste the peanut butter much best I can remember. That oil is expensive (at least I think so), I get too skimpy with it I think, which in itself is a waste of money. If you can't taste it, then its wasted.

I haven't made this again lately. It was good, I just haven't made it.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Tilly, the flavoring I used was Loran (sp) flavoring. I don't think I actually used enough to help much. I really couldn't taste the peanut butter much best I can remember. That oil is expensive (at least I think so), I get too skimpy with it I think, which in itself is a waste of money. If you can't taste it, then its wasted.

I haven't made this again lately. It was good, I just haven't made it.
I have not made it lately either, crazywoman. I had gained way too much weight. BUT then made the Almond Joy pie in the new cookbook, so of course that has taken me some time to consume (and savoring every bite!!!!!). And now because of the cookbook on to new things. Gosh, do the wonderful ideas ever end??? Sure hope not!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbMe
Stats: 250/200.6/140
Start Date: 7/7/2013
Thanks so much for this recipe!

It is FABUOUS! I am following the Dukan program and find that this fudge fits into the program pretty well!

Well, I love reading past recipe postings cuz I really learn so much. Anyway, I was reading one from KevinPA, on his Erythritol Fudge thread, and he suggested using cream of tartar in chocolate to make it smoother and creamy. Light-bulb moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa
I read somewhere (and at the moment I can't remember where) that adding cream of tartar in small amounts to melted chocolate gives the textural effect of about 50 times its measure of corn syrup (in this case 1/8 t. would = 2 T. corn syrup). In effect it makes the fudge much smoother and creamier and less grainy. It is not something you can use to replace large amounts of corn syrup though. If I can find where I read it I will post it.

So I added 1/8 tsp of cream of tartar to this fudge and the results were amazing. I hope you try this and enjoy this addition as much as I do!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow Linda! What a cool idea! I will def try that! I wonder if it will do the same thing with my peanut butter version?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

by the way--this chocolate fudge makes great frosting for my "Fabulous Flour Cake"
Old 10-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbMe
Stats: 250/200.6/140
Start Date: 7/7/2013
Ouiz,

Great idea about the frosting. I make Dukan chocolate cake made with oat bran that could really use some help with moisture!

I will have to give it a go!

Thanks so much for your LCLF recipes! These LCLF programs are some hard to stay on cuz you feel like your missin something! Your innovative recipes really feel a need and they are truly appreciated! Please, keep them comin!
LowCarbMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 43
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 08
Would Truvia work instead of pure E? Thanks!
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote