Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Chia Tapioca Pudding - Thank you Dottie! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/681029-chia-tapioca-pudding-thank-you-dottie.html)

Joycelyn 06-29-2010 01:19 PM

Chia Tapioca Pudding - Thank you Dottie!

I am sitting here eating Dottie's recipe for Chia Tapioca pudding...mmmmm.

A big thank you again for this recipe. It is absolutely gorgeous. I am a cinnamon lover and the half and half makes it so rich and tasty.

This is one of my favorite midafternoon snacks.

Anniemar 06-29-2010 03:52 PM

I love this stuff too!! Along with the cinnamon..I add ground cloves...
I take it to work for lunch sometimes...quick, easy, portable and yummy!!

mistyjo1 06-29-2010 04:11 PM

would you share the recipe.... I love anything with chia in it

ravenrose 06-29-2010 05:09 PM

do you use whole chia or chia meal? I got the white chia from Netrition and was a bit surprised that it's the meal... it DOES say so on the listing, but not as prominently as I needed I guess. LOL

I'm told the meal is less good for the pudding sort of thing. I've done it a couple of times and it doesn't really thicken enough to bother with.

ljguitar 06-29-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 13642378)
do you use whole chia or chia meal? I got the white chia from Netrition and was a bit surprised that it's the meal... it DOES say so on the listing, but not as prominently as I needed I guess. LOL

I'm told the meal is less good for the pudding sort of thing. I've done it a couple of times and it doesn't really thicken enough to bother with.

Hi rr…
I’d guess you are correct. I’ve only ever made it with seed, and then upped the ratio to 1:4 instead of 1:6 (1/2 cup seeds to 2 cups unsweetened Chocolate Almond milk.)

I don't bake so seeds are all we use...if I need meal I can make it in a hand coffee mill (cheap push-top grinder with stainless bowl & plastic top)

Joycelyn 06-29-2010 06:49 PM

MistyJo, here is the recipe that Dottie had posted:

Easy Chia Tapioca
This is so much like the real thing!

1/4 cup half and half
1/2 cup water
1tsp vanilla extract
sweetener equal to 3T sugar (I used 4 drops ez sweetz)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (If you like cinnamon in yours)
3T chia seeds

Mix everything in a container with a lid. Give a shake. Refrigerate and shake after 10 minutes to keep the seeds from clumping.
After about an hour the seeds are soft and it's thick like tapioca

mistyjo1 06-29-2010 08:14 PM

thank you Jocelyn, that sounds so good.... I love the texture of chia in anything.. will be making this tomorrow,,,

ravenrose 06-29-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joycelyn (Post 13642752)
MistyJo, here is the recipe that Dottie had posted:

Easy Chia Tapioca
This is so much like the real thing!

1/4 cup half and half
1/2 cup water
1tsp vanilla extract
sweetener equal to 3T sugar (I used 4 drops ez sweetz)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (If you like cinnamon in yours)
3T chia seeds

Mix everything in a container with a lid. Give a shake. Refrigerate and shake after 10 minutes to keep the seeds from clumping.
After about an hour the seeds are soft and it's thick like tapioca

yes, this is the one that didn't really work with the ground seeds. perhaps upping the ratio would help, like Larry suggested.

Soobee 06-30-2010 01:09 AM

I made chia pudding with just almond milk, chia seeds, sweetener, and extract. I was so surprised at how good it was. Mine tasted miles better on the second day. It also thickened more overnight.

ljguitar 06-30-2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 13643324)
I made chia pudding with just almond milk, chia seeds, sweetener, and extract. I was so surprised at how good it was. Mine tasted miles better on the second day. It also thickened more overnight.

Hi SooBee…
Yup that's the formula we do our experiments with as well. Works well and tastes mighty fine!

Dottie 06-30-2010 05:27 AM

Thank you :)

alex57 06-30-2010 10:09 AM

Question - Chia seed is something new to me and I would like to give it a try. Where do I find them. If from Netrition, how are they listed. I wasn't able to find them when checking there a few minutes ago.
TIA.

I found them at netrition. Just clicked Chia seed in my post. However would like to buy locally if possible. Don't have a clue what type of store might carry them. Grocery, health food, ???

ljguitar 06-30-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex57 (Post 13644751)
...I found them at netrition. Just clicked Chia seed in my post. However would like to buy locally if possible. Don't have a clue what type of store might carry them. Grocery, health food, ???

Hi Alex…
Most of the local sources I’ve found are in excess of $12-15 pound, so I only order online. Whole Foods had some that were quite expensive, but still that would be local for some folks.

Still if you are just wanting to see if they work for you a pound from Whole Foods or Netrition would probably be enough to let you find out if they are.

Also some producers/packagers will try to convince you that their seeds are organic...all Chia Seeds are grown organically and they have no natural pests which feed on them, so they are never sprayed with insecticides.

They keep forever (well years), and the black seeds are the same as the white ones nutritionally and both are neutral taste-wise.

The ones for $50 a pound are not better than the less expensive ones...

Hope this helps...

alex57 06-30-2010 10:54 AM

Thanks, Larry

Joycelyn 06-30-2010 11:33 AM

I only make this with whole chia seed, not the ground.

Oh, I bet the almond milk would be great in this! ....off to look for unsweetened almond milk!!

Thanks!

pocahontas 06-30-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 13643324)

Have you ever tried it with choclate almond milk? Im thinking chocolate pudding! This would be an excellent addition to my menu since I can use all the calcium I can get right now and chia seeds are loaded with it.

Soobee 06-30-2010 02:42 PM

No, but I bet it would be delicious.

Jennifer Eloff 06-30-2010 05:06 PM

Wish I could find those seeds!

ravenrose 06-30-2010 08:05 PM

Netrition only has the ground ones though.

ljguitar 06-30-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 13646581)
Netrition only has the ground ones though.

Hi rr…

Is this what you ordered? This link is from the Netrition site and definitely labeled ''seed''...not meal

Netrition's Chia-CLICK

JoniBGoode 07-01-2010 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex57 (Post 13644751)
Question - Chia seed is something new to me and I would like to give it a try. Where do I find them. If from Netrition, how are they listed. I wasn't able to find them when checking there a few minutes ago.
TIA.

I found them at netrition. Just clicked Chia seed in my post. However would like to buy locally if possible. Don't have a clue what type of store might carry them. Grocery, health food, ???

I bought them at the local health food store. If you live near a Fruitful Fields, than have cheaper prices.

ravenrose 07-01-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 13646758)
Hi rr…

Is this what you ordered? This link is from the Netrition site and definitely labeled ''seed''...not meal

Netrition's Chia-CLICK

Yes. I don't see anywhere that it says "ground" or "meal," but it was when I got it. I suppose they could have changed products, but like I said, they sent me the ground meal. It's not clear to me from the picture what it is.

Kathy 07-02-2010 08:13 AM

Netrition only carries the chia SEED now. The chia meal is no longer available.

BikerAng 07-02-2010 08:31 AM

I had this for lunch yesterday but used coconut milk instead of cream. I added chopped pecans and walnuts to it also. Quite a tasty pudding, and SO filling. I like it a bit thinner, I used 2 TBS chia.

ravenrose 07-02-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy (Post 13651159)
Netrition only carries the chia SEED now. The chia meal is no longer available.

Thank you for correcting my error! *s* From everything I hear the seed is better.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 07-03-2010 11:06 AM

If you have a Sprouts, they have them. Julie

Emerald 05-26-2013 06:29 PM

Bumping because I just made this and it makes me oh so happy!

marieze 05-26-2013 07:08 PM

Think I'll make this tonight!!:yummy:

Smiles 05-26-2013 08:20 PM

This sounds yummy and easy. I'll add this recipe to my list to try. ;)

Question: I'm not usually a huge fan of seeds in my food. Are the seeds really noticeable?

Tracy

Emerald 05-26-2013 10:04 PM

Yes, the seeds are noticeable but it tastes so darn good that it does not bother me in the least. YMMV