Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Coconut/Chocolate Chip/Walnut Protein Balls w/pic (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/679393-coconut-chocolate-chip-walnut-protein-balls-w-pic.html)

Beeb 06-16-2010 05:34 PM

Coconut/Chocolate Chip/Walnut Protein Balls w/pic

Bored and decided to whipped something up tonight. Sweet and filling, so a little goes a long way and they have a fudge-like texture that I just love! I think these would be great rolled in some more unsweetened coconut, but I am watching calories so I didn't do it. I used Body Fortress Vanilla Protein Powder and it has 3 carbs per scoop so I can imagine that if you used a zero carb PP the carbs could be even lower!

Ingredients:

1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
2 Tbs Golden Flax Meal
1 Tbs Xylitol
1 Tbs DaVinci's SF French Vanilla Syrup
2 Tbs Coconut Oil
1 Tbs Unsweetened Coconut
1 Tbs So Delicious Coconut Milk
1 Square Sugar Free Milk Chocolate, chopped into chips (I used Simply Lite SF Milk Chocolate from Trader Joe's)
7 Walnut Halves, chopped

Mix well everything together in a bowl.

Roll about 1 Tbs of mixture into a ball and put in mini cupcake papers.
The mixture is a bit "wet" from the coconut oil, so make your balls quickly. You could also put the mixture in the fridge for a few minutes to harden it up before you roll into the balls.

Place in freezer until firm. Keep in freezer until you want to eat and enjoy!

Makes 8 Balls

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 59
Calories 79

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 6.6g 10%
Saturated Fat 3.996g 20%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.398g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.533g
Cholesterol 9mg 3%
Sodium 17mg 1%
Potassium 29mg
Total Carbohydrate 1.96g 1%
Dietary Fiber 1.2g 5%
Sugars 0.44g
Protein 4.14g

Net Carbs: 0.76

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL183.../388620077.jpg

translationmx 06-16-2010 05:35 PM

Wow!!!! Looks yummy and portable! Thanks for sharing :)

ravenrose 06-16-2010 09:31 PM

they look fantastic! for people balking at the ingredient list, for that small an amount using water instead of coconut milk would make almost no difference. I know we have a psychological aversion to putting water into things like this--milk seems so much CREAMIER. But it often makes no real difference with it's a minor ingredient proportionally like this.

Beeb 06-16-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 13600851)
they look fantastic! for people balking at the ingredient list, for that small an amount using water instead of coconut milk would make almost no difference. I know we have a psychological aversion to putting water into things like this--milk seems so much CREAMIER. But it often makes no real difference with it's a minor ingredient proportionally like this.

Thanks, Ravenrose! :hugs: I agree and any liquid; water, cream, half and half, etc. would do the same as the coconut milk. And like you said, the small amount shouldn't make a difference at all. I used what I had on hand when some more liquid was needed for the dry ingredients, and since I watch my calories the coconut milk was my first choice at 10 calories a Tbs. It looks like this is one of those recipes that can be tweaked and re-tweaked and still come out great!

Also, any sweetener will work, one just needs to figure out the carb difference with your sweetener of choice ;)

MsWoods 06-17-2010 08:14 AM

Do you know about how much 1 square of chocolate is? I have Sensato Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips, Mini Semi-Sweet.

Beeb 06-17-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 13601875)
Do you know about how much 1 square of chocolate is? I have Sensato Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips, Mini Semi-Sweet.

Well, my package says 3 squares = 25g. Since 25g = 5 TBS I would say there was about 1 3/4 +/- TBS of chips once I chopped up the square.

Someone with a better head for math may be able to give you exact.

MsWoods 06-17-2010 09:02 AM

Wow that's a lot more than I thought. I was thinking it would be around 1-2tbsp Lol. Awesome, even better, more chocolate for me.

dollkey 06-17-2010 10:03 AM

beeb, these look so yummy but I can't find or afford half of the ingredients so I'll just look at the picture and drool for free. Thanks for sharing! :D

Beeb 06-17-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 13602060)
Wow that's a lot more than I thought. I was thinking it would be around 1-2tbsp Lol. Awesome, even better, more chocolate for me.

Your thinking is correct at 1 to 2 TBS. I only used one square in the recipe which would be about 1 3/4 TBS. You could use the whole 5 TBS of chips which is the 25g or 3 squares per the serving on the package I have, but I think it may be too much chocolate (if there is such a thing) and it would over power the other ingredients unless you double the other ingredients.

Serving size of my chocolate bar.......3 Squares....25g or 5 TBS of chopped chocolate

I used 1 Square at about 7.5g or 1 and 3/4 TBS of chopped chocolate

dawnyama 06-17-2010 11:37 AM

What a simple recipe--and I have all the ingredients on hand!! I love it when people include pics too!! Thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely be making these, either tonight or tomorrow.

MsWoods 06-17-2010 11:56 AM

Well the chocolate chips I have are really strong so I'm thinking the 2tbsp would work well. I'll try that and let you know. Thanks.

MsWoods 06-18-2010 07:10 AM

Umk, these are dangerous. I didn't put the coconut flakes, coconut milk, or nuts in it, because I didn't have any. I just used virgin CO (which mine taste like coconut), vanilla torani, 1 scoop PP, and some golden flax, and chocolate chips. Mixed it and rolled them up and froze them. OMG. I ate all of them:blush:

Beeb 06-18-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 13605083)
Umk, these are dangerous. I didn't put the coconut flakes, coconut milk, or nuts in it, because I didn't have any. I just used virgin CO (which mine taste like coconut), vanilla torani, 1 scoop PP, and some golden flax, and chocolate chips. Mixed it and rolled them up and froze them. OMG. I ate all of them:blush:

Glad you enjoyed them that much! :clap: Did you figure the Net Facts for your tweaks, MsWoods? Would love to see what the difference is between recipes.

Thanks!

MsWoods 06-18-2010 08:50 AM

I haven't yet, haven't had time to sit down but I will here in a minute and let you know. I need to figure it out since I ate all them Lol.

ouizoid 06-18-2010 09:00 AM

oh these are good. I did not add the nuts but added two tbs of oat fiber for bulk--I figured 525 cals for the whole recipe and 4 carbs. Made 8 balls

MsWoods 06-18-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Ok for these the counts are:

478 calories
37g fat
15g total carbs
3g net carbs (I did sub fiber and sugar alcohols from chocolate chips)

That's for the whole recipe. Per 1/8th:
59.75 cals
4.63g fat
1.88g carbs
0.38g net carbs

MagicalHome 06-18-2010 10:11 AM

Looks very yummy =p~ thanks for sharing your recipe :x I'll make them this weekend ^^

Beeb 06-18-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

I'm looking at your recipe and it looks like coconut bark with protein powder and flax. Not a bad idea, but can we still call them a protein ball? How much protein are in your balls, MsWoods?

I made the recipe for the protein, to tell the truth and the carb count was a nice extra surprise. Yours are a nice change and I like the calorie count/carb count, also.

Beeb 06-18-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 13605498)
oh these are good. I did not add the nuts but added two tbs of oat fiber for bulk--I figured 525 cals for the whole recipe and 4 carbs. Made 8 balls

Is the oat fiber where the carbs are coming from?

ouizoid 06-18-2010 11:27 AM

no--the 4 carbs are sugar alcohols from the chocolate chips

Beeb 06-18-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 13606108)
no--the 4 carbs are sugar alcohols from the chocolate chips

Very cool! Can you post your recipe and the Net Facts?

Thanks!! :hugs:

1annewil 06-18-2010 02:46 PM

I made a recipe and loved it so much made another one. I put them into tiny muffin papers in a mini tin-I got 12 full. Also, I used cacao nips instead of ch chips and sliced almonds. Good and easy. Thanks, Anne

Jennifer Eloff 06-18-2010 04:10 PM

That's creative, Linda. Yummy!

Beeb 06-19-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 13602665)
What a simple recipe--and I have all the ingredients on hand!! I love it when people include pics too!! Thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely be making these, either tonight or tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 13605498)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1annewil (Post 13606866)
I made a recipe and loved it so much made another one. I put them into tiny muffin papers in a mini tin-I got 12 full. Also, I used cacao nips instead of ch chips and sliced almonds. Good and easy. Thanks, Anne

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff (Post 13607158)
That's creative, Linda. Yummy!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! :notwrthy:

Gnossienne 06-19-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

:laugh: Well that's a ringing endorsement if I ever heard one! I will HAVE to try them now!

MsWoods 06-20-2010 03:06 PM

I'm addicted to these things. I made more and have been eating them all weekend. I'm out of Jay Robb PP now :(

Beeb 06-20-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 13612064)
I'm addicted to these things. I made more and have been eating them all weekend. I'm out of Jay Robb PP now :(

:clap::high5::laugh: Thanks so much for the compliment that your post is giving these! :hugs:

MsWoods 06-21-2010 06:09 AM

They are just so good. There is something about them that's like something I've been missing. They have a caramel texture. They get really chewy in my mouth and stick to my mouth and it takes forever to eat one. They are like candy. I've been making them simply with PP, CO, and vanilla toranis (I added unsweetened cocoa yesterday). They also kind of taste like that coconut candy, I can't remember the name of it, I used to get it as a kid, the cheap candy. They looked like little pyramids and were tan. These remind me of them so much.

Edited to add:

You will get different results with different protein powder. The jay rob ones are way better. I ran out and made some with Body Fortress and while they were still good, they were more grainy and not as dense. I prefer the jay rob ones.

MsWoods 06-21-2010 08:48 AM

I forgot to say that I left out the flax and I like em even better, they are more chewy and candy like. I like them because it's an easier way to get my cals up if need be and get my CO in. And they taste like candy Lol.

So, I did it to lower the carbs because I will eat the whole mess Lol.

1scoop PP (jay robb is the best for this)
2tbsp CO (mine is nutiva virgin and taste like coconut)
1tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

Cal:370
Fat:28.5
Carb:4g
Fiber:2g
Net Carb: 2g

And score! I have an individual packet of jay robb in my fridge, I'm a happy girl.

dawnyama 06-21-2010 11:54 AM

Oh, I was thinking of getting a packet of the Jay Robb so I can experiment too!! Especially since it blends in better than the other protein powders. I am so glad they are sold by the packet in my Kroger. Very convenient to get and try. I have tried the Jay Robb only once as a shake, not in baking so I am looking forward to getting it while working tonight. Fortunately (or is it unfortunately??!! my poor paycheck!!) I work at Kroger and can pick it up at any time I work!