Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JSmooth619
Stats: 230/200/160
Start Date: Nov. 2009
Boneless Cross Rib Steak

I bought 20 lbs of steaks at 1.25/lb (GREAT DEAL!!!!)

Now my question, how to I make these, BBQ, stovetop, crockpot?

Please help.

Thanks!
JSmooth619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
What kind of steak are they?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Here's what I found for you on Google

Cross Rib Steak

Flavor: 3 Out Of 5

Tenderness: 2 Out Of 5

Alternative Names: London Broil, Beef Chuck Steak, Chuck Shoulder Steak, Shoulder Clod

Called beef shoulder steak in the U.S. and boneless cross rib steak in Canada, it is a single muscle steak that offers good value for the budget shopper.

Marinating this lean and flavorful steak with a tenderizing marinade is an option if you want to grill this steak outdoors, pan-sear or broil indoors, however braising or simmering is the best method to cook a cross rib or any chuck steak recipes, in liquid using low heat in a covered pan.

Cooking Instructions (Braising Beef)

1. Season the cross rib with salt and pepper to taste and add any of your favorite seasoning.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep skillet to medium high if you wish to cook stove top.

Another option is to heat a lightly oiled dutch oven, or stock pot, beginning on the stove on medium high and later transporting to the oven.

3. When the oil has heated up, about 3 minutes, add the steak and sear 2-3 minutes on each side until nicely browned. You can add slices of onion, garlic, peppers etc. if desired with the steak during the searing process.

4. Add enough liquid (such as beef broth, chicken broth, canned soup, canned tomatoes, red wine, water or any combination) to just cover the steak.

5. Bring liquid to a boil on medium high heat, then quickly reduce to low heat to maintain a slow simmer. Don't boil, this will toughen rather than tenderize the beef. Keep lid on tight and don't lift unnecessarily, no need to turn steak and simmer 75-90 minutes until fork tender.

If you are using a dutch oven or stockpot, preheat oven to 300 degrees, and once liquid is simmering, transfer pot with lid, to oven for 75-90 minutes until fork tender.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JSmooth619
Stats: 230/200/160
Start Date: Nov. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Cross Rib Steak

Flavor: 3 Out Of 5

Tenderness: 2 Out Of 5

Alternative Names: London Broil, Beef Chuck Steak, Chuck Shoulder Steak, Shoulder Clod

Called beef shoulder steak in the U.S. and boneless cross rib steak in Canada, it is a single muscle steak that offers good value for the budget shopper.

Marinating this lean and flavorful steak with a tenderizing marinade is an option if you want to grill this steak outdoors, pan-sear or broil indoors, however braising or simmering is the best method to cook a cross rib or any chuck steak recipes, in liquid using low heat in a covered pan.

Cooking Instructions (Braising Beef)

1. Season the cross rib with salt and pepper to taste and add any of your favorite seasoning.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep skillet to medium high if you wish to cook stove top.

Another option is to heat a lightly oiled dutch oven, or stock pot, beginning on the stove on medium high and later transporting to the oven.

3. When the oil has heated up, about 3 minutes, add the steak and sear 2-3 minutes on each side until nicely browned. You can add slices of onion, garlic, peppers etc. if desired with the steak during the searing process.

4. Add enough liquid (such as beef broth, chicken broth, canned soup, canned tomatoes, red wine, water or any combination) to just cover the steak.

5. Bring liquid to a boil on medium high heat, then quickly reduce to low heat to maintain a slow simmer. Don't boil, this will toughen rather than tenderize the beef. Keep lid on tight and don't lift unnecessarily, no need to turn steak and simmer 75-90 minutes until fork tender.

If you are using a dutch oven or stockpot, preheat oven to 300 degrees, and once liquid is simmering, transfer pot with lid, to oven for 75-90 minutes until fork tender.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks!!!
JSmooth619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I buy stuff like that and then grind it with my KitchenAid mixer/grinder attachment - I can make my beef as fatty or lean as I like that way, and I KNOW what went into it! It's a pretty good cut for stew meat too.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote