Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I MAKE TERRIBLE COFFEE!!

HELP!! Can someone PLEASE tell me how to make a pot of coffee so it doesn't come out too strong or too weak?

I just can't seem to get it right! I have a 4 cup mini Mr. Coffee making. How much grinds do I need, measurement wise?

Thanks!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Okay, Miss Linda..How about one Tbs. per cup..That would be 4 Tbs. for your little coffeemaker. You can start there. If it is too strong, you can always add hot water to weaken it and adjust it to your taste, etc..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
HELP!! Can someone PLEASE tell me how to make a pot of coffee so it doesn't come out too strong or too weak?
...I just can't seem to get it right! I have a 4 cup mini Mr. Coffee making. How much grinds do I need, measurement wise?
Hi Linda…
  • First thing is to use quality coffee...and grind it fresh (once it's ground it's good for half hour)
  • Next, a clean pot
  • Then the right grind (not too fine nor too course)
  • Lastly, restaurants use 1/2 cup grounds per every 48 oz water in their Bunn style pots.

I’m guessing that would mean 1/4 cup of not-too-finely-ground coffee for your little maker. When I’m using small pots like yours in hotels, I increase to 1/3 cup just to boost the richness a bit...just 1/4 cup is kind of anemic to my tastebuds.

If it's too bitter or too strong, cut it with a bit of hot water. If it's too weak it means you either need more grounds or more finely ground.

Grinding finer beyond the proper grind only increases the amount of oils, caffeine and acid you extract. Some people buy really dark coffee and grind it really fine so they don't have to use as much, but it also doesn't taste very good either.

Maybe this is more than you want to know, but I roast all our coffee and our kitchen is never lacking for coffee drinkers.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
That 4 cup mini pot is actually 2 mugs of coffee (a cup isn't a cup in coffee language, more like 4-6 oz). I don't like super strong coffee. I'd start with 2 tablespoons for that little pot. A coffee scoop holds 2 tablespoons of coffee. When I make 8 "cups" (actually, 4 mugs worth) I use 2 coffee scoops (4 T).
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Victrola
Stats: Who currently knows?
WOE: Keeping it under 20g daily
Start Date: 11/17/2009
This is an excellent question!

When you talk about tablespoons or scoops, are they level or heaping?
Victrola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #6

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I think it is level of everything..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrola View Post
This is an excellent question!

When you talk about tablespoons or scoops, are they level or heaping?
Hi Victrola…
Actually we measure the beans before we grind them...so when I say 1/2 cup for a 48oz pot, that would be 1/2 cup beans and then grind it.

This is why restaurants and coffee shops measure coffee in cups and not Tablespoons (the quantity they make is usually 64 oz). Anymore most machines in restaurants automatically grind it and measure it for the wait staff.

I don't know any serious coffee makers who are using tea spoons or tablespoons as a measure. We use standard espresso scoops which are 1/8 cup, and then stage up using actual measuring cups and scales from there.

We weigh espresso for shots (because the need for precision and consistency is great) and we measure coffee beans for drip or press coffee.

I never measure it after it's ground.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I drink espresso, so I like my coffee very strong - but this is how I usually make drip coffee for guests.

freshly grind you coffee, it tastes SO MUCH BETTER.

Medium Grind: 10 seconds - used for electric drip/manual drip and French press methods. Should be about the size of medium coarse sea salt. The drip method is the most popular in the United States.

Use filtered water - it tastes better.

For 4 cups (6 ounces each) of coffee, measure out 8 generous tablespoons (30 to 35 grams) of fresh ground coffee beans.

But note, I live in Seattle and love coffee and like it strong.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
A Burr Grinder has changed my coffee life!
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Try one coffee scooper for every 2 "cups". I fill my coffee pot to the 6 line with water and use 3 scoops, perfect every time.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiRedkitty
Stats: 247/159/150, or so
WOE: Atkins with a twist
Start Date: August 21, 2003
Worked for a "coffee freak" and his general rule was a slightly rounded teaspoon of ground coffee for each cup (by the coffee pot "cup" measurement. I use a 4 cup pot as well and it works great.

Also, to take some of the bitter taste out, try a dash of ground cinnamon.
MiRedkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I drink espresso, so I like my coffee very strong - but this is how I usually make drip coffee for guests.

freshly grind you coffee, it tastes SO MUCH BETTER.

Medium Grind: 10 seconds - used for electric drip/manual drip and French press methods. Should be about the size of medium coarse sea salt. The drip method is the most popular in the United States.

Use filtered water - it tastes better.

For 4 cups (6 ounces each) of coffee, measure out 8 generous tablespoons (30 to 35 grams) of fresh ground coffee beans.

But note, I live in Seattle and love coffee and like it strong.
Another Espresso Lover Here! Do you make your own? I have an espresso maker, best gift I've bought myself in years!

But

I'm hooked on Starbucks Espresso and want to save a few bucks.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nicole714
Stats: 18/12/8
WOE: lowcarb
Every coffee maker I've ever owned both cheap and expensive have always taken a while to get the right ratio of coffee/water to brew the perfect cup for my prefernce so sometimes its hard to tell. Not too mention everyones taste is difference what you may think is too strong or too weak may be perfect for someone else. If you don't have a coffee scoop start out with a level teaspoon per 8oz and take it from there. And maybe try a milder blend coffee to start instead of a darker roast, unless you like the stronger flavor. Also of course it does make a huge difference whether the blend of coffee is pre ground or not. Storing coffee in the freezer will keep it fresher. I also put a pinch of salt in my coffee grounds before brewing, it takes away a little bit of bitterness and enhances the flavor. Just a little restaurant trick someone once taught me.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Another Espresso Lover Here! Do you make your own? I have an espresso maker, best gift I've bought myself in years!

But

I do make my own, I also have an espresso machine and my favorite drink is an Americano. So much cheaper than Starbucks!

I switched over to Trader Joe's organic espresso beans a few months ago and really like it. Not sure if it's much cheaper, but I like that it's fair trade and organic (and tasty).

Last edited by BikerAng; 06-12-2010 at 06:43 PM..
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: surrealchereal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post

But

I've been drinking the Costco coffee it is called Seattle Mountain. They roast it there and it's usually still warm when I take it home to grind...
I think it is better than Starbucks (the beans from the grocery store).
surrealchereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
years ago I had a lady who was making the coffee in those great big huge pots at a fundraiser or potluck (I forget which now..)tell me to use 1 rounded (not exactly heaping) TSP for each cup (cup meaning coffee maker cup not the mugs we drink it from) minus 1 tsp. That's how I have made mine for a med. brew. You can adjust from there to your taste buds. For me, if I am using the 4 cup coffee maker I use 4 tsp. but if I am using the 8 cup or larger coffee maker, I do subtract the 1 tsp. at the end.
(BTW, we are talking about a standard eating utensil teaspoon, not the measuring teaspoon which would be smaller)
Good luck!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buttonwillow
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: RE-start date Feb. 2, 2008
Coffee makers, especially small ones like yours have one 2 big problems: they usually don't heat the water to the correct temperature, which doesn't allow for correct extraction; and they usually don't allow the hot water to come into contact with the grounds for sufficient time for correct extraction. You may be able to make up for this by adding more grounds than is usually recommended, or maybe not.

Of the coffee makers preferred by coffees aficianados, the french press is cheapest and easiest to use. It is also, in my opinion, the easiest to adjust to get the taste you want because you control how much coffee to add, how much water, how hot the water is, and how long the water and the grounds combine.

Started Atkins 2/4/03
Height 5' 6"
Start Weight-- 165
Re-induct 2/3/08
Reduce carbs & calories 6/28/09
Weight on 9/13/09 151.5 lbs
buttonwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi folks…

I’m going to start a separate post for this video, but will embed it here as well. I have found a one-at-a-time coffee maker called an Aero-press which I’ve been using for some time now.

It makes the best coffee I have ever gotten, rivals or surpasses French Press for flavor, with far less mess, and very fast. From the time I power up my electric water heating pot, coffee is done in less than 4 minutes.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Larry, thanks for the video; the aero-press is new to me. I like it because it has a paper filter, unlike the french press. I just may buy one (like I need another coffee maker). However, I disagree with one thing: in my opinion, the water needs more time in contact with the grounds to extract the full flavor. Like OP beeb, I used to make terrible coffee, despite using good brands and correct measures. I was using an automatic maker, Mr. Coffee-style, and finally realized the steeping time was not long enough. When I changed my method and allowed the grounds and the water to be in full contact 3-4 minutes, and then filtered, I finally got a cup with full flavor.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonwillow View Post
... However, I disagree with one thing: in my opinion, the water needs more time in contact with the grounds to extract the full flavor.
Hi bw…
The Aero-press is a mixture of a bit of steeping combined with forced extraction.

The reason for the med-fine grind combined with physical pressure forcing the water through the grounds is so the full flavor extracts more rapidly...as opposed to French press which one grinds courser and allows the steeping to extract the coffee.

The pressure against the mesh in a French Press doesn't force any extraction, whereas with the Aero-press it definitely does.

Mastering pulling good shots of espresso - which is a mere 23-25 seconds to full extraction - I’ve learned to balance fineness of grind with heat of the water and the pressure of forcing heated water through the grounds.

The Aero-press actually provides about a 45-55 seconds of contact with the grounds. I tried it longer, and all it does is extract more acid and make the coffee bitter and acrid.

It is the unique idea of combining the pressure against the filter (similar to my Expobar semi-pro espresso maker), and a bit of steeping. In the instance of the Aero-press, it is the arm providing the pressure and not steam.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I'm willing to be proven wrong, Larry. When I can find a bargain price on the Aeropress, I'll buy one.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonwillow View Post
I'm willing to be proven wrong, Larry. When I can find a bargain price on the Aeropress, I'll buy one.
Hi bw…
Hot dog! I love science experiments...well and great coffee!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #23

Gallery: flatferenghi
i love super strong coffee...

so u only have a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong with me. I do not know how to make weak coffee. So, i always keep a small jar of instant for the faint-hearted, when someone comes to visit. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote