Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
Low Carb & Fat

Could someone explain why while eating low carb you should eat more fat.

I was sitting here eating a meatball sandwich and instead of using bread I have two slices of cheese that I nuked, and my BF was saying that he hated to say it but the only thing about using the cheese is that it's a lot more fat than bread. I know that there is information out there on this subject, but I was hoping to get just a quick explanation on it. I was thinking that you need the fat to burn calories and I am sure it's needed for health reasons too. TIA!!
My daughter is in a singer/songwriter contest. I would be very grateful if the low carb community would listen and SHARE her music channel. Thanks! http://songwriter.revimage.com/channels/Rosie+OMarrow
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: HerBoudoir
Stats: going...going...about halfway gone
WOE: Atkins on 95% whole foods
Fat keeps you satiated and stave off cravings.

Natural fats are extremely nutritious. (Quality of fat counts tremendously IMHO)

If you cut back your carb calories, the % of calories from fat & protein naturally increase.

Low carb is not a fat free for all - you still need to be mindful of overall calories.
HerBoudoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
When you limit your carb intake (like in Atkins induction) your body shifts from burning carbs for fuel to buring fat for fuel. If you look at the calorie content of the cheese compared to the bread they are pretty comparable in calories (plus fat is something that is essential if you want to absorb fat soluble vitamins properly). As HerBoudoir mentioned, not all fats are created equally - some are much healthier than others.

For me, as I climb the ladders and start eating a bit more unrefined carbs, I decrease fat content a bit because the calories start to add up quickly.

Last edited by BikerAng; 06-08-2010 at 02:40 PM..
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
and fat + carbs equal weight gain for me.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

So what your saying is, the lower your carb intake the more fat you need? I know The healthiest fats are found in: olives, olive oil, canola oil, nuts, seeds and avocados, but you can't substitute any of those for bread..lol.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/164/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Fat is satiating. For me its self limiting. I think that is one of the main ideas behind eating more fat. For some people, they say its not. For me it most definitely is. I eat way less calories with higher fat than I do with lower fat. I keep my fats very high. Otherwise, I'm still noshing and snacking every 2-3 hours.

Also, low carb means different things to different people. South Beach for example. Its not high fat, but it is low carb, still not as low as Atkins though. SB Proponents would argue that you don't need to have high fat. Personally, I do. It keeps my appetite in check.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: HerBoudoir
Stats: going...going...about halfway gone
WOE: Atkins on 95% whole foods
Canola oil is not a healthy oil, nor is any other oil that is chemically processed (most veg oils on the market, including soybean oil which is just about everything, it seems).

Healthy natural fats include olive oil, butter, those found in meats and dairy, virgin coconut, and nut oils.
HerBoudoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I know The healthiest fats are found in: olives, olive oil, canola oil, nuts, seeds and avocados, but you can't substitute any of those for bread..lol.
Someone is sure spending a fortune to convince us this is true, aren't they? Actually a huge study showed that there is NO correlation between dietary saturated fat and heart problems/deaths.

The REALLY unhealthy fat is trans fat--avoid it like the plague. The fat we all need more of is Omega 3. That's in fish oil pills or flax, mostly.

Canola is not so great. Most of the other vegetable oils are pretty bad. Soybean is bad. Olive is fine.

But the fats in dairy and meats are just lovely. Don't worry about it.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Omega 3 is in chia as well. Great if you cannot use fish oil or flax. It's in f i s h as well.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
I agree that fat is healthy but I think that sometimes people get carried away and start consuming it in excess as if it is an unlimited food because it has no carbs. Personally, I think anything in excess can't be good for you. Moderation is key. Have your daily fat and don't avoid it, but at the same time don't over do it. For many consuming fat curves their appetite and they naturally eat less, but not for all, and for those people they are just consuming more and more fat and calories. Calories DO matter for some people.

I think that people should find what works for THEM and THEIR body and not what works for someone else or what the latest article says. There are articles to support all WOE.

"The man who can drive himself further once the effort
gets painful is the man who will win." - R.Bannister
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
So what your saying is, the lower your carb intake the more fat you need? I know The healthiest fats are found in: olives, olive oil, canola oil, nuts, seeds and avocados, but you can't substitute any of those for bread..lol.
Hi Ginaaaaaaaaa…
It sounds like you are looking for a bread substitute. And I just eat fat - not healthy fat. Bacon grease, butter, olive oil, Ghee, lard, Crisco or just a really fatty steak about 1.5'' thick - they are all great!

The difference between cheese and bread is not fat, but the grain flour, sugar and the carbs in bread. A typical piece of average bread has from 13-19 carbs in it. Cheese - zero carbs in it.

There are low carb wraps which have as few as 5-7 carbs which can be used, but I really just adjusted to the fact rather quickly after starting on low carb that there is not a good fill in for bread or potatoes or several other foods I ate back-when.

People post recipes all the time for substitutes, but my brain is not easily fooled. I’ve tried them and they all failed, so I just don't eat or worry about bread anymore (or french fries).

If you are going to do low carb, then you will need to find foods which work for you and not listen to your boy friend's explanations unless he is well versed in Atkins or other low carb plans. So you need to probably read one of the Atkin's books to get an idea about how it all works.

That is so much quicker than asking questions on a board where every other person who answers is following a different version of low carb. There are many ways to successfully eat low carb.

You need to find a list of things which are plain off-limits. Pretty much, if it has starch or sugar in it - it's probably on the list.

Also, this has to be your way to eat, not your boy friend's. Not many couples or families eat low carb as a group. Too expensive, and too complicated and hard on the relationship when someone decides it's not for them any more.

My wife does not eat low carb, and we get along fabulously. We have mutual dishes we enjoy together. But many meal times are more like this evening...

We ran an errand to retrieve our RV from the mechanic, which means she dropped me off, and on her way home she stopped at Carl's Jr and picked me up an Avocado Bacon burger fixed low carb style, and then went two more restaurants over and picked up a piece of lemon cream pie for herself (the kind with toasted whipped egg whites on top).

We were both extremely happy, and enjoyed sitting together and eating, and discussing life and the world not food.

Hope you get the info you need...for long term

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
When you limit your carb intake (like in Atkins induction) your body shifts from burning carbs for fuel to buring fat for fuel. If you look at the calorie content of the cheese compared to the bread they are pretty comparable in calories (plus fat is something that is essential if you want to absorb fat soluble vitamins properly). As HerBoudoir mentioned, not all fats are created equally - some are much healthier than others.

For me, as I climb the ladders and start eating a bit more unrefined carbs, I decrease fat content a bit because the calories start to add up quickly.

Thanks Ang, that's what I thought!!

Larry, you made perfect sense. I really didn't want to get into good and bad fats and all that. I was thinking the cheese does make a great bread sub though..lol. I was just thinking I had read somewhere, I think it was Dana Carpender's book that your body needs more fat while eating low carb. Thanks everyone for your help!!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
So does your body burn through fat faster than it burns through carbs? I see a lot of people here say they still lose eating high amounts of fat, but I imagine their calorie deficit can't be that great??

I've always thought it was calories in calories out no matter what diet you did...
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aijarama
Stats: 280/205/175
Start Date: 11/06 @280, 5/10 @242
Hi all!

I really like this thread - Ginaaaaa - thanks for starting it! I'm moving from Induction to OWL and am skurred that my small increases in carbs (from beans and yams, etc) will make me gain if I don't decrease fats. I got the new Atkins book and it encourages fat and moderation, especially after induction. So I'm not gonna restrict fat, but my new project is to really get on that "eat when hungry, stop when full" wagon.

And I agree with Larry - I never found a viable substitute for bread without it being a slippery slope, so I just avoid it altogether. Whatever it is, put in on spinach leaves and you're good to go! You could also do lettuce wraps...

And you've inspired me to see about a steak for dinner tonight

Have a good, clean weekend, everyone!
219 by 7/3/10 - ACHIEVED 7/1
209 by 8/7/10 (Bellydance recital ) not quite
209 by 9/15/10 still no!
209 by 10/15/10 DONE!
199... hopefully sometime soon!
Aijarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: scriptdreamer
Stats: 290/255/220
Start Date: May 2010
Help! I need somebody...

to help me understand what is going on!! Ok, I started my Atkins diet nearly 3 weeks ago - I lost 20 pounds in first 2 weeks. This week, I feel like I have gained weight! I don't think I've lost a pound! Moreover, I have NOT been cheating but sticking to about 10-20 carbs a day.

My diet is basically the same everyday:

* 3 eggs
* 4 strips of bacon
* 4 oz of cheese
* 4 oz of almonds
* 1/2 lb ground beef or 1 can of tuna or 2 chicken breasts or some turkey slices
* a small spear of broccoli
* 1 pickle
* sugar-free jello and a little bit of 1 carb whipped cream
(I ate a quart of strawberries over about 4 days as a snack)

Plus, I walk at least 1.5-4.5 miles a day...

So, I am a little confused why I have maintained this week...I wondering if I am obsessing too much about counting each carb and ounce of fat burned? Can anyone objectively help me out, give advice, encourage me? Thanks for anything you can do...if a woman, then and if a guy, then

Blessings,
Dave
scriptdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
Hi, Dave,
You lost 20lbs in two weeks! Celebrate that and don't obsess. You're going to have some ups and downs and plateaus. Maybe your body just needs some adjustment time, maybe you're building some lean muscle. Remember: marathon, not a sprint.
RubyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:30 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LoseItGirl
Stats: 275/245/150
Start Date: April 2010
I certainly don't mean for this to sound snarky. But, it would be so much easier and make perfect sense to everyone if they would just get the book for the plan they are following and read it.
LoseItGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoseItGirl View Post
I certainly don't mean for this to sound snarky. But, it would be so much easier and make perfect sense to everyone if they would just get the book for the plan they are following and read it.
I read my book, but sometimes people don't understand things, or maybe others have a better understanding and more experience. It certainly never hurts to ask questions, and I'm sorry my post didn't make sense to you, but I kinda think that there are a lot of ways to discuss topics and this is just another way. Some don't follow a plan but just try to eat better, it takes time to adapt to a WOE I guess.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
This is the perfect place to ask questions. You often gat a variety of viewpoints and ideas. And everyone is so supportive. It's my favorite web destination.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: scriptdreamer
Stats: 290/255/220
Start Date: May 2010
Loseitgirl

Thanks for being snarky! lol Yes, you meant to. No worries as I'm not offended. I am learning still, so thanks everyobne else for grace...and the wewight is starting to come back off again - guess I cried wolf before reading the next page...
scriptdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote