Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Sweet Avocado - Who Else Knew?! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/677852-sweet-avocado-who-else-knew.html)

sfachillesgirl 06-06-2010 08:54 PM

Sweet Avocado - Who Else Knew?!

Thanks to my Brazilian girlfriend, who told me that it wasn't until she arrived in the US that she ate avocado as a savory addition to meals, I concocted a simple dessert based on her story.

Avocado, lemon juice, and Splenda - that's it! And it was delicious! I added a few strawberries, and it was a really refreshing and not overly-sweet dessert.

Do try it if it falls within your individual WOE :-)

dollkey 06-06-2010 08:57 PM

It's the same here. We use avocados as a fruit so we put them in fruit shakes and desserts. There is even an avocado buttercream recipe by Alton Brown. I only eat it as sweet, I can't get used to it being savory.

tulipsandroses 06-06-2010 08:58 PM

Yup, I make avocado smoothies with coconut milk, sweetener, dash of vanilla and nutmeg and they are deelicious!

Someone posted an avocado/coconut popsicle recipe recently and can't wait to try those too.

afuentes 06-06-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfachillesgirl (Post 13561572)
Thanks to my Brazilian girlfriend, who told me that it wasn't until she arrived in the US that she ate avocado as a savory addition to meals, I concocted a simple dessert based on her story.

Avocado, lemon juice, and Splenda - that's it! And it was delicious! I added a few strawberries, and it was a really refreshing and not overly-sweet dessert.

Do try it if it falls within your individual WOE :-)

Sounds delish - I will have to try this.

Patlaf 06-06-2010 11:29 PM

There are some good recipes for avocado chocolate mousse also.

Pat

SugarPop 06-07-2010 12:52 AM

I've yet to try it sweet, but definitely plan to.
B

24Fan 06-07-2010 02:30 AM

yum, SF, I'll have to try that. I :heart:avocados, by themselves with salt or in salad and now, a dessert!

lisabinil 06-07-2010 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patlaf (Post 13561823)
There are some good recipes for avocado chocolate mousse also.

Pat

There are good youtube videos on this.

clackley 06-07-2010 05:31 AM

I have never heard of avocado as sweet! I love avocados and I love sweet - I gonna try this. Thank you!!:up:

ravenrose 06-07-2010 07:04 AM

I did the avocado pops, and I have to warn people, don't use too much sweetener! The appeal, I think, is a slightly sweet flavor. Too much overpowers the avocado.

RobinB 06-07-2010 07:36 AM

Thanks for the idea!

JSmooth619 06-07-2010 08:30 AM

I was trying to explain this to a co-worker about a year ago and he thought I was nuts.

Sweet Avocado......
Yeah, we Brazilians are kinda nuts like that. :rofl:

lisabinil 06-07-2010 08:53 AM

brittone2 06-07-2010 09:48 AM

I've made avocado pudding before (was great when I was dairy free while BFing my oldest child). My kids will eat and enjoy it. We regularly put it in smoothies. Great texture and it pretty much disappears.

jamiernd2 06-07-2010 01:04 PM

someone made (had to) a dessert on Chopped the other day with avocado and i thought about this!

dollkey 06-07-2010 10:39 PM

how do you make low carb chocolate avocado mousse?

brittone2 06-08-2010 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dollkey (Post 13566418)
how do you make low carb chocolate avocado mousse?

This is how I made avocado pudding, not sure I ever did a mousse. To make a mousse, maybe you can gently fold in some whipped cream at the end? Maybe someone has more experience w. the "mousse" vs. the pudding.

It has been a while since I've done the pudding, and when I don't always make theirs low carb.

Basically you throw some avocados, sweetener (powdered erythritol?), vanilla extract, and cocoa powder in the food processor and process that. I can't remember if you need to think it a bit w/ a little almond milk or half and half, but if you want to thin it a bit, you can do that.

The big thing is you have to chill it really well afterward. It tastes much better that way. The texture is nice and silky.

There are a few sites w/ instructions if you google. Just sub LC sweetener for the sugar, agave, or honey they usually call for.

JKat 06-10-2010 08:28 AM

Wow I just made the pudding and I am impressed.

zomzom 06-11-2010 04:06 PM

In ice cream

I've used avocado as the fat portion to make ice cream - mint choccy chip to be exact! Natural colouring from the avocado made the ice cream that light green colour - it is awesome!

charlielou 06-11-2010 10:35 PM

Wow did I ever need to see this thread. I just picked up a bag of about 20 dead ripe avocados for 99 cents.

mizski 06-12-2010 04:20 AM

I never thought of avocado as a sweet. Because of this thread I found Alton Brown's recipe for avocado ice cream. It sounds wonderful. I'm in the process of making the recipe low carb (substituting for the sugar) so I haven't tried it yet. One reviewer used some xylitol and another added almond extract and pistachios or strawberries as variations.

Thanks so much for starting this thread. In the meantime, I'm going to try the avocado, lemon juice and sweetener. :kicking:

tulipsandroses 06-12-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zomzom (Post 13582712)
I've used avocado as the fat portion to make ice cream - mint choccy chip to be exact! Natural colouring from the avocado made the ice cream that light green colour - it is awesome!

Could you please post the recipe?

That sounds faboosh!

zomzom 06-12-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizski (Post 13583732)
I never thought of avocado as a sweet. Because of this thread I found Alton Brown's recipe for avocado ice cream. It sounds wonderful. I'm in the process of making the recipe low carb (substituting for the sugar) so I haven't tried it yet. One reviewer used some xylitol and another added almond extract and pistachios or strawberries as variations.

Thanks so much for starting this thread. In the meantime, I'm going to try the avocado, lemon juice and sweetener. :kicking:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulipsandroses (Post 13584155)
Could you please post the recipe?

That sounds faboosh!

What mizski said ... Avocado Ice Cream Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

I added sugar free peppermint syrup instead of the sugar, and peppermint extract that hubby gets from work. I did look at some of the reviews and have subbed coconut milk/almond milk. It's fun to play around with the recipe. I googled avocado mint choc chip ice cream and there are other recipes out there.

Have fun with making your own creation!;)

Tyl 06-13-2010 10:35 AM

oh that ice cream sounds yummy!

Lucky4 06-15-2010 05:10 AM

Cool--avocadoes sweet--I must try it. Are there receipes here for these sweet dishes?

sherrymyra 06-07-2013 07:40 PM

I have made the pudding. It is really good. Now I will have to make the icecream.

Barbo 06-07-2013 08:08 PM

Old Time Avocado Pie

We used to do a graham cracker crust (low carb make nut crust)

We used avocado mashed, a couple 8 oz. Pkg. cream cheese, a can of sweet condensed milk, lemon/lime juice and zest.
Whirl it together and pour into the crust and chill.
There is a recipe for low carb condensed milk
somewhere here on this site.. This was my favorite pie at one time.
We made this about 30 years ago or more.