Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Cold cereal flakes

Hey everyone, I thought I would share a cold cereal recipe that I came up with. It's really simple too!!

1 Tbsp flax
1 Tbsp almond flour
1 Tbsp oat fiber
1 Tbsp wheat bran
3 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp Davinci's syrup (I used vanilla)

Mix all together and spread onto either parchment paper or well sprayed plate and microwave in increments of 1 minute, turning over until it becomes crisp & crunchy. Then you can break it up into smaller pieces to make flakes. I tried some on it's own and it was very good, I plan on trying some with a low carb milk sub tonight. Looking forward to feedback!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

I think I just found a low carb cold cereal replacement!! Just had a bowl with cream/water combo & some freeze dried strawberries and it was delicious!!! It wasn't as crunchy as I would have liked, but it tasted so good it really didn't bother me. I think next time I will cook it longer to see if it will get crunchier. I hope someone else tries this so I know that I'm not crazy thinking this is so good...lol. Sometimes when you haven't had something you loved pre-low carb in such a long time anything low carb tastes so good..lol
Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I've been off cereal for so long that I guess I just don't miss it anymore.

MY Mom is still kooking for something to feed my father. Would like to know what others think about this.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I get a craving for cereal every once in a while. This looks and smells kinda like frosted flakes, I think because of the vanilla davinci's. It just doesn't have the sugar coating on it. Like I said, it tastes great!! LOL. But it wasn't as crunchy as I like, so I am going to try lowering the liquids and cooking longer, maybe try baking it in the oven. I hope some others will give this a try if they are missing cereal.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 05-29-2010 at 07:37 AM..
Old 05-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Gina, that sounds great. I posted a dry cereal microwave recipe a while back, so I guess we are on the same wavelength.

Carolyn tried it and really liked it but her DH especially liked it so she had to make bigger batches of it in the oven.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jennifer! Could you post your recipe link for me here. I hope someone tries mine and lets me know how the like it. I am really loving this cereal and made a bigger batch in the oven today and let it get really crunchy.

Never mind, I found it myself..lol here it is for anyone else that wants it!'

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...al-lovers.html

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 05-29-2010 at 05:05 PM..
Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I just did this (a mixture recipe of yours & Jenn's). I didn't put enough liquid, so it was too thick & hard to spread out thinly. I ended up basically doubling the recipe too. And I ended up finishing the cooking in my little convection toaster oven. (I had spread it out on a silicone mat, so it went easily from the micro to the regular oven.) Some of the flakes were a little thick, but all in all it was very good.
I ate it with some of CarolynF's low carb milk.
I'll definitely do it again, but will try to plan ahead (which isn't easy for me :blush: ), and cook it the day before so it will be cooler. I wasn't patient enough to let it cool well before eating it this morning. Will be much better cold, and not warming the milk up.
I may start making larger batches, and baking it in the oven. Definitely want to thin it out more than what I did this time.
Thanks Ginaaaaaa & Jenn!!!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad you like it Billie. I have since figured to lower the wet ingredients and to not spread it too thin otherwise it will take to long to dry out and it is too brittle. I have been buying the Hi-Low Cereal lately just because it's easier, but this is great for a quick fix.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Gina, that is why I left it as think as I did. I thought it would take too long to dry out if I added more liquid. But it was just too hard to spread, and wouldn't spread as thin as I would like. I wanted it pretty brittle personally. hmmmm
I'll experiment & see. Thanks for the info, and your trials & thoughts.
It was taking it a pretty long time to dry out in my micro with it that thick.
Thanks again!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
Thanks for sharing your recipe, Gina!!!
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

You are welcome, and like Jennifer said in her cereal recipe thread you can really play around with the ingredients and add different things like nuts and other grains and amounts of liquids to get something that taste good to you. I never saw Jennifer's cereal recipe until after I posted mine, but it gave me some good ideas!!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Gina - we were on the same wavelength. Don't worry about it. Great minds think alike as they say. Where do you buy your oat fiber? Is it useful in other things?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

netrition of course..lol. I have used it in pancakes, waffles & muffins and cakes to make them more cakey. I have also used it in meatloaf & fauxtatoes. I am sure there is more, but that's what comes to mind right off.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gina, that sounds major league interesting. You just made a sale for Netrition. I'll order some next time.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
hey, Gina! Tried your cereal almost exactly as written (used equal amts water & davinci's...i wanted "kiddie cereal") but had to sub coconut flour for the wheat bran. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!! (oh, also added a tsp of coconut oil thinking it would add crispiness). after 4.5 mins in the the micro it was done but sorta pale & limp so after crumbling, i baked it for 10 mins or so in the oven @325. Perfection! beautiful golden "flakes", sweet crunchy goodness, almost cookie-like....WOW was it good. I'm sooo tired of eggs, this really hit the spot. will make a larger batch & return with pics in a day or two. Thanks for the recipe
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote