Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
Weenie Thingie

If I had seen this recipe I would never have tried it. Someone brought this dish to happy hour and it was gobbled up quicker than anything else offered. I have no idea what to call it (weenie fajitas, maybe?) but it's my new "go to" thing to keep in the refrigerator for when I don't have anything else prepared. I eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack. Just as an aside - the people who brought this are billionaires! No wonder they're wealthy! I probably spent $20.00 on what I brought !

1-pound package weiners
1/2 onion
1 bell pepper
2 tablespoons low-carb catsup

Cut each weiner lengthwise into fourths and then cut each fourth into 1/3 inch slices. The point is to have small pieces with lots of surface area for browning. Put a little olive oil into a skillet and brown, brown brown these little babies until they have black edges and some of the surfaces are almost black. This doesn't take very long at all. Stir in about a tablespoon of low-carb catsup and stir fry this another couple of minutes. Remove, wipe out the skillet then add a little more oil and brown the onion and bell pepper strips until soft with burnt looking edges. This'll take a lot longer. You can do them at the same time as the weiners but in a separate skillet if you don't mind washing 2 pans. Add a tablespoon catsup and stir fry another minute or two. Mix with weiners and serve.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 12yrslater
Stats: UGH
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Induction: 10/20/08
Pre-Low carb I would make my hotdogs *almost* like this. I would brown them then add ketchup and wrap in a tortilla!

I still have to find some LC ketchup but definitely will be making this
12yrslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
i would think a little LC BBQ sauce would be good in it also, sounds good will have to try---sometimes i mix a little sauce with the catsup--when i make sloppy joes
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Actually, the person who brought this dish brought along some BBQ sauce. No one used it but I bet it would be good. The catsup is so subtle I wasn't even sure there was anything other than the weiners, onions and peppers.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
My mother used to make something like this without the vegetables, and then melted cheddar cheese on top. Is there anything not improved by a blanket of melted cheese? LOL
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I did this all the time as a kid and ate it with bread
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SNUGGS11
Stats: 165/117/110?
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JANUARY 2003-maint.
how much do you think this serves. we are doing a potluck tomorrow and I think this would be nice and easy and still yummy
SNUGGS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
If I had seen this recipe I would never have tried it. Someone brought this dish to happy hour and it was gobbled up quicker than anything else offered. I have no idea what to call it (weenie fajitas, maybe?) but it's my new "go to" thing to keep in the refrigerator for when I don't have anything else prepared. I eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack. Just as an aside - the people who brought this are billionaires! No wonder they're wealthy! I probably spent $20.00 on what I brought !
Wow, things must be very expensive where you live. Around here I can't imagine spending more than 4.00 for everything. Of course, I already have the catsup and onions and Eckrich hot dogs are 1.50 - 2.50 plus a green pepper for .50. Sounds good - I'll try it for Memorial Day. Thanks.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alex57
Judy,
I think you misread her just as I did at first. Grace spent $20 on her own dish.
alex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex57 View Post
Judy,
I think you misread her just as I did at first. Grace spent $20 on her own dish.
LOL - You're right - thank goodness. I was really feeling sorry for her and trying to decide if I should move there - I'd really have no problem with my weight because I probably couldn't afford to buy much food
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Rachael, I find that at potlucks folks take one spoon of just about everything and seldom return for more. At that rate I would guess there would be at least 12-15 spoonsfull. It's soooo cheap you can certainly double it using 2 pounds of weiners and take home any leftovers! Hope everyone loves it!! Let us know.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I just made this and it is pretty darn good!! I think if I had some low carb bbq sauce I would have added some in, but as is, is yummy. I had some for lunch and think it would be great to have in the fridge for a snack or just anytime your hungry. Thanks for posting Grace!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Sounds good and cheap. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
There used to be a 70's or 60's recipe for "Wienerschnitzel" as my mom called it but it was browned wieners, onion, bell pepper, Campbell's Tomato Soup (I think) and maybe tomato sauce and diced potatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. It was as my little 8 year old brain can recall, one of the BEST tasting dishes ever! Haha.

It would be easy to make it with cauliflower as the substitute for the potatoes. You can google the recipe. It's out there online.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote