Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Patricia Dowd
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2010
Question About Making Ice Cream

We have one of those ice cream makers that you put in the freezer to get cold and then put in the ingredients and it freezes it. We are wanting to make some for the weekend and it seems like I read somewhere if you use all Splenda it will get very hard and if you use two different sweetners it works more like ice cream is suppose to. Is this correct?
Patricia Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
This is the recipe I've been trying. I've made several batches, it comes the closest. Has good flavor and is scoopable after 24 hrs. like she says, but gets harder the longer it's in the freezer. I think it's stays scoopable longer if you use all cream instead of part milk.

My Rich Vanilla Ice Cream (Scoopable!)
Alright I've been working on this for some time now and here it is.
You can cook the mix if you are afraid of raw eggs but I like this recipe because it is quick and easy. One more thing. I try to stay away from recipes that have lots of specialized ingredients but the chemistry of ice cream is so complex that it is so important that all of these ingredients are present.

2 cups heavy cream (13 carbs)
1 cup milk (12 carbs)
2 large eggs (1 carb)
3/4 cup sugar equivalent
- 3/8 cup (6 tbsp) granular erythritol, powdered (0 carbs)
- 1/8 tsp stevia (0 carbs)
- 2 tbsp polyd (Not sure if it's completely nessesary) (3 carbs)
4 tsp glycerine (16 carbs)
1/2 tsp guar or xanthan gum (0 carbs)
2 tsp vanilla (0 carbs)

1. Place the milk, erythritol, and stevia in a saucepan or large measuring cup. While whisking constantly, gradually sprinkle in gum. Heat this mixture in microwave or on stove until erythritol dissolves completely. Refridgerate.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and polydextrose until thick and light yellow.
3. Gradually whisk in heavy cream and milk mixture. Stir in vanilla and glycerine. Chill in freezer until cold (about 30 minutes).
4. Process in ice cream maker until it reaches soft serve consistency, scoop into a container and store in freezer.

Makes about 1 1/2 quarts at 45 carbs. 3.75 carbs per half cup serving (it is rich and satisfying).

This ice cream was easily scoopable after 24 hours in the freezer (didn't last any longer!)
Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gnossienne
Start Date: April 2008
I don't know about sweeteners making it more or less scoopable.

I recommend against glycerine in favour of a splash of rum. It complements chocolate flavours very well!
Gnossienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
This is the recipe I've been trying. I've made several batches, it comes the closest. Has good flavor and is scoopable after 24 hrs. like she says, but gets harder the longer it's in the freezer. I think it's stays scoopable longer if you use all cream instead of part milk.

My Rich Vanilla Ice Cream (Scoopable!)
Alright I've been working on this for some time now and here it is.
You can cook the mix if you are afraid of raw eggs but I like this recipe because it is quick and easy. One more thing. I try to stay away from recipes that have lots of specialized ingredients but the chemistry of ice cream is so complex that it is so important that all of these ingredients are present.

2 cups heavy cream (13 carbs)
1 cup milk (12 carbs)
2 large eggs (1 carb)
3/4 cup sugar equivalent
- 3/8 cup (6 tbsp) granular erythritol, powdered (0 carbs)
- 1/8 tsp stevia (0 carbs)
- 2 tbsp polyd (Not sure if it's completely nessesary) (3 carbs)
4 tsp glycerine (16 carbs)
1/2 tsp guar or xanthan gum (0 carbs)
2 tsp vanilla (0 carbs)

1. Place the milk, erythritol, and stevia in a saucepan or large measuring cup. While whisking constantly, gradually sprinkle in gum. Heat this mixture in microwave or on stove until erythritol dissolves completely. Refridgerate.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and polydextrose until thick and light yellow.
3. Gradually whisk in heavy cream and milk mixture. Stir in vanilla and glycerine. Chill in freezer until cold (about 30 minutes).
4. Process in ice cream maker until it reaches soft serve consistency, scoop into a container and store in freezer.

Makes about 1 1/2 quarts at 45 carbs. 3.75 carbs per half cup serving (it is rich and satisfying).

This ice cream was easily scoopable after 24 hours in the freezer (didn't last any longer!)
Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I don't know, so far I have been trying to see if I can figure how to keep it scoopable. I tried a little Rum as Gnossienne recommends, but didn't see any difference. Also put in blueberries toward the end of the churning, but the flavor of the berries didn't come through at all. I think you'd have to use something juicier, like strawberries or raspberries. Going to try that when my strawberries are ready. Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyUSA
Made this recipe without the glycerine ( to save on carbs ) and it was very hard, but great flavor and creamyness.

I put the finished ice cream in a large loaf pan to freeze, then cut into 8 slices so I didn't have to "scoop" to serve. I store the slices in plastic wrap and soften in microwave.
NancyUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
I made this Ice Cream tonight and it is delicious! My DH said it's better than store bought!!
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerikay View Post
I made this Ice Cream tonight and it is delicious! My DH said it's better than store bought!!
Did you make it with or without the glycerine??

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alex57
The recipe I've used for several years is:

2 c. cream
1 c. DaVinci or Torani ( what ever flavor you want)
2 eggs
1/4 - 1/3 c. xylitol
pinch salt
vanilla extract (opt.)

If I want to add some fruit I'll use a DaVinci or Torani that compliments it.

Some suggestions are:
Vanilla DaVinci with 1 teas. lemon extract or
3/4 c. Vanilla DaVinci with 1/4 c. lemon or lime juice

Mango Torani with peaches

Strawberry w/strawberries - Raspberry w/ raspberries etc.

English toffee (or similar flavor) w/ finely chopped nuts

Vanilla w/ finely chopped chocolate bar

I usually scoop my ice cream into individual serving sized containers to put into the freezer. Because I like my ice cream slightly softened I can just let it set out for a few minutes before eating.

An old favorite my family loved from pre LC days was the 6 3's ice cream.
juice of 3 lemons (sub extract or use 3/4 c. lemon juice)
juice of 3 oranges (I prefer real juice but could use sf syrup)
3 mashed bananas (banana Sf syrup, about 1/2 -1 c.)
3 c. sugar (sf sweetener)
3 c. cream
3 c. milk

I have the Cuisinart ice cream maker and this amount makes about 2 1/2 batches if I remember correctly. It's been awhile since I last made this.
alex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Try whisking in a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum per quart of ice cream base and see if that changes the texture of the ice cream when frozen.

I tried adding 2 tsp of vanilla pudding mix when I made ice cream on Memorial Day for my non-lc family and it was still creamy a month later after being in the freezer when I served the rest of it to them on the 4th of July!

Didn't taste it myself, but they said it was great and creamy. I don't know if they make any sugar-free jello pudding mix or not? I do know that in the pudding mix there was either carageenan (a carcinogen ) and also guar gums (xanthan gum is a good sub for guar gum). So I'm thinking the xanthan gum might be a "conditioner" that will alter the crystal formation during freezing. The faster you freeze the cream base, the smaller the ice crystal and the silkier the ice cream.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
I did use 4 tsp. of glycerin and 1/4 tsp. of guar gum (I was scared to use too much of this-slime factor!).

It is scoopable after 24 hours!! I am in love...............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LC ICE CREAM.jpg (26.2 KB, 20 views)
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I have skipped the guar gum and used 2 Tbs. of SF vanilla pudding mix and found the ice cream- less "gooey" and a much better texture with the glycerine/pudding combo.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hi Carolyn!

Wasn't sure if there was such an animal as sf pudding!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
Here's the one I've started using. Even the non low carbers liked it. This is lowcarbman's recipe -- thanks lowcarbman!

My comments are bolded.

Basic Sugar Free Syrup Ice Cream Recipe (1.5 quart):

2c Heavy Cream (13.2 carbs)

1c Liquid Stevia, DaVinci, Atkins, or Torani Sugar Free Syrup, choice of many flavors (0 carbs) I used DaVinci's Dulce De Leche SF syrup

3c Sugar equivalent sweetener (3/4t liquid Neotame or liquid Splenda 0 carbs) First time: I used 20 drops Ezsweetz, Second time: I used 17 drops, still too sweet – will use less next time

2T Vegetable Glycerine (0 carbs) [keeps ice cream spoonable from the freezer]

3T Lecithin Granules (1.5 carbs) [a fat emulsifier] or 3 egg yolks (also fat emulsifiers) for a custard mix.
I used 3 egg yolks

1/4t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs) [for a smoother texture]

1/8t Salt (0 carbs)

You may wish to add 1/3c pecans and 1/3c SF chocolate chips or 1 cup of fruit to your ice cream. [I like to use DaVinci Blueberry SF Syrup with 1 cup frozen Blueberries ;-)] Instead of the above, I added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

I mix all ingredients in a 4 cup measuring cup with a hand mixer (I used a stick blender) and freeze in my 2qt Cuisinart ice cream maker (more capacity than the 1.5qt model, no problem now with added ingredients causing ice cream to spill out of the freezer bowl ;-). I add nuts, chips, or fruit shortly after the freezing begins. Makes ~4 cups of ice cream that will be spoonable days later, right from the freezer...only 14.7 carbs... ;-)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex57 View Post
The recipe I've used for several years is:

2 c. cream
1 c. DaVinci or Torani ( what ever flavor you want)
2 eggs
1/4 - 1/3 c. xylitol
pinch salt
vanilla extract (opt.)

If I want to add some fruit I'll use a DaVinci or Torani that compliments it.

Some suggestions are:
Vanilla DaVinci with 1 teas. lemon extract or
3/4 c. Vanilla DaVinci with 1/4 c. lemon or lime juice

Mango Torani with peaches

Strawberry w/strawberries - Raspberry w/ raspberries etc.

English toffee (or similar flavor) w/ finely chopped nuts

Vanilla w/ finely chopped chocolate bar

I usually scoop my ice cream into individual serving sized containers to put into the freezer. Because I like my ice cream slightly softened I can just let it set out for a few minutes before eating.

An old favorite my family loved from pre LC days was the 6 3's ice cream.
juice of 3 lemons (sub extract or use 3/4 c. lemon juice)
juice of 3 oranges (I prefer real juice but could use sf syrup)
3 mashed bananas (banana Sf syrup, about 1/2 -1 c.)
3 c. sugar (sf sweetener)
3 c. cream
3 c. milk

I have the Cuisinart ice cream maker and this amount makes about 2 1/2 batches if I remember correctly. It's been awhile since I last made this.
thanks for this thread, guys!! i love my ice cream maker, but haven't found the right recipe yet that doesn't call for a ton of ingredients I don't have or don't want to buy (such as soy lecithen)...

i never thought about freezing them in individual containers then letting it thaw individually as needed!
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
I want to ask about the Glycerine. I've just ordered some and it's on its way. One of these recipes states it 16 grams of carbs for 4 TEAspoons of Glycerine. However, another recipe says it's "0" grams for 2 TABLEspoons (6 teaspoons!).

How can that be? Which is the "right" one?

How many carbs in Glycerine?
DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I was curious, so went and got my bottle. Just says Vegetable Glycerine and since it's mostly used for cosmetics, at lease that's what I assume, it doesn't have anything about carbs on the label. Now I guess I need to find out too...............Ann
Old 07-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
Yes, please let me know what you find out. One is a big number and the other isn't.

I did "a little" light reading about it and got the sense it doesn't effect blood sugars, but that you SHOULD count the calories in it ... Seems contradictory. Too many ingredients like this. I would really like to get to the bottom of as many of these things as possible. I'm trying to be as cautious as possible, while still maintaining the greatest variety of options.

If anyone knows ... the information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Hi DJ

Thought I would add an answer to your question supporting my use of 0 carbs for 2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Glycerine.

Low carbohydrate diets are focused upon limiting ‘net effective carbohydrates’ that impact the production of insulin, Vegetable Glycerine uses a different metabolic pathway that does not effect insulin production. This is the reason that we ‘low carbers’ may regard Vegetable Glycerine as 0 carbohydrates in our ice cream recipes… ;-)

From Netrition.com:
Although glycerine is a carbohydrate, it has a different metabolic effect on the body. Unlike typical carbohydrates, glycerine reportedly has minimal impact on blood sugar levels. You should still count the calories (4.3 calories per gram) you are consuming from this product, since even a low carbohydrate diet needs some calorie control, but you do not need to worry about disrupting ketosis because there is no evidence that glycerine effects either insulin or blood sugar, which is the way that normal carbohydrates disrupt ketosis.

NOW Vegetable Glycerine

From Wikipedia:

Foods industry:
In foods and beverages, glycerol serves as a humectant, solvent and sweetener, and may help preserve foods. It is also used as filler in commercially prepared low-fat foods (e.g., cookies), and as a thickening agent in liqueurs. Glycerol and water are used to preserve certain types of leaves. As a sugar substitute, it has approximately 27 calories per teaspoon and is 60 percent as sweet as sucrose. Although it has about the same food energy as table sugar, it does not raise blood sugar levels, nor does it feed the bacteria that form plaques and cause dental cavities. As a food additive, glycerol is labeled as E number E422.
Glycerol is also used to manufacture mono- and di-glycerides for use as emulsifiers, as well as polyglycerol esters going into [shortenings and margarine.
It is also used as a humectant (along with propylene glycol labelled as E1520 and/or E422) in the production of snus, a Swedish style smokeless tobacco product that the Swedish government subjects to the same regulations as "food" because it is used orally.
As used in foods, glycerol is categorized by the American Dietetic Association as a carbohydrate. The U.S. FDA carbohydrate designation includes all caloric macronutrients excluding protein and fat. Glycerin has a caloric density similar to table sugar, but a lower glycemic index and different metabolic pathway within the body, so some dietary advocates accept glycerin as a sweetener compatible with low carbohydrate diets.

[Glycerol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[

Just FYI… ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the info Lowcarbman.............. Ann