Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I bought wheat bran! Now what?

I was shopping at the grocery store when I saw it in the cereal isle, it's Bob's Red Mill, and it was only $1.69. It looks like it could make a great breading and binder for things like meatloaf. At only 4 net carbs per 1/4 cup I thought it was a bargain all the way around.
So what do you do with it? How have you used it? What works and what doesn't?
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I have to suggest you introduce it into your diet SLOWLY. I use a lot of flax and other items high in fiber without incident, but if I use even one tablespoon of wheat bran in a day, I am running to the bathroom constantly and getting those intestinal pains too.

I used to make a great hot cereal of guar gum with a little wheat bran in it--virtually zero carb. Now I use flax instead of the wheat bran, but I have a bag of it too, so I will watch this space.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Just like a WASA CRACKER! For starters!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just wanted to report back that I used wheat bran and flax meal in the meatloaf tonight, and it was perfect. No breadcrumbs at all. You couldn't tell the difference.

I also used just flax meal in some cabbage rolls earlier in the week, and that worked quite well, too, but I think I prefer the wheat bran's texture.

Next, I'll try using it as a coating for fried foods.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Ravenrose,
How do you make that hot cereal? I have guar, not sure what all to use it in.
I had forgotten about the wheat bran that I have in the cupboard when I made meatloaf a few days ago.
Both flax and wheat bran give me the intestinal issues (the insoluble fiber does it)but I can use small amounts.

Thanks!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, it took me awhile, but I finally got around to using the wheat bran as a coating for fried foods. I have a chicken recipe called dijon crumb chicken... you can see it here: Dijon Crumb Chicken Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes
Was a favorite before LC. Tonight I upped the parmesan to 1 cup and used 3/4 cup or so of wheat bran instead of bread crumbs.
It worked really, really well. I've used almond meal for this, but it doesn't get crunchy. I've used just parm. for this, and it's OK. But parm. mixed with wheat bran was *almost* like using regular bread crumbs.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have wheat bran and I will try this.

I miss crunchy! THANKS
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Well, it took me awhile, but I finally got around to using the wheat bran as a coating for fried foods. I have a chicken recipe called dijon crumb chicken... you can see it here: Dijon Crumb Chicken Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes
Was a favorite before LC. Tonight I upped the parmesan to 1 cup and used 3/4 cup or so of wheat bran instead of bread crumbs.
It worked really, really well. I've used almond meal for this, but it doesn't get crunchy. I've used just parm. for this, and it's OK. But parm. mixed with wheat bran was *almost* like using regular bread crumbs.

I tried this tonight and didn't have very good results at all. I don't know what I did wrong, but the chicken didn't get crunchy, not even a little bit and the coating stayed on just barely. They cooked up nice and looked like they were crunchy but after taking a bite, there wasn't any crunch factor whats so ever!! It was very disappointing, and I feel like I just wasted a cup of wheat bran for nothing. I like Dana Carpenders Parmesan Deviled Chicken much better. I was so hoping this would work!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm sorry Gina! Did you use the egg bath first like the recipe says? Maybe your oil wasn't hot enough. I don't know, but I swear it worked for me!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I made the recipe exactly as written. The oil was fine, they got nice and browned and even felt like they were nice and crispy, but there was absolutely no crunch at all. I really don't get what happened. I was so excited to find this recipe, but I guess I will stick to either carbquick or parmesan for breading.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote