Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: barbinga2
is carbalose the same as carbquick when making kevins bakemix?

i keep getting confuuuuuuused. lol.

i'm going to order what i need to make it but i have carbquick on hand. man does that stuff reek.
barbinga2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
No, they are two different things. Carbalose is a flour sub and Carbquick is a bake mix sub.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: barbinga2
thanks again!!!
barbinga2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
No, they are two different things. Carbalose is a flour sub and Carbquick is a bake mix sub.
Ok, Gina, my dearest LCF, can you explain to me what you mean by flour sub and bake mix sub?

I'm thinking you mean that the flour sub acts like flour and the bake mix sub is something you use for baking only. Does the bake mix sub have stuff in it like baking powder/soda, etc and you won't have to add them in to a recipe if you use the bake mix sub? And would you use the flour sub like regular flour, like to make bread, etc. or to bread chicken for frying, or to thicken gravy?

I'm so confused!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #5

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
carbalose is to robin hood as carbquik is to bisquik

there are already baking additives in carbquik/bisquik

Last edited by Kevinpa; 05-09-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
well, if you compare the carb counts of a cup of carbquick to a cup of carbalose, you quickly see the difference! I guess the carbalose is a component of carbquick, but it's then "carb diluted" with some other stuff like Kevin does.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Carbalose is PART of Carbquik, just like flour is PART of Bisquick - then there are fats and leaveners added to the "flour" part to make it a bake mix, which is what you'd consider Carbquik and Bisquick!

HTH!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Carbalose is PART of Carbquik, just like flour is PART of Bisquick - then there are fats and leaveners added to the "flour" part to make it a bake mix, which is what you'd consider Carbquik and Bisquick!

HTH!
If you compare white flour to Bisquick, the white flour has 92 grams of net carbs per cup and the Bisquick has 75. So adding the fat and leavening has "diluted" the carbs in the flour by 18.5%.

Carbalose has 19 net carbs per 100 grams and carbquick has about 6, the carbs in the carbalose are "diluted" 67%.

The ingredients in carbquick are

Quote:
Ingredients: Carbalose flour (enzyme enriched wheat, vital wheat gluten, wheat fiber, high-protein patent wheat flour, soy fiber, canola oil, salt, emulsifiers, enzymes, ascorbic acid, sucralose, calcium propionate), palm and palm-kernel oil, buttermilk powder, baking powder, egg white powder, lecithin, salt, natural flavors.
There must be a whole HECK of a lot of "palm and palm-kernel oil, buttermilk powder, baking powder, egg white powder, lecithin, salt, natural flavors" to do that to the nutrition analysis!

OK, comparing the two, they have added 12 grams of fat and 12 grams of protein to the carbalose in a cup of carbquick. I guess the fat part is obvious, because carbquick just oozes fat when you bake with it. The biscuits I made are really greasy. But how they get it to "fluff up" to three times it's volume by adding buttermilk and egg white powders is a bit mysterious to me...

The more I look at that, the queasier it makes me.

Last edited by ravenrose; 05-13-2010 at 07:41 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
egg white powder and buttermilk powders are powdery and dense just like flour in a can. IF you sift them they take up a lot more space. iF you add that to another flour, then you increase the volume by however much you add. It's not that hard to see when you mix things yourself. I use egg white powder and buttermilk powder and wheat gluten and other stuff and they are just like flour. Sift it and it 'fluffs up" . I have a large canister of egg white powder and its taking me forever to go through it cause It takes so little to do what I need. When I pour it from the large container to my small kitchen container, it fills up fast, but if I tamp it against the counter, it settles a lot and I can put another 50% more volume in the can. So it does fluff up.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Peternim
What can I tweak in your cookies recipe if I use wheat flour instead of carbquick? I live in the Philippines and I can't find carbquick here.
Can I also substitute isomalt with your spenda quick pack ingredients?
Peternim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Peter , are you asking about Kevins cookie recipes.? I really don't know what the
Philippines has in low carb products. You can only find carquick on line. Wheat flour is not low carb.

There are many many cookies recipes using almond flour and/or coconut flour you might want to try some of them.

Isomalt is completely different from splenda quik pacs.
Please put up the recipe or link to it so we can help.

This is a really good thread check it out.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-newbies.html

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-19-2013 at 07:16 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote