Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Why Waste Your Money on Brand Name Frankenfood Protein Bars When........

you can make these 2 protein bars that are to die for? I don't understand? Maybe it's the convenience of these "ready made" bars? You don't have the ingredients at home? Afraid you don't have the know how to make the recipes? I have got to tell you, if you do NOTHING else for yourself on this WOE, stop eating those yucky, chemical ridden frankenfood and make yourself these bars! They literally take minutes to make, and once done you will have them in your freezer for whenever you want one. They also travel well, at least for me they do. AND the taste is beyond anything you can buy in a store with a wrapper that lists ingredients you can't even pronounce!!

The nicest thing about these recipes are they can be made with subs of what you have on hand if you don't have the exact ingredients. I have re-arranged these recipes with what I had in my cabinets on more than one occasion and I have NEVER been disappointed in the amazing result! The only investment I have made is the Protein Powder and it is worth EVERY penny I spend on it.

Here are my 2 favorites. Anyone wanting to add more onto this list...........GO FOR IT! More choices are always better in my book!!

COCONUT CHOCOLATE PROTEIN SQUARES by Jennifer Eloff
Hmm, these are so good and good for you! Enjoy indulging every day without guilt. Great fiber! The coconut oil controls weight because it speeds metabolism and controls Candida (yeast).

1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp Da Vinci® Sugar Free Syrup
(I used Macadamia Nut), OR sugar free
Pancake syrup
1 tbsp butter
1 cup chocolate whey protein
2/3 cup powdered milk (I used whole milk powder)
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup powdered erythritol
1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut (divided)

In food processor, process coconut oil, whipping cream, Da Vinci® Sugar Free Syrup, butter, chocolate whey protein, powdered milk, cocoa and erythritol. Stir in 3/4 cup coconut. Press into lightly greased (spray bottom of pan lightly with Pam) 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle remaining coconut over top and press coconut into mixture with back of a soup or dessert spoon. Freeze until firm and then refrigerate

Helpful Hint: This is quite a fudge-like confection and I love the combo of coconut and chocolate. It was sweet enough for me, but YMMV. You could add the contents of a couple of Splenda packets, if desired – taste and see. It’s hard to believe that this confection is actually good for you. Don’t have an ounce of guilt over this one!

This confection could be cut into 8 bars – as in protein bars - and carried in a plastic baggie in your purse. It will be a little softer, but you could always mitigate that by adding a couple tablespoons more of the whey protein or leave out a tablespoon of the sugar free syrup.

Nutritional Analysis: 32 squares (8 x 4)
1 square: 74.4 calories; 3.4 g protein; 6.1 g fat; 1.5 g carbs

Peanut Butter Protein Bars by BarbDe

¼ cup butter
½ cup peanut butter (pref chunky) at room temperature
4oz cream cheese, softened
1 ¾ cups vanilla flavored whey protein powder
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons Splenda
½ cup chopped peanuts

1. Melt the butter (a microwave works well for this), and add the peanut butter and softened cream cheese to it. Mix together with a spoon (no need to drag out a blender or mixer), and then add the protein powder, vanilla, Splenda and peanuts; stir well. (It will be very crumbly)
2. Taste and see if it is sweet enough. If not, add a little more Splenda.
3. Press the mixture firmly into an 8x8 inch pan. Slice into 12 pieces and put the whole pan in the freezer. Remove when the bars are firm.
Yield: 12 bars, each with 9 grams of carb, 1 gram of fiber, for a total of 8 grams of usable carbs and 31 grams of protein.
*For storage, it’s a good idea to package these in individual zipper –lock bags in the freezer.

NOTE: Not sure if this was the right forum for this and if not, sorry admins and please move. Thanks!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 04-20-2010 at 10:06 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Purgatory escapee

Gallery: DeltaSierra
Stats: Too much/Still too much/Perfect
WOE: Atkins
These sound awesome. I'm going to put them in my recipe box to have as treats once I get to goal! I will most likely stall while on them (due to peanut butter/powdered milk) but they will be fabulous for maintenance!! Thanks for sharing
DeltaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Thanks for posting these. Great ideas! I can all ready see adding some sf chocolate chips to the peanut butter.. YUM!!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chelle
Stats: 219.2/219.2/160
WOE: 20 gm carbs daily
Start Date: Low Carb
Thanks for sharing!
Chelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I am going to try the Peanut Butter Bars A.S.A.P
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
I made the chocolate peanut butter ones last week and while they were good they were not sweet enough for us. They ended up a little bitter and I am not sure why. Next time I make them I will have to up the splenda and see if that helps. I also had to tweak it a little because I didn't have enough of the vanilla whey so I added a little chocolate whey to the recipe.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Wow, those sound wonderful! I'm going to make some for my husband and daughter this afternoon.

As for why anyone would buy the over-priced bars instead of making these... a lot of people just don't have time to bake treats on top of all the meals we cook. The bars are commonly used as meal-replacements when we don't have time to cook or access to l/c foods. No shame there... but thank you so much for the recipes!
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Thanks.
The peanut one looks interesting. If I were to make it I'd leave out the Splenda.
Peanut butter and cream cheese don't need sweetening for my taste buds.

I don't buy bars.
However if they fulfill a need, or give pleasure to someone else I wouldn't regard it
as 'wasting' their money. ..... I buy books instead of going to the library.

jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
foxy librarian

Gallery: stargirl21
I have a hard time getting homemade protein bars to keep. Usually after a week they are moldy. Do you think they are freezable??
stargirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 View Post
I made the chocolate peanut butter ones last week and while they were good they were not sweet enough for us. They ended up a little bitter and I am not sure why. Next time I make them I will have to up the splenda and see if that helps. I also had to tweak it a little because I didn't have enough of the vanilla whey so I added a little chocolate whey to the recipe.
For me, Splenda is not a good choice with chocolate. I use other SA in conjunction with the Splenda and have found it works really well, not bitter at all. When I have used all Splenda I have gotten a bitter taste no matter how much I added to the chocolate.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Wow, those sound wonderful! I'm going to make some for my husband and daughter this afternoon.

As for why anyone would buy the over-priced bars instead of making these... a lot of people just don't have time to bake treats on top of all the meals we cook. The bars are commonly used as meal-replacements when we don't have time to cook or access to l/c foods. No shame there... but thank you so much for the recipes!
The beauty of these bars are they are NOT baked. Just pressed into a pan and done! That is what I love the most about them. I just pick a half hour during the week and make both. That's all it takes! I now have 16 bars for when I need to grab and eat!

In no way was I saying that people should be ashamed of buying the commercial bars. Just was suggesting a better alternative to frankenfood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl21 View Post
I have a hard time getting homemade protein bars to keep. Usually after a week they are moldy. Do you think they are freezable??
Very freezable! I keep mine in the freezer and they stay forever, it seems!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TennisBum
Stats: 229/195/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 2/21/10
I made the peanut butter ones last week. I used liquid Stevia in place of the Splenda and may have put in a bit too much as they are very sweet. I also chose not to put in nuts (except those in the crunchy peanutbutter). Next time I might try some crushed almonds. I thought they turned out very well and tasted really good. I'll definitely be making some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl21 View Post
Not sure of the recipe you follow, but the ones I made above say specifically to store in the freezer until you are ready to eat them. I can't think of a reason why any homemade protein bar couldn't be stored in the freezer.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
Start Date: 06/22/09
Convienience and they taste like candy. That's why I buy bars Lol.

Sometimes I don't have time to mess with recipes and some of them look hard.

Everything Jennifer posts looks so good though and her recipes look amazing. I just want her to come cook for me. For like a whole weekend. She wouldn't be allowed out of the kitchen.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyDude
Stats: 240/237/165
Start Date: 1st time 11/2006. Lost 41 lbs. Restart 1/7/2013
Dynamite stuff! Thanks!
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
For me, Splenda is not a good choice with chocolate. I use other SA in conjunction with the Splenda and have found it works really well, not bitter at all. When I have used all Splenda I have gotten a bitter taste no matter how much I added to the chocolate.
I will have to try and buy another SA. Any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 View Post
I will have to try and buy another SA. Any suggestions?
I like Ideal sweetener, Erthritol, or Xylitol. Ideal is a mixture of erthritol and a touch of Splenda.

Any others with SA ideas for Princessdmw33?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Cool, Beeb! Thanks! I agree I usually make my own protein bars, but not this particular one. I only made it once or twice.

The peanut butter one sounds nice too, but the amount of sweetener is way too little IMHO (I have a sweet tooth though). A mixture of Splenda packets (if you like), Quick pack or liquid sucralose and powdered erythritol will pack a nice "sweet punch". Do a taste test.

MsWoods You are such a sweetie and very funny too! (Sometimes I feel that is what my sons do to me! ) You deserve to do well and you are doing very well. Keep doing what you're doing and keep things simple and treats to a minimum. If you're losing with the commercial bars - yay!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Beeb, when I started out many years ago I found the same thing. I remember sitting with a bowl of cooled, melted unsweetened chocolate and cream and adding Splenda Granular until the cows came home - it remained bitter! I think it was then that I realized a combination of ingredients helped - and it was then that I discovered whole and skim milk powder used in small quantities. Also whey protein, low-carb condensed milk, cream cheese and sour cream, etc. make a difference. I was able to make many chocolate confections using only Splenda that taste sweet enough for my incredible sweet tooth's demands. However, given a choice these days, like you, I mix powdered erythritol and Splenda. Also, the splenda packets pack more of a sweet punch than the Granular form.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh Jennifer, I don't eat them often. I should have mentioned that. Every couple months I'll buy a box and they last me for months. I eat a bite or two off a bar and stick it back in the fridge.

BTW, I just ordered Erythritol and Xylitol from netrition and I'm looking forward to trying some of your recipes out. I've never used either of them so I'm kinda skeered.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MsWoods, amazing that you can ration yourself like that. I guess it makes sense - one can't have too many of those bars and still lose like you are.

I have both those sweeteners, but I do prefer erythritol as I don't get any tummy issues. I prefer Xylitol for its taste though and also the way it bakes in products, but I don't use it as I have a dog at home. I'm scared I make a mistake and he ingests some of it. It is very toxic to dogs. As it is, I'm very careful with erythritol too, in case it is a problem.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh wow, good to know. My dog loves my LC baked goods. Thanks for remind me of that. I'll make sure I keep it locked up tight.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I am so happy I mentioned that now.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

I remember reading it now that you mentioned it but I did totally forget so thank you very very much.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #24
ohr
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohr
Hi Jennifer

I know this is not exactly on topic for this thread but I keep reading about how many people would love for you to cook for them. Anyplace I can get a bunch of your recipes. I know I'll love them!
ohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Wow, I am so glad I checked this thread again. I had no idea Xylitol was toxic to dogs. I'll have to be very very careful. Yikes!
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Randy
Stats: 277/247/187
Quote:
Ideal is a mixture of erthritol and a touch of Splenda.
Ideal is primarily Xylitol.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #27

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I don't understand why they buy those bars either, but I think it's a generational thing. Some people just think "normal eating" is buying commercial units of things in shiny wrappers and eating them. *shrugs*

Those bars look good, but awfully high carb. The big problem I see though is portion control. I would far rather see this sort of recipe stated in terms of ONE portion, you know? Maybe two. If it's not too difficult a recipe, that's doable.

I still think macadamia nuts are the snack of choice if you have to be carrying something low carb that won't spoil.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

I buy them every so often and keep them in the refrigerator until we need them. Since the beginning of March we spend a couple days a week in the car for 10 hours and those bars do come in handy when we have gone through the other items we have in the car to snack on.

When I first started low carbing, I would cut them in little pieces and put them in the refrigerator until I needed something sweet. At that point I would take two little pieces and it would curb my chocolate desire. I don't have a terrible sweet tooth so it is easy for me to quiet that urge. One bar can last me months when it is cut up.

Dawn

The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Ideal is primarily Xylitol.
I stand corrected, thank you Randy for this. I have given out wrong info, sorry! Here are the ingredients:

Ideal™ is a unique blend of ingredients with Xylitol as the main ingredient.It's a blend of Xylitol, dextrose, maltodextrin and a very small amount of sucralose for added sweeteness.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Beeb, when I started out many years ago I found the same thing. I remember sitting with a bowl of cooled, melted unsweetened chocolate and cream and adding Splenda Granular until the cows came home - it remained bitter! I think it was then that I realized a combination of ingredients helped - and it was then that I discovered whole and skim milk powder used in small quantities. Also whey protein, low-carb condensed milk, cream cheese and sour cream, etc. make a difference. I was able to make many chocolate confections using only Splenda that taste sweet enough for my incredible sweet tooth's demands. However, given a choice these days, like you, I mix powdered erythritol and Splenda. Also, the splenda packets pack more of a sweet punch than the Granular form.
Never knew this, thanks Jennifer. I still like to mix the sweeteners and actually I'm not using Splenda anymore so Erythritol and Ideal are my sweeteners of choice now.