Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Ways to cook Kale

Can anyone give me recipes for kale or tell me how you prepare it?

Do you prepare it as you would spinach? Maybe with bacon?

Probably not raw right?

I bought 2 huge bundles last week for the http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ale-chips.html, which are awesome, but 1 leave makes enough kale chips for a serving for me. I don't want it to go bad but I don't know how else to use it.

I read that kale is one of the healthiest things you can eat so I want to eat it before it goes bad.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
You actually CAN eat it raw in a salad. Let me stir up my kale recipes for you!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

This is delicious! Ditch the potatoes. Sometimes I add a can of cannellini (white) beans to it.

Portuguese Sausage and Kale Soup

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups Portuguese Sausage (Linguica or Chourico), about 14 ounces, sliced, 1/2-inch thick
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
10 to 12 cups unsalted chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
4 cups curly kale, about 4 ounces, stems trimmed, torn in pieces
2 bay leaves
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons Bayou Blast
5 turns ground black pepper
1/3 cup minced fresh mint

Directions
Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add Portuguese sausage and onion; cook, stirring, until onions begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes, parsley and garlic. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes.

Add 10 cups stock or broth and kale; heat to a boil. Add bay leaves, salt, thyme, pepper flakes Bayou Blast and black pepper. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes, adding more stock if necessary.

Skim fat from surface and ladle into large bowls. Top with mint; let stand a minute or two before serving.

*Note: Be sure to use curly kale rather than decorative or ornamental kale. Curly kale, a non-heading member of the cabbage family, has frilly, dark green leaves and is sold in bunches

Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes 16 cups

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Gadget Gal

This one is from Elana's Pantry - I got the ume plum vinegar at Whole Foods.

Raw Shiitake Kale Salad

4-6 cups kale, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons ume plum vinegar
dash sesame oil
dash celtic sea salt
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

1. In a large bowl, combine kale and olive oil
2. Massage the kale for a couple of minutes until it looks slightly wilted
3. Add mushrooms, vinegar and sesame oil
4. Sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds
5. Serve

Serves 4
Old 04-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Those both sound awesome Charski. I really like the salad. I will have to see what kind of mushrooms my market has this week.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
Gadget Gal

My sister does another one, she cuts the kale into chiffonade, puts it in a big bowl, drizzles with good quality extra-virgin olive oil and lots of lemon juice, salt and pepper. You can add whatever other stuff you like - radishes, baby carrots, green onion, avocado, etc.

Let it stand about 20 minutes before serving - the EVOO and lemon juice soften up the kale.

Oh, also always be sure to take out the stiff middle rib - it's too tough to eat.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jo2621
Stats: 225+ now 135 5'5" 48 y.o.
WOE: LC maintenance since 2008
Start Date: June 2007
My parents always had kale in their garden, pretty much year 'round. I have eaten a lot of kale in my lifetime and I still love it.

My mother would "cook it down" with some smoked meat like collard greens. Serve with pepper vinegar and some chopped onions.

I like to stack the leaves, roll them up and shred them. Then I get the skillet or wok really hot with some oilve oil and stir fry them quickly. I finish them off with some fresh pressed garlic right before I take them off the heat. Season with ground black pepper, red pepper flakes and salt.

Last edited by jo2621; 04-20-2010 at 09:03 AM..
jo2621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Can anyone give me recipes for kale or tell me how you prepare it? I read that kale is one of the healthiest things you can eat so I want to eat it before it goes bad.

A friend mentioned "alkaline water" as a possible way for me to ease my respiratory problems. When I looked it up, I came across the lists of alkaline and acid foods. Several of the items in Atkins induction lists are high on the alkaline scale, and meats are really high on the acid scale.

I had started putting on weight, and felt a radical change could help, and possibly my breathing too.
I came across green smoothies and decided to try them, as I am seeing a few other symptoms. I bought a bunch of greens a few days ago. More than what I could possibly eat before they spoiled. Also bought a bunch of fruit. Got a can of olives and the total was $54. Heck, that's NO meat or anything else.
Though I'm using fruit (not Atkins) as a base for my smoothies, I'm getting more leafy greens (ALL Atkins) than I have in a long time. Though I had thought of getting kale, I already had 3 huge bunches of greens--spinach, Romaine, and curly endive, so I didn't. Now I wish I had, to add as a variant to my smoothies.
I plan to decrease the amount of fruit in the smoothies, so that I have about 30% fruit and 70% greens. My meals have been pretty much just an Atkins vegetable. I have an advantage that I'm doing food prep only for me.

Bottom line, add all kinds of greens to your smoothies. Kale is listed as a moderately alkaline forming food with a ph of about 7.5. It's listed as a "bitter" food

Don't have the url for this, but here is a bit more info:
Bitter taste is composed of Air and Ether and is light, cooling, and dry by nature. It is found in green leafy vegetables (such as spinach, kale, and green cabbage), other vegetables (including zucchini and eggplant), herbs and spices (like turmeric, fenugreek, and dandelion root), coffee, tea, and certain fruits (such as grapefruits, olives, and bitter melon). While Bitter taste is often not appealing alone, it stimulates the appetite and helps bring out the flavor of the other tastes. Bitter taste is a powerful detoxifying agent, and has antibiotic, anti-parasitic, and antiseptic qualities. It is also helpful in reducing weight, water retention, skin rashes, fever, burning sensations and nausea.
Kale has more calcium than dairy, and is rich in sulfur.
Here's a couple of (NOT Atkins) recipes:
Spring Smoothie - fresh orange juice, ripe bananas, frozen mangoes, and several large leaves of kale
(extra frozen mango gives lovely thick consistency you eat with a bowl + spoon)

1 handful chard leaves, 5-6 kale leaves, 3 large bananas, 1 cup water

and another thought: extra “produce” greens – for more chlorophyll to cleanse and rebuild your bloodstream and cells – use the dark greens high in beta-carotene and calcium, like kale, collard, dandelion, parsley;

just some thoughts that may help you.
Ella5
who is moderating her Atkins a little, temproarily, trying to improve respiratory health and weight loss.

WOW,msorry, that go really long winded
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
Gadget Gal

Interesting, Ella! I still have not tried the green smoothies. Some day I might.

We grew Russian Red kale last year, and plan to this year too. It's a more tender leaf than your standard kale varieties, and has "frilly" edges too. Quite pretty!

My patch of kale was about 2' x 2' last year and it produced like CRAZY for many months. In fact, at one point I had so much kale that a local restaurant wanted to buy it from me for their salad bar! LOL!

It's easy to grow. Most places it would be a spring/fall crop because it doesn't like heat, but here at the Coast we can grow it pretty much year-round. It's so pretty in the garden too!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Wow, Charski, I loved the recipe for Portuguese Sausage and Kale Soup. I'm saving that one for later. I had kale in a smoothie yesterday.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

We ate a TON of that soup this past winter!

You can change it up however you like, too - I've made it with smoked ham hocks, leftover ham bone, linguica, chorizo - it's all good.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #12

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
The kale I've gotten was too tough to eat raw. I seem to recall the thing to do was to boil it in a good deal of water, like pasta, drain it, and then cook it. There are a number of greens that are handled like that. Kale is sorta borderline, but with the more bitter ones like mustard greens it's a necessity.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

I made some last night. All I did was heat some olive oil and sautee some garlic. Then added the kale and a little water to keep the garlic from burning. I let it cook down a bit, added butter, parmesan cheese, and heavy cream and it was divine. It was a lot like spinach, but I don't like cooked spinach much and the kale wasn't as strong tasting so I liked it.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
Yesterday I made a green drink with a few kale leaves, 3, I think. I added 8-10 out of the package frozen mango chunks, and a kiwi. Kiwis have a reputation as being good for respiratory health. Then I added about 4 oz water to blend/puree it and tasted.
It was still bitter even with the mango and kiwi, but I didn't want to add more fruit. I tried a little diluted with a TBSP of OJ, and though it improved, didn't want to do OJ. Lemons are really high on the ALKALINE list, so tried that lemon juice, and it worked for me.
The only problem I have now with it is the kale didn't totally "puree". Or, maybe it's the kiwi seeds. Thie is common in a lot of my drinks, but the next time I make it, I'll use my new blender. I think there's a chance of more complete pureeing.

My stall is broken, and I'm finally losing weight again.
Ella5
edited to add that perhaps using a lot less water in this and "eating" it, rather than "drinking" it might be better. Or adding something to thicken it for a better consistency. The problem with the endive was the "strings", now it's these tiny, tiny bits. For the fine weight loss, I can live with these problems.

Last edited by ella5; 04-21-2010 at 08:51 AM..
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: souzac
Stats: 183/176/145
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: March 23, 2011
Charski? Were abouts are you? I have relatives in Santa Maria and visit there often.
souzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
Gadget Gal

We're in the Monterey Bay area - so a pretty good drive north from SM!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Ah, the most Romantic place on earth - Monterey. I visit often.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/127/124? 5'2"
WOE: Low carb, fast 5
I took someone's advice on this thread and sliced it thinly and put it in salad and it was unnoticeable to DH who I didn't tell it was in there. It was a very good way to get kale into my eating plan besides smoothies.
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

You could probably hide it in casseroles as well teacup!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: texascarl
Dr. Weil makes his into a salad here.
texascarl is offline   Reply With Quote