Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Herb/Parmesan Crackers

I made these last night from a original LC recipe called Nancy's Ritzy Crackers that LindaSue has on her site.

I tweaked it to make, I have to say, the BEST LC cracker I have tasted! I am so amazed how much they taste like a HC herb cracker! Here is the recipe:

Herb/Parmesan Crackers:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Splendid Bake Mix (Jennifer Eloff Recipe at bottom of this recipe)
2 teas. sweetener
1 egg white
3/8 teas. salt
1/8 teas. garlic powder
1/8 teas. onion powder
1 to 2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese (more or less to taste. I used a heaping Tbs)
2 teas. un-toasted sesame seeds
2 Tbs softened butter
1/2 Tbs Italian herbs of choice (I used an herb mixture of oregano and basil......also use more herbs if you want a stronger herb taste)

Mix all ingredients well in bowl. Chill dough for 20 minutes.

Take about 1/2 teas. of dough, roll into a ball and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Do this until the cookie sheet is filled, placing the dough balls about 1 1/2 inches apart.

Using the bottom of a baking powder can or any item that has a 1/8" height rim around like the baking powder can, place a small piece of plastic wrap on each dough ball and press down until the can hits the cookie sheet.

Peel off plastic and move to the next dough ball until all are have been pressed and shaped.
Prick with fork.

Bake at 325 F for 15 -20 minutes, or until golden brown. After 15 minutes, check every minute or so to make sure they don't get too browned.

Cool and store in a air tight container at room temp. or freeze for longer storage.

SPLENDID LOW-CARB BAKE MIX™ (Thanks, Jennifer Eloff)

1 2/3 cups ground almonds (400 mL)
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein* (150 mL)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten (150 mL)

In large bowl, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein and vital wheat gluten. Use a large wooden spoon to stir and mix well. Store in a closed container at room temperature. Shake container to ensure ingredients are combined well.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 04-19-2010 at 07:23 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Beeb those look so yummy!! I have been wanting to make some crackers and craving some that were close to real ones too!! Thank you for posting these, I will try these very soon!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
OH, YUMMY!!

I have been CRAVING crunchy, salty, cheese holders!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Those crackers look very pretty, Beeb.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
Those crackers look very pretty, Beeb.
Your friend Nancy's recipe with a few tweaks. We have you to thank for the original posting of this recipe. If you hadn't posted this, these crackers would not be tempting me right now!

THANKS, LINDASUE!!

Last edited by Beeb; 04-19-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
OHMYGOSH.....Those are gorgeous. I've got to try these!!

Thank you!!
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #7

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Beeb: I love crackers alot..But, I'm still making ice cream..so I'll wait a while for these..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Those look wonderful. Congratulations!

If you want crackers just for yourself to put something on, this works well too:I find crackers to be a dangerously slippery slope for portion control. This has got to be a common thing, right? Chomp chomp If you want crackers just to put something on, this is good. It's surprising they work, but they do. Making only 8 crackers at a time limits the binging potential.

1/4 c almond meal
1 tablespoon flaxmeal
salt
1/4 c water

whisk together, pour into a silicon loaf pan, and make sure it covers the bottom as evenly as possible as you put it in the microwave. Microwave on high for hmmmmmmmmm it's been awhile since I made these... 2 minutes? perhaps 3. you can touch the center and make sure it's not liquidy.

turn it out onto a cutting board and cut down the middle and then 4 times crosswise, making 8 crackers. put them on a plate and microwave another minute or so, to make sure they are crisp, but watch so they don't burn.

4 crackers is 105 calories, 8.6 gr fat, 4.25 gr protein, 3.5 carb minus 2.5 fiber is 1 gram net carbs.

When I shared these with a non-low-carb fussy male friend of mine, he said people would pay a lot of money for them, especially because of the slightly rustic hand-made look.

Last edited by ravenrose; 04-19-2010 at 11:42 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Look good and SO tempting!!

I will wait and try them this summer...LOL!!

Too much tempting for me right now!!
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Beeb, I agree with Linda Sue that those crackers are so pretty! They look like store-bought crackers! Wow, you are on a roll here!! I definitely want to try these soon. I'm doing Induction right now, but soon. Gee, I'm hungry now after opening your two threads.

Ravenrose, your crackers sound very unusual and nice too. Clever the way you take them out of the microwave oven, cut them and then put them back to crisp up.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Beeb, I agree with Linda Sue that those crackers are so pretty! They look like store-bought crackers! Wow, you are on a roll here!! I definitely want to try these soon. I'm doing Induction right now, but soon. Gee, I'm hungry now after opening your two threads.

Ravenrose, your crackers sound very unusual and nice too. Clever the way you take them out of the microwave oven, cut them and then put them back to crisp up.
Couldn't have done it without your bake mix and the recipe from LindaSue's site.

THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU!!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #12

OK........got some Carbalose and have been playing around with it for the last couple of days.

Made these again, but subbed Jennifer's Splendid Bake Mix with Carbalose..............BIG MISTAKE!

Even though the flavor is soooooooo much like a real cracker, they aren't that crisp at all.

Disappointed, but lesson learned: if you find a winner, don't mess around with it!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Don't mess with perfection, hey, Beeb. I forgot about these. I really want to make them. They look like storebought crackers. What a good job!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MNLisaB
Stats: 222/155/140??
WOE: low carb, portion control
Start Date: 9/1/06
I'm so here

Simply beautiful, not sure I would be able to duplicate so they look like that...but I can sure try. Came very close to buying a box of Wheat Thins, glad I didn't.
MNLisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNLisaB View Post
Simply beautiful, not sure I would be able to duplicate so they look like that...but I can sure try. Came very close to buying a box of Wheat Thins, glad I didn't.
They are very easy and I promise you won't be disappointed with the taste! Let us know how they come out if you make them. Glad you stepped away from the Wheat Thins, too!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dBailey
Stats: 209/175/175
WOE: maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I made these last night from a original LC recipe called Nancy's Ritzy Crackers that LindaSue has on her site.

I tweaked it to make, I have to say, the BEST LC cracker I have tasted! I am so amazed how much they taste like a HC herb cracker! Here is the recipe:

Herb/Parmesan Crackers:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Splendid Bake Mix (Jennifer Eloff Recipe at bottom of this recipe)
2 teas. sweetener
1 egg white
3/8 teas. salt
1/8 teas. garlic powder
1/8 teas. onion powder
1 to 2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese (more or less to taste. I used a heaping Tbs)
2 teas. un-toasted sesame seeds
2 Tbs softened butter
1/2 Tbs Italian herbs of choice (I used an herb mixture of oregano and basil......also use more herbs if you want a stronger herb taste)

Mix all ingredients well in bowl. Chill dough for 20 minutes.

Take about 1/2 teas. of dough, roll into a ball and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Do this until the cookie sheet is filled, placing the dough balls about 1 1/2 inches apart.

Using the bottom of a baking powder can or any item that has a 1/8" height rim around like the baking powder can, place a small piece of plastic wrap on each dough ball and press down until the can hits the cookie sheet.

Peel off plastic and move to the next dough ball until all are have been pressed and shaped.
Prick with fork.

Bake at 325 F for 15 -20 minutes, or until golden brown. After 15 minutes, check every minute or so to make sure they don't get too browned.

Cool and store in a air tight container at room temp. or freeze for longer storage.

SPLENDID LOW-CARB BAKE MIX™ (Thanks, Jennifer Eloff)

1 2/3 cups ground almonds (400 mL)
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein* (150 mL)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten (150 mL)

In large bowl, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein and vital wheat gluten. Use a large wooden spoon to stir and mix well. Store in a closed container at room temperature. Shake container to ensure ingredients are combined well.

Are the ground almonds in the baking mix the same as the almond flour in the ingredients above it? I've heard that almond flour is simply ground almonds....
Dennis
dBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBailey View Post
Are the ground almonds in the baking mix the same as the almond flour in the ingredients above it? I've heard that almond flour is simply ground almonds....
Dennis
I use almond flour in the bake mix and have never had a problem, but Jennifer is the one to tell you about this. Hopefully she will chime in soon! You are right about the ground almonds; very finely ground almonds make almond flour.

Last edited by Beeb; 06-07-2010 at 10:20 AM..
Old 06-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It was meant to read almond flour (very finely ground almonds) in the bake mix as that is what I originally used when developing my recipes. If you use almonds, ground (a coarser meal) - then add an extra 1/2 cup almonds, ground to the bake mix. You don't have to do this but it helps to get more or less the same composition as what I used with the almond flour in the bake mix. You'll get good results either way even if you forget.

Beeb, this recipe looks astoundingly good! I must try it one of these days real soon. When I do, I'd love to showcase it on my blog, with your permission and credit given to you, of course! I love that photo!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
It was meant to read almond flour (very finely ground almonds) in the bake mix as that is what I originally used when developing my recipes. If you use almonds, ground (a coarser meal) - then add an extra 1/2 cup almonds, ground to the bake mix. You don't have to do this but it helps to get more or less the same composition as what I used with the almond flour in the bake mix. You'll get good results either way even if you forget.

Beeb, this recipe looks astoundingly good! I must try it one of these days real soon. When I do, I'd love to showcase it on my blog, with your permission and credit given to you, of course! I love that photo!
Thanks Jennifer and be my guest! I love this recipe for the crackers but I have also found that if I grind up some crackers I can use it in my meatballs/meatloaf, too!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I had to make these crackers, they looked just way to good! I used coconut flour in Jennifer's bake mix (instead of whey) and I used thyme for the herbs. DH thinks they taste like chicken in a biscuit crackers. Very yummy. They are a bit of a pain to make though (rolling all those little balls of dough), but worth it!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #21
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
omg i have been wanting crackers..will have to add this to my to try list next month
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
They are a bit of a pain to make though (rolling all those little balls of dough), but worth it!
I use a 1 teaspoon cookie scoop to make my crackers. No more rolling the dough into little balls and they all come out exactly the same size.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Beeb, these look so good. Going to have to try these, but I doubt I can make them as pretty as you did. Thanks Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #24

Quote:
I use a 1 teaspoon cookie scoop to make my crackers. No more rolling the dough into little balls and they all come out exactly the same size.
OK, LindaSue, where did you get this 1 teaspoon cookie scoop and how do you do it for the crackers?

BTW, so nice to see you posting on the boards again, I missed you as I'm sure everyone else did!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Ah! A tsp cookie scoop would be ideal for these! Thanks for the idea Linda Sue! Now I just need to find one.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
I just found a 1.5 tsp scoop at amazon.
Amazon.com: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 25MM (1.5...Amazon.com: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 25MM (1.5...
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #27

A 1.5 teaspoon scoop would be too big for making crackers. I think you might have trouble getting them to bake evenly if they were that size but I could be wrong. They come out about the size of a Ritz cracker using 1 teaspoon of dough. I found mine at a local hardware store that sells a lot of kitchen gadgets. It looks like this:

Beeb, I just take a scoopful of the dough and drop it mounded side up on my baking sheet then press the mounds down using the baking powder can method.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #28

Quote:
A 1.5 teaspoon scoop would be too big for making crackers. I think you might have trouble getting them to bake evenly if they were that size but I could be wrong. They come out about the size of a Ritz cracker using 1 teaspoon of dough. I found mine at a local hardware store that sells a lot of kitchen gadgets. It looks like this:

Beeb, I just take a scoopful of the dough and drop it mounded side up on my baking sheet then press the mounds down using the baking powder can method.
Thanks, LindaSue!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JunkInMyTrunk
The pictures look the same to me. When I googled a teaspoon scoop, the one from King Arthur Flour Co. said a teaspoon scoop 1 and 3/4 teaspoons.
Is the amazon site just being more truthful about how much is in the teaspoon scoop or is there really a 1 and 1/2 teaspoon scoop and a true 1 teaspoon scoop?

From King Arthur Flour:
Note: This scoop doesn't measure exactly 1 teaspoon; it's sized to mirror the approximate amount of dough a baker gets when using the traditional dinner-table teaspoon to scoop cookie dough. If you're looking for a foodservice (restaurant) size, it's #100.

Last edited by JunkInMyTrunk; 06-14-2010 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Added verbiage from King Arthur site
JunkInMyTrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkInMyTrunk View Post
The pictures look the same to me. When I googled a teaspoon scoop, the one from King Arthur Flour Co. said a teaspoon scoop 1 and 3/4 teaspoons.
Is the amazon site just being more truthful about how much is in the teaspoon scoop or is there really a 1 and 1/2 teaspoon scoop and a true 1 teaspoon scoop?
I wondered the same thing so yesterday I filled my 1 teaspoon scoop with water and poured it into a measuring spoon and it was exactly a teaspoon of water.