Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adiasmc1
Stats: 5'1" - 193/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Black Bean Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (w/pics)

Warning!!! This is not a "health" food, this is a pretty decadent chocolate cake for special occasions or a party or something, not to be eaten every day It is really rich and chocolatey. I cut the whole cake into 15 peices, but you could probably do even smaller ones to make the cals/carbs less. I compared it to usual high carb cakes that I have made like this and it is about the same in cals and fat, but WAY less in carbs. Oh, and it doesn't taste like beans at all, you can't even taste them, so don't be scared

Ok, I took the basic recipe from the other thread on the Black Bean cake and doubled it and tweaked it and made a three-layer cake.....

Cake:

30 oz can of black beans (SunVista were the lowest in carbs)
8 eggs
2 cups of splenda
6 tbsp of cocoa powder
6 tbsp of butter
2 tbsp of vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
8 oz of cream cheese
1 tsp of baking powder
4 oz unsweetened chocolate

Preheat the oven to 350.

Drain and rinse the beans really well.

Put the beans, the vanilla and 4 tbsp of melted butter in the food processor and mix the beans really well, so that it is completely smooth.

Melt the chocolate in the microwave.

Melt/soften the butter and cream cheese (either in the micro or have it room tempeture).

Then throw the bean mixture and the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and blend with a hand mixer (or stand mixer) until completely smooth.

Pour into three round cake pans and bake in the oven for 20 - 30 mins (depending on your oven). Mine only took 20 mins.

Frosting:

16 oz of cream cheese
3-6 tbsp of cocoa powder (I used about 6)
4 cups of Jennifer Eloff's Confectioner's Sugar Sub (2 1/4 cups splenda, 1 1/3 cups milk powder, 2/3 cups of vanilla whey protein - shake it all together in a closed container)
1 stick of butter
2 tbsp of atkins mocha shake (you could use some other liquid here, davinci's or whatever, I was doing this on the fly and needed liquid and that is all I had that was chocolatey).

Melt the butter and soften the cream cheese.
Mix together the confectioner sub in a seperate container.
Then add everything into the same bowl and mix all the ingredients together. It will look a little grainy at first, just keep mixing it until it blends smoother.

Put the frosting in the fridge for a little bit for it to get cold.

Frost the cakes once they cool down a little bit.

Put it back in the fridge for at least 30 mins before you eat it.

I will admit that at first I was a little disappointed because I am a big time baker and this doesn't taste exactly like a high carb chocolate cake. Which I guess I can't expect it too. It tastes more like one of those rich chocolate tortes you get at a restaurant. (Example: Last weekend for a family party I made homemade hostess chocolate cupcakes, red velvet cake and a double chocolate kaluha cake - none of which I could eat of course - but I still love making them).

So I am not quite used to low-carb baking yet.

But for my first try, I think this came out pretty well. After I finished the slice, I really, really liked it.

Nutrition facts for each of the 15 slices, including frosting:

500 cals
33g fat
13 carbs (net subtracting the fiber)
6 protein

I will try making it again in a few weeks and if I have any more tweaks, I will come back and add those in....feel free to do the same
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1333.jpg (55.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1338.jpg (43.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1339.jpg (54.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1337.jpg (53.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1340.jpg (55.7 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by adiasmc1; 04-12-2010 at 05:07 PM..
adiasmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mslaster
that is a pretty cake
mslaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
That's a thing of beauty!

Just a note, in case you didn't already know this - you can reduce the carbs significantly by choosing another sweetener - granular Splenda contains 24 grams of carbs PER CUP!

I now pretty much use erythritol (basically no carbs) and stevia (same) in place of Splenda. OR, I might use liquid Splenda on occasion too, although I find a combo of sweeteners generally works better than one alone anyway!

GREAT JOB on that cake though!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I know....but I can't have erythritol, it causes me significant intestinal distress and I can't have any of the other sweetners either, they all make me sick and have serious bathroom issues. I am so ridiculously sensitive. I can only eat splenda

I don't have liquid splenda yet, just ordered some, so I might try that next time and I did order some erythritol too, I thought I might try it again, but I doubt I can use it.

But other people could totally do that to reduce carbs...I would do it too if I could (dumb tummy )

I ordered some DaVinci's too, so next time I make this I will play around a little with it.

Today I was just itching to bake since it was my day off and I had to use what I had on hand.

Last edited by adiasmc1; 04-12-2010 at 08:19 PM..
Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Yes, but if you use liquid, then it would change the volume for the cake.

And what a clever idea -- does it really have the taste and texture of regular cake??
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, that is why I was saying I will have to mess around with it because the liquid will change the consistency and I will have to work that out. I might be able to use half liquid and half granular though and cut down on the carbs/calories....

Yes, it is a little bit heavier than regular cake, not as fluffy, I would say, probably because no flour....it is kind of like a dense chocolate torte. That is the best way I can describe it. Like those ones in restaurants, those really dense chocolatey cake things. It tastes more chocolatey than sugary. Regular cake to me always tastes more sugary than chocolatey. This is like dark chocolate, dense cake.

It was pretty good. Really rich and chocolatey. I cut it into 15 pieces, but it was almost too much, you could probably make them smaller and cut down the carbs and calories a little more. You could probably make it square too and then that would be easier to make smaller pieces. Or even mini cupcakes or something...

But it was really good for being low carb, I was kind of suprised. I was worried it would be gross and kind of artificial tasting. But I think I could take it to a regular party and people wouldn't notice. My mom and dad will be here tomorrow and I will have them taste it and tell me what they think. And they don't eat low carb.

Too bad we can't pass things through the computer, I would love for you guys to taste it and tell me what you think

Last edited by adiasmc1; 04-12-2010 at 10:14 PM..
Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Liquid Splenda won't alter the texture of the cake, as the granular stuff basically turns to nothin' as soon as moisture hits it, and the concentrated liquid Splenda (like Sweetzfree) adds next to nothing in the way of volume.

Now, DaVinci would be different, as the sweetening power of it is similar to granulated - in other words, a cup of DV would sweeten about the same as a cup of Splenda, or sugar. That would most definitely alter the texture.

But it's fun to experiment! I hope the new Erythritol works for you - it's one of the sweeteners that doesn't bother me at all from a tummy standpoint.

Have you tried the NuNaturals NuStevia no carbs stevia powder, in the 3.5 ounce plastic container? It's very concentrated and no bitter aftertaste, I love it!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
How come this isn't health food? Pure chocolate, buttercream and black beans were all supposed to be extremely nutritious the last time I looked.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Wow, Jen, that cake looks so delicious! Yum!!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
MMMMM!! a thing of true Yummy!!! and just like I like, love cheesecakes and such to be heavy/dense, this is a must try, TY
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
I guess you could always use black soy beans instead of the black beans to lower the carb count to help out a bit, if you can tolerate soy. I subbed those in the brownies and it was delicious!

You did a fabulous job on that cake!! It is beautiful!!
DBrown8614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hmmm..I don't think the 500 calorie amount per piece is correct..I got about 373 per piece using the amount of carbs/protein/fat..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I will make this soon..I have 2 9 inch pans, so I will use them instead of the 3 pans..
I might cut the recipe down a bit, but what do you think????
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Char - I will have to try the stevia powder....I usually don't like stevia, but I have only had it in my coffee and haven't cooked with it. I am willing to try different things. Thanks. This is really the first thing I have "baked" that was LC. I make oopsies and other recipes, but this was the first real dessert thing I have made so I will try all the different sweetners and see what is the best.

Creek - ha ha, yeah, but it still is cake and it is kinda high in calories for one slice, so I just didn't want people thinking it was something "healthy" that they could eat all day, everyday

Thanks, Jen. I just got all your cookbooks and can't wait to start baking all the stuff in there. I love to bake....I don't really like to eat it, but I love to cook it...my husband always makes fun of me. Although, he loves that I bake him all kinds of stuff (high carb though since he is a skinny minny and works out like 6 days a week.)

Thanks Mule, it was pretty yummy, really rich and chocolatey. My mom who doesn't low carb had some today and she said she liked it and would have never guessed what it was made with.

DBrown - I didn't realize the soy were a lot lower. I will have to look and see. I don't eat a lot of soy, but I don't think it bothers me. Good idea. Thank you.

It might not be Carolyn, but that was for the cake and the frosting, I will have to look at it again...maybe I entered someting wrong....plus I was trying to do it while my son had a meltdown And I doubled and tweaked the original recipe that I took this from, so I am sure you could cut it in half and just make a smaller cake. It would totally work. If you make it, let me know how it turns out.

I am going to try and make it again in a week or two after this gets all eaten. By then I will have some of the stuff I ordered from netrition and then I can try some different sweetners and maybe the different beans and see what I can do with it.

Last edited by adiasmc1; 04-13-2010 at 04:40 PM..
Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Jen, just to save you some trouble - I've tried ALL kinds of stevia and the ONLY one I consistently use now is the NuNaturals NuStevia No Carbs stuff - they have it in packets and in the aforementioned 3.5 ounce plastic jar. It has no detectable aftertaste to me (and I've tried LOTS of stevia brands, most with horrid results!) and does particularly well when mixed with a little erythritol or other sweetener. Hope you like it!

Can't wait for more of your baking pictures!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Jen, just to save you some trouble - I've tried ALL kinds of stevia and the ONLY one I consistently use now is the NuNaturals NuStevia No Carbs stuff - they have it in packets and in the aforementioned 3.5 ounce plastic jar. It has no detectable aftertaste to me (and I've tried LOTS of stevia brands, most with horrid results!) and does particularly well when mixed with a little erythritol or other sweetener. Hope you like it!

Can't wait for more of your baking pictures!

I agree with Charski, the NuNaturals stevia mixed with erythritol and splenda is great for sweetening. The mixture has more of a real sugar taste than one sweetener alone. I still can't do any if the stevia alone, even the nunaturals but I love this mix.

Bobo's sweetener blend
1 splenda quickpack (1 cup equilavent)
1 cup erythritol
1/4 tsp NuNaturals Stevia powder

I mix up a few batches and keep it in a canister and use 1/2 to 2/3 cup for each cup sugar. It has worked in all applications I have used it in and no cooling effect from the E.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Shadow, I don't have any of the splenda quick pack and I don't think they make them anymore do they? Can you make your own equivelant?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Oh, I just found a thread where LoCarbman talks about making your own....

Man, I am really going to have to experiment...there is so many different things. Jeez, I wish I could just stay home and cook.

Well, I am going to try some things this weekend. I will let you all know how they come out.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #19
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Oh my how did I miss this, it looks Yummerwonderful!!! I'm going to try it. Thanks for the recipe.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiasmc1 View Post
Shadow, I don't have any of the splenda quick pack and I don't think they make them anymore do they? Can you make your own equivelant?
I was just going to send you to that exact thread, I see you found it for yourself. I have never tried to make my own, hope it works for you.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Charski........I have granular and powdered erythritol and I have the NuStevia......How much do I use of each for this recipe? Thanks.
B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #22
Gadget Gal

If it was me, I'd use 2 cups of granular erythritol and a teaspoon of the NuNaturals, then taste the batter prior to baking. Things seem to lose a little sweetness in baking, to my taste buds, so you'd want it just a TAD bit sweeter than you think it should be when finished.

I always use the same amount of E as the recipe calls for in Splenda or sugar, then ADD the NuStevia powder to that. Most E runs 70 to 80% as sweet as sugar, but the bulking properties are similar to sugar, so I find that ratio works pretty well for most stuff.

Disclaimer - I have not MADE this recipe, so if you try it as I suggest above, it will be an EXPERIMENT!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Ok, I tried making a lemon cake this weekend, but it didn't work out. It wasn't totally gross, but it wasn't good either. I couldn't get the right balance for the tart and sweet. I think I might try another fruit, like strawberry or raspberry and see if that is a little better. I made some chocolate covered macaroons too, but it is so hard to get the chocolate to sweeten perfectly....still have to work on that

I am also going to make the cake in this thread again. I finally ate the last piece last night and I have to say that I really, really love it. I basically had a piece almost every night and still lost 1.5 pounds for the week. So that is even better. I am hoping when I make it this time that if I do the sweetners a little different that I can make it even better and lower in cals/carbs.

I really do love this WOE and with all the wonderful help from everyone on this site and all the terrific recipes, it just makes it all that much better. Thanks again everyone and I will post any changes I make this weekend to this cake

Happy cooking and baking
Old 04-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #24
Gadget Gal

If you want to try a really good lemon cake - try the Flourless Lemon Cake - I've made it countless times and we love it.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...emon-cake.html
Old 04-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
yup - made it before and everyone who's NOT lowcarbing that i gave it to even loved it!
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Ok, cool, thanks. I will have to try that one. I was just making my own from a bunch of other recipes I was pulling from but the tart and sweet wasn't right

I will try this one. Besides making yummy stuff for myself, I try and make something each week for my parents, who babysit my son at my house, so they can eat it. My dad had a stroke in November and although he won't eat low carb, I try to sneak it in when I can. I figure the less sugar he eats at all the better.

Woo hoo!

I wish we all lived close together...It would be fun to have like a baking support group where we could meet every two weeks or so, try out new baked treats and talk about any other WOE things we needed support on
Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another Confectioner's Sugar Sub

Hi Jen from another Jen!

I just noticed that you used my confectioner's sugar sub! Here is another recipe I came up with recently that you can double, triple or whatever to get more:

Betty Crocker-like Frosting:
(The low-carb syrup has thickeners in it and it makes this frosting a thicker mixture)

1/2 cup Splenda Granular
4 tbsp powdered erythritol
4 tbsp whole milk powder
1 to 2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp low-carb syrup (such as Estee, Maple Flavored Syrup using Splenda)
3 tbsp butter, very slightly softened

In blender, combine Splenda Granular, powdered erythritol, whole milk powder and cornstarch. Add sugar free syrup and butter; blend until well combined.

The dry mixture up to cornstarch in the listing above can be stored in the refrigerator until required. It will rival the real thing any day! No one will guess and that's the best part.

Yield: ¾ cup delicious frosting. Double the recipe for 1½ cups frosting. The frosting is slightly maple-flavored and, in my opinion, is quite a bit nicer than some of the frostings for cakes and cupcakes that one buys in the containers with the soft plastic top (you know which ones I mean?). Add cocoa and more melted butter (unsalted would be good) for a chocolate frosting.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiasmc1 View Post
Thanks, Jen. I just got all your cookbooks and can't wait to start baking all the stuff in there. I love to bake....I don't really like to eat it, but I love to cook it...my husband always makes fun of me. Although, he loves that I bake him all kinds of stuff (high carb though since he is a skinny minny and works out like 6 days a week.)
Too funny! I think I'd be a real skinny minny if I could do that - i.e. bake something yummy and not eat it. Wow, you are longsuffering having to bake high carb stuff. Maybe he will begin to enjoy some of the healthier low-carb baking over time.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Jen...and yes, your books are awesome! I just used your LC bake mix this last weekend too. So cool!

I will try that frosting...that sounds good. I like maple. And I never used that canned stuff anyway...fresh from scratch for me Not that hard and sooo much yummier! I am still kind of experimenting with the erythritol though...becasue the first time I tried it, it sent me running for the restroom :blush: So I tried a little bit this last weekend and it seemed ok, a little rumbly, but I have yet to go full try on it. I will have to make sure I can stay home just in case.

Ha ha...I know, luckily I am not too tempted by the HC baked goods. I just like to make them. And plus, there is all this good stuff to bake that is LC. But even when I ate regular, I would bake every weekend and hardly eat it. So yeah, every weekend now I am making LC stuff and baking high carb treats for my hubby....this last weekend was fudge brownies with chocolate ganache frosting for him....so maybe one of these days I can sneak a LC one in there.

If I win the lottery one day, I am going to open a dessert shop where people can come in and buy whole cakes and things like that but also sit and have dessert and coffee or tea. So if I do that, ha ha, it will be good that I don't really like to eat them. But also, it would be kind of cool because maybe by the time I win the lottery I will have a lot of LC/Sugar-free options for people that would like them! Let's go winning numbers!

Last edited by adiasmc1; 04-21-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Old 04-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, you're welcome to use my recipes in that shop if your dream comes true. It's nice to offer low-carb and sugar free goodies too. Yes, that would be a good thing the fact that you can take or leave desserts. Wow - maybe you like salty things more? My eldest son is like that. He doesn't even like chocolate. Geesh! Is that even normal? My youngest son takes after me though when it comes to desserts. However, I don't make desserts or sweet things too-too often, because I know I will eat 'em. I usually keep my daily sweet treats to plain yogurt, sweetened with a Splenda packet and topped with walnuts, blueberries and a swirl of sugar free maple syrup - yummy! Weekends and social occasions are when I splurge a little and then freeze leftovers or give them away. I like to have something on hand otherwise I can get sorely tempted.

That might be a tall order - i.e. sneaking in low-carb brownies in place of those yummy-sounding high-carb ones - your poor DH is going to notice! Even although there is one of mine I could recommend, it will still not taste quite the same unfortunately. Perhaps with a mix of erythritol and Splenda my recipe would be much better - I suspect so. I suspect Kevinpa's (on LCF's) cookie bake mix might make an awesome brownie and mixed with one of my bake mixes - maybe even better, who knows. I did find out recently that mixing my bake mix with Carbalose flour (available from Netrition) makes a yummy bake mix - even nicer. I experimented with it in blueberry muffins - on this board and on my blog. I will do that again sometime.

You are the first person I have heard of who has tummy issues with erythritol. That's sad. It's not supposed to do that. All the other sugar alcohols can be problematic, some of them worse than others, also depending on the individual's sensitivity.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 04-21-2010 at 01:07 PM..