Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #31
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
how do u store this cake? fridge? i'm guessing since its baked beans it may go bad?!!?
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adiasmc1
Stats: 5'1" - 193/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
I know, Jen I was so bummed when my tummy went rumbly with the E. I was so excited because I can't go near any of the other ones and when I heard E was supposed to be one that didn't cause problems, I was so excited.

I will try it again though before I give up

And yeah, my DH says I am crazy, because I don't really like chocolate all that much either. I know...CRAZY!

My weakness is cheese. I would eat dirt if it was covered in cheese and hot sauce

Chantyl....I put mine in the fridge and it lasted for a week and a 1/2. I just ate the last piece last night. It was starting to dry out, but it was still yummy. You could probably leave it out, but I wouldn't for more than a few days, it probably would get moldy. And plus with the cream cheese and stuff in the frosting I would worry it would get runny and kind of melt off. I am going to make it again this weekend with some different sweetners to see if I can lower the carbs/cals a little.

Ha ha it's horrible because I want to make all these different things but I obviously can't eat them all unless I just eat LC baked goods exclusively, which I think I would get sick of

So I will have to pick one or two only. So this cake and then maybe something else, we'll see.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Ok, I re-did this recipe last night, it turned out really, really good. I liked the first one, but this one is even better...lighter, fudgier and creamier

I will post the revision recipe in a little bit....have to feed my family
adiasmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Ok, here is the updated recipe...I like this one better, so does my mom, who doesn't LC..

Cake:

30 oz black beans (this time I used S&W brand)
8 eggs
2 cups sugar sub (I used 1/2 cup Erythritol and 44 drops Ez-Sweet)
6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
8 tbsp butter
2 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
8 oz cream cheese
4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate

Mix it all the same way according to the first recipe. Bake @ 350 for about 20-25 mins. Make sure and spray the pans with pam or something so the cake doesn't stick. I did 3 round cake pans and made 3 layers of cake, 3 layers of frosting.

Frosting:

32 oz cream cheese @ room temp (I had some extra frosting left so you could do less)
12 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 stick of butter @ room temp
2 cups sugar sub (I used 50 drops Ez-sweet)
1 cup Davinci's Chocolate Syrup
1/2 cup Davinci's Kalhua Syrup

Mix it all together until it is creamy and fluffy.

I cut it into 13 pieces and got the following nutrition info for each piece:

400 cals
38g fat
13g protein
14 carb
5 fiber
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1443.jpg (48.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1444.jpg (49.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1446.jpg (41.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1447.jpg (39.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1449.jpg (44.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-10-2010, 03:51 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
Thanks for the update

BTW------ I loved the original
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: akatkando
Stats: 282/197.0/150
WOE: Gave up white flour/sugar later began Somersize
Start Date: Mod. Diet Jan 2009 began Somersizing mid-May 2009
My, oh my, this looks of so good! I have saved both recipes and all of the pictures for a future baking date.

Some day when I get off my strawberry binge, probably after strawberry season I will try the second recipe, since you say that, that one is your favorite.

I follow Suzanne Somers way-of-eating I would try using the Eden Brand Black Soy Beans as other Somersizers have said that they have been able to eat the black-soy beans with pro-fats and have been still able to lose.

The Eden Foods Black Soy Beans have 3.5 net carbs per 15 ounce can versus the 38.5 net carbs for the S&W Black Beans. That would also help with the total product carb count. That sounds like a good option for me!

I have never tried baking with them except for baked beans and I have used them with home-made chili and they have not created a stall. Somersizing doe not permit mixing carb meals with pro-fat meals, hence the use of beans with eggs, butter, cream cheese, etc., could not been done without creating an imbalance in one's metabolism.

I may also need to wait until I am at goal as the addition of chocolate can cause an imbalance creating a possible stall for some people following her plan. Tomorrow is my one-year anniversary for starting Somersizing for my second time and I have not consumed any chocolate for over a year now.

I am almost afraid to wake the chocolate demon, if it does cause me a problem. I would like to think that I could be strong enough to over come a chocolate demon??? I cannot remember how chocolate tastes, so for now I am not missing anything... lol! I do know that it is good and your pictures go to prove it!

Oops, I forgot, I do use Torani sugar-free chocolate syrup in my protein drinks, but I know that, that does not impart the same intense flavor that would be in this cake.

I hope if someone else tries the recipe with the black-soy beans that they will post their opinion and taste-test results.

Cathy

Last edited by akatkando; 05-15-2010 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Poor job of proof reading!!!
akatkando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Cathy -- I've made both the black bean brownies and black bean cake with Eden black soy beans and they work perfectly.

Congratulations on your weight loss!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Cathy -- I've made both the black bean brownies and black bean cake with Eden black soy beans and they work perfectly.

Congratulations on your weight loss!
Thank you so very much for your reply... that is great news, for when I get ready to give this recipe a go.

Thank you on the congrats! I just came out of a one day short of an 11 week stall two weeks ago and before that I only had a 15 day period of weight loss after coming out of another 11 week and 1 day stall... whew!

I am on day 14 of this current period of losing and I am holding my breath the see what the next few days to a week hold for me as far as continuing to lose.

Those 11 week stalls are oh so loooooonnnnnng with which to deal and to be able to keep a happy face the whole time isn't always easy... lol!!! I just keep, keeping positive and keep the mindset that it will eventually end.

Cathy

Last edited by akatkando; 05-15-2010 at 03:36 PM..
Old 05-16-2010, 01:19 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Cathy, I only use black soy beans and the cake came out wonderful. A year without chocolate? I admire your willpower. I know wwhat you mean about waking the chocolate demon. Sometimes a little chocolate is harder to tolerate than none at all.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:51 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Thank you for sharing. My birthday is coming up and would love to indulge in a chocolate cake on plan.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Can someone please share the brownie recipe!! PLEASE!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
Can someone please share the brownie recipe!! PLEASE!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...+bean+brownies
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Soobee,

I have amazed myself by the will power that I have developed over the past year+; I have never before had the stick-to-it power to make up my mind to do something like this and not waiver.

I have learned a good deal about myself and the way in which I can now approach daily-life... this has been a great growing experience for me... I just wish that it didn't take me almost 66 years to discover that I was capable of so doing!

I guess as the saying goes, "Better late than never!".

What became the final turning point for me was the ongoing, increasing, fasting blood sugar testing results over a number of years. When I received the results from my test run 1-30-2009 and it had reached 128, I knew that I had to become serious about a long-term, life-style change.

All of the test results for 2009 indicated a steady climb and my PCP never made mention of it to me; but I knew that things were not going well for me in the grand scheme of things.

I discussed my test results with my homeopath, who was also a M.D. and he told me with the proper diet change that I could reverse my problem... just do, stick with it and see!

That is exactly what I did when I cut out all things with sugar, bread, potatoes, etc. and I then switched to Somersizing; which I had done successfully one other time in the past, before reverting back to junk, prepared and fast foods.

I had some major mobility and pain issues that became so bad that I just wasn't able to manage to stand long enough to cook healthy. I had also become my mother's caregiver for close to five years as she was wheelchair confined and I had to walk with the aid of a walker and could barely stand myself.

I was lucky to make it to the kitchen once a day to prepare a frozen dinner for both of us. When the lady would come that did the marketing for us, I would also give her money to pick up fast-food for us, enough to last for part of the week so I would only have to reheat it.

This became a very bad time for me and I ended up doing the best that I could do for both of us during that time.

This past year I have undergone numerous minor-surgical procedures, which are short-lived, where the nerves are burned along my spine that do afford me "some" pain relief. So. that with the aid of lots of pain pills and sitting to rest while trying to cook for myself, I have been successful so far in being able to eat healthy.

In looking back to 2002, I had a reading of 111 and 113, 2003 it was 122 and 121, 2004 it was 110, in 2006 it was 116 and 103. I believe it was in 2004 that, that doctor told me I was glucose intolerant.

For my test results taken July 17, 2009, my fasting glucose reading had dropped to 109. I was retested on January 15, 2010, and the reading then was 102. I am well on my way to a "normal" reading with my life-style change!

I pray every night that my physical condition will remain as such that I will be able to continue to cook for myself, as that is what will help me to become healthier and hopefully extend my life.

I definitely will be looking forward to one of these delicious-looking chocolate cakes made with black-soy beans in my future!

Also, thank you, shadowzip, for the additional link for the other black-soy bean recipes.

JKat, wishing you a very and enjoy your cake!

Cathy
Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy, you have done an amazing job. It is so hard to be a caretaker. I know. Just getting through the day seems like challenge enough. Comgratulations on turning your life around. I wish you every success.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

I am going to get the black soy beans today and make this again with those to lower the carb count.

It seems really filling with the beans too, if I am honest I have sometimes eaten a slice for breakfast or dinner.

And when I make it, I pretty much eat a slice a day and I have still been losing...but it usually is in place of a meal

I will report back after I make the soy bean one today, but as other's have said, they have done it and it has turned out well.

Glad those of you who have tried this like it
Old 05-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandy998
Stats: 5'5" 220/192/140-125??
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Re-start 5/11/10 202lb
How did you avoid bitterness? I made the black bean cake recipe with splenda and was extremely disappointed. The texture was fine but the flavor was bitter and not sweet to me at all.
brandy998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Brandy....hmmm...that is wierd...and you used this recipe or did you use another one of the black bean ones?

When I first made the cake I used Splenda only because I hadn't bought any of the other sweeteners yet and it wasn't bitter at all....

Did you do anything different at all?

You could try tweaking it, using more cocoa powder or something to cut down on the bitterness...

I don't know....

Last edited by adiasmc1; 05-17-2010 at 05:57 PM..
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #48
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Chocolate and Splenda together are notorious for being bitter. Some of us just taste it more than others. DH has WAY more bitter receptors than I do, and he complains about certain things being bitter that taste just fine to me.

Experiment with some of the other sweeteners in combination, you'll get a better end result that way. The synergy of two or more sweeteners is always nicer than any of them on their own, IMHO.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

I agree now with Charski

I hadn't tried any of the other sweetners until she suggested it and then I got some of the liquid splenda (ez sweet) and erythritol from netrition and I used those in the second recipe and the one I just made with black soy beans and I think it is better than the just splenda one...

I must be the same way then, I can't taste the real bitterness with Splenda...

Sorry about that Brandy, what a bummer. But if you are up to it, try it with the other sweeteners, you won't regret it, it really is a good cake. Stops me from giving in to cravings all the time

Here are some pics of the cake with soybeans.

Made it pretty much exactly as the second recipe, just using the black soybeans instead of regular black beans...

Nutrition information:

16 pieces equals:

Cals: 413
Fat: 37
Carbs:11
Fiber: 6
Protein: 15

So got it down from 9 NET carbs last time to 5 NET carbs this time....not bad Thanks soybean recommenders!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1462.jpg (41.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1463.jpg (39.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1480.jpg (54.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by adiasmc1; 05-17-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Brandy, I really notice the bitterness with just sucralose and chocolate. If you use some erythritol in combination with any other sweetener you like including sucralose, it will taste delicious.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandy998
Stats: 5'5" 220/192/140-125??
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Re-start 5/11/10 202lb
I haven't tried it again since I purchased the xylitol and the erythritol. I'm doing '72 induction so no black bean cake for me right now LOL! I do want to perfect my efforts though, because I want to have a "go to" for when someone in the family has a bday.
brandy998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, Soobee, for the kind words.

I am going to have to break down and buy some of the liquid Splenda. I was at the health food store (also a market), yesterday, where I where I pick up some of my specialty items and found the erythritol and picked up several bags. I now have some of that on hand. I, also, picked up some liquid Stevia, I already had some in powdered form.

I will have to look around and see if I can spot a recipe combination for a sweetener blend using Stevia, since I do have it in my cupboard. I only have the granular Splenda and hate using it because of the high carb content.

The recent photos posted for the black-soybean cake look so good. (All of the cake photos have looked good.) It looks so dense and rich... makes me want to lick my monitor... lol!

Cathy
Old 05-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Is Xylitol the same as erythrinol?? The only erythritol I can find is truvia. Will either of these work?? I do have the ezsweet and I will pick up black soy beans tomarrow.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Jkat,

They aren't the same, but I think you could probably use the xylitol...I just can't because it gives me really bad intestinal issues

But if you use the ezsweet and the xylitol, it would probably work.

I am not sure about the Truvia, since it is erythritol and something els, rebina or something, mixed together....it might work.

I ordered my erythritol from netrition but I think you can get it at health food stores.

It seems like a lot of the sweetners are interchangable and that it more just depends on your preference, especially if you are going to mix them.

Last edited by adiasmc1; 05-20-2010 at 07:54 PM..
Old 05-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Jen.

I did try the brownies the other day because it was quick and OMG I am in love. You did not even know they where black soy beans. I fooled the girls at wk.

I am going to make the cake for my birthday.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Jodi, I know, you can't even tell there are beans in there....it is pretty amazing! My mom was so surprised when I told her. I am so glad I found this cake because I just make it and it lasts me like a week and a half to 2 weeks in the fridge. It really helps when I want something sweet. I dont feel deprived at all and I am still losing when I eat it. Can't beat that

Work is killing me right now, but when I get a little more time I am going to try some other ones, but I really like this one.

Let me know how you like the cake when you make it!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kamills
Stats: 229/202/165 6'1
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: May 18th 2010
Yum
kamills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Bumping cuz I wanna give this a try for thanksgiving! Got some soy black beans at the farmers market today so I'm gonna give it a go
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote