Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
My Almost Lollipops!!

My BF was telling me about all day suckers he use to get on Halloween. I had never heard of them so looked it up online. All I could find were lollipop recipes. Then I got the idea to try and make lollipops. They came out pretty good although I don't have a thermometer, so they didn't come out quite as hard as a lollipop, more like a hard taffy. But, I think had I cooked it longer it would have been hard like a lollipop. They were really good, but I want to try making them again only cooking it longer, so they are more like a hard candy. I used a mini muffin pan that I sprayed well. They came right out after cooled. Maybe somebody else will try this and see what they can come up with.

Here is the recipe I used with my substitutes in parentheses. I also halved this recipe.

Homemade Lollipops

2 cups sugar (Ideal Sweetener)
2/3 cup water
1/8 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
Any desired flavoring ( I used lemon extract, didn't measure just poured some in. I think it could have used more, but the recipe didn't state how much so I guesstimated).
Appropriate vegetable coloring ( didn't use any)

Combine sugar and Cream of Tartar with the 2/3 cup water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Boil until a temp of 290 F. is reached or until a drop of mixture will become hard when dropped into cold water. Remove from heat. Add flavoring and coloring. Pour into greased pans or molds. When partly cooled insert wooden sticks. Chill.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Is Ideal sweetener the same as xylitol? Is another sweetener mixed in?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Under Ingredients it says Xylitol, Malodextrin and less than 3% Sucralose for added sweetness.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Clever, Ginaaaaaa! Folks watch Xylitol in that sweetener around dogs and pets - deadly, unfortunately. I think erythritol might be a problem too - not sure.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would like to try this. Most of the time when I heat sugar alcohols to a high candy-like temp, they smoke and smell awful. They taste all right, but I am afraid of what I am doing to them. You went to 290 degrees with no trouble?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Soobee, like I said I don't have a candy thermometer so I don't think I got it quite to 290 degrees. It wasn't hard like a lollipop, more like a hard taffy. So you would have to experiment, I don't know if at that temp it would start smoking or not. Sounds like in your past tries it didn't work out too well though. What sugar alcohols have used for this application?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have mostly worked with erythritol, but I have also tried xylitol. When the mixrure starts smoking and smelling, I think I am changing the chemical make-up somehow. So I have backed off with my experiments. I know most sugar alcohols have a lower boiling point than water, which would mean lower temps for hard ball and hard crack stages. I just never had a great outcome.