Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
Looking for a killer pie crust

Okay my cheesecake was delish, but my crust did not stay firm. It was your basic low carb almond crust. It crumbles before I can get the slice off the pie plate. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Did you prebake the crust? Mine always stays together!

I use almond flour, an eggwhite, and a little sweetener if I want it, then bake at 350* for about 8 to 10 minutes until it is BARELY starting to get a golden color. Cool, then fill and proceed with your recipe!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Depending on how many carbs, I have a whole wheat crust I have tried and it's very good. I also have another crust that's lower carb but have not tried it yet.

Whole Wheat Pie Crust

1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons very cold butter
Method

Mix flour with salt in a medium bowl or food processor. Add cold butter and cut in using a pastry blender, or pulse in food processor. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, until dough forms into a ball. Gather up and pat into a disc. If possible, cover and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes before rolling out. When ready to use, roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 10-inch circle. Gently fold into quarters using a little flour as needed to prevent sticking. Place dough in pie plate and carefully unfold, fitting loosely and then pressing into place. Trim the edges and crimp for a decorative crust.

Nutrition

Per serving (1/8 of crust/31g-wt.): 140 calories (90 from fat), 10g total fat, 26g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 11g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 0g sugar), 2g protein

Low Carbohydrate Recipe

Ingredients:
3/4 cup plain whey protein powder or soy flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup finely ground almonds (almond flour)
1/2 cup non-transfat shortening or lard
1-2 tablespoons very cold water
Nonstick cooking spray

Yield: 1 crust
Entire crust has 30 grams carbohydrate made with whey powder or 37 grams made with soy flour.

Directions:
Mix together whey protein powder (or soy flour), oat flour, and almond flour. Cut shortening or lard into flour mixture with two knives or a pastry blender, using a cutting motion. It will resemble peas when done.

Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough can hold together. Refrigerate until chilled for easier handling.

This dough can be rolled out by putting between two pieces of waxed paper, or you can put the dough in a 9-inch pie plate and pat it up the sides to the rim.

Spray nonstick spray on a pie plate (glass such as Pyrex works best) before putting crust in. Oil your hands to make it easier to manage dough if you are using the patting method. If you take the pie crust over the rim, be sure to put aluminum foil or pastry rim-guards around edges to prevent it browing too much before pie filling is done. Pour filling into crust and bake per directions.

If you need a completely baked crust (for cream fillings or no-bake cheesecake etc.), pierce crust with a fork and bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Watch it closely to prevent burning!

ETA: I just bought some graham cracker protein powder that I plan on trying in the lower carb recipe for a cheesecake crust.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 04-09-2010 at 02:41 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
The only l.c. crust I've used since I found Kevin's.

Crust
1/3 c. + 1 T. shortening (I used crisco green with no trans fats)
3/4 c. Carbalose flour
1/4 c. Resistant Wheat Starch
2 T. + 1 t. cold water
Cut shortening into flour until the particles are like small peas.
Sprinkle in water, 1 T. at a time tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry is clinging to the side of the bowl.

Roll out between 2 lightly dusted(WPI 5000) sheets of wax paper.
Set dough into 9 inch pie plate.

I don't have much luck rolling, just put it all in the pie pan and press it to cover the pan. Everyone likes it, no one has even asked it it's Low carb.......... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: souzac
Stats: 183/176/145
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: March 23, 2011
I made a cheesecake the other day in a springform pan and the almond crust held together perfectly. I used ground almonds, melted butter and davinci sugar free carmel and pressed firmly into pan and then baked at 375 for 10 min.
souzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
When I compare cheesecake with and without crust for taste and enjoyment, and then for calories and carbs, I say forget the crust!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I'll give the almond crust another try. Considering adding the protein powder to it.

If I could get a good crust, I'd be tempted to try a low carb pecan pie!!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Here's one I like, Jeri.

Graham Cracker-like Crust:
2/3 cup Low-Carb Bake Mix
2/3 cup ground almonds
1/3 cup butter, mleted
2 or more Splenda packets

In medium bowl, combine Low-Carb Bake Mix, ground almonds, butter and Splenda. Press into 9-inch springform pan or pie plate. Bake in 350 deg. F. oven 10 minutes.

SPLENDID LOW-CARB BAKE MIX™
This tasty bake mix guarantees a low-carb result in your baking. Regular sugar and white flour recipes will have carbs reduced by about 75% to 85% or more, if Low-Carb Bake Mix is substituted for white flour and SPLENDA® Granular is used to substitute for sugar and high-carb dairy is changed to low-carb, etc.

1 2/3 cups ground almonds (400 mL)
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein* (150 mL)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten (150 mL)

In large bowl, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein and vital wheat gluten. Use a large wooden spoon to stir and mix well. Store in a closed container at room temperature. Shake container to ensure ingredients are combined well.

Yield:
1/3 cup (75 mL) per serving
162.9 calories
14.3 g protein
10.3 g fat
3.3 g carbs

To use this bake mix: For every cup of flour in your recipe, replace with l cup (250 mL) of Low-Carb Bake Mix, PLUS 2 tbsp (25 mL). The aforementioned rules apply also to replacing any of the Ultimate Bake Mixes from my previous cookbooks (which are a cup-for-cup substitution for all-purpose flour) as well as Vital Ultimate Bake Mixes with this bake mix.

Once again, always add liquid cautiously to your own recipes that you wish to de-carb. Sometimes as much as 1/2 cup (125 mL) less wet ingredients (this includes ingredients such as butter, olive oil, applesauce, pumpkin, water, yogurt, sour cream, cream, etc.) will be required. Typically, most of the time, it is 1/4 cup (50 mL) wet ingredients that will need to be omitted from your regular recipe.

Helpful Hints: *If the application for this bake mix is for savory baking, it is possible to replace vanilla whey protein powder with natural whey protein powder, if desired.

Ground hazelnuts or walnuts may be used instead. This bake mix is useful for piecrusts, muffins, loaves, many cakes, cookies and squares, some cooking applications, and it guarantees lower carbs as well.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I will definitely try your recipe Jennifer!
Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Here's one I like, Jeri.

Graham Cracker-like Crust:
2/3 cup Low-Carb Bake Mix
2/3 cup ground almonds
1/3 cup butter, mleted
2 or more Splenda packets

In medium bowl, combine Low-Carb Bake Mix, ground almonds, butter and Splenda. Press into 9-inch springform pan or pie plate. Bake in 350 deg. F. oven 10 minutes.

SPLENDID LOW-CARB BAKE MIX™
This tasty bake mix guarantees a low-carb result in your baking. Regular sugar and white flour recipes will have carbs reduced by about 75% to 85% or more, if Low-Carb Bake Mix is substituted for white flour and SPLENDA® Granular is used to substitute for sugar and high-carb dairy is changed to low-carb, etc.

1 2/3 cups ground almonds (400 mL)
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein* (150 mL)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten (150 mL)

In large bowl, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein and vital wheat gluten. Use a large wooden spoon to stir and mix well. Store in a closed container at room temperature. Shake container to ensure ingredients are combined well.

Yield:
1/3 cup (75 mL) per serving
162.9 calories
14.3 g protein
10.3 g fat
3.3 g carbs

To use this bake mix: For every cup of flour in your recipe, replace with l cup (250 mL) of Low-Carb Bake Mix, PLUS 2 tbsp (25 mL). The aforementioned rules apply also to replacing any of the Ultimate Bake Mixes from my previous cookbooks (which are a cup-for-cup substitution for all-purpose flour) as well as Vital Ultimate Bake Mixes with this bake mix.

Once again, always add liquid cautiously to your own recipes that you wish to de-carb. Sometimes as much as 1/2 cup (125 mL) less wet ingredients (this includes ingredients such as butter, olive oil, applesauce, pumpkin, water, yogurt, sour cream, cream, etc.) will be required. Typically, most of the time, it is 1/4 cup (50 mL) wet ingredients that will need to be omitted from your regular recipe.

Helpful Hints: *If the application for this bake mix is for savory baking, it is possible to replace vanilla whey protein powder with natural whey protein powder, if desired.

Ground hazelnuts or walnuts may be used instead. This bake mix is useful for piecrusts, muffins, loaves, many cakes, cookies and squares, some cooking applications, and it guarantees lower carbs as well.
This is my mix for crust all the time now..Savory or Sweet!

U all try this!! Here LC mix is also very Cheap to make also!

Thanks Jen!
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
LOL You made me laugh this morning, Christina! Thanks for your enthusiasm. Hope it is catchy!

I like this crust made with almond flour throughout more than ground almonds - I must admit I sometimes said ground almonds, when I meant almond flour - but things work out more or less the same. I just think almond flour is superior in most things. Pity I can't get it here.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
I sometimes use the (3) ingredents Peanut Butter Cookie for a Pie Crust, talk about Yummy!
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
My almond nut crust stays together very nicely because I add an egg white to the mix.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
The only l.c. crust I've used since I found Kevin's.

Crust
3/4 c. Carbalose flour
1/4 c. Resistant Wheat Starch
2 T. + 1 t. cold water
Cut shortening into flour until the particles are like small peas.
Sprinkle in water, 1 T. at a time tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry is clinging to the side of the bowl.

Roll out between 2 lightly dusted(WPI 5000) sheets of wax paper.

I don't have much luck rolling, just put it all in the pie pan and press it to cover the pan. Everyone likes it, no one has even asked it it's Low carb.......... Ann
I make this with my flour mix now Ann.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Does it roll out easier Kevin? And the recipe please............Ann
Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Ann - Not Kevin, but I use this recipe all the time. I don't think it's hard to roll out, but YMMV

Crust
1 C. Kevin's flour mix
2 T. + 1 t. cold water
(you can add a little salt if you'd like. I don't)

Cut shortening into flour (I use Crisco) until the particles are like small peas.

Roll out between 2 lightly dusted(WPI 5000) (I just use a little of the flour mix) sheets of wax paper.

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much" ~ Mother Teresa
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Thank you very much Judy, I've got it...............Ann
Old 04-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #18
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
If you're looking for a cheesecake crust, here's one I've found works for various cheesecake applications:

Cleochatra's Nut Crust

1/3 cup macadamia nuts
1/3 cup cashews
1/3 cup almonds
2 Tbsp erythritol (can sub other sweetener)
¼ cup butter, melted.

Making the crust:
Process nuts together until resembling coarse crushed graham crackers. Mix processed nuts, butter and erythritol. Press in bottom of a 9” springform pan. Place in fridge to solidify. Add cheesecake filling and bake or refrigerate according to instructions.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetdreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
If you're looking for a cheesecake crust, here's one I've found works for various cheesecake applications:

Cleochatra's Nut Crust

1/3 cup macadamia nuts
1/3 cup cashews
1/3 cup almonds
¼ cup butter, melted.

Making the crust:
Process nuts together until resembling coarse crushed graham crackers. Mix processed nuts, butter and erythritol. Press in bottom of a 9” springform pan. Place in fridge to solidify. Add cheesecake filling and bake or refrigerate according to instructions.

This is an excellent crust... the best nut crust I've ever made... in fact I've thought of making cookies with it.

Last edited by sweetdreams; 04-18-2010 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
sweetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #20
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I've thought about rolling around in it naked, but it's a bit socially awkward. I suppose.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #21
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I've thought about rolling around in it naked, but it's a bit socially awkward. I suppose.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, Cleo!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
Does it roll out easier Kevin? And the recipe please............Ann
Ann the recipe is as Judy posted it but to be honest the only crust i roll out any more is a top crust. I like to put the dough in the pie dish and press it out with my fingers for the bottom crust.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

O.K. Kevin, you talked me out of rolling. Left over habit from the old days I guess, seems to take less time to roll out, then to pat it and get it evenly into the pie dish. I really appreciate your input. Thanks.............. Ann
Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #24
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
In a separate thread, Dottie posted a great piecrust recipe using flax meal. I think the thread is titled cheesecake w/piecrust. It is by Dottie the Administrator here. Since I'm keeping away from all flours, I definitely will try her recipe. It is made with golden flax meal, which has a nice nutty taste.

Thanks Dottie!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #25
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
I cut and pasted Dottie's flax crust. Here it is. Simple. Just my kind of recipe! Hope this helps.

Interesting flax crust
I made mini cheesecakes with this, not sure it would bake right as a regular crust though.

This made 6 muffin size cheesecakes
1/4 cup golden flax meal
2pks splenda
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3T melted butter

Mix the dry ingredients and stir the vanilla into the butter, then mix all together.
Press into the bottom of 6 muffin papers (I used a sprayed silicone pan) and top with cheesecake filling, bake 20 minutes at 350.
Let cool before removing so the butter and flax hardens up some for easy removal.

I was thinking of baking the crust for 5-10 minutes first but this worked ok.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:39 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
Here's a link to my favorite crust. It is adapted from the Carbquik cream cheese danish recipe posted by Nancy a few years ago. I use it for chicken broccoli braid, but it is also wonderful for pies like chocolate cream, and quiches.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...raid-pics.html
Cap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams View Post
Cleochatra's Nut Crust

1/3 cup macadamia nuts
1/3 cup cashews
1/3 cup almonds
¼ cup butter, melted.

Making the crust:

This is an excellent crust... the best nut crust I've ever made... in fact I've thought of making cookies with it.
After much hand wringing, I decided to try this crust for my cheesecake. The only thing I did different was pre-bake it until slightly brown. OMG - this was WAY better than a traditional graham crust. Best cheesecake & crust I've ever had. (I used the recipe for the cheesecake factory clone cheesecake in the recipe room - exactly as written, subbing only the crust).

Last edited by CarenL; 03-23-2013 at 09:27 AM..
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote