Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #1

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Coping with the demise of Not/Starch

OK, so Expert Foods apparently has told Netrition they will no longer be making Not/Starch as well as the earlier announced demise of Not/Sugar.

We know that Not/Starch is just xanthan, guar, and acacia gums, but clearly they do something in the production process to make the stuff dissolve better in liquids without lumping up. Unless it's the acacia itself, which I have never seen for sale by itself, it must be the manufacturing and not a special ingredient.

So what can we do to make the xanthan or guar work better going forward? (I also use glucomannan powder, which is similar and has fewer lumping issues, but still not as good as Not/Starch.)

I know people swear by keeping the gum in a salt shaker and stirring it in as you shake, but it still lumps for me. I have to use a blender to assure a good smoothness with either guar or xanthan, and that's a lot of fuss.

Any better ideas out there?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
I just went on the Expert Foods website, because I remembered that they previously discontinued the large size not sugar, but still offered the smaller size on their site [much less econonical]...I brought up not starch and added it to my EF "cart," and got no notice that it is not in stock...the largest size they list is "84 servings," it does not give the weight, and I don't know what 84 servings means...

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 04-08-2010 at 11:40 AM..
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
I just went on the Expert Foods website, because I remembered that they previously discontinued the large size not sugar, but still offered the smaller size on their site [much less econonical]...I brought up not starch and added it to my EF "cart," and got no notice that it is not in stock...the largest size they list is "84 servings," it does not give the weight, and I don't know what 84 servings means...
Yes, I know they still have them there. The 84 servings is the size Netrition sold for $14.99. With shipping, from EF, it's nearly $30. I thought the $14.99 was sky high!

Given the cost of guar and xanthan, now is the time to learn to use them instead!

Last edited by ravenrose; 04-08-2010 at 11:55 AM..
Old 04-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Check this out and see what ya think:
Dixie Diner Carb Counters Thick It Up Low Carb Thickener

The bag is 6oz rather than the 8 that Netrition carried of the ThickenThin Not/Starch. But it also says a serving is 1/2 tsp rather than 1 tsp (per cup of liquid). It says 100 servings per container, rather than the 85 for the Not/starch.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 04-08-2010 at 12:52 PM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Ok..now there are 2 thread for this...

Hate they are going to stop making Thick/Thin...
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
Yes, I know they still have them there. The 84 servings is the size Netrition sold for $14.99. With shipping, from EF, it's nearly $30. I thought the $14.99 was sky high!

Given the cost of guar and xanthan, now is the time to learn to use them instead!
That is the reason I am not going to buy from them!!

I might try Jennifer's mix for Thick/thin if any of you have her books...
Old 04-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
OK, so Expert Foods apparently has told Netrition they will no longer be making Not/Starch as well as the earlier announced demise of Not/Sugar.

We know that Not/Starch is just xanthan, guar, and acacia gums, but clearly they do something in the production process to make the stuff dissolve better in liquids without lumping up. Unless it's the acacia itself, which I have never seen for sale by itself, it must be the manufacturing and not a special ingredient.

So what can we do to make the xanthan or guar work better going forward? (I also use glucomannan powder, which is similar and has fewer lumping issues, but still not as good as Not/Starch.)

I know people swear by keeping the gum in a salt shaker and stirring it in as you shake, but it still lumps for me. I have to use a blender to assure a good smoothness with either guar or xanthan, and that's a lot of fuss.

Just a thought ;-)

You might try mixing your gums with an amount of FoodScience of Vermont’s Clearly Fiber to keep it from clumping in your shaker. I use this product in my Splenda and Neotame alternatives to Splenda Quick Packs and it has proved an excellent medium for this purpose. Plus, it has no taste and dissolves hot or cold, providing dietary fiber…what do you think?

Description:

Clearly Fiber™ a fiber supplement to support intestinal regularity, and maintenance of cholesterol, triglyceride, and blood sugar levels within normal ranges.
Clearly Fiber™ is a sugar-free, low calorie, all natural fiber product from digestion-resistant Maltodextrin.

Clearly Fiber™is different from other fiber products: no grit, no lumps, no flavor. It dissolves clearly in any cold or hot drink. It won't change the texture, taste or color of your favorite soft food or beverage. Add Clearly Fiber™ to water, coffee, soda, yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, pudding, mashed potatoes, juice, and even sauces or soups. The possibilities are endless.

Clearly Fiber™ is an excellent source of fiber as well as a natural way to support proper bowel function, cholesterol levels, and healthy intestinal microflora.*

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 2 Teaspoons
Servings per Container: 30

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 22 *
Total Carbohydrate 5 g* 2%
Total Dietary Fiber 5 g* 20%
Soluble Fiber 5 g **
Digestion Resistant Matodextrin (Fibersol-2 brand) 5.85 g**

*Daily value not established.

Free Of Citrus, egg, gluten, milk, sodium, soy, wheat, yeast, added sugars, starches, synthetic dyes, artificial flavorings and preservatives.

Directions As a dietary supplement, mix 2 teaspoons (5.85 g) in any hot or cold liquid or food, 1-3 times daily.

I note that Thick-It thickener does contain maltodextrin...

"Thick-It Instant Food Thickener contains modified corn starch and maltodextrin. Modified is the method used to process cornstarch so that it easily dissolves in a cold or hot liquid without having to boil the liquid first. Maltodextrin is an easily digestible carbohydrate derived from corn. It is used in a variety of dry foods, dairy products, meats and beverages."

locarbman

Last edited by locarbman; 04-08-2010 at 02:02 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
Just a thought ;-)

You might try mixing your gums with an amount of FoodScience of Vermont’s Clearly Fiber to keep it from clumping in your shaker. I use this product in my Splenda and Neotame alternatives to Splenda Quick Packs and it has proved an excellent medium for this purpose. Plus, it has no taste and dissolves hot or cold, providing dietary fiber…what do you think?

Description

Clearly Fiber™ a fiber supplement to support intestinal regularity, and maintenance of cholesterol, triglyceride, and blood sugar levels within normal ranges.
Clearly Fiber™ is a sugar-free, low calorie, all natural fiber product from digeation-resistant Maltodextrin.

Clearly Fiber™is different from other fiber products: no grit, no lumps, no flavor. It dissolves clearly in any cold or hot drink. It won't change the texture, taste or color of your favorite soft food or beverage. Add Clearly Fiber™ to water, coffee, soda, yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, pudding, mashed potatoes, juice, and even sauces or soups. The possibilities are endless.

Clearly Fiber™ is an excellent source of fiber as well as a natural way to support proper bowel function, cholesterol levels, and healthy intestinal microflora.*

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 2 Teaspoons
Servings per Container: 30

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 22 *
Total Carbohydrate 5 g* 2%
Total Dietary Fiber 5 g* 20%
Soluble Fiber 5 g **
Digestion Resistant Matodextrin (Fibersol-2 brand) 5.85 g**

*Daily value not established.

Free Of Citrus, egg, gluten, milk, sodium, soy, wheat, yeast, added sugars, starches, synthetic dyes, artificial flavorings and preservatives.

Directions As a dietary supplement, mix 2 teaspoons (5.85 g) in any hot or cold liquid or food, 1-3 times daily.

I note that Thick-It thickener does contain maltodextrin...

"Thick-It Instant Food Thickener contains modified corn starch and maltodextrin. Modified is the method used to process cornstarch so that it easily dissolves in a cold or hot liquid without having to boil the liquid first. Maltodextrin is an easily digestible carbohydrate derived from corn. It is used in a variety of dry foods, dairy products, meats and beverages."

locarbman

It might just work... Want to try it for us???

TY for the info on Thick=it..

I wont be buying it...
Old 04-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Marking my spot.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Locarbman, who makes the Thick-It that you mention? I have't seen it.

ThickenThin did/does not contain maltodextrin or corn starch, nor does the Dixie Diner Thick-It-Up. At least not according to their nutritional info under ingredients.

You say you make a Splenda Quick Pack alternative with this. Do you have a "recipe" you would share for this? Also maybe making similar using pure stevia "Ouick Pack"?

I had seen the Clearly Fiber in the store but was reluctant to buy/try/use it because of the maltrodextrin. Didn't notice it said digestion resistant.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Has anyone tried Konjac Glucomannan Powder? I'm reading about it now but know very little about it.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
I've never use the not starch product - I started out with xanthan.

I avoid the lumping by making a roux with it - I mix it with some oil, then whisk it into the hot liquid. It only takes a little bit of oil to make this work, you just want a little more oil than xanthan so that the xanthan powder is thoroughly coated and pourable.

It may look like it's going to be really lumpy when you first pour it into your liquid, but as you whisk and cook it, it distributes evenly.

You could probably also do this with melted butter instead, but butter often still has some moisture in it, which could cause the xanthan to lump up and then not distribute evenly through the liquid. So you'd have to make sure there was no moisture in it before mixing in the xanthan.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post

The bag is 6oz rather than the 8 that Netrition carried of the ThickenThin Not/Starch. But it also says a serving is 1/2 tsp rather than 1 tsp (per cup of liquid). It says 100 servings per container, rather than the 85 for the Not/starch.

Any thoughts?
This product seems to have almost the same ingredients as not/starch except that it has "Locust bean (and/or tara)" in place of the carob - but the other gums are the same. I would think we could use it just the same. The Expert Foods price didn't seem too bad until I checked the shipping which brought it up to more than $30. I mostly use it to make Kevin's flour and still have some left. For other uses, I can use xantham or guar for thickening purposes.

I would love to hear from Kevin about this. I've been worried about his health but if he is checking the website maybe he can give us his input.
_____
Judy
judytab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Locarbman, who makes the Thick-It that you mention? I have't seen it.

ThickenThin did/does not contain maltodextrin or corn starch, nor does the Dixie Diner Thick-It-Up. At least not according to their nutritional info under ingredients.

You say you make a Splenda Quick Pack alternative with this. Do you have a "recipe" you would share for this? Also maybe making similar using pure stevia "Ouick Pack"?

I had seen the Clearly Fiber in the store but was reluctant to buy/try/use it because of the maltrodextrin. Didn't notice it said digestion resistant.
Hi Billie,

"Locarbman, who makes the Thick-It that you mention? I have't seen it."

My mother found it helpful, however, it is not low carb... ;-)

"You say you make a Splenda Quick Pack alternative with this. Do you have a "recipe" you would share for this? Also maybe making similar using pure stevia "Ouick Pack"?"

Here you go... ;-)

"Make your own Splenda 'Quick Pack' Equivalents! ;-)

If you would enjoy making your own Splenda "Quick Pack" equivalents, you may find post #98, page 4 helpful...

Make your own liquid Splenda!

Here is an exerpt...with some additions... ;-)

"Formula #2 - 1 teaspoon Sucralose Powder + 12.5 Tablespoons of FoodScience of Vermont's "Clearly Fiber" (Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin) Powder = 12.5 Tablespoons "LCF Splenda Packet Dry Mix ;-)” where 1/16th teaspoon = 1 teaspoon sugar equivalence, 1/8th teaspoon = 2 teaspoons sugar equivalence (= 1 Splenda Packet) and 1 tablespoon = 48 teaspoons sugar equivalence (= 1 Splenda Quick Pack Packet ;-)"

Locarbman's Neotame/Fiber Quick Pack Blend:

I used 1/64 teaspoon Neotame Powder (=125 teaspoons sugar equivalence) with 4 teaspoons FoodScience of Vermonts Clearly Fiber (125t / 16(1/16tht/t) / 2) to equal 2 teaspoons sugar equivalence per 1/16th teaspoon of blend, stirred together in a 1 cup measuring cup for about 1 minute and tried 1/16th teaspoon blend in a cup of coffee. I am amazed, it was perfect! My 94yo Aunt also confirmed it was sweet… ;-) I placed 1 tablespoon of water in the measuring cup (the inside was covered with a light powdery residue), inserted a finger to get all of the powder into solution and then took a sip. It was, as I had suspected, very sweet indicating that an amount of the Neotame Powder adhered to the inside of the cup. But, this blend appears to work… ;-)"

As for using Stevia, I have not yet tried making a Splenda Quick Pack version, however, would probably try 3 teaspoons Stevia White Extract Powder (12.5 cups sugar equivalence) with 12.5 Tablespoons of Clearly Fiber for a blend where 1/16th teaspoon = 1 teaspoon sugar equivalence, 1/8th teaspoon = 2 teaspoons sugar equivalence (= 1 Splenda Packet) and 1 tablespoon = 48 teaspoons sugar equivalence (= 1 Splenda Quick Pack Packet...should work well.

Hope this helps... ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
This product seems to have almost the same ingredients as not/starch except that it has "Locust bean (and/or tara)" in place of the carob - but the other gums are the same. I would think we could use it just the same. The Expert Foods price didn't seem too bad until I checked the shipping which brought it up to more than $30. I mostly use it to make Kevin's flour and still have some left. For other uses, I can use xantham or guar for thickening purposes.

I would love to hear from Kevin about this. I've been worried about his health but if he is checking the website maybe he can give us his input.
_____
Judy
Actually, carob is Locust Bean - although one or the other might possibly be more refined or gummier.
Madam De Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam De Leon View Post
Actually, carob is Locust Bean - although one or the other might possibly be more refined or gummier.
Thanks for the info - I didn't know that! So I guess it really is like not/starch.
_____
Judy
Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Locarbman.... Not what I was think of. I can't wrap my head around those conversions. I was thinking of like The Quick Pack are 1 tsp = 1 cup sweetness, so 1/8 tsp = 1/8 cup, 1/4 tsp = 1/4 cup, etc. But I really do appreciate your giving it to me/us.

And thank you for the link/info on the Thick-it (not to be confused with the Dixie Diner Thick-It-Up).

What I have never been able to figure out is how much the sucralose pwd is equivelant to. Hmmmm maybe that is what you were saying, and didn't/couldn't follow you. So is 1/16 tsp sucralose = to 1tsp sugar? Surely it is more potent than that. Sorry I just couldn't follow what you meant. Not good with numbers.
But again I do appreciate your posting all your "recipes" & experiments!!!!
I've tried to follow your liquid splenda posts, but I get lost in all the numbers. Not good at them or at math at all.

And Thanks Madam De Leon for the info on the Locust bean & carob.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Has anyone tried Konjac Glucomannan Powder? I'm reading about it now but know very little about it.
I got the NOW Gluommanan in capsules from Netrition at Christmas. I just twist them open to use it. It's a bit troublesome if your hands are wet or anything, but it's convenient to have it measured out like that.

I think I like it better than Guar or Xanthan.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam De Leon View Post
I've never use the not starch product - I started out with xanthan.

I avoid the lumping by making a roux with it - I mix it with some oil, then whisk it into the hot liquid. It only takes a little bit of oil to make this work, you just want a little more oil than xanthan so that the xanthan powder is thoroughly coated and pourable.
What a great (and in retrospect, obvious) idea. Everyone went on so about it being used LIKE CORNSTARCH that I never tried this!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #20

Quote:
This looks good, but I'd still rather master using guar and xanthan, since I have heaps of both of them!

Guar makes a great hot cereal, all fiber, but I whirl it with water in the blender and dump it into a bowl and into the microwave as fast as I can to keep it in solution.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:46 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: victorianandmore
I like the ThickenThin Not Starch and I am thinking about stocking up on it rather than trying to mix something up on my own. Does anyone know how long it will keep and how I should store it?
victorianandmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
My Thickening Agent

THICKENING AGENT
This is useful to use instead of pure cornstarch or flour in thickening sauces. Things come out about the same as using ThickenThin/Not Starch, although this thickening agent possibly requires a little less to do the same job.

8 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (42 mL)
4 1/2 tsp guar gum (22 mL)
2 1/4 tsp Arrowroot starch*, OR (11 mL)
corn starch*

In small plastic container with lid, combine xanthan gum, guar gum and arrowroot starch or corn starch; seal. Store at room temperature.

Helpful Hints: Substitute Thickening Agent for cornstarch, using 1/4 as much and substitute Thickening Agent for flour, using 1/8 as much to achieve approximately the same results.

This Thickening Agent must be used in small quantities to avoid a “gummy” texture. For instance, do not use in quantities greater than 1/2 tsp (2 mL) for thickening sauces for stir-fried vegetables.

You may use only guar gum or only xanthan gum, if one or the other is not available. Xanthan gum is preferable to guar gum.

*Arrowroot starch and cornstarch each have about 7 grams of carbohydrate per tablespoon (15 mL). I’ve recently discovered arrowroot powder and it seems to work really well in my Thickening Agent. Used alone, it requires 1/3 the amount of flour required to thicken sauces, etc. Sprinkle 1 tsp (5 mL) Thickening Agent over 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) boiling or hot liquid and whisk vigorously with wire whisk until liquid thickens (this method is hit and miss - some lumps may form). The Thickening Agent seems to dissolve really well, when there is some fat in the liquid, such as butter or olive oil or the fat in a stew gravy, for instance. If Thickening Agent has not completely dissolved, it may be necessary (if possible) to pour the liquid through a sieve or blend in a blender.

Vegetable gums have the unfortunate characteristic of reducing sweetness in recipes somewhat, therefore, sometimes less Thickening Agent or more sweetener will be required.

NOTE: I have discovered in hindsight that if one blends a little of the soup or sauce with the thickening agent in a blender and then you add it back to the liquid, no lumps form. Sometimes, if I need just a titch of thickener, I simply use Xanthan gum (prefer it over guar gum, although it is quite a bit more expensive) in the blender with some liquid. Another method would be to put the Xanthan gum or thickening agent in a container with a lid that allows one to sprinkle a fine powder over the hot liquid. This method also reduces the likelihood of lumps forming.

Ravenrose, I am also amazed by Madam de Leon's method with oil. Clever! I posted this recipe for you mainly because of your most recent comment of how you would like to learn to combine Xanthan gum and guar gum to come up with a decent thickener.

Hope this helps someone else too. I suspect, Christina, that this Thickening Agent will work very well in Kevin's bake mix recipe, if it is replacing ThickenThin/Not Starch. You can double or triple this recipe and keep it in a sealed container at room temp forever and a day practically.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #23
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Quote:
Expert Foods may be selling off their limited quantities of Not/Starch. Here is a direct quote from Expert Foods:

"We are currently unable to supply ThickenThin not/Starch thickener due to manufacturing problems. Unfortunately, we cannot tell you when or even if we will have it available in the future. What is going on with Expert Foods is that manufacturing in the United States has become very challenging, especially where high quality is required. To compound the problem, the key quality control people have been dealing with health issues, which precludes going overseas. I cannot predict at this time when or whether we will be able to resolve these problems and resume manufacturing."
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
THICKENING AGENT
This is useful to use instead of pure cornstarch or flour in thickening sauces. Things come out about the same as using ThickenThin/Not Starch, although this thickening agent possibly requires a little less to do the same job.

8 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (42 mL)
4 1/2 tsp guar gum (22 mL)
2 1/4 tsp Arrowroot starch*, OR (11 mL)
corn starch*

In small plastic container with lid, combine xanthan gum, guar gum and arrowroot starch or corn starch; seal. Store at room temperature.

Helpful Hints: Substitute Thickening Agent for cornstarch, using 1/4 as much and substitute Thickening Agent for flour, using 1/8 as much to achieve approximately the same results.

This Thickening Agent must be used in small quantities to avoid a “gummy” texture. For instance, do not use in quantities greater than 1/2 tsp (2 mL) for thickening sauces for stir-fried vegetables.

You may use only guar gum or only xanthan gum, if one or the other is not available. Xanthan gum is preferable to guar gum.

*Arrowroot starch and cornstarch each have about 7 grams of carbohydrate per tablespoon (15 mL). I’ve recently discovered arrowroot powder and it seems to work really well in my Thickening Agent. Used alone, it requires 1/3 the amount of flour required to thicken sauces, etc. Sprinkle 1 tsp (5 mL) Thickening Agent over 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) boiling or hot liquid and whisk vigorously with wire whisk until liquid thickens (this method is hit and miss - some lumps may form). The Thickening Agent seems to dissolve really well, when there is some fat in the liquid, such as butter or olive oil or the fat in a stew gravy, for instance. If Thickening Agent has not completely dissolved, it may be necessary (if possible) to pour the liquid through a sieve or blend in a blender.

Vegetable gums have the unfortunate characteristic of reducing sweetness in recipes somewhat, therefore, sometimes less Thickening Agent or more sweetener will be required.

NOTE: I have discovered in hindsight that if one blends a little of the soup or sauce with the thickening agent in a blender and then you add it back to the liquid, no lumps form. Sometimes, if I need just a titch of thickener, I simply use Xanthan gum (prefer it over guar gum, although it is quite a bit more expensive) in the blender with some liquid. Another method would be to put the Xanthan gum or thickening agent in a container with a lid that allows one to sprinkle a fine powder over the hot liquid. This method also reduces the likelihood of lumps forming.

Ravenrose, I am also amazed by Madam de Leon's method with oil. Clever! I posted this recipe for you mainly because of your most recent comment of how you would like to learn to combine Xanthan gum and guar gum to come up with a decent thickener.

Hope this helps someone else too. I suspect, Christina, that this Thickening Agent will work very well in Kevin's bake mix recipe, if it is replacing ThickenThin/Not Starch. You can double or triple this recipe and keep it in a sealed container at room temp forever and a day practically.

TY Jen

I wanted to put that on here but I didn't want to put in on without your permission...

I have just not felt like e-mailing you about this...

I might make up just a very small batch of his bake mix and test with it after I get to feeling better..

2 sinus infection in 3 weeks is about ready to wear me down...

Thanks Jen!
HUGS!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Expert Foods may be selling off their limited quantities of Not/Starch. Here is a direct quote from Expert Foods:

"We are currently unable to supply ThickenThin not/Starch thickener due to manufacturing problems. Unfortunately, we cannot tell you when or even if we will have it available in the future. What is going on with Expert Foods is that manufacturing in the United States has become very challenging, especially where high quality is required. To compound the problem, the key quality control people have been dealing with health issues, which precludes going overseas. I cannot predict at this time when or whether we will be able to resolve these problems and resume manufacturing."
Thanks, Kathy. That is particularly unfortunate timing, since the product is mentioned in the New Atkins for a New You.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dartstar1
Stats: 273/256/160 starting again 1-26-12 @259 4-1-12 242
WOE: ATKINS 72 <8
Start Date: 10/12/2009
Quote:

try google
Gum Arabic - Acacia Senegal
dartstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #27
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Netrition carries Organic Acacia Gum Powder.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

There's another thread on this subject with info about another product that is exactly the same as not/starch. It's Flax-Z-Snax / Naturally Supreme Quick & Thick Food Thickener and Texturizer. I just ordered a supply of it. Here is the thread:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...rch-kevin.html
Check post 23 and there's a link to it on post 27.
_____
Judy
Old 04-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Judy, you can use my thickening agent in Kevin's bake mix. I'm pretty sure of that.

Here is a post I did sometime ago:

Many first time low-carbers are puzzled as to what to use to thicken sauces, stews, soups, protein shakes, etc. People have been known to ask with forlorn hope whether almond flour might do the trick.

Here are a few ideas:

1) Vegetable gums - Xanthan gum (my preference) and guar gum
These need to be used cautiously, as in excess they can make things real gummy (slimy) tasting. Using a small amount of liquid (from the stew or whatever), blend with a small amount of xanthan gum - usually no more than 1/2 tsp to begin with. Then add to the stew and stir on high heat until thickened; repeat if necessary. Vegetable gums will thicken cold or hot liquids. Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

2) My Thickening Agent recipe - this is a combo of xanthan gum, guar gum and cornstarch: 1 tsp = 0.4 g carbs It works as well, if not better than the leading commercial Thickening Agent, ThickenThin Not/Starch by Expert Foods. One typically needs less of my Thickening Agent to get the job done. These Thickening Agents (mine) and the commercial variety last a very long time on the shelf and also for the reason that one uses very little at a time. My Thickening Agent can be used with a little liquid in a blender and blended - this is to ensure no lumps. Although, I did not suggest this method in my cookbooks, it is the one I prefer these days. These thickening agents will thicken hot or cold liquids.

3) When making soups with veggies, take some of it and blend in a blender until pureed and add to the soup, or blend all of it for a Creamed soup.

4) If you can stomach the idea - one or two teaspoons of powdered pysillium husks in a shake should help thicken it - great fiber!

5) Some people use glucomannan (konjac) powder. Konjac powder has about ten times the thickening power of cornstarch. Dissolve the konjac powder in a little cold water before adding it to the sauce. Konjac flour thickens nicely when it's heated to boiling temperature. About 1 teaspoon of konjac powder will gel about one cup of liquid. Find it at the Konjac Foods site.

6) To thicken sauces, sometimes all that is needed is a couple of egg yolks. Bring sauce to boil, add a little of the hot sauce to egg yolks in small bowl. Turn heat to low and add egg yolk mixture. Stir vigorously until sauce thickens.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Bump to subscribe.
iheartcookiecrumbs is offline   Reply With Quote