Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: worldlove
Stats: 5' 6" 175 (12/14)/147.4(7/8)/135-139 (5/6)
WOE: Lower Carb Pescatarian/Clean Eating
FINALLY....Shirataki Noodle Taste Good To Me

I've never liked the Shirataki noodles as I found them tasteless and the texture was just too rubbery. Well, yesterday Shirataki noodles and I finally became friends! I made a Shirataki Veggie Stir Fry that was simply delish! The night before I parboiled the noodles then put them in a bowl of soy sauce and beef broth and kept them in the fridge overnight. The next day stirfried my veggies, added the noodles and some srircha sauce...UNBELIEVABLY good! Next time, I plan on adding mushroom, onions and shrimp. This will definitely be in rotation at my home.

1st Goal - 150lbs
2nd Goal - 145lbs
3rd Goal -139lbs
4th Goal - 135lbs
worldlove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I hated them when I tried them a few years ago so I think I'm gonna give this a try! Thanks for posting this.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I stirfry them with mushrooms and onions and grilled sausage and then top them with salsa queso cheese sauce. unbelievably delish.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Yep, I had the same issue - could barely stomach them, and then I pan-fried....I'm addicted!
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the only way I can eat them is following minnas' suggestion to do the pan frying FIRST, then marinating overnight, then adding to the dish when you make it the next day. getting the excess water out of the noodles before marinating them seems to allow them to take up more flavor... just be careful if you pan fry them at any point not to let them get too limp! since they are mostly water, you can pretty much shrivel them up to nothing if you are too diligent about it.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmamba View Post
I've never liked the Shirataki noodles as I found them tasteless and the texture was just too rubbery. Well, yesterday Shirataki noodles and I finally became friends! I made a Shirataki Veggie Stir Fry that was simply delish! The night before I parboiled the noodles then put them in a bowl of soy sauce and beef broth and kept them in the fridge overnight. The next day stirfried my veggies, added the noodles and some srircha sauce...UNBELIEVABLY good! Next time, I plan on adding mushroom, onions and shrimp. This will definitely be in rotation at my home.

Did this recipe get rid of the rubbery texture or how did you do that?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I rarely eat them because I try to avoid soy but I do like them in stir frys. I rinse well (and I mean well!) throw veggies and shrimp in the wok then remove and toss the noodles in with a little sauce and fry until almost crisp then add the veggies and shrimp back and toss everything together with more sauce. I dont find the need to marinate them overnight.

Last edited by pocahontas; 04-07-2010 at 10:48 AM..
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
I rarely eat them because I try to avoid soy
plain shirataki noodles are made of konjac/glucomannan and do not contain soy

the tofu shirataki noodles have soy, somewhat more carbs, and are less creepy textured
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Sigh, I tried this today and it was a FAIL for me. The taste was good but the texture was still too rubbery so what am I doing wrong?
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #10

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
plain shirataki noodles are made of konjac/glucomannan and do not contain soy

the tofu shirataki noodles have soy, somewhat more carbs, and are less creepy textured
I can only find one kind around here and they are all made with soy.

pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: worldlove
Stats: 5' 6" 175 (12/14)/147.4(7/8)/135-139 (5/6)
WOE: Lower Carb Pescatarian/Clean Eating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Did this recipe get rid of the rubbery texture or how did you do that?
I don't recall them being rubbery after I was done cooking them....BUT I may have eaten them so fast I didn't notice. Really, this dish was so good, I may have just looked past the texture. I'll make it again this weekend to know for sure.
worldlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:42 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
tulipsandroses, pan fry the shirataki longer. The longer you pan fry them and dry them out, the smaller they shrink and the less rybbery they get.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: InventorNC
Stats: 178/165
WOE: Pushaways, smart dieting
Start Date: 2009
Just discovered shirataki. I add the noodles to 70 calorie pasta sauce to which I have added mushrooms, garlic, precooked onion. I cut the onion paper thin on my meat slicer then chop them coarsely. Add the rinsed shirataki noodles last but give them a while to soak up flavor.
Miracle Noodles recommends drying the rinsed noodles (partially I think) so they soak up the flavors best. The Japanese dry them in a hot pan/wok. I will try a food dehydrator too just for fun.
I am told that you can coat the dried noodles with water-based mixes or oil, as you prefer.
InventorNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jody-cake
food dehydrating miracle noodles

I too am searching for a way to dry out these noodles. Tell me how you did it and what was the result!
jody-cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #15

Gallery: bookseller10
I have never been able to stand shirataki noodles, plain or tofu. But the last time I was in my favorite Japanese market, I saw a brand I had never seen before, and the noodles were ORANGE. All the writing on the packet, with the exception of the nutritional info (roughly the same as the other brands) was in Japanese, so I have no idea what's in them. They sat in my fridge for a year until last night. The first thing I noticed, when I slit open the package, was NO FISH SMELL. Wow. Already a big plus. I drained them, rinsed them, boiled them in clean water for about three minutes, and then nuked them, between paper towels, for about two minutes. (This dried them out.) I tasted one, right out of the microwave, and I couldn't believe it: It tasted fine. Good, even. And the texture, while not much like good wheat pasta, was rather similar to rice noodles. I had made a beef-and-asparagus stir-fry, which I ate with the noodles. They were amazing. I'm going back to the store this week, and will get all the info I can about the brand.

Re "drying" the noodles in the microwave: They don't get dry like dry pasta. One or two minutes of zapping just makes them noticeably dryer than when they had just come out of the boiling water.

Last edited by bookseller10; 06-08-2010 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: Replying to poster above
bookseller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #16

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
My son and I tried the Pasta Slim last night. No fishy smell but all of the nastiness of the Tofu Shirataki. Shirataki are still pretty yaki for us and that's saying something cause my 16 yr. old would eat pocket lint if he got hungry enough.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
I'm pretty burned out on shirataki.

The last time I had some I thought that my chicken dish would have tasted just as good over a bed of green beans, plus I'd get the good nutrition of veggies. I used to use spaghetti squash, zucchini strips, etc. I'm going back to my veggies.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookseller10 View Post
I have never been able to stand shirataki noodles, plain or tofu. But the last time I was in my favorite Japanese market, I saw a brand I had never seen before, and the noodles were ORANGE. All the writing on the packet, with the exception of the nutritional info (roughly the same as the other brands) was in Japanese, so I have no idea what's in them. They sat in my fridge for a year until last night. The first thing I noticed, when I slit open the package, was NO FISH SMELL. Wow. Already a big plus. I drained them, rinsed them, boiled them in clean water for about three minutes, and then nuked them, between paper towels, for about two minutes. (This dried them out.) I tasted one, right out of the microwave, and I couldn't believe it: It tasted fine. Good, even. And the texture, while not much like good wheat pasta, was rather similar to rice noodles. I had made a beef-and-asparagus stir-fry, which I ate with the noodles. They were amazing. I'm going back to the store this week, and will get all the info I can about the brand.

Re "drying" the noodles in the microwave: They don't get dry like dry pasta. One or two minutes of zapping just makes them noticeably dryer than when they had just come out of the boiling water.
Yes please let us know. Thanks.
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dartstar1
Stats: 273/256/160 starting again 1-26-12 @259 4-1-12 242
WOE: ATKINS 72 <8
Start Date: 10/12/2009
Well I finally gave in and am trying the ones I have had for about 3 months in fridge
These are the yam ones , had a little fishy smell not bad rinsed them for a long time then pan fried
I have them in a teri marinade now just soy, water , ginger, garlic, sf brown sugar
will let them sit over night then I will cok up some mushrooms and a little beef see how they come out
dartstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote