Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Best Onions for Onion Rings?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/668796-best-onions-onion-rings.html)

CarolynF 04-01-2010 11:36 AM

Best Onions for Onion Rings??

What do you think? Vadalia? Regular Yellow???

cleochatra 04-01-2010 11:41 AM

I've heard "Vidalia" mentioned with "Onion Rings", sooo? I've used sweet yellow, but they seem a little mushier/starchier.

Linny 04-01-2010 11:54 AM

I love vidalia or walla-walla :D

DBrown8614 04-01-2010 12:20 PM

Vidalia for sure here :)

Nigel 04-01-2010 01:34 PM

Vidalia are my choice, but the huge yellow onions work great also. Probably any onions, depending on what size onion rings you want.

Do you happen to have a batter or breading recipe to share?

CarolynF 04-01-2010 01:39 PM

I use the one that someone posted using Protein Powder..

She used the vanilla PP, but you could use the unflavored.

1/2 scoop P P
1 egg, beaten
1/4 tsp. baking powder
Mrs. Dash's garlic and herb.

Mix everything together and then fry..

I think the batter should be thick so it will stick, so you might want to vary the amount of PP, egg, etc..

Tyl 04-01-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 13322405)
Vidalia are my choice, but the huge yellow onions work great also. Probably any onions, depending on what size onion rings you want.

:clap:

CarolynF 04-01-2010 02:45 PM

I do think the unflavored whey protein powder is better with this...at least for me.

Beeb 04-01-2010 08:36 PM

CarolynF, how do they come out with the protein powder? I tried it and they were not very good, texture wise that is and the protein powder burned in the oil on me. Could be I did something wrong?

I like making them with the Gram (chickpea) flour the best. When it is seasoned right it is yummy and is like a beer batter on the onion rings.

At least I think so...;)

Nigel 04-03-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 13322425)
I use the one that someone posted using Protein Powder..

She used the vanilla PP, but you could use the unflavored.

1/2 scoop P P
1 egg, beaten
1/4 tsp. baking powder
Mrs. Dash's garlic and herb.

Mix everything together and then fry..

I think the batter should be thick so it will stick, so you might want to vary the amount of PP, egg, etc..

Thank you for the recipe. :clap:

Gweebles 04-03-2010 10:40 PM

Sweet Texas 1015's are the only way to go! The BEST onion ring onion and they make really good onion blossoms.

CarolynF 04-04-2010 05:41 AM

I found some Whey Protein Isolate, which I am going to use this week..

Beeb: The first batch with the unflavored was the best and I had to watch it like a hawk. I think we might have to cook these on a lower temp than "high" so they don't burn.

I'm looking for very sweet onions today..LOL..

Cookiepls 03-27-2013 08:16 AM

Low Carb Batter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 13322405)

I just came across what looks like a great breading recipe. Since I just found it I haven't tried it.

2/3 c Pork Rind Flour (12 Tbsp.) just finely crushed pork rinds
1/3 c Parmesan Cheese (powder and not a shredded parm.)
tsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp. Parsley Flakes
tsp. Cayenne Pepper
tsp. Thyme, dried
tsp. Paprika
tsp. Black Pepper
Combine and store in the fridge.

Gibbs 03-27-2013 11:11 AM

I've heard (on a food channel) that leeks are best for onion rings, they turn out less greasy. I've never tried them, but since they belong to the onion and garlic families, I bet they are awesome!!