Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Xylitol vs Erythritol...what's the diff?

What is the difference between Xylitol and Erythritol when it comes to baking dessert? Is one better than the other? Are both about the same?

You have no idea how much your thoughts help! I am doing searches frantically, but your practical experience with the stuff would be appreciated beyond belief.

I'm branching out, but I don't want to waste product with a ridiculous application.

Thank you SO much.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Cleo, my experiences only here, YMMV!

I love both products. Erythritol, in its granular form, has more of a tendency to want to recrystallize - also it definitely has more of a "cooling" effect than xylitol does. The recrystallization isn't so much of a problem in cakes and such, but moreso in candies.

I also find that the E is about 70% as sweet as sugar; the X, maybe 80 to 85% as sweet. So BOTH require "boosting" with another sweetener, IMHO, and I use NuNaturals no carbs stevia (comes in a 3.5 ounce plastic bottle) for that purpose.

I ONLY have E in the granular type, and ONLY have X in the powdered type, so can only speak to those two things in my cooking repertoire. But I do like them both!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dartstar1
Stats: 273/256/160 starting again 1-26-12 @259 4-1-12 242
WOE: ATKINS 72 <8
Start Date: 10/12/2009
I use the e and to powder it I put it in my cuisinart Nut crusher then I add sweet and low so there is no cooling affect
dartstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I find the powdered erythritol my favorite. The xylitol crystals are much larger, the erythritol crystals are more the size of sugar crystals. I think the erythritol is lower carb. It's the one sugar alcohol I count as zero carbs. I don't see any blood sugar rise from it. Xylitol isn't too carby either, of course.

As to them being less sweet than sugar, I just use more rather than adding splenda in most cases. I don't think more "sugar" affects baking badly in most cases.

I don't find the cooling sensation a problem. I think it adds to the enjoyment of most things. I'm not always trying to make things that "pass" for high carb foods, just things that are healthy and enjoyable. The only way you can avoid the cooling sensation is to keep the stuff in solution. It's the endothermic reaction of it going into solution in a liquid (saliva) that makes it feel cool.

The best use of powdered erythritol, in my opinion, is making frosting. Very low carb and scrumptious.

The bigger challenge is the "flour" part of baking. I think you would be happy experimenting with both of these products. I recommend the powdered erythritol, since erythritol doesn't dissolve very well.

Last edited by ravenrose; 03-23-2010 at 08:06 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
something there

Thanks so much you guys!

I am working a cheesecake recipe now that has been plaguing me since the summer of 2008. AOMG. Has it been that long? I was almost there so many times. Almost. But the sweetener I used gave the cake a light chemical taste, and my cheesecake has got to be 100% decadent Jamie perfection.

I am wiping the slate clean and opening my mind to the many possibilities of e and x. Thank you SO much for your feedback! With any luck, I'm going to have my million dollar cheesecake recipe perfect!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

I amke my cheesecake with the E 3/4 of the sweetner amount E and the balance Sugar Twin with cyclamates no bitter taste NO CARBS
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
something there

Thank you, dart!

As an aside, where do you get the cyclamates? I thought only Canada had access to that.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misslatte
Stats: 5'11" - 260/~175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I love both products. Erythritol, in its granular form, has more of a tendency to want to recrystallize - also it definitely has more of a "cooling" effect than xylitol does. The recrystallization isn't so much of a problem in cakes and such, but moreso in candies.
I was going to say the exact same thing! I prefer Erythritol as I like the cooling effect it has and it has worked out wonderfully in the recipes I've whipped up.

I've picked up both Xylitol and Erythritol from a local business (in Broomfield) and am hooked.
misslatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I don't find the cooling sensation a problem. I think it adds to the enjoyment of most things. I'm not always trying to make things that "pass" for high carb foods, just things that are healthy and enjoyable. The only way you can avoid the cooling sensation is to keep the stuff in solution. It's the endothermic reaction of it going into solution in a liquid (saliva) that makes it feel cool.
Actually, for those who DO it a problem (and I would be one of those in things like frostings), adding a bit (1/8 tsp or less) of xanthan gum helps considerably to get rid of the cooling effect.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:17 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Thank you, dart!

As an aside, where do you get the cyclamates? I thought only Canada had access to that.
It is available for order online (from Canada).
Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Thank you, dart!

Yep
I ordered some online infact gharness gave me all the tips LOL
Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
something there

Thank you so much! I will be out to grab some X as soon as I can dig out of the snow. I mean, speaking of cooling effect...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snow.jpg (95.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
Gadget Gal

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR now that IS a cooling effect!

Sure is pretty though. (Says Char who is glad to be in CA where we don't gotta shovel no snow here at the coast....)
Old 03-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I like both, but tend to use xylitol a bit more because it doesn't have as much cooling as erythritol and I can get it locally. I always use either with stevia though as mentioned above. Emerald Forest xylitol has very fine crystals (like regular white sugar) and is my favorite brand.

Just beware using xylitol if you have dogs, they can die from eating it. Dogs metabolize Xylitol much differently than humans do. We process the stuff slowly. Dogs' bodies metabolize it all once. Xylitol tricks the dog's body into dumping massive amounts of insulin into the system but there's no actual sugar there for the insulin to act on. The dog's blood sugar levels plummet, and acute hypoglycemia sets in. It's perfectly safe for humans, as we metabolize it differently (slowly, our bodies actually produce xylitol in small quantities every day).
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
I used Xylitol in Lauren's frosting and though it tasted devine, it left a "bite" on my tongue so I don't use it anymore. I buy granular Erythritol. Lately, I have used it as is in cakes. I powder it for other uses. But I always use a combo of sweeteners...E and Stevia extract powder and Agave. I do use a little notSugar as well. I,also, use a little Splenda or SF Da Vinci from time to time. ( I am a super sensitive diabetic and the Agave does not jack my BS ). I think that sweetener taste and perception are so personal that you have to experiment to find your own best. Dee.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
I used Xylitol in Lauren's frosting and though it tasted devine, it left a "bite" on my tongue so I don't use it anymore. I buy granular Erythritol. Lately, I have used it as is in cakes. I powder it for other uses. But I always use a combo of sweeteners...E and Stevia extract powder and Agave. I do use a little notSugar as well. I,also, use a little Splenda or SF Da Vinci from time to time. ( I am a super sensitive diabetic and the Agave does not jack my BS ). I think that sweetener taste and perception are so personal that you have to experiment to find your own best. Dee.
That's right, Dee, about individual taste. Just for info, though, you probably already know that notSugar is a blend of gums, one of which is xanthan. Also, though, you may not taste it as much as some others do, just because you are you! As a matter of fact, it was in frosting that I first noticed it. I've used it in many other things that didn't bother me one bit. My xylitol is only granular so I have concentrated mostly on E.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oyvey
Stats: 217/160
WOE: paleo, sprinkling of fermented dairy
Start Date: 5/08
Xylitol is more likely to cause belly discomfort, especially if one isn't used to it. I use them 75/25 e/x, with a zosh of stevia, when I am baking.
oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
something there

Thanks for the help you guys! I have had two successful cheesecake experiments, thanks in no small part to your sharing what works for you in baking with erythritol and xylitol. Needless to say I've eaten a lot of cheesecake recently.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Ok, I got a ? Which one acts more like sugar for a "caramelize" effect in baking?

I used E for the Cracker Toffee Bars I just made, mixed with a little Ideal Sweetener and it didn't caramelize like I would like it to. Wondering if X would have been a better choice for this?
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
unfortunately neither of these caramelize. Lauren made a magic cookie bar and made a caramel sauce using erythritol and a very small amount of honey, maybe that would work? Her recipe is here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...okie-bars.html
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Thanks for staring this post!
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #22
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Thanks all and thanks BikerAng for the thread for the caramel sauce! YUMMY!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #23
something there

You know what's totally weird? Not only did I nail down two cheesecake recipes yesterday, I also lost weight yesterday. And I mean I sampled. I have always had bad luck with sugar alcohols, but x and e have been the definite exception to the rule. No crazy cravings either.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #24
Gadget Gal

I like to use both those now instead of Splenda. I have better baking results and it's less carby, particularly the E which has a glycemic index of just about 0, they add something to the texture of the baked item and they don't upset my tummy. Yeah, they might be a little pricier than Splenda (although I haven't done a cup for cup comparison and I buy my E in bulk) but I don't care - I'm most interested in RESULTS!

Cleo, glad your cheesecakes turned out well, and it doesn't surprise me that eating all that FAT would cause a little downward weight activity!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #25
something there

I've had mucho bad luck with sugar alcohols in the past with weight gain, cravings, you name it (remembering the great BlueBunnyDebacle of 2004). This encourages me that the two SA's cause neither weight gain nor blood sugar issues when used logically and moderately-- at least in my case.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
OMG, that Blue Bunny ice cream got me in HUGE and I mean HUGE trouble (lol). I made brownies this morning with X and pure stevia. They tasted exceptionally good and no funky aftertaste.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: HerBoudoir
Stats: going...going...about halfway gone
WOE: Atkins on 95% whole foods
Question: Why do you have to put erythritol through the processor to powder it?

I've really only used it in making creme anglaise so far, and didn't have any problems with it "melting".
HerBoudoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #28
something there

I've been fortunate with the xylitol. It hasn't kept its granulated state upon baking. For some, processing it turns it to flour which breaks down better.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:24 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: didi
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2007
Has anyone powdered xylitol successfully? I tried, but it didn't work. I was trying to put it in frosting and it flopped. Gritty and oily stuff. I had to eat it as a sauce, heated up on my cake. Also ruined my coco oil bark.

I bought Xylo Sweet, it's handy to buy locally. It worked great in the cake itself, I mix with Splenda quickpack,. I bought a huge amount of QPs when they were being discontinued. But I'm not wild about the aftertaste of Splenda.
didi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Have you tried melting the xylitol and adding it to your recipe as a liquid? I haven't done it with xylitol, but I do it with erythritol. I got the idea from someone on this board who melted their xylitol for a particular recipe.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote