Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
How To Make Carbalose Flour And Carbquik More Palatable - New Low-Carb Bake Mix Combo

Photograph, courtesy of Linda Sue, from Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

That headline seems a little harsh, but many people have complained that they detect a nasty, unacceptable taste in those products. Many boycott the products as a result. That is a pity as the products are actually very innovative and have some really wonderful uses. I recently discovered that by combining one of those flours half and half with my Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix, a wonderful thing happens - that strange taste seems to diminish or disappear completely depending on how sensitive you are to the aftertaste (I tasted nothing bad at all)! Together the two make a fascinating new low-carb bake mix, not too unlike using real flour. Try it and see. You can order these wonderful products by Tova from Netrition.com. You will be taking your low-carb experience up to a new level, I think. What is more the sodium content of these flours is what has put many people off as well. It's never fun to see a 2-lb water weight gain on the mean old scale in the morning. Now the sodium content will be cut by half and then it is cut further by the number of servings - not too bad at this point and no undue water weight should pile on. I have yet to try it in several other recipes but I did make the Cheddar Bay Biscuits on Linda Sue's fabulous website. She had a tweaked version of what apparently appeared on the Carbquik box and I followed it and substituted half the Carbquik with my Splendid Low-Carb Bake mix and half with Carbalose flour (probably could have used Carbquik but I didn't have any). I also added 2 tsp of baking powder, because the Carbquik is like a biscuit mix with the shortening and baking powder included. I used unsalted butter. They turned out super! No funky aftertaste at all in my opinion.

Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix

Here are the ingredients for the Low-Carb Bake Mix

1 2/3 cups ground almonds
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein (or plain)
(sweetened with sucralose, i.e. Splenda)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten

In large tupperware-type container with lid, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein and vital wheat gluten. Replace lid and shake until all ingredients are well combined. This recipe may be doubled or tripled, so that one always has bake mix on hand. I keep it at room temperature in the container for months, but it may be kept in the refrigerator or freezer as well.

Nutritional Analysis: 1/3 cup
162.9 calories; 14.3 g protein; 10.3 g fat; 3.3 g carbs

Some flexibility with this bake mix exists:

Let's see, some people feel the whey proteins are too expensive. They are expensive, but last a long time, especially if one does not bake very frequently. They also keep really well for ages at room temperature.

Instead of the vanilla whey protein, unsweetened plain whey protein can be substituted, especially for savory applications. Instead of the whey, you could use coconut flour (from Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!), golden flax meal (from Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!), ground walnuts, Carbalose flour (from Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!), oat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, soy flour (these last three have more or less the same number of carbohydrate grams) or any flour you desire.

Some people balk at the idea of ground almonds, thinking perhaps that is the most expensive part of the bake mix. 2/3 cups of the ground almonds could be replaced by any of the above suggestions. Ground almonds can be replaced by any ground nuts of your choice.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
That is so good to know, Jennifer..Thanks for experimenting for us.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're welcome, Carolyn. Hope I have not shot my mouth off too soon. I'm going to have to test it in a few more things. I will let you know how things turn out.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
That's interesting--am looking forward to hearing you shoot your mouth off in the future! Thanks
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ROFL I hope you're just being funny and not mean. I do tend to be impulsive sometimes, but I felt fairly confident that it should work with other recipes too, if it worked in the biscuit recipe.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The verdict is in on this interesting discovery

I made my Aunty Marie's Blueberry Muffins from Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Volume 1. First I made them with my bake mix and next I made them with half my bake mix and half Carbalose flour. Both muffins were delicious. The Carbalose ones rose a little higher (maybe because I used liners for them?) and were lighter in color and slightly less dense. I'm very pleased with both of them. I like the idea of the extra fiber in the Carbalose flour. I like the idea that the muffins are still quite low in sodium, so no water weight blues. Use unsalted butter with the Carbalose version, although I forgot and used salted butter and it was fine (I did add a couple of Splenda packets extra though to make it sweeter because I used the salted butter - saltiness cuts sweetness, especially with Splenda).

I'll post some pics and the muffin recipe tomorrow, hopefully, to show a comparison of the two. It's a rainy overcast day here and the lighting is bad - not good enough to take a photo.

The other interesting thing to this is that I didn't sub half Carbalose flour in the Splendid Low-Carb Bake mix, but I subbed half Carbalose flour in the Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix, which is what was called for in these moderately low-carb muffins (for later stages of Atkins).

So, conclusion: Sub half or less (depending on how sensitive you are to the taste of Carbalose flour and Carbquik) Carbalose flour or Carbquik (have not tried this though) in my recipes calling for another bake mix (have tested with Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix and Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix). If you have a regular recipe using white flour - again, substitute 1/2 Carbalose flour and 1/2 Low-Carb Bake Mix of choice.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Taste Testers - My two sons

Both said they preferred the Carbalose/Vital Oat Ultimate Low-Carb Bake Mix combination. Go figure! Both are nice, but that combo is a little more like white flour baking.

Remember it also works with Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix (the bake mix without grains in the recipe above) half and half or whatever ratio you prefer.

Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix

1 1/2 cups ground almonds (can use almond flour, but add a little more vital wheat gluten and oat flour - like one tablespoon of each)
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
Old 03-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We just took some photos of the 2 different blueberry muffins. I really wish I could say that my bake mix stood head and shoulders over the combination of my bake mix and Carbalose flour, but alas I can't. Although both are very nice, the Carbalose/Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix combo was very much like baking with white flour. It tasted so similar to me. This is good and bad news. Good news for Netrition and Tova if many people now go and purchase Carbalose flour to make this lovely bake mix and bad news too as it means using yet another specialty ingredient. To be honest it is worth buying a few specialty ingredients if one wants to be truly satisfied in the low-carb baking department.

I, for one, will now be buying much more Carbalose flour. I love it now!! I'll be honest. The reason I wasn't using it much, was not so much because of the aftertaste but more because of the high sodium content. I don't like a lot of sodium in things as my DH has high blood pressure and I myself detest water weight gains. I have tried Kevin's bake mix and it is really lovely, however, the water weight gains were what put me off unfortunately. Now I could even potentially make his bake mix and mix it half and half with mine and see how that works sometime. So many possibilities!

I'll post the pics soon.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aunty Marie's Blueberry Muffin Experiment

Two muffins in the foreground made with Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix and the ones in the paper cups are made with the new combination of Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix and Carbalose flour.

The darker one in the foreground is the one make only with Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix. It appears a little bigger since it is closest to the camera, but they are about the same size, except for the bottom of the other one because it was baked in a paper liner which tapers to the bottom.

AUNTY MARIE’S BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
Taste just like high carb muffins. I added a couple of Splenda packets extra for even sweeter muffins, but it is not necessary. So I did a comparison - one batch with Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix (8.2 g carbs) and one batch with half Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix and Carbalose flour (5.5 g carbs). Notice the carbs were reduced nicely per muffin.

1/4 cup butter (salted or unsalted), softened (50 mL)
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream (250 mL)
1/3 cup powdered erythritol (75 mL)
1/3 cup SPLENDA® Granular (75 mL)
OR 2/3 cup SPLENDA® Granular (150 mL)
2 tbsp Da Vinci® Sugar Free (25 mL)
Orange, OR Vanilla Syrup (OR vanilla, Splenda packet and water)
2 tsp grated lemon peel (10 mL)
1 3/4 cups (half Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix and Carbalose flour) (425 mL)
OR all Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix
1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
1 cup frozen blueberries (250 mL)
Optional Topping:
1 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular, (15 mL)
1/2 tsp lemon peel (2 mL)

In food processor with sharp blade or in bowl with electric mixer, process butter and eggs. Add sour cream, 2/3 cup (150 mL) SPLENDA® Granular (or erythritol-Splenda combo), Da Vinci® Sugar Free Orange or Vanilla Syrup and 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon peel; process.

In medium bowl, combine Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix, baking soda and baking powder. Stir in sour cream mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill 12 greased muffin cups 2/3 full or fill paper liners sprayed with Pam.

In small bowl, stir together SPLENDA® Granular and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) lemon peel if using the optional topping. Sprinkle tops of muffins with this mixture. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan.

Nutritional Analysis: Yield: 12 muffins, 1 muffin:
145.3 calories; 6.3 g protein; 10.7 g fat; 5.5 g carbs

Variation: Cranberry-Pecan Muffins: Use 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen cranberries (chopped finely in food processor) and 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans. Increase SPLENDA® Granular to 3/4 cup (175 mL).
Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Thank you Jennifer! Your a treasure
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Skeeter - takes one to know one as they say.

I really need to quit baking for a while and post some regular recipes. I'll probably do that for a while. I think people are more into weight loss mode now and that's good.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
ROFL I hope you're just being funny and not mean. I do tend to be impulsive sometimes, but I felt fairly confident that it should work with other recipes too, if it worked in the biscuit recipe.

Was being (or trying to be) funny, and was sincere--thanks for the information!
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Thanks, CreekWatcher. Have a nice day.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
? for Jennifer, please. How long does your bake mix last in the cabinet? And can I put it in the fridge for longer lasting results?

Thanks!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Hey Beeb

I freeze mine!
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beeb, these days I freeze mine, however, when we lived in a dry climate, I placed the bake mix in an airtight container at room temperature and it would last for months. HTH Thanks, Christina!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aaaw, Skeeter, what an adorable, beautiful baby!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Beeb, these days I freeze mine, however, when we lived in a dry climate, I placed the bake mix in an airtight container at room temperature and it would last for months. HTH Thanks, Christina!
Anytime Jen!
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote