Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Vegetarian Lowcarb Recipes

I am starting a thread to post recipes that are lowcarb vegetarian recipes. I have had some requests for information I might have on the subject and thought it would be best to start a nice thread on the recipe board where all the great cooks could contribute!

Please, only recipes you have tried ... in my experience, there are many out there, and like regular recipes, some are good, and some ain't so good, lol! it's always subjective, but chances are if you or your family enjoyed it, others will too!!!

Thanks!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #2

This is an entree if you eat lc vegetarian and I have portioned it out in very large pieces, so you could easily halve each and make it a side dish! Also, I tend to use ingredients that will lower the calorie count, sometimes sacrificing the carb level since I eat a few more net carbs than most people .. so if the nutrient values don't rock your world, play around with it some - you can sub whole eggs for the eggbeaters I have in there, sour cream or whole yogurt for the lowfat yogurt, etc etc etc. All that said, this is one of my faves of all time!

Baked Spinach Casserole

8 big servings

3 - 10 oz pkges frozen chopped spinach -- thawed and drained
3 - 4 oz cans of mushroom slices -- drained
4 whole large eggs
2 cups eggbeaters
3/4 cup lowfat yogurt
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups Hunt's Tomato Sauce
16 oz shredded mozzarella
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 teaspoon basil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12x16 baking pan with cooking spray.

Beat eggs with a fork then stir in all the spices, the yogurt and the parmesan cheese.

Mix well then stir in the spinach and mushrooms.

Spoon into the prepared pan and tap to settle into an even layer.

Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes then spread the sauce on top and sprinkle on the cheese. Bake an additional 15 minutes.

Let sit 15 minutes before cutting the casserole!

Calories 265, Net Carbs 7.4
Old 03-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #3

This is a recipe I converted to vegetarian. The original recipe was posted by Jennifer Eloff given to her by her Mother in Law, Kay, in South Africa and it rocks. See the original recipe here, and the directions/ingredients for the nut crust which I left out:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post13150107

My version leaves out the bacon, nut crust, and half the parmesan cheese. Substitutions are plain yogurt for the sour cream, and replacing some of the whole eggs with egg whites because those are standard items in my cupboard, and they help lower the total calorie count per serving so I can serve it with other yummy things.

My nine year old objected when I suggested that my older dd (also vegetarian) have the last two pieces the next night when the others have steak, lol!!! So it looks like I don't get another piece. It was a big hit!!!

Spinach, Leek and Feta Quiche

Ingredients

* 11 oz Leeks (I measured one very large leek!)
* 1 10 oz pkge of Chopped Spinach (frozen)
* 3 Large Eggs
* 3 large Egg Whites
* 1 8 oz pkge Neufchatel 1/3 Less Fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
* 1 container Plain Lowfat Yogurt (140 cal per cup)
* 4 oz Feta Cheese
* 1/4 cup Parm Cheese
* 4 Pam Cooking Spray

Directions

Start by spraying a cake pan with PAM spray to have ready for the quiche and set the oven to 350°F.

Cook leeks in PAM spray over medium heat until soft. Squeeze liquid out of spinach and add to leeks. In food processor or in bowl with electric mixer, process cream cheese. Add yogurt; process. Add eggs one at a time, while processing, until smooth. Stir in feta cheese and Parmesan cheese. Pour mixture over vegetables; stir to combine well. Now pour the mixture in to your oiled pan.

Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 50 minutes, or until set. Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Nutritional Count per Serving (6 slices)

Calories 251
Total Fat 16.93g
Total Carbohydrate 7.31g
...Dietary Fiber -1.48g
...Yogurt exception -2g
Net Carbohydrate 3.83g
Protein 15g
Old 03-01-2010, 05:40 AM   #4

Here are some recipes if you want to make your own "fake meat" to substitute in recipes for ground beef. Another option is to by the soy crumbles they sell at the supermarket next to the veggie burgers - these are generally less carby than the recipes below.

The Taco "Meat" comes to 70 net carbs for the equivalent of a pound of taco meat and the "Veg Ground Beef" comes to 41 net carbs for one pound, or 4-6 servings and there are ways to tweak slightly to lower the net carb counts. If you read through the recipe, I indicate where the carbs might be cut, etc.:

Vegetarian TVP Taco “Meat”
Approximately 4 – 6 servings = 1 pound ground beef in recipes

Ingredients:

• small onion chopped (6 net carbs)
• 1 green pepper chopped (4 net carbs)
• 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
• 2 cups TVP (24 net carbs)
• 2 – 2.5 cups hot boiling water
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce **
• 1 package taco seasoning (24 net carbs)
• 1/2 cup salsa (5 net carbs)

** Worcestershire sauce is not vegetarian, but there are vegetarian worcestershire sauces available or you can use something like nutritional yeast, or extra soy sauce for flavor.

Preparation:

Measure out the 2 cups of tvp into a large bowl.

Now, Pour 2 – 2.5 cups of hot water into your measuring cup, and add the soy and worcestershire sauce directly to the water. You want to soak the tvp so that it gets reconstituted, so pour the water mixture right into the tvp and mix well. This should now sit for a few minutes.

Sautee chopped onion and green pepper in the olive oil until soft. Add the TVP mixture to the onion / pepper mixture and stir well. Add in the taco seasoning and allow to cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.

Just before using, stir in ½ cup of salsa. You are now ready to use in any mexican-style recipe that calls for ground beef with taco seasoning.

Entire Recipe: Calories: 963, Net Carbs*: 70, Fat: 14.7 grams, Protein: 99 gm

*24 of the net carbs are from the taco seasoning, so if you choose to make this as plain ground beef, you decrease the net carbs considerably!

Notes:

My favorite way to use this is in Linda Sue’s recipe for Mexican Spinach Lasagna

I skip the onion in Linda Sue’s recipe since the Veg TVP Taco “Meat” already includes it. I also skip the homemade lowcarb taco seasoning because I am at Maintenance and am a lazy cook, but a lowcarber could always use that recipe of Linda’s as well in order to bring the carb count down.

Other ideas:

Ground Meat - Do not use the salsa or taco seasoning in the recipe (so the net carbs for the entire recipe come down to 41) and sautee/brown in oil in the last step. Use as a substitute for ground beef in any of Linda Sue's recipes calling for ground meat.

Taco Salad- eat over a bed of salad with chopped tomato, shredded cheddar, avocado or guacamole

Burrito - Wrap ingredients from Taco Salad into a lowcarb pita or other lc wrap or tortilla product

Mexican Omelette - Omelette with Taco Meat, cheddar and chopped tomato filling

One important thing to note is that anytime a vegetarian protein source is substituted for meat in a recipe, the carb count will be higher for the total recipe.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #5

Blackened Eggplant Parmagiana

12-16 oz eggplant (one nice sized eggplant)
1T olive oil
garlic salt
dried basil
A Cast Iron Frying Pan
.33 cup Tomato Puree (in can)
2 oz mozzarella
1T dry parmesan cheese
Frank's Hot Sauce

I ignore the old foodie way to prep eggplant. I never find it bitter AT ALL - so I dispense with the salt step.

What I do. Put 1T olive oil in cast iron frying pan. Slice up between 12 oz-16 oz of eggplant, then halve the slices into half-moons or quarters depending on how huge they are.

Throw them in the pan, stove on high. Sprinkle with garlic salt and dried basil. Let em cook a little bit, then flip over (do not worry about doing this evenly, getting the spices everywhere or anything like that. it does not make any difference in the end result, lol!). Now cover with a lid so they can steam while they cook.

Flip 'em over every time they smell like they are burning or whenever you remember (You are not frying them, but blackening them campfire-style roasty eggplant.). When they are soft - after a few minutes - turn them out onto a plate, throw on some pureed tomato, some grated parmesan cheese and some mozzarella (remember: you have already seasoned with the garlic salt and basil).

I then zap in the micro until the cheese melts (1min40secs in my micro). Liberally shake on the Frank's Hot Sauce (original) ... it is a very important ingredient giving both heat and a peppery flavor ..

And voila! Dinner! Now I eat a very big portion, so you may find you are just fine with 9-10 oz of the eggplant. I sometimes adjust the amount depending on how many carbs I did that day, and at one point was using even less tomato puree too for that reason.

The other day I was out of cheese and considered subbing in an ounce cream cheese and mixing it with the tomato puree .. I think that or ricotta would be nice too ...
Old 03-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Freesia
Stats: finally .. . .
WOE: love myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Blackened Eggplant Parmagiana

12-16 oz eggplant (one nice sized eggplant)
1T olive oil
garlic salt
dried basil
A Cast Iron Frying Pan
.33 cup Tomato Puree (in can)
2 oz mozzarella
1T dry parmesan cheese
Frank's Hot Sauce

I ignore the old foodie way to prep eggplant. I never find it bitter AT ALL - so I dispense with the salt step.

What I do. Put 1T olive oil in cast iron frying pan. Slice up between 12 oz-16 oz of eggplant, then halve the slices into half-moons or quarters depending on how huge they are.

Throw them in the pan, stove on high. Sprinkle with garlic salt and dried basil. Let em cook a little bit, then flip over (do not worry about doing this evenly, getting the spices everywhere or anything like that. it does not make any difference in the end result, lol!). Now cover with a lid so they can steam while they cook.

Flip 'em over every time they smell like they are burning or whenever you remember (You are not frying them, but blackening them campfire-style roasty eggplant.). When they are soft - after a few minutes - turn them out onto a plate, throw on some pureed tomato, some grated parmesan cheese and some mozzarella (remember: you have already seasoned with the garlic salt and basil).

I then zap in the micro until the cheese melts (1min40secs in my micro). Liberally shake on the Frank's Hot Sauce (original) ... it is a very important ingredient giving both heat and a peppery flavor ..

And voila! Dinner! Now I eat a very big portion, so you may find you are just fine with 9-10 oz of the eggplant. I sometimes adjust the amount depending on how many carbs I did that day, and at one point was using even less tomato puree too for that reason.

The other day I was out of cheese and considered subbing in an ounce cream cheese and mixing it with the tomato puree .. I think that or ricotta would be nice too ...
gotta try this . . .
Freesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
I tried TaDa's Blackened Eggplant Parmagiana last night and it was awesome!!!!

Years ago, I remember enjoying grilled eggplant with salsa. I may try using TaDa's method and subbing salsa for the tomato puree and cheddar or colby jack in place of the mozzarella....kind of like a Mexican pizza I guess.
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #8

Hey Freesia!! If you lived around here, I'd invite you over for some ... lol! and a raw hemp tortilla ... j/k Pauline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileySue View Post
I tried TaDa's Blackened Eggplant Parmagiana last night and it was awesome!!!!

Years ago, I remember enjoying grilled eggplant with salsa. I may try using TaDa's method and subbing salsa for the tomato puree and cheddar or colby jack in place of the mozzarella....kind of like a Mexican pizza I guess.
That sounds really good too Sue! Let us know how it turns out!!!!! I love me some salsa!!!!!

I'm trying out a new recipe tomorrow in my crockpot ... I am totally hoping it's a winner. If it is, I'll post it!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #9

I have been working on a vegan muffin recipe in order to try to have one Vegan lowcarb day a week and am posting one that I have been using. The Minute Muffin itself is vegetarian, and a great thing! LOL! I have posted it at the very bottom of this post, but for a long thread with many variations, go here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...in-recipe.html

This is what I have come up with for a vegan version. It is, by necessity flatter (less rise due to the elimination of the eggs) and a little wetter. I think it is tasty but can use some kind of topping like perhaps sugarfree jam or jelly. There is a post on a forum called Veggieboards where they use cream of coconut, whip it and add sweetener so that would be another delicious option! Myself I need to be economical with my time and effort in cooking so I will likely try the sf jam option at some point!

Note: For both versions, make sure you get baking powder with 0 carbs -- some brands add cornstarch as well as carbs!

Vegan Minute Plus Flax Muffin

1/4 cup Ground Flax or Flax Meal
1 t Baking Powder
1 t Cinnamon
1 T Coconut Oil
4 drops of liquid splenda
2 T hot boiling water

Mix the dry ingredients together and place them in a small cup or small tupperware. Place the tablespoon of solid coconut oil on top of the dry ingredients and place 4 drops of liquid splenda on top of that. Now take two tablespoons of boiling water and pour over the top. Quickly mix it all together trying to blend the ingredients as much as possible. Place it in the microwave for 80 seconds and you are finished. Allow it to cool before eating with sweet garnish of some sort.

........ 246 calories, 1.7 net carbs, 22.8 gm fat ........

Original Minute Muffin (vegetarian)

1/4 cup Flax Meal
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Egg
1-2 teaspoons Butter

Mix the dry ingredients in a large coffee cup. Add egg and butter; mix well. Microwave for 50-seconds to 1-minute. Muffin pops right out

1.5 Carbs -- higher calories than the vegan version as far as I remember.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
Hi TaDa....thanks for starting this thread! I'm low carb, but my 15 year old daughter is a vegetarian...and trying to find things we can both eat together is always a challenge! Great ideas so far, I'll have to look in my recipe box for some of our tried and true vegetarian recipes to add...
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #11

Hi Chickamommy, my 14 year old also turned vegetarian a couple of years ago (and I think my 9 year old is on the path, lol!). She eats higher carb vegetarian and, of course I eat lowcarb vegetarian, but I am very used to making meals that accommodate both of us plus the meateaters in the house - with my youngest needing to watch her weight (as well as some severe food allergies -- it is INSANE here! lol!).

What suits you two will very much be dictated by your level on Atkins and what food add-ins you may have included if you are on OWL. One of the best - everybody eats it - meals here is crustless quiche with sides of veg.

And yesterday my dd took both regular (for her) and lc pitas (for my youngest) and made "pita pizzas" with fresh tomato, onion olives, mozzarella, feta (and ham on top for my little carnivore) .. and so essentially the two ate the same meal. I would get your dd involved in the cooking if you can at all -- it is so important for them and gives them a real sense of pride in their abilities and better attitude toward fresh healthy ingredients, lol! It was not too long ago that 14 year old wouldn't come within 2 feet of a tomato!!!!!!

p.s. Please do add to this vegetarian recipe thread if you have any successes in the kitchen!!! I am hoping for lots of tried and true recipes to share in here!!

Last edited by TaDa!; 04-09-2010 at 10:29 AM..
Old 04-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
One of the things we do, which requires no recipe, is a lasagna bar-

I make her regular lasagna noodles....and use blanched zucchini strips for me. I make a ricotta 'filling' with grated parm and some italian spices. Then, all sorts of grilled veggies, olives, and meats in seperate bowls, along with some low carb pasta sauce. Then, we make our own plates, microwave until warm, and each have a custom made 'lasagna'....

(Have not gotten to the recipe box yet today...lol....been busy cooking and baking up a storm)
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Caribbean Coconut Cauli Rice - Just omit the bacon - its just as good without it.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...onut-rice.html
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Hi Tada!

I have a file in the computer of some recipes I will get up.. right now this is one of our fav:

Indian spiced cauliflower..

I used a whole cauliflower, a whole yellow onion, and 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered.. and LOTS of spices..

steam the cali and onion a bit ahead of time - only till about half done...

Then use ½ stick butter, melt it.. add fennel seed, anise, whole cloves, and a broken up cinnamon stick to the butter.. sauté it about 4 min then add the already steamed veggies and the tomatoes.. add curry powder, red pepper flakes, paprika, garlic, bay leaf and sea salt.

Cooked it in my large pot with a lid for about 10 min.. stirring well from time to time - may need to add more butter.. it was FANTASTIC.. the best cali I have done so far.. YUM!!!

Sorry I don't have a "real" recipe. I just pulled this out of my journal from when I was doing veggie LC.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I love this recipe for macafoni and cheese. I don't know who to credit.

1 pack of firm tofu (could use steamed cauliflower if you can't have tofu)
2 cups sharp cheddar
2 eggs
1/4 cup cream
onion and garlic to taste
dry mustard to taste
salt and pepper
pinch of nutmeg

mix together top with more cheese bake in 375 oven 30 mins
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:55 AM   #16

Glad you tried and liked it Sistertzu! A good first way to use tofu! I have had it in my list of recipes to try but haven't tried it yet!! (one of my children has a mustard allergy). I think I saw it on another website some time in the past!! My records list trulylowcarb.com where the owner sells her cookbooks - but I just went over and the only one I found used cauliflower and bacon like Linda Sue's version.

Here is a link to an lcf post where Stargirl21 posted the tofu version with good directions on preparing the tofu: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ac-cheese.html

Thanks so much for posting this Sistertzu!!!!

Pauline
Old 04-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
Resident crazy dog lady

Thanks for the link.

I'm not into fake meat stuffs, but I have been working on a recipe for soy crumbles that turned out really well for whatever you would use hamburger. The ones in the store have so many ingredients and are quite expensive.

1 cup textured vegetable protein
1/4 cup ground flax (I used light seeds)
1/4 cup chia seeds (ground in coffee grinder)
salt or salt seasoning to taste (pappys 50% less salt)
pepper to taste
2 T soy (wheat free)
garlic /onion to taste
oil /clarified butter for sauteing
1 cup boiling water or broth

Ok, put everything except chia powder and oil in a large mixing cup
add water or broth, stir, let sit an hour.
add chia powder stir, it will be sticky and weird
heat skillet add fat of your choice
saute, browning and breaking up as desired
cook until the moisture is evaporated and it's nicely browned

It freezes well. So many flavor possibilities. Sausage spices would be great. I haven't made patties with it yet. I am going to try different ingredients for the chia powder too like almond or soy flour.

RIP Daisy Dog 1/26/1997 - 7/11/2012

Not every person knows how to love a dog, but every dog knows how to love a person.

Last edited by sistertzu; 04-13-2010 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
Thanks for the link.

I'm not into fake meat stuffs, but I have been working on a recipe for soy crumbles that turned out really well for whatever you would use hamburger. The ones in the store have so many ingredients and are quite expensive.

1 cup textured vegetable protein
1/4 cup ground flax (I used light seeds)
1/4 cup chia seeds (ground in coffee grinder)
salt or salt seasoning to taste (pappys 50% less salt)
pepper to taste
2 T soy (wheat free)
garlic /onion to taste
oil /clarified butter for sauteing
1 cup boiling water or broth

Ok, put everything except chia powder and oil in a large mixing cup
add water or broth, stir, let sit an hour.
add chia powder stir, it will be sticky and weird
heat skillet add fat of your choice
saute, browning and breaking up as desired
cook until the moisture is evaporated and it's nicely browned

It freezes well. So many flavor possibilities. Sausage spices would be great. I haven't made patties with it yet. I am going to try different ingredients for the chia powder too like almond or soy flour.

Thank you for this recipe. Where it says 2 T. soy - what would that be? Would it be tofu or smashed soy beans or soy flour? please help...I'm always looking for a good meat substitute and most commercial ones, I really don't like or can't eat due to the ingredients
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #19
Resident crazy dog lady

Soy sauce or some equivalent, sorry it wasn't more clear. Here is a pic too of the plain crumbles.

Last edited by sistertzu; 04-14-2010 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: link
Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you. The picture doesn't work for me, but thank you again.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #21
Resident crazy dog lady

I apologize maybe it will work now, I made it public. I'm new at this picture thing.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you. It worked this time. It looks pretty darn good too.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #23
Resident crazy dog lady

I know! It so surprised me. Thanks that's why I shared the recipe.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
I know! It so surprised me. Thanks that's why I shared the recipe.
:c lap:

Hey there Lady,
You've got a winner in this recipe!! I made it tonight and it turned out great. My neighbor was over and saw me cooking it up and asked if I was making tacos...I said, no, not really and he wanted a taste...he tasted it and said, oh, yeah, spaghetti. I just laughed. He didn't know it wasn't beef and I wasn't telling. I didn't make anything out of it yet, but it tastes good just like that. I added Italian seasonings to it, that's all. Thank you again.

Wish I had a camera, it looked very much like yours.

Last edited by Nigel; 04-15-2010 at 05:20 PM..
Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #25
Resident crazy dog lady

Thanks for letting me know. That's great that you got the same results.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #26
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Thanks you guys.
Here is a picture for you, Nigel, buddy.

We like this a lot, going to make sloppy joes from it tonight. Yum!!
Thanks for the recipe sistertzu.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #27
Resident crazy dog lady

I'm so happy that it worked out.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:47 AM   #28

Noodles and Pastas

Sherataki, Sheratake, Miracle noodles are all another good vegetarian option. I use House Brand Tofu Sherataki which I can find at Whole Foods in the refrigerated section. They come in a weird bag filled with water.

These noodles lend themselves more to Asian cuisine than to Italian cuisine. The texture of them does not allow for the soaking in of sauces the way regular pasta does. There are multiple threads on this website discussing them and giving recipes, so if you are very interested, do a search!

Cooking Technique: There is some prep work before these can be used in recipes. It is basically a 2-step process, rinse and pan-dry.

I simply slit the top of the bag, pour out the liquid and then run under the faucet, rinsing right in the bag. Meanwhile I heat a non-stick pan, sometimes spray it with PAM or use oil. After rinsing, I throw the noodles in there and heat them until all the water has dried and now they are ready to be used in recipes!

My Favorite (quick!!) Sheratake Recipes:

After rinsing and drying them in a hot pan as described above:

1) Pour 1.5T melted butter on top and garnish with 2T parmesan cheese. Lovely with a side of sauteed cabbage or some other green veggie

2) Make Ramen Noodles!!!! Make a cube of Knorr vegetarian bouillon (from the soup aisle), throw in your prepared noodles and add a few tablespoons of sour cream (and sliced green onions, and/or cubes of fresh tofu if you like) ... killer good!!!

Italian Pasta Dishes

I actually mostly eat the various Italian sauces from high carb vegetarian days, poured with the lovely cheeses and cream, right over a bed of sauteed spinach, or other green vegetables. I love sauteed cabbage as noodles too! And when I go out to eat Italian, I always have the restaurants do this for me and I often get comments from the chef or waiter .. on how amazing it looks and how they'll consider adding it to their menu! lol!

But, many have found the Davincis pasta products to be a good occasional option. The taste and texture is exactly like regular semolina pasta using a resistant starch that makes your body not absorb the carbs .. it is still carbier than a lot of the foods I eat so I have not had a lot of this. My family, though, cannot tell the difference between it and regular pasta. For a lot of lengthy discussion of this product and it's carb claims, do a search for the many threads here on this subject.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #29
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
For those who eat tomatoes and onions, this is a great breakfast for dinner dish!

Mulligan Stew with Poached or Fried Eggs

3-4 Pieces of bacon (For meat eaters. For vegetarians, substitute 2 Tbsp Olive Oil)
1 Onion, medium, chopped
14-1/2 Can of Tomato Sauce or Chopped Tomatoes
½ Can of Water, measured in tomato can
¼ tsp Granulated Garlic Powder or 1-2 Cloves Garlic, pressed
Salt and Pepper to taste

Fry bacon until almost done then add onion and cook until onion is tender and starting to brown on the edges. If making this vegetarian, simply saute the onion in olive oil until tender and translucent. Add tomatoes and reduce heat to simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes until liquid is thickened and reduced. Salt and pepper to taste. You can add any types of herbs, fresh or dried that you like. Thyme works great, so does basil and oregano or tarragon.

Serve over toast, bread, or English Muffin - flax bread or some of the spinach bread works great too!!

Option: This is also awesome served as a “stack”. Layer the toast or English Muffin and layer with a fried egg-over easy or poached egg and topped with the Mulligan Stew. It’s also great to serve with jicama or radish hashbrowns on the side. Wow, sure takes me back!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #30
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Okra and Tomatoes Over Cauli Rice

1 lb Okra, fresh
1 Onion, diced
2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 tsp Thyme, dried
1/4 tsp Basil, dried
Salt and Pepper to taste
1-2 Large Tomatoes, very ripe, chopped

Wash okra and cut the stem ends off. Cut into 3/8 to 1/2 inch pieces. Saute okra in a non-stick skillet coated with olive oil, over medium to medium-high heat. Stir frequently. The okra will be gummy and stringy/slimey at first. But as you cook it off and "fry" it in the saute pan, the stringiness will cook off until the okra is tender and doesn't have any "goo" in the pan. At this point, you can add a little extra olive oil, add your onions and spices and saute until onion is tender and translucent. Add chopped tomatoes and cover.

Let it simmer on low for 30 minutes or an hour until everything has melded an tomatoes have broken down. At this point adjust seasoning and serve over a bed of cauli rice or use this as a foundation for soups, stews, and gumbos of all kinds. You can easily add any kind of seafood to this, poached eggs are great on it, and for meat eaters, you can eat it as a side dish or even add meats and stocks to it.

Okra is supposed to be one of the "complete" veggies will all 9 essential amino acids but I haven't done the research to see if this is true or not. It is supposed to be very high in iron. I know I feel really satisfied and comforted with this dish from my "growin' up years".
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote