Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Let's start an "International Low-Carb recipes" thread:)

Post your favorite international cuisine recipe here
Doesn't have to be 100% authentic, just give the gist of it
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Administrator

Cuban Pork with Mojo Sauce

4lb pork butt roast
10 cloves garlic, all sliced thinly
2tsp ground cumin
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup good olive oil
1/3 cup lime juice
1 tsp lime zest
2 tsp orange zest
1T chopped cilantro

Mix salt, pepper and cumin and set aside.
Preheat oven to 400f.
Stab pork all over and insert about 1/2 the garlic slices into the slits. Rub with 3/4 of the seasoning mixture.
Place pork in a deep pan and cover with foil. Bake, covered, for 2 hours then uncover and bake an additional hour, basting every 10-15 minutes.
Remove and let cool 20 minutes before slicing or shredding.
While pork is cooking, heat olive oil in a saucepan until it is just hot when you hold your hand over it. Remove from heat, add remaining garlic and let sit for 1 hour to cool and infuse.
Once it's cooled, add remaining ingredients and puree until smooth and emulsified.

Serve over the cooked pork.

*Note: if you add the zest with the garlic, while the oil is hot, you get a more citrus flavor.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Crockpot Chile Verde

about 2 pounds leftover pork roast, cubed
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 Poblano pepper, chopped
1 7 oz. can diced Ortega chiles
1 28 oz. can Las Palmas green enchilada sauce

Put the onion in the crockpot, then the pork, then everything else on top. Let cook on Low 5 to 8 hours.

Easy and yummy!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I got this off of LindaSue's website, the original recipe is Rachael Ray's. I use chicken thighs because they are juicier. I also cut up the chicken thighs and rub the seasoning rub on the veggies too and instead of cooking everything seperately I put the meat and veggies on skewers and cook it all on the grill.

CHICKEN SHAWARMA

Ingredients

Tahini Sauce:
1 tablespoon tahini
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Yocheese or Greek yogurt
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
Pinch salt

Chicken Seasoning Rub:
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon grill seasoning
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 large clove garlic minced
3 tablespoons oil
4 boneless chicken breasts

Veggie Mixture:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion sliced, 5 1/4 ounces
1 red bell pepper sliced
1 yellow bell pepper sliced

Instructions

In a small bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients and keep chilled until serving time. Make sure that all of your vegetables are prepped and spices measured out before starting to do any of the cooking.

In another small bowl, mix all the chicken seasoning ingredients, except the chicken, to form a paste. Rub the paste mixture all over the chicken to coat well. Grill the chicken on an indoor or outdoor grill about 3 minutes per side until just done. Don't let the chicken overcook or it will be dry.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and peppers until they just start to char a little on the edges and the onions are caramelized; season with salt and pepper.

Slice the chicken thinly. Serve with the peppers and top with some of the yogurt-tahini sauce. If you wish, you can put the chicken, peppers and sauce in pita bread or tortillas like Rachael did.

Last edited by BikerAng; 02-24-2010 at 04:48 PM..
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
Administrator

Simple Eggs Foo Young

Olive oil
1/2 cup La Choy Chop Suey Vegetables (3g carbs/1g fiber; 15 calories)
1 T soy sauce (1g carbs; 15 cals)
2 large eggs, beaten (140 cals for 2 large eggs)
salt and pepper

sauce:
1tsp soy sauce
2T chicken broth
pinch each ground ginger and garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Mix vegetables, soy sauce, salt, pepper and eggs.
Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet and pour in mixture. Cook like until set (about 1 minute) then flip and cook until cooked through.
Slide out of pan and add the sauce ingredients and cook until slightly reduced. Drizzle over the egg/veggies.

If you like more sauce, double the ingredients.
This makes a very quick and filling breakfast for about 5g carbs and under 200 calories.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Posted elsewhere. Here is the Pad Thai recipe from Low Carb Energy magazine. It was written by Karen Barbaby, who has a fabulous low carb cookbook.

Pad Thai
6 T lc ketchup
1 T sweetener
1 t white vinegar
2 T soy sauce
1 T fish sauce
1 t arrowroot starch (I used sprinkled xanthan)
2 T chili paste, or to taste

2 T oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
1/2 pound cooked, thawed baby shrimp, well drained
2 8 oz pkg fettucine shaped tofu shirataki, rinsed (I used plain shirataki)
1/2 c thinly diagonally sliced green pnion
2 T finely chopped roasted unsalted peanuts (I used salted)

To make sauce, combine first 7 ingredients. Heat oil in large frying pan over high heat. Add garlic and fry until pale gold. Add eggs and scramble until almost set. Add bean sprouts and shrimp. Stir fry until heated. Add sauce, cook until it boils. Add noodles and green onion. Stir fry until hot.

This is very good. We added extra shrimp to lower the carb count per serving.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
Oohh! Thank you for this thread. I don't have any recipes to contribute but maybe someone can help me. I really miss my asian soups. There is a meatball soup that I used to go get all the time. It had noodles though, but the broth was full of onions, chives, and meatballs and... well I forget what else as it's been so long. I'm wondering how to recreate it.

Anyone have any good asian soup recipes? Thanks!
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002

CHANDRAN'S CHICKEN CURRY (INDIAN)
2 tablespoons oil
1 large onion, sliced thin, 5 1/4 ounces
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
1 medium tomato, diced, 4 1/2 ounces
1/2 cup water
2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut in 1" cubes (see my comments below)
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

Spice Mixture:
4 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

Combine the spice mixture in a small bowl; set aside. Have all of the remaining ingredients chopped, measured and ready to add when needed. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or wok. Cook the onion over medium heat until browned around the edges, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute. Add the spice mixture. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add the tomato and water. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the tomato has softened, about 2 minutes.

Add the chicken and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut milk and simmer 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the chicken is done. Stir in the cilantro. Serve over chopped iceberg lettuce or other vegetables, if desired.

Makes 4-6 servings

Per 1/4 Recipe: 263 Calories; 19g Fat; 16g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 175 Calories; 13g Fat; 11g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #9

SANDRA'S CHICKEN WITH PEANUT CURRY SAUCE (THAI)
2 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast, cubed *
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 ounces frozen cut green beans, thawed
8 ounces frozen bell pepper strips, thawed
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional

Sauce:
13.5 ounces coconut milk, 1 can
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon red Thai curry paste
1/3 cup natural peanut butter **
2 tablespoon granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1 tablespoon lime juice
Cilantro for garnish, optional

In a 4-cup measuring cup, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients except the cilantro; set aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the chicken just until the outside is opaque. Add the green beans and peppers; cook another 3 minutes, stirring frequently. If using the xanthan gum, sprinkle it over the meat and vegetables and quickly stir in well.

Add the sauce to the skillet with the chicken and vegetables. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer 6-8 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly. Sprinkle with cilantro to serve.

Makes 4-6 servings

* If you want to get 6 servings I suggest using 2 pounds of chicken.

** Sandra used crunchy peanut butter. I used creamy in mine.

Per 1/4 Recipe: 608 Calories; 38g Fat; 48g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 12g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 405 Calories; 26g Fat; 32g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Dietary Fiber; 8.5g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #10

KUNG PAO CHICKEN (CHINESE)
1 pound boneless chicken thighs, in 1" cubes
1 tablespoon dry white wine
2 teaspoons soy sauce

3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ginger, grated
3 tablespoons oil, divided

1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

3/4 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/8-1/4 teaspoon sambal oelek, optional

1 red bell pepper, chopped in 1/2" pieces
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 green onions, sliced thin

Marinate the chicken with the wine and soy sauce about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the garlic, ginger and 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl; set aside. Combine the peanuts and chili flakes in a small bowl. In a measuring cup, mix the broth, vinegar, sesame oil, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce and sambal oelek, if using.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet or wok over high heat. Add the chicken and cook without stirring 2 minutes to brown one side; stir and cook 1 1/2-2 minutes longer until the chicken is no longer pink. Add the peanuts and chili flakes. Cook until the peanuts begin to darken slightly, 30-40 seconds. Remove the chicken and peanuts from the skillet.

Heat the remaining tablespoon oil in the skillet. Cook the red bell pepper until slightly softened about 45 seconds. Push the peppers to the sides of the skillet; add the garlic and ginger mixture and cook 10-15 seconds until fragrant. Mix with the peppers. Return the chicken and peanuts to the skillet. Lightly sprinkle with the xanthan gum then quickly mix in. Add the sauce mixture and cook until thickened. Stir in the green onions.

Makes 4 servings

Per Serving: 259 Calories; 21g Fat; 12g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

I saw them make this on the America's Test Kitchen TV show. The original was thickened with cornstarch but xanthan gum works fine. I added the sambal oelek for more heat. Leave it out if you don't like your food hot. Mine came out quite fiery but I liked it very much. Although the hoisin and oyster sauces are pretty carby, you don't use that much. They are important for the flavor of this dish so don't leave them out.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #11

BULKOGI (KOREAN)
2 pounds top sirloin steak
5 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup granulated Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
5 tablespoon water
Leaf lettuce, optional

Partially freeze the beef about an hour or so to make it easier to slice. Slice the beef as thinly as possible against the grain. It should be in very thin slices, but not falling apart. Mix all of the remaining ingredients except the lettuce. Pour over the meat and marinate at least 1 hour. I put the meat and marinade in a ziploc bag, set it in a baking pan and turned it occasionally.

Preheat a contact-type grill (Foreman, GE, etc.) and grill the meat in batches without closing the lid. Turn meat after a few seconds (it cooks very quickly) to brown the other side and remove to a serving plate; repeat with remaining meat. I have a GE contact grill which opens flat to provide 2 grilling surfaces which is very handy. You can sauté the meat in a nonstick skillet as well. Serve beef rolled up in lettuce leaves if desired.

Makes 6-8 servings

With granular Splenda:
Per 1/6 Recipe: 223 Calories; 9g Fat; 31g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 167 Calories; 6g Fat; 24g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 1/6 Recipe: 219 Calories; 9g Fat; 31g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 164 Calories; 6g Fat; 24g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

TYLER'S QUICK SPICY KIMCHEE (KOREAN)
1 head napa cabbage, 1 to 1 1/2 pounds
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 tablespoons chili paste
1 tablespoon ginger root, grated
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 green onions, sliced fine

Chop the stem end off the cabbage and then cut it into quarters lengthwise. Cut the quarters into 1/2-inch chunks. Place in a large colander and add the salt; mix well. Place over a bowl or in the sink and let drain, covered, about 2 hours until wilted.

In a large bowl, mix the vinegar and Splenda. Add the remaining ingredients. Rinse the salt off the cabbage well. Drain then add to the vinegar mixture. Pack into a clean quart canning jar, packing down the cabbage tightly. Add enough water to cover the cabbage. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours and preferably overnight. This will get hotter as it ages.

Makes about 8 servings

Per Serving: 31 Calories; trace Fat; 2g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Dietary Fiber; 4.5g Net Carbs

This is from Tyler Florence of Food Network. Although I'm not a big kimchee fan, my husband is and I made this for him to go with some Bulkogi (Korean Barbecue). I thought that the ginger was a little too strong and I don't recall ever tasting ginger in the kimchee that I've eaten. My husband like it but he thought it could be a lot hotter.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #12

ASIAN PORK & CABBAGE SKILLET DINNER (CHINESE)
1 pound ground pork *
1 small onion, slivered, 2 1/2 ounces
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon granular Splenda
Pinch crushed red pepper
16 ounce bag shredded cabbage with carrots

In a very large skillet or wok, brown the meat with the onion and garlic; drain any excess grease. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the meat and mix in well. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed.

Makes 4-6 servings

* Ground turkey, chicken or beef would work just as well as pork.

Per 1/4 Recipe: 280 Calories; 17g Fat; 23g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 186 Calories; 11g Fat; 15g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

This is very easy to make and quite tasty in a comfort food kind of way. I thought about adding a little sesame oil but it made it taste a little harsh so I didn't. In fact, adding a tiny bit of Splenda helped take the slight bite out of the cabbage. You could easily change this up by adding some hot chili paste or some extra vegetables such as mushrooms or bean sprouts. Although this didn't come out very saucy, it is by no means dry and I like it as it is. If you'd like more of a sauce, try doubling the soy sauce.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #13

FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST (ENGLAND)
2 eggs
3 slices Canadian bacon
2 sausage links, brown and serve
1 Roma tomato, halved lengthwise
2 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
1 tablespoon butter

Heat the butter in a large skillet. Sauté the mushrooms on medium-high heat until tender, season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and keep warm. In the same skillet, place the tomatoes, bacon and sausage links. Cook until heated through and browned. Turn to cook both sides of the tomato and meats. Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, fry or scramble the eggs in the remaining butter in a small skillet. Arrange everything on a dinner plate and eat.

Makes 1 serving

Per Serving: 592 Calories; 48g Fat; 33g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #14

RACHAEL'S GYRO BURGERS WITH GREEK SALAD (GREEK)
Tzatziki Sauce:
1 cup Yocheese or Greek yogurt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 English cucumber, finely chopped, 4 ounces *
1 tablespoon lemon juice *
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste

Greek Salad:
1/2 cup peperoncini, sliced, about 2 ounces
1/2 cup kalamata olives, optional
16 grape tomatoes, halved, about 6 ounces
2 ounces red onion, chopped, about 1/2 cup
1 green pepper, chopped, about 4 ounces
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces romaine hearts, chopped
1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled

Burgers:
1 pound ground turkey
1 pound ground lamb
2 sprigs fresh oregano, finely chopped, 4 grams
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup parsley, chopped, 3 grams
1 tablespoon lemon zest, from 1 lemon (see my comments below) *
1 tablespoon olive oil, for frying

Make the tzatziki sauce by combining all the ingredients; let chill for about an hour to blend the flavors. At this point I mixed up all of the salad ingredients except for the lettuce and feta cheese in a large bowl. I thought it would be nice for the vegetables to marinate in the dressing for a bit. I prepared all of my ingredients a couple hours ahead of time but, if you're going to serve this right away, go ahead and toss all of the salad ingredients together to let the flavors blend while cooking the burgers.

Combine the burger ingredients except for the oil in a large bowl. Divide into 6 equal portions and form into patties. Make an indentation in the center of each patty to keep them from puffing up while cooking. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers 5-6 minutes per side or until done to your liking.

If you haven't already done so, toss all of the salad ingredients together. Serve the burgers over the salad and top with tzatziki sauce, using about 1/4 cup sauce per serving.

Makes 6 servings

* I used 1/2 of a large regular cucumber which I peeled and seeded. You'll need 1 lemon for the entire recipe. One medium lemon will yield about 2 tablespoons juice and 1 tablespoon zest.

Per Serving: 573 Calories; 45g Fat; 32g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 8g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #15

ORANGE PORK WITH PEPPERS (CHINESE)
2 tablespoons oil
2 medium carrots, julienned, 5 3/4 ounces
1 pound leftover roast pork, julienned
4 small bell peppers, julienned *
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
Sauce (see recipe below)

Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots; stir-fry just until the carrots start to lose a little of their crunch. Add the pork and peppers. Stir-fry until the pork is heated through and the peppers are tender-crisp. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the meat and vegetables; mix well. Pour in the sauce mixture and cook until thickened.

Makes 4 servings

* I used one each green, red, yellow and orange or about 11 ounces pepper strips.

SAUCE:
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh orange juice, you'll need 2 small oranges
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/4 cup plus 4 teaspoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/4 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon Polaner minced jalapeños, optional

Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl or 2-cup measuring cup.

With Carrots:
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 330 Calories; 14g Fat; 33g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 3.5g Dietary Fiber; 14.5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 322 Calories; 14g Fat; 33g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 3.5g Dietary Fiber; 12.5g Net Carbs

Without Carrots:
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 314 Calories; 14g Fat; 33g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 12g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 306 Calories; 14g Fat; 33g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 10g Net Carbs

I got this idea from an America's Test Kitchen recipe called Orange-Flavored Chicken. I wanted to try the sauce mixture before trying the chicken recipe so I used it with some leftover pork roast that I had on hand. Even with all the tweaks I had to make to make it low carb, the sauce is delicious. It's not too sweet and has a nice tang from the orange zest. It has a very nice orange flavor. I've included the counts without carrots for those who don't eat them.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #16

THAI PORK LETTUCE WRAPS (THAI)
1 pound ground pork or turkey
1 small onion, sliced thin, 2 1/2 ounces
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups coleslaw mix with carrots, about 4 ounces

1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

8 romaine lettuce leaves, for wraps, 5 ounces total
Fresh cilantro, for garnish, optional

Brown the pork and onions in a large skillet or wok; drain the fat. Add the ginger, garlic and slaw mix; stir-fry 2 minutes or until the vegetables have wilted. Meanwhile, combine the next 6 ingredients in a small bowl then add to the skillet. Cook and stir constantly 1 minute. Add cilantro, if desired. Spoon the meat mixture into lettuce leaves and roll up to eat.

Makes 4 servings

Per Serving: 276 Calories; 18g Fat; 22g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #17

SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH CHEESE-CRUSTED LEEKS (ENGLAND)
Filling:
2 pounds ground beef
1 small onion, 2 1/2 ounces
1 medium carrot, chopped, about 2 1/2 ounces *
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoons low carb ketchup
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
Spices and herbs of your choice

Topping:
1 batch Faux Mashed Potatoes, from fresh cauliflower *
1 leek, sliced and sautéed in 1 tablespoon butter until tender, about 3 ounces
2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Brown the beef with the onion and carrots until the carrots are tender; drain the grease. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the meat and stir in well. Add the broth; bring to a boil. Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and herbs and cook to heat through. Adjust the seasonings to taste with spices, herbs, salt and pepper. Put in a large casserole dish.

Carefully spread the mashed cauliflower over the meat mixture; top with the leeks and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400º about 25 minutes or until the top is golden.

Makes 4-6 servings

* The carrot I used weighed 3 ounces before trimming and peeling. The cauliflower weighed about 2 pounds 6 ounces before trimming and 1 1/2 pounds after trimming.

Per 1/4 Recipe: 574 Calories; 38g Fat; 45g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 383 Calories; 25g Fat; 30g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #18

COLCANNON (IRELAND)
29 ounces fresh cauliflower, coarsely chopped, 1 large head
1 tablespoon heavy cream
Pinch nutmeg, optional

2 slices bacon, chopped
1 pound cabbage, coarsely shredded
1 small onion, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces

Chop the cauliflower into small pieces and place in a large covered casserole dish. Add 1 tablespoon water; cover and microwave on HIGH 5 minutes. Stir and cook another 5-7 minutes until very tender. Let stand covered 5 minutes; drain. Place in a food processor, with the chopping blade inserted, along with the heavy cream. Process until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the processor occasionally. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg, if desired.

In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Keeping the bacon fat in the skillet, add the cabbage and onion; cook and stir until the cabbage is very tender. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently stir the cabbage mixture into the cauliflower without over mixing.

Makes about 6 servings

Per Serving: 78 Calories; 2g Fat; 5g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish that is made with mashed potatoes and either cabbage or kale. I've never had the real thing so I'm not sure how authentic the bacon is. This is a hearty side dish and very tasty. I may try using leeks instead of onions next time.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #19

SPICY ASIAN CABBAGE (CHINESE)
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, slivered, 4 ounces
12 ounces coleslaw mix with carrots, about 6 cups
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Dash pepper
Pinch crushed red pepper

Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a wok or very large skillet. Sauté the onion for a few minutes until it starts to soften. Add the cabbage and stir-fry until it wilts but still has a little crunch to it. Add the remaining ingredients and toss to mix well.

Makes about 4 servings

Per Serving: 96 Calories; 7g Fat; 2g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Dietary Fiber; 5.5g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #20

FRIED "RICE" (CHINESE)
10-15 ounces fresh cauliflower, grated, about 1/2 head
2 cloves garlic, minced
Cooking oil, 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 egg, beaten
3 green onions, chopped
Dash pepper, optional

Heat the oil in a wok or large non-stick skillet on medium to medium-high. Add the cauliflower and garlic; stir-fry until the cauliflower is nearly tender, but not mushy. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil. Push the cauliflower to one side of the pan; pour in the beaten egg. Lightly scramble the egg briefly then mix into the cauliflower. Add the green onion and pepper, if using, and toss.

Makes 4-6 servings

Per 1/6 recipe: 86 Calories; 6g Fat; 3g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 recipe: 64 Calories; 5g Fat; 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #21

MEXICAN "RICE" (MEXICAN)
10 ounces fresh cauliflower, grated, 1/2 medium
2-3 tablespoons butter or oil or a combination
1/2 cup salsa
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon granular Splenda

In a very large skillet with a lid, sauté the onion in butter and/or oil until tender. Stir in the grated cauliflower, then the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Cover and simmer 10-12 minutes until the cauliflower is tender, but not mushy, stirring occasionally.

Makes 6 servings

Per Serving: 56 Calories; 4g Fat; 1g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #22

BOK CHOY WITH MUSHROOMS (CHINESE)
2 pounds bok choy
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
1 small onion, cut in thick slivers, 2 1/2 ounces
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oil
Salt, to taste

Chop off about an inch or two from the bottom of the head of bok choy to remove the stem end. Wash and dry the leaves and stalks. I arranged mine in a single layer on a clean old bath towel and rolled it up to absorb the water. Cut the stalks away from the leaves and keep separate from the leaves. Slice the stalks crosswise into bite-size pieces. Cut the leaves in half lengthwise then stack them on the cutting board. Slice the leaves into about 1/2-inch crosswise strips. You may need to do this in 2 or 3 batches. I rolled up the stack into a big "cigar" to make it easier to slice.

Heat the oil in a wok or very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bok choy stalks, the mushrooms, onion, garlic and broth. Stir-fry over high heat until most of the broth has evaporated and the bok choy is almost tender. Add the leaves and stir-fry another minute or so. Add a splash of soy sauce and adjust the seasoning with salt, if needed.

Makes about 4-6 servings

Per 1/4 Recipe: 86 Calories; 4g Fat; 6g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 57 Calories; 3g Fat; 4g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #23

CHUTATIP'S PEANUT SAUCE (THAI)
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons red Thai curry paste
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3/4 cup skinless unsalted peanuts, 3 ounces *
13.5 ounce can coconut milk
2 tablespoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 lime
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Grind the peanuts in a food processor until dry and crumbly but not quite to peanut butter consistency. Heat the oil in a large skillet; add the curry paste and fry on medium heat until fragrant, but do not let it burn. After about 30 seconds or so, whisk in the dry spices and fry briefly. Add all but the lime juice and salt and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil and cook a few minutes until slightly thickened. Season to taste with the lime juice and salt. Serve warm as a dipping sauce with Chicken Satay.

Makes about 2 cups

* I could only find lightly salted peanuts, but they worked fine and I still added the full teaspoon of salt. I ground my peanuts until they were like a very thick, coarse peanut butter, but Chutatip says they should be more dry and crumbly. My sauce is still good, but next time I will try to get it the way she suggests.

Per Tablespoon: 56 Calories; 5g Fat; 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs
Per 2 Tablespoons: 111 Calories; 11g Fat; 2g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 Cup: 223 Calories; 22g Fat; 4g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

EASY PEANUT SAUCE
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons coconut milk
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon red Thai curry paste
1/8 teaspoon chili paste
2 teaspoons granular Splenda

Whisk everything in a small bowl until smooth and creamy. Serve as a dipping sauce for chicken or other meats. The sauce has the best consistency when served at once but it can be warmed in the microwave if done gently and carefully to keep it from "breaking". You will have to whisk it well afterward. I recommend letting it come to room temperature after being chilled rather than warming it.

Makes about 6 tablespoons

Per Tablespoon: 44 Calories; 4g Fat; 2g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
Per 2 Tablespoons: 87 Calories; 7g Fat; 3g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #24

MEXICAN HOT SAUCE (MEXICAN)
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped (see update)
1/2 pound tomatoes, coarsely chopped, about 4 small roma or 2 medium
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon cilantro, or to taste, optional
1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped, optional

Put everything in a blender or food processor; puree until still somewhat chunky.

Makes about 1 1/4 cups salsa or 20 tablespoons

Per tablespoon: 3 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs
Per 2 tablespoons: 5 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs
Per batch: 55 Calories; 1g Fat; 2g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #25

RED ENCHILADA SAUCE (MEXICAN)
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
1 small onion, chopped fine, about 2 1/2 ounces
3 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid
16 ounces tomato sauce *
1/4 cup water

In a medium pot, cook the onion in oil until soft and slightly browned. Add the garlic, spices and Splenda. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomato sauce and water; bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Makes about 2 cups
Can be frozen

* America's Test Kitchen recommends Hunt's brand tomato sauce and that just happened to be what I had on hand. However, be sure to read the label because Hunt's sometimes has added sugar. The cans that I bought didn't.

Per 1/4 cup: 43 Calories; 3g Fat; 1g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1.5g Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/2 cup: 86 Calories; 5g Fat; 2g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs
Per 1 cup: 171 Calories; 10g Fat; 4g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 5.5g Dietary Fiber; 13.5g Net Carbs
Per 2 cups: 342 Calories; 21g Fat; 7g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 27g Net Carbs
Old 02-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Linda Sue, you rock!
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinearChaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Linda Sue, you rock!
She's out of control, I wish I had this much creativity and talent in the kitchen when it comes to tweeking stuff to make it low carb.
LinearChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Keema Matar (Ground Lamb and Peas in Yogurt) [adapted from Saveur magazine]

Serves 4-6

Note: I use chopped cauliflower instead of peas and it's delish!

Ingredients

6 cloves garlic
1 3 1/2" piece ginger, peeled (2" sliced, 1 1/2" julienned)
2 tsp plus 1 TBS garam masala
2 tsp turmeric
1/3 cup ghee
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 whole dried chilies de arbol
1 bay leaf
1 medium red onion, chopped
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
2 TBS tomato paste
1 1/2 lbs ground lamb or beef
3 medium plum tomatoes, cored and quartered lengthwise
1 cup whole milk yogurt
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed (I use chopped cauliflower, frozen or fresh)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Directions

1. Put garlic, sliced ginger, 2 tsp garam masala, turmeric, and 1/2 cup water into a blender and puree into a wet paste. Set spice paste aside.

2. Heat the ghee in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the coriander, cumin, chilies, and bay leaf; stir until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until lightly golden, 6-7 minutes. Add the reserved spice paste and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is caramelized, 3-4 minutes. Add lamb (or beef, if using) and cook, stirring and breaking it up into small pieces, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the plum tomatoes (I put the cauliflower in at this time) and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes more.

3. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the julienned ginger, remaining garam masala, yogurt, peas (I don't use), and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Djej Kdra Touimiya (Moroccan Chicken Stew) [Savuer Magazine]

Note: I usually add garlic to this.

Serves 4

1 3 ½ lb chicken cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
1 cup blanched whole almonds
¼ tsp turmeric or saffron
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp ground dried ginger
1 cinnamon stick
2 TBS butter
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced (I usually reduce to 1 small onion)
4 cups chicken broth
¼ cup chopped parsley
Kosher salt to taste
½ cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 TBS fresh lemon juice

1. Combine chicken, almonds, turmeric, pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and butter in a medium pot over medium heat; cook turning 3-4 minutes. Add ½ the onions and broth; boil. Reduce to medium low; cook, covered, for 30 minutes.

2. Add remaining onion and parsley to chicken; cover and cook until chicken is very tender, 25-30 minutes. Remove chicken, set aside. Bring sauce to a boil; cook until thickened, 13-15 minutes. Return chicken to pot along with salt and chickpeas; heat through. Drizzle with lemon juice and serve.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Freesia
Stats: finally .. . .
WOE: love myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Linda Sue, you rock!
Freesia is offline   Reply With Quote