Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Onion Rings Using Gram (chickpea) Flour

These are a little carby, but since they are made with Gram (chickpea flour) they are no where near carby, regular onion rings.

I made these last night and they were amazing!! The Gram flour has a really funky taste (like raw split peas) before you add the spices, but after that it is just amazing. I didn't measure the spices, just winged it until it tasted "right".

What I did:

1 large Onion
1/2 cup Gram Flour
1 large egg
Water (just added by the tbs full until it looked right)
Cumin*
Coriander*
Salt*
Pepper*
Any other spice of your choice*

*All spices are added to taste until the batter tastes right.

Mix all together to form like a Tempra batter. Dip the onion rings in the batter and fry until golden and crispy. There aren't as crispy as breaded onion rings, but they are very close!! Drain on paper towels and serve warm. Dipped in LC Ketchup they were great!!
__________________

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
BikerAng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Duvall, WA
Posts: 2,590
Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Yum, I have a big back of Gram flour in the freezer (really only use it to make soccas) but this sounds great! Thanks for the recipe!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
Yum, I have a big back of Gram flour in the freezer (really only use it to make soccas) but this sounds great! Thanks for the recipe!
And WHAT are soccas? Got a recipe for them you would like to share?

Thanks!!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
These are a little carby, but since they are made with Gram (chickpea flour) they are no where near carby, regular onion rings.

I made these last night and they were amazing!! The Gram flour has a really funky taste (like raw split peas) before you add the spices, but after that it is just amazing. I didn't measure the spices, just winged it until it tasted "right".

What I did:

1 large Onion
1/2 cup Gram Flour
1 large egg
Water (just added by the tbs full until it looked right)
Cumin*
Coriander*
Salt*
Pepper*
Any other spice of your choice*

*All spices are added to taste until the batter tastes right.

Mix all together to form like a Tempra batter. Dip the onion rings in the batter and fry until golden and crispy. There aren't as crispy as breaded onion rings, but they are very close!! Drain on paper towels and serve warm. Dipped in LC Ketchup they were great!!
Meant to say Tempura batter.....sorry!! :blush:
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,466
Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
And WHAT are soccas? Got a recipe for them you would like to share?

Thanks!!!
soccas are similar to flatbread, sorry no recipe here--hope that BikerAng can post one
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
BikerAng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Duvall, WA
Posts: 2,590
Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
What Nigel said, they are a cross between a pancake and flat bread and are very tasty. They are very delicate. Here is a thread with the recipe and a picture.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post12024687

I use my pizza stone and parchment to make these because the batter sticks to every pan I've used. I usually make a 1/2 batch.

Last edited by BikerAng; 02-16-2010 at 11:13 PM..
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!
 
TaDa!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,291
Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
ok ... just piping in ... love love love chickpea flour!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SCOTTSDALE.AZ
Posts: 4,054
Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
How many carbs are in chickpea flour, and how does it tast. I want to make these, Thanks, Beeb
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
OK, chickpea flour is carby, but you are using so little of it in this recipe that I would say it would be ok for a treat now and then. I threw the bag away and put my flour in a container for the freezer, sorry.....

Maybe someone can plug the recipe into ****** or such and come up with a carb count for the batter mixture?

It goes by number names: Garbanzo Flour, Gram flour, Chickpea Flour, Split pea Flour. Hope this helps, too.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
BikerAng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Duvall, WA
Posts: 2,590
Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I'm using Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo Bean flour and it's 18g carbs, 5g fiber for 1/4 cup.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
How many carbs are in chickpea flour, and how does it tast. I want to make these, Thanks, Beeb
The Gram flour has a really funky taste (like raw split peas) before you add the spices, but after that it is just amazing. I didn't measure the spices, just winged it until it tasted "right".

Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo Bean flour and it's 18g carbs, 5g fiber for 1/4 cup.

Hope this helps Julie! And thanks for the info, BikerAng!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Extreme western upper SC, USA
Posts: 142
Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
You can use the chickpea recipe for onion rings to dip any veggie...my former BF was Indian and he made excellent French fried veggies w this flour.
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.