Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Post your quiche recipes here! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/661188-post-your-quiche-recipes-here.html)

Dottie 02-11-2010 08:41 AM

Post your quiche recipes here!

So quick and easy to use leftovers, quiches are a low-carb staple :)
Here's one of my favorite breakfast (or anytime) ones:

Chorizo, Zucchini and Tomato Quiche

8oz beef chorizo (I used Andy Garcia brand, 570 cals;3g carbs, 1g fiber for 8oz)
3/4 cup diced zucchini (10cals, 2g carbs, 1g fiber)
1/4 cup diced onion (15 cals; 4g carbs; 1g fiber)
2 roma tomatoes, sliced (70 cals;14g carbs; 2g fiber)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (320 cals; 4g carbs)
5 egglands best large eggs (350 cals; 2g carbs)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a pie plate with cooking spray.
Cook chorizo over medium heat until it breaks apart, then add the zucchini and onion and saute until veggies are softened, about 3 minutes.
Place in the bottom of the pie plate, top with the sliced tomatoes and cheese.
Whisk eggs until well blended and add salt and pepper. (If you want to lessen the eggy taste, use 4 eggs and 1/4 cup half and half).
Pour over the ingredients in the pie pan and tap on counter to settle it in.
Bake for approx 25-35 minutes or until cooked through.
Let cool 30 minutes before cutting.

recipe: 1335 cals; 29g carbs; 5g fiber (per serving for 6 servings: 223 cals; 4.8g carbs; just under 1g fiber).

pocahontas 02-11-2010 03:17 PM

I have to get some chorizo! I havent had it in a while and I needz it NOW! :laugh:

Jennifer Eloff 02-17-2010 03:41 PM

SPINACH QUICHE
A delicious recipe given to me by my dear mother-in-law, Kay Eloff, who lives in Cape Town, South Africa. She is one of the most talented people I know. This quiche also makes a great vegetarian entrée, if you leave out the bacon! My husband ordinarily does not like cooked spinach, however, he raved about this.

Crust:
1/2 cup ground almonds (125 mL)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (75 mL)
2 tbsp soy OR spelt flour (25 mL)
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted (45 mL)
1 egg yolk
Filling:
6 bacon slices
1 whole large leek, cut thin diagonally
1, 10 oz package frozen spinach (300 g)
8 oz light cream cheese, softened (250 g)
1 cup sour cream (250 mL)
5 extra-large eggs, beaten
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (125 g)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (125 mL)

Crust: In medium bowl, combine ground almonds, grated Parmesan cheese, soy or spelt flour, melted butter and egg yolk. Press into 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 10 minutes.

Filling: In large skillet, cook bacon until just before it gets crisp. Set aside to drain on paper towels. In bacon fat, cook leeks over medium heat until soft. Squeeze liquid out of spinach and add to leeks along with bacon. In food processor or in bowl with electric mixer, process cream cheese. Add sour cream; process. Add eggs one at a time, while processing, until smooth. Stir in feta cheese and half Parmesan cheese. Pour mixture over vegetables and bacon; stir to combine well. Pour over prepared crust.

Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 50 minutes, or until set. Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over top.

Variation: The original recipe had 2, 10-oz packages of frozen spinach in it, as well as the whites only of 2 leeks. (7.0 g Carbs)

Helpful Hints: This vegetable quiche makes a nice lunch as well, served with a salad and fresh low-carb bread.

TaDa! 02-17-2010 05:21 PM

Wow!!!! Great thread Dottie!!!

Jennifer .. do you think the Spinach quiche (minus the bacon) would hold up as a crustless quiche, or does the cream cheese make it very soft? I have nut allergies in my house, so I do not make anything with nuts if I want to serve it to the family.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on it. Your MIL's quiche sounds unbelievable!!!!!!

Melody 02-17-2010 06:23 PM

You can also make quiche in muffin cups and store to eat during the week, they can be frozen. I did this with LindaSue's Sausage Quiche this week. :)

HerBoudoir 02-18-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaDa! (Post 13150585)
Wow!!!! Great thread Dottie!!!

Jennifer .. do you think the Spinach quiche (minus the bacon) would hold up as a crustless quiche, or does the cream cheese make it very soft? I have nut allergies in my house, so I do not make anything with nuts if I want to serve it to the family.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on it. Your MIL's quiche sounds unbelievable!!!!!!

I've done crustless quiches with cream cheese in them - never had a problem with them being too soft :-)

TaDa! 02-18-2010 04:24 PM

Thanks Sue :) I will be trying Jennifer's quiche next week, with some alterations for our tastes: no bacon, crustless and probably subbing yogurt for the sour cream. The feta, cream cheese and leeks have me sold on this one! lol!!!

Cynthia2005 02-18-2010 04:47 PM

I made "Moonchild's Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche" from LindaSue's website last night, and it was DEE-LISH :up:

I'm already planning variations on it - this is going to be a weekly meal. Maybe twice a week - ground beef & bacon, chicken & bacon, pork & bacon :clap:

dartstar1 02-18-2010 05:28 PM

I just made it and ust ATE it
Chilli Rellano Quiche
6 lg eggs
1 pint HWC
1 tsp salt
mix these all together well
then add
1.25 lb shredded jack, cheddar cheese,+
27 oz can of anaheim chilis or about 8-10 roasted Poblamo chilis that have been roasted and chopped in 1/2 " pieces
I filled 2 10 " pie plate or this would workin a 9 x13 baking dish
bake at 35 for 30-35 mins for pie pan or 45-55 mins in baking dish
check for brownness let it rest for 20 mins before serving
My sons first bite was OH GOD ! Better than the Rellanos you made the other night

Jennifer Eloff 02-19-2010 05:56 AM

LOL Cynthia, I take it you like bacon! Bacon rules! :laugh:

TaDa, thanks, you know this quiche of my MIL's is absolutely delicious. You are smart to spot that. Yes, you can make it without a crust.

I am going to post my nut-free bake mix for you, so that you can use that whenever you see goodies calling for almond flour.

Tweaker Geek 02-21-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynthia2005 (Post 13155167)
I made "Moonchild's Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche" from LindaSue's website last night, and it was DEE-LISH :up:

I'm already planning variations on it - this is going to be a weekly meal. Maybe twice a week - ground beef & bacon, chicken & bacon, pork & bacon :clap:

Cynthia - Maybe Bacon & Bacon?? or Canadian Bacon & Bacon?:hyst:

TaDa! 02-23-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff (Post 13156810)
TaDa, thanks, you know this quiche of my MIL's is absolutely delicious. You are smart to spot that. Yes, you can make it without a crust.

I am going to post my nut-free bake mix for you, so that you can use that whenever you see goodies calling for almond flour.

Thanks Jennifer!

We tried the quiche tonight with a few changes for different dietary stuff we are dealing with and it was amazing! I could imagine it is even much better with a crust!!! I will not clutter up this thread with variations, but if anyone would like to see the altered recipe it is here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...l#post13174906

Jennifer, please thank Kay for me!! This is a keeper .. oh and my nine year old got all bent out of shape when I proposed that my oldest dd (also vegetarian) and I have the remaining pieces tomorrow night when the rest have steak ... so I have to give the girls the remaining slices!!!! :cool:

:) Pauline

Cynthia2005 02-23-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 13165987)
Cynthia - Maybe Bacon & Bacon?? or Canadian Bacon & Bacon?:hyst:

Definitely! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Believe it or not - I made it two nights ago WITHOUT BACON :eek:

I used cooked chopped chicken, mushrooms, basil/garlic/salt/black pepper, and Swiss cheese. Awesomeness.

Now, if I'd had any bacon...

lbecker28 02-24-2010 10:04 AM

Our favorite is a crustless bacon, cheddar & chive. I usually use 6-8 eggs, 1/4 cup of sour cream, 4 slices of crispy bacon, about a cup of shredded cheddar, and fresh chives.

Jennifer Eloff 02-24-2010 05:20 PM

TaDa, I will remember to thank my MIL for you. She will feel so chuffed. :) If you would like the nut free bake mix, send me a pm.

IzzyTheTerrible 02-26-2010 08:18 AM

Feta and Spinach Quiche (I LOOOOOVE Feta)

http://giffomatic.com/blog/wp-conten...he-300x225.jpg

2 Tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
1 (6 ounce) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled
1 (8 ounce) package reduced fat shredded Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
9 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion in butter until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in spinach, mushrooms, feta and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie crust.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese, and bake an additional 30, until set in center. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.

dartstar1 02-26-2010 03:00 PM

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipe...ilirellano.JPG

Quote:

Originally Posted by dartstar1 (Post 13155352)
I just made it and ust ATE it
Chilli Rellano Quiche
6 lg eggs
1 pint HWC
1 tsp salt
mix these all together well
then add
1.25 lb shredded jack, cheddar cheese,+
27 oz can of anaheim chilis or about 8-10 roasted Poblamo chilis that have been roasted and chopped in 1/2 " pieces
I filled 2 10 " pie plate or this would workin a 9 x13 baking dish
bake at 325 for 30-35 mins for pie pan or 45-55 mins in baking dish
check for brownness let it rest for 20 mins before serving
My sons first bite was OH GOD ! Better than the Rellanos you made the other night

Ginaaaaaa 02-27-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IzzyTheTerrible (Post 13186139)
Feta and Spinach Quiche (I LOOOOOVE Feta)

http://giffomatic.com/blog/wp-conten...he-300x225.jpg

2 Tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
1 (6 ounce) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled
1 (8 ounce) package reduced fat shredded Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
9 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion in butter until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in spinach, mushrooms, feta and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie crust.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese, and bake an additional 30, until set in center. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.

I made this tonight and added sweet italian sausage, it was excellent!!!

IzzyTheTerrible 02-27-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 13191553)
I made this tonight and added sweet italian sausage, it was excellent!!!

Glad you liked it!! I bet the sausage made it even better :)

Dottie 04-07-2010 06:01 AM

Maybe my new favorite recipe!
You all know the hamburger, rotel, cream cheese recipe? Well, I decided to make it a quiche and it is so good!

1/2lb lean ground beef
4oz cream cheese
1 can ro-tel tomatoes w/green chilies
1 cup cheddar cheese
5 large eggs beaten w/1/2tsp salt and a pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350f.
Brown and drain the ground beef then add the tomatoes and cook until most of the liquid is gone, then stir in the cream cheese to melt. Let cool (important).
Spray a deep dish pie pan with cooking spray.
Mix everything together and pour into prepared pan.
Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the center is set. Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes before cutting, to allow it to finish cooking and hold together.

Entire recipe is: 1580 cals; 14g carbs; 3g fiber
Per serving (6 servings) : 263 cal; 2g carbs

Charski 04-07-2010 07:57 AM

This is one we love:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ss-quiche.html

walkingwoman 04-07-2010 05:05 PM

I've become a huge quiche fan and am now making a big quiche in a 9x13 pan, slicing it into 6 pieces and using Rubbermaid divided freezer containers to put a piece of quiche and some veggies(I stock up on Krogers brand when they go on sale for .77) on the other side for a breakfast or brunch meal. So yummy. Here's how I make mine and there is no exact science but in general:

6 eggs
About a cup of milk (you can use cream or half and half as well)
About 1/4 cup Ranch dressing
2 Tbls mustard
12 oz package of bacon, sliced and cooked
Frozen bag of spinach (12 oz) sauteed with frozen sliced peppers and fresh mushrooms quantity to your preference (Kroger has a yummy pepper onions
mix that goes on sale for .77 all the time!) use the bacon grease to sautee them and toss in some fresh garlic if you have that on hand as well. I like to use this recipe to use up any extra herbs or veggies I have on hand.
About 3 Tbls. chopped jalapenos(I use canned and freeze them in icecube trays for recipes)
6 oz. sliced/diced swiss cheese
4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar

Mix this all together and bake in a greased pan for 45 mimutes at 350. I reheat them from frozen with the lid removed but placed on top of the container for 5 minutes and they come out perfect

ravenrose 04-07-2010 09:00 PM

I did one this week, crustless, of chopped broccoli and smoked pepper gouda. The smokiness of the cheese would go well in many quiches.