Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Chocolate Sweetheart Cake (pic). Happy Valentine's Day!

CHOCOLATE SWEETHEART CAKE
This beautiful, layered cake from Splendid Low-Carb Desserts rises very high and tastes like the real thing. Make this cake for you and your sweetheart as a sweet ending to a perfect meal and a lovely day.

2 1/2 cups Low-Carb Bake Mix, (625 mL)
(see link below)
1 cup SPLENDA® Granular (259 mL)
1/2 cup powdered erythritol (or use xylitol, maltitol)
1/4 cup cocoa (50 mL)
2 tsp baking soda (10 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
3/4 cup sour cream (175 mL)
2/3 cup light-tasting olive oil (150 mL)
3 eggs
1/4 cup Da Vinci® Sugar Free (50 mL)
Chocolate, OR any low-carb pancake syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
Chocolate Frosting or my Better than Betty Crocker Frosting (below)

In large bowl with electric mixer or in food processor, combine Low-Carb Bake Mix, SPLENDA® Granular,powdered erythritol, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine well. Add sour cream, olive oil, eggs, Da Vinci® Sugar Free Syrup of choice and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed until well combined.

Spread batter evenly in two greased and “floured” 7-inch (18 cm) heart-shaped nonstick cake pans or 2, 8-inch (20 cm) cake pans. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 25 to 30 minutes. Test cake with knife in center of one cake after 25 minutes and check every 2 minutes thereafter, until knife comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire rack. Carefully run a knife around edges and lift underneath with a spatula. Invert cakes onto cake rack and cool. Turn one layer of cake on its topside, so that the two flat sides meet in the middle. Frost with Chocolate Frosting. If desired, place a heart-shaped patch of Crème Fraiche on top of cake over chocolate frosting and garnish with 1 or 2 red candied cherries cut into tiny pieces for color. Sprinkle with unsweetened grated chocolate. If desired, in center, spread Crème Fraiche, whipped cream or strawberry fruit spread or a mixture of the two. Garnish sides of the cake with pecan halves, if desired.

Nutritional analysis with frosting: 12 servings, 1 serving:
362.4 calories; 12.3 g protein; 29.1 g fat; 6.3 g carbs
16 servings, 1 serving:
271.8 calories; 9.2 g protein; 21.8 g fat; 4.8 g carbs

Helpful Hints: This cake is slightly modified from the one I have in my cookbook - it is now lower in carbs. If desired, make cupcakes instead with this cake batter.

Here is my low-carb bake mix: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-pic-incl.html

CHOCOLATE SAUCE AND FROSTING

1 cup sugarless chocolate chips (250 mL)
(sweetened)
1 can Thick Cream, (170 mL)
Carnation® (25% M.F.)
1 tbsp Da Vinci® Sugar Free (15 mL)
Kahuli Caffe or B-52 Syrup (optional)

In medium microwaveable bowl with lid, nuke chocolate and cream 2 minutes. Stir to combine well. Stir in Da Vinci® Sugar Free Kahuli Caffe or B-52 Syrup, if using. If using as a frosting, refrigerate or briefly freeze sauce, until it has a firmer consistency and spreads easily.

Helpful Hints: Use warm chocolate sauce for dipping fruits or as a topping for ice cream. This would make an awesome topping for a cheesecake or pour over a crust and then add a pie or cheesecake filling.

Use this thick sauce as a delicious, decadent drizzle over plain cakes or any other dessert that it would compliment.

Use this sauce as a frosting for brownies or cakes. It is also great for frosting cookies. Use this sauce as the basis of chocolate truffles as this sauce is similar to ganache (a smooth mixture of chocolate and cream).

Variation: French Silk Pie: For a really decadent, famous pie, double recipe and pour over a Short Crust, page 54 or Graham Cracker-like Crust, page 41, and let set 24 hours in refrigerator. For a firmer pie, drain cream first over a colander and add extra cream from another can to make up for lost volume. Yield: 10/12 servings. (350.2/291.9 calories, 6.5/5.4 g protein, 24.0/22.5 g fat, 4.4/3.7 g carbs)

Helpful Hint: The frosting is a little sparse for a double-layered cake, however, with a filling for the middle of the cake, such as custard or cream whipped with cocoa and sweetener, it is then substantial and able to frost the entire cake comfortably.

Better than Better Crocker Frosting (add some melted chocolate or cocoa and a little cream or water to get the right consistency)

½ cup Splenda Granular
4 tbsp powdered erythritol
4 tbsp whole milk powder (Publix, Costco or Hispanic section of Super Walmart)
1 tsp cornstarch (I had 2 before, but 1 tsp is sufficient)
2 tbsp sugar free syrup (mine was Estee Maple Flavored using Splenda)
3 tbsp butter, softened

In blender, combine Splenda Granular, powdered erythritol, whole milk powder and cornstarch. Add sugar free syrup and butter; blend until well combined.

Yield: ¾ cup delicious frosting. Double the recipe for 1½ cups frosting. The frosting is slightly maple-flavored and, in my opinion, is quite a bit nicer than some of the frostings for cakes and cupcakes that one buys in the containers with the soft plastic top (you know which ones I mean?).
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
Beautiful..just beautiful

Not only do I enjoy the recipes but your pictures are GREAT..I just want to reach into my monitor and grab that little cake

TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Diane. It is a normal-sized cake, but the photo angle makes it look smaller. Still, it's a real pretty photo - thx to my DH's talents.

Hey, Diane, I did post the Coconut Chocolate Protein squares I promised you I would. People didn't seem that interested, but I love 'em. So good. They are on screen 2. I forgot to put in the header that there is a pic of them.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #4

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
LOL Diane. It is a normal-sized cake, but the photo angle makes it look smaller. Still, it's a real pretty photo - thx to my DH's talents.

Hey, Diane, I did post the Coconut Chocolate Protein squares I promised you I would. People didn't seem that interested, but I love 'em. So good. They are on screen 2. I forgot to put in the header that there is a pic of them.
I must have missed that thread..off to find it.

I was going to ask, but didn't want to sound pushy

TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #5

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Compliments to your dh on his photography skills and to you, Jennifer, for creating such a beautiful work of art! And I'm sure it's just as delicious as it is gorgeous. Looks almost too good to eat......but of course I would anyway!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Jen, that looks wonderful. I only have 1 hear shaped pan. I wonder if I could cut the recipe in half and just make one layer. What do you think. Thanks, Jen, your recipes are always wonderful. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gluten-free option

Just a thought for folks who are gluten-sensitive. You could use my gluten-free bake mix - I would tend to use maybe 2 tbsp less bake mix. I'd also think it would taste a bit better with whole wheat pastry flour rather than oat flour in the bake mix, but I could be wrong. Whole wheat pastry flour is not too much more carby than oat flour. Whenever I made oat flour brownies in the past, I had problem with the taste, but it's been a while, so I'm not sure anymore. It could also have been that Splenda could not raise the sweetness level sufficiently.

GLUTEN-FREE LOW-CARB BAKE MIX

1 1/2 cups oat flour (certified gluten-free), OR soy flour (slightly lower carb)
1 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup sifted coconut flour (available from Netrition)
1 tsp Xanthan gum (available from Netrition)

Yield: 3 cups, 12 servings of 1/4 cup each
100.7 calories; 4.2 g protein; 5.3 g fat; 7.0 g net carbs
Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Definitely, Julie - you could cut the recipe in half, or you could make some cupcakes on the side and freeze them for another occasion, if it's too much. Either way.

Thanks, Dreamchaser - yep, I would eat it too, and I did!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
That looks beautiful!
I'll take the frosting.. and a spoon lol
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Absolutely, Dottie! The frosting alone is something one could eat by the spoonful for a nice treat. Skip the cake calories - go right to the frosting. I don't know why but this comment of yours made me giggle.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Oh, this is definitely on plan for Valentine's Day at my house!!!! I just hope I can make it look as pretty.

Thanks Jennifer!!
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing this recipe Jennifer!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
Jennifer-I will be making this cake!! -just wondering if you think a splenda quick pack can be used instead of the granular splenda.
Thanks for your great and yummy recipes!
Jeri
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #14

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
What a pretty cake, Jennifer.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sweeteners in this cake

Jeri, thanks for the vote of confidence. I have to be honest here. This cake was originally a little problematic in the area of sweetness. Originally I had used 1 1/4 cups Splenda Granular and 1/4 cup maltitol crystals (because using Splenda Granular alone in this recipe did not sweeten adequately). The reason I don't suggest it here is that I now know most people cannot tolerate maltitol very well. Although that is not a huge amount spread over a whole cake, but still, I think the erythritol will do the job nicely.

However, I'm guessing 1 1/4 cups Splenda Granular and 1/4 cup xylitol would also be perfect. A small taste test before baking is in order. People on this board are always subbing their own preferred sweeteners and that's fine, but one needs to do a little taste test sometimes if the recipe indicates other sweeteners. The cake will taste a lot less sweet after having baked. If the cake batter tastes really sweet, don't worry.

Splenda Quick Pack is great for some things - especially sweetening liquids, however, I have not always been pleased with the results in baking. Perhaps it is that the maltodextrin does indeed have some sweetening qualities besides the sucralose. So, I would suggest tasting the batter (although there is always a tiny risk of getting salmonella, so keep that in mind) and if you have a sugar alcohol on hand such as erythritol or xylitol - use that as well. If you don't, then use some Splenda packets - they are sweeter due to the dextrose in them.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 02-10-2010 at 04:08 PM..
Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SmileySue, hope this cake makes your Valentine's day extra special!

Thank you, Linda Sue!

Thank you, Angie!

It helps having a good photographer too. I struggle sometimes to make things look as good as they taste, as food styling is really not my forte. Desserts are easier to photograph though. Some of my regular food photographs are just awful. I mean how do you make meat balls look good in a photo? Apparently, I didn't have a clue. I once submitted a photo to a magazine I was writing for and although they liked the sound of the recipe, they simply could not print the photo! :blush:
Old 02-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Jen, this cake is simply beautiful, and I have every confidence it tastes as good as it looks.

Meatballs, yeah, those might be a tricky photographic challenge! LOL!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
Thanks, Jennifer. I have another question. Do you use any particular type of protein powder for your bake mixes? I'm just wondering if the brand or taste matters. I know some brands taste better than others when used for protein shakes. I don't know if the taste matters so much in baking, if the other ingredients cover up the protein powder taste. (I know we are aiming for the lowest carbs.)
Thanks again.
Jeri
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hpjrt
O.M.G. This recipe is FABULOUS. I just made this up to make cupcakes for our card group tonight. I have purchased "regular" cupcakes for them ... but I wanted some for me ... and for whoever might like to try them.

I made regular sized cupcakes ... and mini cupcakes [because the ones I bought were mini]

The cupcakes puffed up like "real" cupcakes ... and are truly delicious! The recipe made 12 regular cupcakes ... 12 mini cupcakes ... and 6 "muffin top" cupcakes!

I've got the frosting in the fridge ... and will frost shortly before everyone arrives.

Thank you so much Jennifer!

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

To Jeri: I use Pro Blend 55 that I get through Netrition. It needs to be a good-tasting whey protein, and even more importantly it needs to be a blend of concentrates and isolates and maybe hydrolysates. Concentrates only - not the right stuff.

To Char: Oh my, you made me laugh! Oh dear...

To Mary: Thank you so much for the great feedback, Mary. You are obviously great in the kitchen! It's a slightly ambitious project, but once one gets the bake mix mixed up and one has all the ingredients on hand, it's plain sailing. I'm amazed at how much the batter made. So happy it turned out well for you.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

And ... to add even more feedback. I had out both "my" mini cupcakes ... and the store bought ones last evening. I explained to everyone which was which ... but my non-lc-ing friends LOVED the low carb ones! At the end of the evening, there was 1 low carb mini cupcake left ... and 8 of the 12 store bought ones!

I have some in the fridge ... and some in the freezer.

And ... I'm not particularly talented in the kitchen ... but once I had gathered all the ingredients ... it was a "piece of cake" [pun intended]

The protein bars are next up.

Thanks again Jennifer!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #22

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
And ... to add even more feedback. I had out both "my" mini cupcakes ... and the store bought ones last evening. I explained to everyone which was which ... but my non-lc-ing friends LOVED the low carb ones! At the end of the evening, there was 1 low carb mini cupcake left ... and 8 of the 12 store bought ones!
Wow, excellent review! When non lowcarbers choose them over the high carb option, you KNOW they are awesome! (not that we had any doubt in the first place, considering that it's Jennifer's recipe)
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: THELOU
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 1998
CHEWY COCONUT CHOCOLATE COOKIES

JEN
Are the Coconut Chocolate bars the same recipe as the Chewy coconut chocolate cookies. I found the cookies but no sure if they were different recipes.
That cookie recipe seems to me to be the best recipe so far for my husband, I can't believe no one showed any interest.
THELOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/1/01
That cake is just lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
you could make some cupcakes on the side and freeze them for another occasion, if it's too much. Either way.
If you put a marble on one side of each of the compartments in your cupcake tin, it will push the paper liner in a bit and shape the cupcakes into little hearts.
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

My sweetheart cake was awesome!! It wasn't as pretty as Jennifer's, but it sure tasted good.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
That cake is just lovely!

If you put a marble on one side of each of the compartments in your cupcake tin, it will push the paper liner in a bit and shape the cupcakes into little hearts.
That's a great idea! I'll have to file that away for next February ... and must remember to purchase some marbles ...

Mary
Old 02-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
What a fabulous idea!!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
yum!!! This looks so good
KellBell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #29
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
1 can Thick Cream, (170 mL)
Carnation®

What is this? I have never seen this in any store around my area. The only thing I have seen is called Table Cream and it's in the Mexican Food section.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beeb, yes, I think so. Check out this thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ream-25-a.html

I'll be back to reply to all the lovely comments later. Thanks.