Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cannoli Pastries (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/660737-cannoli-pastries.html)

Beeb 02-08-2010 12:00 PM

Cannoli Pastries

This is a recipe I made up from one I found online and posted 6 years ago!! I thought I would re-post in case anyone was interested. There is a full thread on here with comments and tweeks, but I am not sure how to import it over to a new thread. It's Cannoli Pastries and was posted by Beeb (me :D) ENJOY!!

Cannoli Pastries

Shell:
1 3/4 cup Carbquik
2 Tbs sugar sub ( I used splenda)
1 ts grated lemon peel ( don't use, don't like)
2 Tbs cold butter
1 egg
6 Tbs marsala wine ( I did't use this and they still were great)
Vegetable oil for frying

1. Mix carbquik, sugar sub and lemon peel in medium bowl;(I don't like the citrus taste so I omit) cut in butter with 2 knives or pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir with fork to form a ball. Divide dough in half; shape into two 1 inch thick square pieces. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

2. Heat 1 and 1/2 inches of oil in large saucepan to 325F. Working with 1 piece of dough at a time, roll out on lightly floured surface to 1/16 inch thickness, (like a egg roll wrapper). Cut dough into 9 to 10 circles using glass or cut out.

3. Wrap each circle around a greased metal cannolli form or uncooked cannelloni pasta shell. Brush one edge of rectangle lightly with water; overlap with the other edge and press firmly to seal.

4. Fry, 2 or 3 cannolli pastry shells at a time, 1 to 1 and 1/2 minutes until light brown, turning once. Remove with tongs; drain on paper towels.

5. Cool until easy to handle. Carefully remove fried pastries from cannolli forms or pasta shells, (cheater than the cannolli forms and you can break the pasta to remove more easily). Cool completely. Repeat with remaining piece of dough.

Makes 18 to 20 pastry shells

Cannolli Stuffing:

2 pounds ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar sub
2 ts ground cinnamon
1/4 cup diced orange peel, minced ( I don't use this, don't like the taste)
1 ts grated lemon peel ( don't use this either, just don't like the citrus thing)
2 ounces sugar free chocolate, chopped to look like chips ( or use the sugar free chips, they are great)

1. Beat cheese in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add sugar sub and cinnamon; beat at high speed 3 minutes. Add orange and lemon (if using) to cheese mixture; mix will. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

2. Well ready to serve, spoon cheese filling into pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip, or use a zip lock bag and cut corner to form a hole. Pipe about 1/4 cup filling into each pastry shell. (do not fill shell ahead of time, they will become soggy)

3. Dip ends of pastries into chocolate chips. At this point you may want to powder some splenda to put on top of pastries, but this is not needed.

I have halved this recipe without a problem. ( Too many mean too much temptation!! These are wonderful, and a little time consuming, but well worth it. Don't have the carb count, but maybe someone will figure this out for us. Thanks!

Enjoy,
Beeb

Chickamomminy 02-08-2010 12:26 PM

Thanks so much for reposting this! I love cannoli, having grown up in Italian family, I miss them soooo much. I'd been eating cannoli cream, low carbed, but had no idea how to make a shell! My birthday is in April...and I know what I'm having in place of cake!!! *L* Maybe I don't want to know the carb count, as I think portion control is going to be an issue...

That Girl 02-08-2010 09:25 PM

can you post a picture for us? thanks

CarolynF 02-09-2010 05:05 AM

Beeb: I made these and they were very good..:)

Beeb 02-09-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 13111708)
can you post a picture for us? thanks

Sorry, just got back to LCing, and it's been years since I made these, but maybe someone will try them and post a picture for all of us? ;)

That Girl 02-09-2010 10:08 PM

that's ok, thanks! i can't wait to try this....

CreekWatcher 02-13-2010 11:20 AM

subscribing

jlatislaw 02-13-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 13114254)
Sorry, just got back to LCing, and it's been years since I made these, but maybe someone will try them and post a picture for all of us? ;)

I don't see what you did with the egg. :confused: I assume you added it to the Carbquik mix?

Beeb 02-14-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlatislaw (Post 13133084)
I don't see what you did with the egg. :confused: I assume you added it to the Carbquik mix?

OMG you are right!! So sorry!! The ingredients are added as listed with the egg before the butter, and then the butter is cut into the "dry ingredients and egg" to form a dough ball....thanks for pointing out this oversight to me!! :hugs:

Beeb 03-23-2011 01:59 PM

Bumping this because I just LOVE this recipe and thought with Easter/Spring holiday's coming it would be a good one! I omitted the part about where the egg fits into this recipe, then added the directions for this later, so please read all the posts.

ENJOY!!!

Barbo 03-23-2011 04:20 PM

Beeb

What did you use to replace the 6 tbs. marsala wine?

Beeb 03-23-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 14498410)
What did you use to replace the 6 tbs. marsala wine?

I

I didn't use anything, I believe. I felt the dough was just right without the added liquid, but I'm sure water will work just as well if needed. ;)

BLUTTO66 06-16-2011 08:41 PM

bump

Tilly 06-17-2011 03:39 AM

Oh my gosh, I was sort of looking for these, and sort of not. Don't need them, but BOY are they delish. I will now be required to try them, :rofl:
Thank you for sharing!