Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Coconut Chocolate Protein Squares

COCONUT CHOCOLATE PROTEIN SQUARES
Hmm, these are so good and good for you! Enjoy indulging every day without guilt. Great fiber! The coconut oil controls weight because it speeds metabolism and controls Candida (yeast).

1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp Da Vinci® Sugar Free Syrup
(I used Macadamia Nut), OR sugar free
Pancake syrup
1 tbsp butter
1 cup chocolate whey protein
2/3 cup powdered milk (I used whole milk powder)
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup powdered erythritol
1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut (divided)

In food processor, process coconut oil, whipping cream, Da Vinci® Sugar Free Syrup, butter, chocolate whey protein, powdered milk, cocoa and erythritol. Stir in 3/4 cup coconut. Press into lightly greased (spray bottom of pan lightly with Pam) 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle remaining coconut over top and press coconut into mixture with back of a soup or dessert spoon. Freeze until firm and then refrigerate

Helpful Hint: This is quite a fudge-like confection and I love the combo of coconut and chocolate. It was sweet enough for me, but YMMV. You could add the contents of a couple of Splenda packets, if desired – taste and see. It’s hard to believe that this confection is actually good for you. Don’t have an ounce of guilt over this one!

This confection could be cut into 8 bars – as in protein bars - and carried in a plastic baggie in your purse. It will be a little softer, but you could always mitigate that by adding a couple tablespoons more of the whey protein or leave out a tablespoon of the sugar free syrup.

Nutritional Analysis: 32 squares (8 x 4)
1 square: 74.4 calories; 3.4 g protein; 6.1 g fat; 1.5 g carbs
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
I am definitely going to try these! I have been making some carmel protein ones that my kids love, but need something chocolate that fits my tastes more. Haven't been able to find it yet LOL. I hope this is it! Sounds great
DBrown8614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jannis, your protein squares sound yummy. If you have the time, please share your recipe here. Thx.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I have just been making a variation of Ms. Wood's "whey not" ones.

2 eggs
3 scoops of vanilla body fortress protein powder
1 stick of butter
2 packets of Truvia
1/2 t. vanilla butternut extract
1/4 - 1/2 c. Davinci's Carmel SF syrup ( whatever it takes to get it to the right batter type consistency)

Bake 325 for 15 min.

My kids LOVE these frozen which brings out the flavor more
Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

P.S. Cooling effect - NONE!!

The only sweetener I used was powdered erythritol, but there is no cooling effect whatsoever that I could detect. Enjoy!

How interesting, Jannis. Will have to try that real soon. Thank you for taking the time to share your recipe with me.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Anytime My kids are so picky, it is hard to find something they really like LOL. With baseball season upon us again, I am looking for several types to make ahead to take with us. I have made almost all of the suggestions here on the board for them! lol
Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
Looks yummy!!!!

Thanks Jennifer

TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Wow, Jen, I'll have to give these a try! YUMMO!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you found 'em, Diane. Char, they are so good (at least I think so) - and great fiber too! I'm finishing the last couple of squares today. Hope all is well in sunny California!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Sunny, at the moment, but it's been raining on and off all day and it's only 49* at 1 pm! BRRRR that's cold for us!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Jennifer, this sounds really sinful! I'd love to make some tonight, but I don't have any powdered milk. Is there a sub for that?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
drool! these look divine!!!
KellBell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Also interested in the milk sub. Is there some nondairy alternative?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Milk Powder - skim or whole milk powder

I don't rightly know what you can sub. The milk powder (use skim or whole milk powder) is there to change the chocolate into a milk chocolate. The other alternative is simply leave it out altogether. Now you may have a less firm mixture. You may need to omit the DaVinci Syrup or use more whey protein to get the right consistency. If you leave out the milk powder, then use vanilla whey protein instead of the chocolate to make it less bitter.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
I don't rightly know what you can sub. The milk powder (use skim or whole milk powder) is there to change the chocolate into a milk chocolate. The other alternative is simply leave it out altogether. Now you may have a less firm mixture. You may need to omit the DaVinci Syrup or use more whey protein to get the right consistency. If you leave out the milk powder, then use vanilla whey protein instead of the chocolate to make it less bitter.
Thanks, Jennifer. Since I'm going to WalMart today, I'll pick up some whole milk powder.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Super, Pam! I hope you like them as much as I do.

Charski, that sounds unbelievably cool for your part of the world. Brrr! Probably makes a nice change though. It's been freezing here - well, only yesterday and last night. Today I'm hot again.

TXLoser (Diane), Kellbell - they are nice. Wish more folks would try the recipe. It does use a lot of whey though and I must admit that is expensive. I have to watch how much whey I use as I have limited amount I can order each year from Netrition and have sent to Florida. We only visit Florida once a year (or at least my DH does. I'm a homebody and stay home if I possibly can.)
Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mona
Stats: 380/311/175 46y.o. 5'10"
WOE: VSG 11/14/11 Moderate LC
Oh wow these look so yummy! Adding to shopping list: milk powder, coconut. Can't wait.
Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: otaku30
Jen,

Thanks for the incredibly tasty recipe.

I made a batch this weekend but they seemed a bit dry but worked fine after being compacted in the pan - will try adding a bit more cream or syrup next time. May have something to do with the protein brand I use.

Two thumbs up for the recipe though!
otaku30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Yum - those look really good, Jen! I'll be trying them sometime soon, have too many treats around right now to run to the kitchen and make them!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mona - hope you like them.

Otaku30 - Mine were so moist and that is the reason I kept some coconut for the top to soak up some of that. Just goes to show how different brands of ingredients affect things. Whenever something like that happens, I usually add a bit more of the moist/wet ingredients. Glad you liked it.

Tweaker - hope you make them sometime. I like 'em. Good stand-by sort of recipe.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: michelle204
Stats: 262/187/170
WOE: LowCarbing my way
Start Date: July 9, 2007
Thank you Jennifer.
Great recipe. I am feeling just awful today with the flu and needed something easy, delicious, comforting, and somewhat cheatfree. Your recipe hit the spot. It is just what the doc ordered.
Thanks again.
michelle204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Michelle! Hope you are feeling better today?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hpjrt
Okay ... these are to die for! Honestly!

I had to alter it a bit ... I didn't have coconut oil ... so I used butter. [I've got coconut oil on my grocery list for next time!] I also only had Vanilla Protein Powder ... so I added one unsweetened chocolate square to the mix.

The results are, however, WONDERFUL. It really satisfied my sweet tooth ... and while I suspect that I have to alter the carb count due to my alterations ... it's still sinfully tasty for something with quite low carbs!

Thanks again Jennifer for sharing ... this is a keeper!

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I made these the other day, and at firt talk about DRY. It was so dry & crubmly that the "paddle" of my food processor rose up above the mixture, I couldn't imagine at fist WHY. I took a table knife & stirred it, and manged to get the paddle back down, and started to add more Davinci syrup (probably added about a Tablsp when I realized what I had done wrong..... I had forgotten to add the cream!!! So I added that, and what do you know, it wasn't dry anymore!!! Mine wasn't really like fudge, but gooey/fudgey. Quite good!
My DH had been wanting a snack food, and came thru the kitchen & saw it. He ate some, and later saw me getting a piece and asked why I was eating HIS candy!
I made mine in an 8X8" pan. As I was spreading it, I took out a piece, then spread it out to fill in that space (and spread even again). So I ended up getting 26 squares. (5X5 + the 1)
I wondered if I could leave the pwd milk out, or cut back on it. I will try that next time (I'm more of a dark chocolate fan, than a milk choc anyway). I may add a little oat fiber to it to make up the difference in dry ing, and add fiber. ??
I'd like to leave the pwd milk out not only for a more dark choc, but to cut back on the carbs.

The type of protein pwd used will definitely make a difference in the outcome of the candy. I've learned not to use EAS brand for candies. I do have some, and use it in shakes (other added ingredients, not just the pwd & milk or water), but don't like it for candies!

It does use a LOT of protein pwd, and this almost kept me from making them. But I'm sure this won't be the last ones I make! Sure wish the EAS would work, as I can get it at Sam's much cheaper.

OH, and back to the carb reference above, your protein pwd must be a LOT less carby than mine, because I come up with a LOT more carbs per piece (even if I counted 32 pieces, which no way could I get 32 pieces from this and only eat one..... they'd be WAY too small!)
Oh, and I did cut back to 1/3 cup pwd milk, add 1/4 cup oat fiber to mine this time. (I'd almost forgotten.) I'll possibly add a little more next time and leave out the pwd milk, or cut it to 1/8cup. .

Thanks for the recipe Jenn!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Billie, how much oat fiber would you use to replace the entire amount of milk powder?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Sorry Soobee, I really haven't decided yet. I realized in the middle of writing that that I had already added 1/4 cup to the original (and only used 1/3 c pwd milk), and I did put that in my post. But I have been wondering how much more I could use and it be good, and beneficial.
I actually need to make another batch.
Seems like I ran it thru my MasterCook after I posted this, and found that carb wise it looked like I could use about 1/3 cup oat fiber. After that it didn't seem beneficial. That may not be enough dry ingredients tho.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Alternate recipe - NO MILK POWDER

Billie, thanks for trying the recipe. I understand that you want to reduce carbs. You can remove the milk powder.

Start with the dry ingredients in a bowl (except the coconut). I would reduce the cocoa to 1/3 cup and use 1/3 cup erythritol and make up for any lack of sweetness later with Splenda packets or more erythritol, if need be - or use whatever sweetener you prefer, but make sure it is sweet enough.

Then you add the wet ingredients slowly to the dry ingredients. I would begin by adding 1/4 cup of cream, 2 tbsp of melted butter (for a firmer texture) and as much coconut oil as is needed to make the mixture moist but not wet - might only be a tablespoon or two. Stir in the coconut. Press into the pan. Sprinkle remaining coconut over the top. DONE!

Oat fiber - although I'm not familiar with the product, the extra fiber might be over the top for some folks, as coconut is already very high in fiber. In addition, it may "cut" the sweetness of the protein bar quite a bit.I don't think oat fiber is necessary, but if you want the extra fiber then that is one way to get it.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 02-21-2010 at 10:06 AM..
Old 02-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mary, you're quite good at playing around in the kitchen - just goes to show this recipe is really quite flexible! Thanks for your wonderful feedback as per usual.

Play with it and come up with your own versions. I encourage that.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: darlingnikki
Stats: start 225/ now 132.2/ goal 125 ??? Height 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD and HCG (not at the same time)
I made these today subbed butter for coconut oil and omitted dry milk and it
is fabulous!!
Thank you will make this again.
darlingnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gnossienne
Start Date: April 2008
Just made these - and they taste more like a dessert than a protein bar! Soo good and fudgey and moist. I subbed xylitol for erythritol and it was plenty sweet enough.

I think I would personally cut back on the cocoa powder a bit simply because they were SO chocolately that I'm sure I'd still get lots of chocolate flavour but with fewer carbs, by cutting out a bit more.

Awesome recipe! Thank you Jennifer!
Gnossienne is offline   Reply With Quote