Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I have no idea, Gina - guess they would be firmer bars once cooled. Probably be fine.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: deon10
WOE: Primal
Oh no, the whey protein has nothing to do with sweetness. there are two reasons, one is that i try to keep the number of ingredients to a minimum (most protein powders have at least 4 ingredients in them)... I know like you said, some ingredients, even if not natural are safe, but I just don't like giving my body too many ingredients at the same time. I just wish erythritol had the exact properties of sugar (and i didn't have to add other stuff just to counter the cooling, the dryness, etc) and I would only use it !!!

The second reason is that whey protein is relatively expensive, especially if I look for one that is a unprocessed as possible.

So far, Inulin seems to be a good thing to add to Erythritol. And thanks for the PolyD advice.
deon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
I have no idea, Gina - guess they would be firmer bars once cooled. Probably be fine.
Thanks, maybe I will just wait until I pick up some olive oil.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Deon, you are a principled fella in the area of nutrition. I do agree that whey proteins are a bit expensive. Netrition has some that are a pretty good price.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

haha i am just trying to stay on the safe side

Jennifer, I see that in some recipes it is called for granular erythritol and in some other ones powdered. In which case to use which ? Isn't using the powdered version a win/win ?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have a whole lot of granulated erythritol that I need to use, but you're right the powdered erythritol is all you need.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I'm not an expert on this, but it seems to me that it would be the same difference as using regular powdered sugar and regular sugar. Some things use powdered like frosting and dusting baked goods, and regular sugar is used for baking with. I do know that the granular E doesn't work well with non baked items because it stays gritty and is harder to dissolve.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gina, with E, the granular version is not recommended in baking either because it has more of that cooling effect than powdered. That would be cool for ice cream and cold desserts though
Old 06-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
I find granular cheaper but if you find the same or similar price for the same WEIGHT I would go that route. (Volume is increased by powdering.) I buy granular and powder it myself in the magic bullet.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Thanks a lot Minnas

But since I don't have a grinder or a magic bullet, instead of buying them I will just use that money for powdered
Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh you gotta spring for a Magic Bullet. That thing is fantastic! I use it everyday.

But yeah, no blender, grinder, etc then go with powdered. You will need to adjust your recipes that call for granular to make up for it so just keep that in mind. 1/4 cup granular is not the same as 1/4 cup powdered.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Has anyone tried this leaving out the powdered milk and cocoa powder and using all protein powder? I JUST made these and meant to do just that and totally botched it. It's been a long day.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #73
Junior LCF Member

haha True !
I have a regular blender, will it work with that ?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deon10 View Post
haha True !
I have a regular blender, will it work with that ?
Yep.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #75
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
Has anyone tried this leaving out the powdered milk and cocoa powder and using all protein powder? I JUST made these and meant to do just that and totally botched it. It's been a long day.
I tweaked it some to drop the carbs and calories and it is still AMAZING, taste and texture wise.

I did most of the recipe as written but only used 1/4 cup coconut oil, NO dry milk at all, 1 extra TBS of Davincis, and made this in a 8 x 8 pan.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I tweaked it some to drop the carbs and calories and it is still AMAZING, taste and texture wise.

I did most of the recipe as written but only used 1/4 cup coconut oil, NO dry milk at all, 1 extra TBS of Davincis, and made this in a 8 x 8 pan.
thanks Beep! I had seen your tweaks and did use just the 1/4 cup CO. I've never used the milk powder (sorry!). I am going to make the next batch using almond milk in place of the cream and all protein powder and see what happens. I just would love to lose all the carbs from the cocoa powder. The recipe probably needs some but I'm going to leave it out and see how bad it is then I'll adjust the next batch accordingly. Then I need to not make them for a while cause they are just too addictive (little squares of fudgy goodness that they are!)
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #77
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I am bumping.....want to make this sometime this week!! Minnas...they are addictive aren't they?? Fudgy goodness......that is just my style. I haven't even tried any of the tweaks! How did the all protein powder go? When I made it the first time in my Ninja blender it seized up, so I just mixed it by hand and it worked fine. I don't think a blender is necessary. It could have been the oil got hard by the cream I added, or was it almond milk? I forget by now!! But boy are these good!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #78
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
i've got these in the fridge now! I didn't have shredded coconut or powdered milk but left everything else as is. just dumped it all in the ninja and bame, heaven (yes i already tasted it). yum!
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Oksue
Stats: 320/290/170
WOE: Healthy Eating
Start Date: 6/13/11
I made these last evening and they turned out SO good! I did add a little something extra that made me think I was eating a Almond Joy! I took 2 tiny packs of those chocolate Almonds and crushed them up and added to the mix at the end. I'll be sure to remember this recipe for the holidays. Thanks so much for such a wonderful recipe Jennifer.
Oksue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
bump
jbatchelor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksue View Post
I made these last evening and they turned out SO good! I did add a little something extra that made me think I was eating a Almond Joy! I took 2 tiny packs of those chocolate Almonds and crushed them up and added to the mix at the end. I'll be sure to remember this recipe for the holidays. Thanks so much for such a wonderful recipe Jennifer.
That sounds great!!! I love almond joys!!! I will have to try this when I make them next. I still have 2 leftover from the last batch I made. Btw, these freeze very well!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Oksue
Stats: 320/290/170
WOE: Healthy Eating
Start Date: 6/13/11
I also forgot to mention that I used my DaVinci Coconut syrup in mine.
It's nice to know they freeze good. That would be a safe way of not eating
them all at once!
Oksue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksue View Post
I also forgot to mention that I used my DaVinci Coconut syrup in mine.
It's nice to know they freeze good. That would be a safe way of not eating
them all at once!
Ooh, I just bought the coconut syrup. Mine is Torani but I still have it. Sounds great!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cookie34
Stats: 273/186/150
WOE: VSG/Low Carb
Start Date: 5/20/2012
These look good.. are they better than the coconut bark? I have tried that several times and it is bitter to me. Maybe it is my Splenda. I just bought the powdered erythritol and maybe that would taste better.
cookie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sassy_red
Stats: 230/192.2/145 - 5'8"
WOE: HCG/Simeon's Protocol
Start Date: 23 July '10 (R1P2) ~ 7 Sep '10 (R2P2)
I'm looking to make some of these and am a bit confused. In the original recipe did it call for powdered sweetner or granulated? I have granulated although I don't like it much unless I'm baking, and it doesn't seem we do that here. I'd probably substitute my almond flour for something, maybe the protein powder? And where do you guys find DeVinci syrups? Would any SF syrup suffice?

Yeah, I don't bake much with LC but wanted to really treat/reward myself this week and frankenfoods don't appeal to me (I know all that's going into these so don't consider them as such).

Thanks!!!

R1P2 * Pre-load: 218.2 lbs ~ LDW: 204.0 - 14.2lbs lost!!
R2P2 * Previous LDW: 204 ~ LDW: 192.2 - 11.8lbs lost!!

2010 Goal: 180 by Christmas!

Last edited by sassy_red; 08-16-2010 at 09:08 AM..
sassy_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #86
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_red View Post
I'm looking to make some of these and am a bit confused. In the original recipe did it call for powdered sweetner or granulated? I have granulated although I don't like it much unless I'm baking, and it doesn't seem we do that here. I'd probably substitute my almond flour for something, maybe the protein powder? And where do you guys find DeVinci syrups? Would any SF syrup suffice?

Yeah, I don't bake much with LC but wanted to really treat/reward myself this week and frankenfoods don't appeal to me (I know all that's going into these so don't consider them as such).

Thanks!!!
Any SF syrup will do. See my tweaks above, and I always use a combo of 2 or 3 sweeteners because I found that all splenda makes chocolate bitter to me. Powdered or granular actually makes no difference in this recipe but powdered is less sweet so more needs to be added. DaVinci syrups can be gotten on here from Netrition or in Home Goods, TJMax or Marshalls stores.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #87
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nony mouse
i just made these and they are fantastic!!! i made them just like beeb, no milk powder and 1/4 c coconut oil. YUMMO! i am going to eat this instead of coconut bark..this is so much better and really hits the spot for a super sweet treat!

jennifer? i think i love you.....((is that weird?))
nony mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nony Mouse - thanks - no it's not that weird although nowadays you never know . Usually when a woman says that to another woman with regard to having shared a nice recipe or something - it's just a warm fuzzy way of saying thanks and feeling nice towards that person. In actual fact it's probably tranference - what you really "love" is the recipe. See, now I'm sure you're really sorry you asked that question.

Remember folks if you don't stick to the original recipe, the recipe is net new and I can't guarantee the results. So far everyone is having fun and that is cool.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lizad777
Jen, which brand of choco whey PP do you use? Thanks I can't wait to try this.
lizad777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Sarah, I would not sub out the Protein Powder with the almond flour/meal. For one it would probably make it more carbs, but just would not work well in this recipe in My Humble Opinion. (By the way, this is not baking. This is candy, and is not baked. Course you may be talking of making sweets in general, still it is not baking. One reason I stated this tho, is in case you hadn't read the recipe well, and thought it was a cake or brownies, etc.) Anyway,,,
I do not use the milk either. I prefer a dark chocolate to a milk chocolate. And by leaving out the milk I get the added bonus of it being less carbs. I do add some oat fiber which helps make up the dry ing difference.
Back to the original, almond flour will work much better in something that is being baked usually. The protein powder in this case is a pretty essential ingredient to the recipe. Again just MHO.

Oh, and I rarely ever use granular Splenda anymore. I do have a huge stock of the no longer available Splenda Quick Packs, and do use that in some recipes, usually with a combo of other Sweeteners. I do use a sweetener combo in this recipe.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote