Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 06:01 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Gnossienne (hope I got that right - I don't have my glasses and the print is so small on this computer away from home - everything looks a little fuzzy this morning!) - thanks for that great feedback. It is more like dessert! You're right! That''s probably why I like it.

Darlingnikki - so pleased you liked the confection too!!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #32
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I'm so glad I came across this recipe! I need to get the ingredients to make it asap! I have been looking for something that I could have pre-workout and this might be just what I'm looking for! I go to the gym at 6 a.m. so I need something I can just grab fast! I can't work out on an empty stomach and most things I've tried make me queasy before the workout but I think these would be good!
mamagiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
These are sooo good. I didn't have chocolate pp, so I used vanilla and they are yummy. Very quick and easy to make.
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope you try them, Linda. Thanks, Jeri. Jeri has a pic of them on her blog.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #35
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
What a great and easy recipe, Jennifer! This is very forgiving if you don't have all the ingredients. I didn't have the powdered milk so I left it out. Didn't have the whipping cream so I subbed 3/4 half and half and 1/4 unsweetened almond milk and.............It still came out amazingly great! Thanks, Jennifer!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Beeb. You are correct - it's a flexible recipe. I like those kinds of recipes as people can then use the ingredients they have on hand. This way more people enjoy the recipe. You're a busy bee in the kitchen these days!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #37

Taken from the recipe: This confection could be cut into 8 bars – as in protein bars - and carried in a plastic baggie in your purse. It will be a little softer, but you could always mitigate that by adding a couple tablespoons more of the whey protein or leave out a tablespoon of the sugar free syrup.

Nutritional Analysis: 32 squares (8 x 4)
1 square: 74.4 calories; 3.4 g protein; 6.1 g fat; 1.5 g carbs

I'm very confused here, please help. Does this make 8 bars or 32 squares and are the squares 8 x 4? I can't imagine each square being 8 x 4?

I did mine in a 8 x 8 pan and cut 8 bars from it, but now I'm thinking that it is going to be way too many calories and carbs per bar. HELP!!!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
wow i can't believe i haven't saved these yet!
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: akatkando
Stats: 282/197.0/150
WOE: Gave up white flour/sugar later began Somersize
Start Date: Mod. Diet Jan 2009 began Somersizing mid-May 2009
Hi beeb,

In looking at the post: 8 x 4 = 32 one inch squares.

To get eight bars the size would be eight rectangular bars measuring 2 inches by 4 inches.

A one inch square = 1.5 carbs.

A bar measuring 2 x 4 inches would = 8 square inches so the carb content = 12 carbs (8 x 1.5 = 12).

I hope that helps! If my math from eons ago and my memory serves me correctly that calculation should be correct!

Cathy

Last edited by akatkando; 04-21-2010 at 09:07 AM..
akatkando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Beeb - I did mine in a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan - first I cut 8 bars and divided those again by making 4 horizontal cuts across the whole 9" of the pan. However, if you're doing it in an 8 x 8 inch pan, the squares will be less high and you'll get around 25.

To make bars, I simply cut the 8 bars and did not divide them further. What I meant is 8 x 4 = 32.

If you divide the recipe by 8 to get bars, here is the nutritional breakdown:

The powdered milk adds quite a number of carbs, so for those leaving it out - bonus!

This is the nutritional analysis of the original recipe with powdered milk:

8 bars, each
294.1 calories; 11.2 g protein (almost as much as 2 eggs!); 24.3 g fat (high and therefore satiating); 8.5 g carbs (ouch!) (leave out the powdered milk and the carbs will drop dramatically to 2.4 g carbs - will need to judge the firmness and add liquid or dry ingredients accordingly - choose whatever ingredient you wish to increase or decrease - very flexible recipe.)
Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I subbed oatfiber for the milk--the recipe was delicious and all the milk carbs went away!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, ouizoid. It didn't make it less sweet?

I must rework this recipe sometime without the powdered milk.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
nope! Dark rather than milk chocolate--but just as sweet--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Hi Beeb - I did mine in a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan - first I cut 8 bars and divided those again by making 4 horizontal cuts across the whole 9" of the pan. However, if you're doing it in an 8 x 8 inch pan, the squares will be less high and you'll get around 25.

To make bars, I simply cut the 8 bars and did not divide them further. What I meant is 8 x 4 = 32.

If you divide the recipe by 8 to get bars, here is the nutritional breakdown:

The powdered milk adds quite a number of carbs, so for those leaving it out - bonus!

This is the nutritional analysis of the original recipe with powdered milk:

8 bars, each
294.1 calories; 11.2 g protein (almost as much as 2 eggs!); 24.3 g fat (high and therefore satiating); 8.5 g carbs (ouch!) (leave out the powdered milk and the carbs will drop dramatically to 2.4 g carbs - will need to judge the firmness and add liquid or dry ingredients accordingly - choose whatever ingredient you wish to increase or decrease - very flexible recipe.)
Thanks Jennifer! Now it makes sense to me! I left out the powdered milk and I don't see anything wrong with the texture of these bars at all. I haven't made them with the powdered milk so I really don't have anything to go by, but I will say at a reduction of 6.1 carbs, I am just going to leave out the milk so I get a bigger bar. The calories are still a bit high to me, but if I make 16 bars I'm going to cut the calories, too and still get a nice size bar out of them.

I JUST LOVE THIS RECIPE!!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: didi
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2007
I made these again tonight but I used almond flour instead of protein powder. I liked them just as much. Also good with a tablespoon of cream cheese smeared on top.

I am trying to eat less protein and more fat because of my diabetes. Too much protein raises my BG too much. Fat doesn't do that. Especially because I like to eat this about an hour or two after supper.

I mix in one bowl, by hand. Chill for a short time. The loaf pan works great to make bars, but you can mold it however you like.

I love recipes with cocoa powder, it seems less expensive (I use Hershey's), and is very easy. This is a simple treat you can change to fit your mood!
Old 05-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Patricia Dowd
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2010
Jennifer these are wonderful! I did not have coconut oil so I used butter as the other person did. They taste so good. I am getting me some coconut oil with my next Netrition order. This is one of the best tasting dessert type items I have tried that is low carb. This is a keeper. I would highly recommend these to everyone. I have all your cookbooks I just have not had a chance to go through them all since I received them but I am going to make time because you do such wonderful things. I just had to post how good these are.
Patricia Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Patricia, and don't worry there is lots more good eating ahead of you. Sure low-carb baking has a learning curve - even I went through that. In addition, it's a little different in texture and taste and the batters are denser unless one uses techniques like folding in egg whites or whatever. In time you get used to your low-carb baked items and when you get a taste of the real sugar stuff again, you realize how much a lot of that stuff tastes like a sugar cube! Nah, I'm just kidding - the real stuff is very good but my point is you get to like your low-carb desserts too - and fat - not a problem!! We can be liberal in making decadent cheesecakes and confections like this one.

Thanks, Beeb - high praise from a great cook! Even if I say so myself it is a neat recipe. I'm going to have to make it again as I'm beginning to forget what it was like. Hey, Didi, amazing that it worked with almond flour. It seems one can really play with this recipe and never get it wrong. Just got to make sure one gets a good consistency.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #48

This is the most forgiving and flavorful recipe I have ever made.

I tweaked it some to drop the carbs and calories and it is still AMAZING, taste and texture wise.

I did most of the recipe as written but only used 1/4 cup coconut oil, NO dry milk at all, 1 extra TBS of Davincis, and made this in a 8 x 8 pan.

Here are the Net Facts with my changes:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving ( Made in a 8 x8 pan and cut to make 24 servings)

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 51
Calories 61

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 5.72g 9%
Saturated Fat 4.499g 22%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.175g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.249g
Cholesterol 8mg 3%
Sodium 7mg 0%
Potassium 37mg
Total Carbohydrate 6.14g 2%
Dietary Fiber 5.2g 21%
Sugars 0.32g
Protein 1.46g

Net Carbs: .94g Less than 1 carb!

Last edited by Beeb; 06-08-2010 at 09:25 AM..
Old 06-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wonderful!!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Wonderful!!
YES YOU ARE!!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Funny girl!! Can you tell my DH that?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #52

Quote:
Funny girl!! Can you tell my DH that?
Either the man is blind or............you get my drift here!

Just kidding, Jennifer! When he forgets just show him my post!
Old 06-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #53
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I have to say that I made these as posted in the first post and thought they were amazing!! I am more excited to try the tweaks. I had to go out and buy the milk powder so now that I see it is more of an optional thing, I am very pleased. Thanks to the tweakers on here!!!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #54
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
I just made these using Coconut Davinci Syrup and no milk powder (I didn't have any!) and I used a small scoop to portion out 31 little balls. They are in the fridge chilling now and I will be snacking on them in the coming days!

Thanks for the recipe Jennifer!
5cats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL You guys really don't want to use milk powder. I can understand though - cuts carbs. The only reason I used it is I'm a fan of milk chocolate (sweeter!) vs very dark chocolate for the most part.

I'm going to have to try it without the milk powder too. Curious me!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: deon10
WOE: Primal
Jennifer thank you !!

This looks amazing and I cant wait to try it... When I started looking for a sugar substitute and found that erythritol was the one I wanted to start using, I got turned off because of the cooling effect and the recrystallization !

But I am looking at the picture of your dessert and it looks all fudgy and moist... and no cooling effect! What do you think help with that? with the dryness? the cooling effect ?

The only thing that I want to switch in your recipe is the Da Vinci syrup... I am just not a sucralose (Splenda) fan (health-wise)... What effect would that have ? And what do u recommend switching it with ? What if I omit the whey protein too ?

I know its a lot of questions but u seem to have a lot of experience with baking and seemed like you would know

Anybody else who might have some tips for me ur welcome to share

Last edited by deon10; 06-20-2010 at 11:41 PM..
deon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Deon - yes, erythritol has a cooling effect, however, one can mitigate that if one uses less of the product, or if there are other sweeteners to balance it out. Also, it depends on the recipe...and the amount and types of ingredients used. The fudgy, sticky, gooey aspect of the recipe is in part given by the whey protein powder. The sweeteners used will not impart anything in that regard. The fat content is what keeps the recipe moist. You can use water in place of the DaVinci Syrup and some flavored extract to equal the amount. The amount of sweetener in it will probably not be missed.

I know I can't change your mind re Splenda, but feel this is as good a place as any to explain how I feel about Splenda safety.

You may want to consider us guinea pigs (my family) - 18 years of high consumption of Splenda, sometimes in excess of 500 cups per year. These days I combine Splenda and erythritol (a sugar alcohol which does not cause gastric distress and has no effect on blood sugar) for the synergy they provide and don't bake quite as much. With artificial sweeteners, 1 + 1 = 3. However, it is possible to substitute your own preferred sweetener for the Splenda. Another thing to consider is that Splenda was approved in Canada, a country with a national health care system. There was nothing in it for them to approve a product that could cause major health problems and expense in the Canadian population; therefore, it is safe to say that they did not see it as a health threat. Also, at the time Splenda was not much of a threat to the billion dollar sugar and aspartame businesses. It was only when the FDA approved Splenda (8 years later) in the USA that all sorts of dire consequences were predicted for those consuming this new sweetener. I wonder why? Until approval in the States, there was no hue and cry at all. Without a doubt, our family and each of us as individuals has consumed way more Splenda than anyone else would ever consume in their entire life times, and we have not noticed any of the dire predictions of all of those websites branding it as a poison. In fact, I do not need to wonder what our health would be like had we all instead consumed 500 cups of sugar per year for the last 18 years. At the very least, we would be obese and unhealthy and quite possibly not even around to talk to you. My sons are very slender, in fact, my youngest son has the miniscule amount of body fat you would find in a top athlete. He is however, wonderfully muscular and healthy, as is my eldest son who is taller at 6 foot and also very strong.

It would be better if no sweeteners were required, but the fact is we are used to "sweet" and most of us need an occasional treat. It's a case of each person needing to find the sweetener that they like and feel comfortable with (I'm still waiting for something better than Splenda to come along). I personally could never abide by the taste of Stevia but that is just me and I don't have a problem with it or necessarily buy into any of the extreme scare stories out there. It can, however, be dangerous for someone who is insulin dependent, however, it is safe for everyone else. See, Stevia increases insulin sensitivity. Sometimes it is a case of "choosing one's own sweet poison". Sadly. Naturally occuring substances are often poisons as well.

Not consuming any food or drink will probably protect you from harmful substances, but then you'd be dead within 2-3 days from thirst anyway - however consuming just gasoline will kill you much quicker. Somewhere in the middle of those two extremes lies "reason" ... and that's a really good place to live! Ian's (my DH) Dad, as a young boy, was pretty much already "given up for dead" from a massive bacterial infection (in the late 1920's) and lay dying in a remote part of the world (at the southern tip of Africa) when their family Doctor (at that time) suggested that "Sulfur drugs", the first antibiotics, just newly available in Germany, had been noted to cure that particular infection. These man-made (not natural!) Sulfur drugs were then flown from Germany to South Africa, in the antique planes of those days, and were successfully used to save his life. He went on to become a Doctor in the remotest regions of Southern Africa, in turn saving many people from dying from Typhus and other deadly diseases. In fact, my family would not exist if it were not for those man-made and not natural sulfur drugs that saved oupa's (grandfather's) life.

Let's get real ... to take a "hard and fast" stance against everything "not natural" is also just plain dumb! Yes, there are dangerous natural and man-made substances, and there are good natural and man-made substances ... so let's use reason to find the good ones, and reason to avoid the bad ones, but very importantly, let's try and avoid hysteria for determining either - that really serves nobody well at all!

There have been plenty of scare stories about Stevia too. See this excerpt from a Canadian newspaper:

"As consumers become ever more health-conscious, they continue to look for lower-calorie beverages and importantly all-natural beverages,” said Stacy Reichert, president of PepsiCo Beverages Canada.

Coca-Cola Canada is planning to introduce beverages made with Truvia in this country, but public-affairs manager Leigha Cotton wouldn't disclose a timeline.

But not everyone is enthusiastic about stevia moving into the mainstream. Although it has a long history of use, there are fears that introducing stevia and its extracts in a wide variety of products could lead to potential health problems.

For instance, some studies have suggested it can lead to male reproductive problems, interfere with metabolism and cause genetic mutations.

“There are a lot of risks and none of the big players seem to care,” said Curtis Eckhert, professor in the environmental health sciences and molecular toxicology department at the University of California at Los Angeles.

Dr. Eckhert helped prepare a report last year for the U.S.-based Center for Science in the Public Interest that urged more testing on stevia extracts before it is widely introduced into the population. "

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 06-21-2010 at 06:24 AM..
Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: deon10
WOE: Primal
Jennifer !

Thanks a lot for such a response... I have certainly learned a lot from it and it made me rethink my position about sucralose and doing more research. The reason I don't care about not using splenda, is that I have no problem with using stevia, and I personally consider it safer too. I am comfortable using Splenda from time to time, and believe that even the people who are experiencing some allergic reactions to it (I know people who do) are doing so because they use it all the time and their body is not, in the first place, tolerant of it. But I have been using Stevia for quite some time now and I have had no problem with it. Plus, most of the recipes I make call for chocolate, and Stevia blends so well with chocolate. But basically, anything in excess is not good !

About the whey protein, what do u think I can replace it with and still keep the moisture and fudginess ? Maybe polydextrose or inulin ?

Again Jennifer, thanks a lot for a very informative and interestin post, I will keep coming back to it and reevaluate my position
deon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Deon, it's not really my intention to convert you to Splenda - just really defending my own reasons for using it. If you enjoy Stevia, then stick with that. Again, moderation in everything is best, however, I cannot say we practiced moderation with Splenda. My advice is to practice moderation with any of these controversial products.

Polydextrose gives me a terribly sore tummy, but it would probably supply some sweetness, some moisture and possibly some fudgy properties. Still used in such a large quantity, it would pose a big problem for some people. I don't recommend it and to be honest, I don't think it will be the same recipe. Why are you reticent to use whey protein powder? You can find some whey protein powders sweetened with Stevia or you could use unsweetened whey and some Stevia.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I find that I can use the liquid Splenda with no problems, but the granular Slplenda causes me stomach distress, I think because of the additives it has in it.

I haven't yet tried this recipe but I am making the maple walnut bars today, do you think I could replace the olive oil with butter?
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote