Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
How many carbs are in one cup of granular erythritol?

Anybody know??
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
All the "carbs" in erythritol are sugar alcohols, so they have a net count of 0. Some people count a portion of the carbs in other sugar alcohols, like malitol, but erythritol does not affect your blood sugar the way some others do.

Here's a quote from Netrition's site about it that might be helpful to you:

Erythritol, a polyol (sugar alcohol), is a good-tasting bulk sweetener which is suitable for a variety of reduced- calorie and sugar-free foods. It has been part of the human diet for thousands of years due to its presence in fruits and other foods such as pears, melons and grapes, as well as foods such as mushrooms and fermentation-derived foods such as wine, soy sauce and cheese. Erythritol has a high digestive tolerance (unlike Maltitol's laxative effects), is safe for people with diabetes, and does not promote tooth decay.

Erythritol, because it is such a small molecule behaves differently from all other polyols in the way it passes through the human digestive system, and therefore has a unique metabolic profile. The low molecular weight allows more than 90% of the ingested erythritol to be rapidly absorbed from the small intestine. It is not metabolized and is excreted unchanged in the urine.

Since 1990, erythritol has been commercially produced and added to foods and beverages to provide sweetness, as well as enhance their taste and texture.

Erythritol is a white crystalline powder that is odorless, with a clean sweet taste that is similar to sucrose. It is approximately 70% as sweet as sucrose and flows easily due to its non-hygroscopic character. Like other polyols, erythritol does not promote tooth decay and is safe for people with diabetes. However, erythritol’s caloric value of 0.2 calories per gram and high digestive tolerance distinguishes it from some other polyols. It has approximately 7 to 13% the calories of other polyols and 5% the calories of sucrose. Because erythritol is rapidly absorbed in the small intestine and rapidly eliminated by the body within 24 hours, laxative side effects sometimes associated with excessive polyol consumption are unlikely when consuming erythritol containing foods.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I guess I was wrong. I checked my foodsmart program, and I had always counted almost 10 grams per cup. Guess that means some of my treats were actually lower in carbs. I need to correct my database.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I'm doing some research and found these interesting and reassuring facts on the safety of erythritol:

Safety

The safety of erythritol as a food ingredient under conditions of its intended use is substantiated by a number of human and animal safety studies, including short and long term feeding, multi-generation reproduction and teratology studies. The WHO/FAO Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) reviewed the safety of erythritol in 1999 and established an ADI of "not specified," the highest safety category possible.

Erythritol has been used in Japan since 1990 in candies, chocolates, soft drinks, chewing gums, yogurts, fillings, cookie coatings, jellies, jams and sugar substitutes. Petitions have been submitted to additional governmental agencies throughout the world to expand the use of erythritol. It has already been approved for use in foods in more than 50 countries, including Canada, US, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, and the European Union.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
Wow, those are "glowing" reports! Thank you for finding this information Laurie and Jen!
DBrown8614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #6

Theredhead and Jennifer Eloff: Thank you for the excellent information. Just what I was looking for!

I saw a erythritol product online that showed the carbohydrate count as being 4 total carbohydrates per a 4 gram serving (1 teaspoon, I believe) with all 4 grams of that being sugar alcohols (0 net carbs).

I know that some people choose to count the total number of carbs in sugar alcohols rather than the net number of carbs.

If you count total, I was calculating it to be 200 carbs per cup and I knew that couldn't be right!

I wasn't sure of the specifics about the way that it affects the blood sugar and how it differs from other sugar alcohols in that regard.

After reading your information, I can feel good about continuing to use it in my baking recipes. Thanks so much!!

If only it didn't have that pesky little 'cooling effect' trait, it would be totally perfect! But that's OK, it's still an AWESOME natural sweetener in my book and I will keep using it!

I love to use NuNaturals stevia in combination with erythritol in my sweet baked goods to help cut down on the cooling effect (I bake very rarely). And sometimes figuring out the right amount of ery + stevia to use to substitute for splenda can be very tricky.......but it's really worth it when you finally get it right IMOH!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I'm so glad this info helped! I love E and use it frequently. I don't like it by itself, either, so I always mix it with Sweetzfree, about half and half for the sweetness needed.
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Erythtitol is as close to magic as a food gets!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
erythritol is also a naturally occurring substance (the chemical compound isn't man made so our bodies know how to use it). It's naturally found in small amounts in pears, melons, grapes and mushrooms.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
Erythtitol is as close to magic as a food gets!
LOL, I agree!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
erythritol is also a naturally occurring substance (the chemical compound isn't man made so our bodies know how to use it). It's naturally found in small amounts in pears, melons, grapes and mushrooms.
I know Ang! That's why I started using it. No more Splenda for me!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #12

Yesterday my cheesecake turned out perfectly with a full cup of erythritol and not one bit of a cooling effect.

Yes, ery + nunaturals stevia = perfection in my book!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mona
Stats: 380/311/175 46y.o. 5'10"
WOE: VSG 11/14/11 Moderate LC
The only problem with E. is that it's so expensive.
Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
Yesterday my cheesecake turned out perfectly with a full cup of erythritol and not one bit of a cooling effect.

Yes, ery + nunaturals stevia = perfection in my book!
So did you use all erythritol in your cheesecake, or a combo of E and stevia? Would you mind sharing your recipe? I have a lot of cream cheese I bought on sale and need to do something with it.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona View Post
The only problem with E. is that it's so expensive.
Yes, it is expensive but I feel it's worth it. I buy mine in a 5 pound bag so it's cheaper that way.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona View Post
So did you use all erythritol in your cheesecake, or a combo of E and stevia? Would you mind sharing your recipe? I have a lot of cream cheese I bought on sale and need to do something with it.
Hi Mona. I didn't use all erythritol. I used one cup of ery and 1/8 teaspoon of nunaturals stevia.

I used LindaSue's recipe for Mom's Cheese Pie.

It took 3 times making it until I got it right. At first it was much too sweet and much too creamy. I had to adjust the sweeteners and the baking time each time. Here's the thread about it: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post13109316
Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

I agree Dreamchaser - Erythritol and stevia combined is magical!

E is expensive, but I think pretty comparable to sucralose - maybe a few dollars more for the same amount of sweetening power.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I agree Dreamchaser - Erythritol and stevia combined is magical!

E is expensive, but I think pretty comparable to sucralose - maybe a few dollars more for the same amount of sweetening power.
Yes, I was just thinking that I actually don't think it really costs much more than Splenda. I haven't bought Splenda in such a long time that I'm not really sure. I'll have to compare costs some time just for the heck of it.

And of course when you think about how Splenda is made (processed with disgusting chemicals) it's just no comparison whatsoever to the goodness of natural sweeteners! IMHO
Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I'm right there with you Dreamchaser!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #20

Bumping for Mona.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Dreamchaser. Mmmm I just love cheesecake. I can't wait to try this. It'll have to wait till my next day off.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #22

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I can't believe no one has come in saying erytyritol is the work of the devil and will kill us all. There is NOTHING that isn't contentious on this board! LOL

Being the devil's advocate, it's made from corn, and we all know how deeply the corn industry cares about our well-being... but so far it looks ok despite that.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
It's the devil!! Lol...it does cause me tummy issues, despite all of the research. I must be an anomaly!
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

The erythritol I buy is made from sugar (not sure if that's any better than corn, LOL!). I don't get any stomach issues from xylitol or erythritol, but some folks can't eat either at all.

Manufacture of Erythritol
Erythritol is the ideal sweetener for everyone. It’s made from sugar which is then liquefied and a natural fermentation ingredient is added. The solution is purified by ultrafiltration and is then crystallized resulting in erythritol with a purity of over 99.5%. The manufacture of erythritol complies with FDA regulations.

ETA: some xylitol is manufactured from corn, the one I buy is made from birch trees.

Last edited by BikerAng; 02-10-2010 at 12:31 PM..
Old 02-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #25

The erythritol that I buy is also made from sugar.