Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,429
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Pork Rind Pizza Crust

So I've tried quite a few different pizza crusts while on my LC journey, and they all seem to fall short. I've tried the mostly cream cheese ones, the cups upon cups of mozzarella ones, and the infamous cauliflower pizza crust. They were ok, but all seemed to be lacking for my personal taste. I couldn't pick any of them up and with all that cheese, why put cheese on the pizza? To me it took away from the cheesy, gooey pizza topping experience. I came up with my favorite pizza crust yet made out of pork rinds and canned parmesan cheese. I realize parmesan is still cheese, but to me it doesn't taste like cheese in the same sense, and I use canned parmesan as kind of a freebie food. My can says 0 carbs and I haven't had any ill effects from using it as such so I will continue to do so. Anyways, on to the recipe! By the way, this crust you are truly able to cut and hold in your hand and it gets crispy and crusty. And best of all, it's simple to make and freezable. I made a bunch of individual crusts (which is the recipe I am going to post) and separated them with wax paper and put them in a zip loc bag and froze them so I can grab and go.

1/4 cup ground pork rinds
1/4 cup canned parmesan cheese
1 egg
1tsp Italian seasoning of choice (I used Mrs. Dash Tomatoe Basil Garlic)

Pre-heat oven to 350*. Spray or oil a tin pie pan. In a bowl mix the egg, pork rinds, parmesan cheese, and seasoning well. Pour mixture into pan and spread to the sides from the middle by pressing outwards with your hands. If the mixture sticks to your hands wet them with water and it will spread smoothly. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and add whatever desired toppings and put the pizza back under the broiler until toppings are hot and cheese is melted.



I also made cheese sticks with the same recipe, only using a square baking pan instead. I added about 1/4 cup mozzarella into the mixture before baking, and then melted some more on top until brown, and used tomato sauce for dipping.


Here is a plate I made with pepperoni pizza, supreme pizza, and cheese "bread"


The counts for the whole crust are:
Cal:347, Fat:22.9g, Carb:0.4g
__________________
My LC Blog-Low Carbin' Made Simple
Michelle
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
KellBell1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,398
Gallery: KellBell1234
Yum! I must try this. I like the cheese and eggs crust alot, but it is alot of cheese by the time you top it....this looks like it might be a nice alternative
KellBell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,619
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
This sounds great. I might give it a try the next time I make real pizza for the guys. I sometimes set aside a few of the toppings to make a low carb pizza for myself. I put so much stuff on their pizza that they'll never miss the little bit that I'd use for mine. I've also got a nice stash of crushed pork rind crumbs in the freezer.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,429
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Yeah LS, I didn't notice before but went on your site today and you had one that involved pork rinds but it had cream cheese and I think mozzerella as well. It looked great, no doubt about that. I just stall if I eat cream cheese and try to limit my cheese as well so I was looking for something simple and not involving all the soft cheese. They are so easy to make I am going to make some more to freeze this week so i have a stash ready for all times Lol.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Tyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 15,338
Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
MsWoods, you're becoming a regular recipe wizard! i love it. I will def be trying this..maybe this weekend! yum!
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Tyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 15,338
Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
is this a "personal pan" pizza or am i supposed to share
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Linny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NW PA
Posts: 4,801
Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Sounds like a good recipe to try ~ thank you !!
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,429
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
This is a personal chantyl. I used a disposable tin pie crust pan to cook it in. You could probably quadruple the recipe for a regular size pizza.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Tyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 15,338
Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
This is a personal chantyl. I used a disposable tin pie crust pan to cook it in. You could probably quadruple the recipe for a regular size pizza.
personal is PERFECT! thanks hun!
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,304
Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Sounds great!! Thanks for sharing!!
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
AngieCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,293
Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
I was waiting for this!! Thank you MsWoods! Sounds quick and easy, right up my alley. Can't wait to make a pizza
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,429
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I love quick and easy with few ingredients, but it's still super tasty and a great palette for pizza toppings.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
AngieCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,293
Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
Definitely! And a pizza aint a pizza unless the crust is crispy! LOL
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!
 
SmileySue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,237
Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
MsWoods....You are a cooking dynamo lately!!!! Thank you for sharing your creations!!

I'm not a big fan of pork rinds, but this crust recipe does sound good. I'm going to give it a go.
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
sillykimmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Evergreen state
Posts: 2,748
Gallery: sillykimmie
Stats: 223/192/140
WOE: Atkins induction!!!
Start Date: Re restart date 8-14-12
Is this induction friendly? It looks fabulous!
sillykimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Determinedtolose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,132
Gallery: Determinedtolose
Looks good! On freezing the crusts, did you bake them before hand, then freeze them?
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,429
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Yes it is induction friendly.

Yes I baked them before freezing them.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Determinedtolose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,132
Gallery: Determinedtolose
Thanks!!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #19
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 24,524
Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I love this idea!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!
 
Lillianna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 2,869
Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every day!
MUST - TRY - THIS... This recipe makes me want to tell my supervisor I'm sick so I can leave work and make this
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
Amish Wit
 
wcwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oh, HERE I am!!
Posts: 23,565
Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
I was so excited to see this because I'm looking for ways to consume more fat, then I remembered...I can't have cheese!
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,429
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcwendy View Post
I was so excited to see this because I'm looking for ways to consume more fat, then I remembered...I can't have cheese!
I'm sure you could make it with pork rinds only, just use 1/2 cup instead of 1/4th.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #23
Amish Wit
 
wcwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oh, HERE I am!!
Posts: 23,565
Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I'm sure you could make it with pork rinds only, just use 1/2 cup instead of 1/4th.
That might work, but I forgot about the eggs. :blush: I haven't been doing this no food diet for long, and I keep forgetting things! (No gluten, no eggs, no dairy...I've got the sugar and low-carb part down since I've been doing lowcarb for over a year...but the other parts... ) Thanks, though!
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member
 
Chickamomminy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 172
Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
Wanted to thank you so much for this recipe. My hc family loves those silly little Ellio's pizzas (the rectangular ones that come frozen in a box). I doubled your crust recipe, baked it in a loaf pan, and made a look-alike for myself! Too filling to eat all at one sitting, and I certainly don't feel deprived! Thanks again!!!
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,429
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Glad you like it!
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member
 
Wine2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 915
Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
If you get tired of pork rinds, you can also crumble extra dry tofu (drained well) into a skillet of oil. Brown until crispy and golden. Remove, let cool. Use instead of pork rinds or any other breadcrumbs. Do NOT use silken tofu, only extra firm. Works good in place of anything really!!
Wine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,674
Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
What are you using to get the pork rinds grouned up??
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,429
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Well, a food processor works best, but I don't have one! I just put them in a large zip loc bag and use a can of like, pumpkin, to crush and roll it over them to make them fine.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,674
Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Sounds good. I am going to try this out this week.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,674
Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
So I've tried quite a few different pizza crusts while on my LC journey, and they all seem to fall short. I've tried the mostly cream cheese ones, the cups upon cups of mozzarella ones, and the infamous cauliflower pizza crust. They were ok, but all seemed to be lacking for my personal taste. I couldn't pick any of them up and with all that cheese, why put cheese on the pizza? To me it took away from the cheesy, gooey pizza topping experience. I came up with my favorite pizza crust yet made out of pork rinds and canned parmesan cheese. I realize parmesan is still cheese, but to me it doesn't taste like cheese in the same sense, and I use canned parmesan as kind of a freebie food. My can says 0 carbs and I haven't had any ill effects from using it as such so I will continue to do so. Anyways, on to the recipe! By the way, this crust you are truly able to cut and hold in your hand and it gets crispy and crusty. And best of all, it's simple to make and freezable. I made a bunch of individual crusts (which is the recipe I am going to post) and separated them with wax paper and put them in a zip loc bag and froze them so I can grab and go.

1/4 cup ground pork rinds
1/4 cup canned parmesan cheese
1 egg
1tsp Italian seasoning of choice (I used Mrs. Dash Tomatoe Basil Garlic)

Pre-heat oven to 350*. Spray or oil a tin pie pan. In a bowl mix the egg, pork rinds, parmesan cheese, and seasoning well. Pour mixture into pan and spread to the sides from the middle by pressing outwards with your hands. If the mixture sticks to your hands wet them with water and it will spread smoothly. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and add whatever desired toppings and put the pizza back under the broiler until toppings are hot and cheese is melted.



I also made cheese sticks with the same recipe, only using a square baking pan instead. I added about 1/4 cup mozzarella into the mixture before baking, and then melted some more on top until brown, and used tomato sauce for dipping.


Here is a plate I made with pepperoni pizza, supreme pizza, and cheese "bread"


The counts for the whole crust are:
Cal:347, Fat:22.9g, Carb:0.4g
Awesome!!! I just had it with eggplant grated cheese and sauce. Its the first pizza I tasted that felt like I was eating real pizza.

Thank you!!!
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.