Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: manitobaskyline
Almond Flour/Erythritol..weight loss

Hi everyone...

I was wondering if you could all help me with 2 questions:

I am doing low carb because I have diabetes and I'm very much over weight.
The recipes I see with nut flours and flax meal....are these recipes suitable for weight loss? I want to try them all and although I'm sure they will help in keeping my blood sugar low, I am also wanting to lose weight.

Second questions...all of the artificial sugars. The only product I have tried is Splenda with so so results. What are other good ones? I see Erythritol a lot. Are the other products safe? Do they make you sick?

Any help with this is very much appreciated.
Thanks
manitobaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Since Low carbing is about counting carbs, not necessarily calories, many diabetics have found that the nut flours, etc. do not increase the sugar levels. However, like any food, if a person eats too much of it, then it is not a good thing.

I think E is good and I think it's a very individual thing with SA's..The only kinds that don't bother my digestion is E and Splenda.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
I am using erythritol, Stevia extract powder (see Lauren's site) and Agave nectar (see Elanaspantry.com) lately with Sweet Perfection and small amounts of Splenda. I am very sensitive, digestion-wise to sugar alcohols. So far the agave, when used in small amounts does not jack my BG. Dee.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: souzac
Stats: 183/176/145
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: March 23, 2011
You might want to do a little research on the Agave. After injesting a whole bottle of it (a bit at a time OVER time); I learned that it is high fructose Corn Syrup = the poison devil.
souzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
manitobaskyline, are you are starting the low carb way of eating or more experienced with it?

I think when you are starting, you should be plain for awhile. Eat like people think low carbers eat: meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, cheese, a few green vegetables. This will get you over the cravings pretty well and give you a solid base of weightloss. You will be proud of your control.

When you get tired of that, perhaps 2-3 months?, start adding in some things like almond flour.

You might "get away with it" earlier on and still lose weight, but I think it is good for your long term success not to just move right into low carb baking to substitute for the things that made you fat.

You can make some great low carb desserts and baked goods, but they are, for the most part VERY high calorie, and should only be eaten when we have the portion control discipline down pat. Making an almond flour cake and eating all of it isn't much better than having "real" cake.

Eventually you will probably need to cut calories too, but not at first.

Erythritol should be ok, but I still don't think you should me emphasizing sweets for awhile.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I am currently on induction again. All those delicious low-carb baked goods can lead you astray. I've been on maintenance for 11 years, and every so often I need a tune-up.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I am also diabetic and have used a Splenda/Erythritol combo in my coffee every day for a year with no side effects.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
First Welcome!!!

I use all of these things in moderation (on going weightloss) and still lose lbs. and control my blood glucose.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oyvey
Stats: 217/160
WOE: paleo, sprinkling of fermented dairy
Start Date: 5/08
Yes, they are suitable for weight loss (I ate them during mine, and still eat them now, though not all that often).

But, as others suggest, it's smart to introduce them later, after you get "in the swing" of lc. The reason why there's a couple-week stricter period in Atkins, South Beach, and lots of other lc plans is not so much that one HAS to eat at these VLC levels (though some find that they do), but more so that we can shift our brains around to focusing our eating on meats, vegetables, eggs, dairy (for some), etc. Then, adding some other foods can help make this a permanent change, rather than causing reaction/binging/regain.
oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote