Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Way to many eggs...help (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/657703-way-many-eggs-help.html)

bekki1 01-21-2010 06:54 PM

Way to many eggs...help

So my chickens are laying over time. I have 10 girls and lately I have been getting 8-10 eggs daily. I trade 1 dozen eggs for 1 lb organic beef from a neighbor once a week. But that leaves me with roughly 44 eggs weekly. What would you do with all these eggs? I know...quiche, fried, boiled (but not fresh eggs, they dont peel) but I want somthng else, something fun, something amazing. Can you help me?:aprayer:

GirlPimp 01-21-2010 07:04 PM

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Jody's Pumpkin Bake
takes 5 eggs I could (and do at times) make this twice a week easily :love:

Charski 01-21-2010 07:45 PM

This uses 3 eggs:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...-included.html

This uses 6 eggs:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...emon-cake.html

This one, 4:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post12760962

Here are a few more ideas!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...eggs-eggs.html

Kisal 01-21-2010 07:49 PM

Baked egg custard? (Sorry ... lost the link for the recipe I use. :( )

Lemon Curd?

Kevinpa's Pavolva

Scotch Eggs?

Eggs Jeanette?

ravenrose 01-21-2010 08:11 PM

the "microwave danish" type thing works well. 2 eggs and some amount of softened cream cheese... you could use less since your point is to use the eggs up... either sugar free syrup of your choice or flavoring and sweetener. microwave till solidish, but not too done. A very flexible recipe.

wcwendy 01-21-2010 09:04 PM

If those are organic, free-range eggs, you can sell them for around $4/dozen. THAT would be amazing to me! :D

Meringue? Meringue cookies? Lowcarb lemon meringue pie?

Jake 01-21-2010 09:10 PM

Lot's of great ideas here.

Re: boiling fresh eggs.

I get fresh eggs, sometimes laid the same day. I bring the water to a boil, lower the eggs into the boiling water, add a tablespoon of baking soda (careful, that can foam over), then cover and boil for 14 minutes. The second that 14 minutes is up, I drain the water out of the pan cover the eggs with ice, then add water, just enough to cover the ice. Then add a good wack of salt from the salt container, and whirl it around.

The salted ice bath cools the eggs almost immediately. Peeling the eggs is a breeze - they almost fall out of the shell, no matter how fresh they are.

I picked this method up here on LCF some time ago and never looked back.

bekki1 01-21-2010 10:02 PM

Thanks Jeremy. I will try this method tomorrow. If roaming the yard and coming and going in thier house free range and feeding them non medicated food and vegetables and grains organic...yes they are. I guess I could post on craigs list? Might get loneys though.

See my picture<------. I have to close my slider because that black and white speckled one in front thinks she needs to be carried around. She follows me thru the house like a puppy. And snuggles up to my lab like she belongs.

wcwendy 01-21-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bekki1 (Post 13031121)
Thanks Jeremy. I will try this method tomorrow. If roaming the yard and coming and going in thier house free range and feeding them non medicated food and vegetables and grains organic...yes they are. I guess I could post on craigs list? Might get loneys though.

See my picture<------. I have to close my slider because that black and white speckled one in front thinks she needs to be carried around. She follows me thru the house like a puppy. And snuggles up to my lab like she belongs.

That's awesome! If I lived near you, I'd see if you wanted to sell some to me for my family (and I'm not much of a loon! :laugh:). I was thinking of craigslist--not sure how many loons you'd get vs. health-conscious people. It's too bad that eggs can't be frozen, you know?

bekki1 01-21-2010 10:12 PM

My ladies were born June 1 2009, so I think they will be producing for a long time. I know I have to many but they were so darn cute and they are beautiful now. Plus my lab adores them and my cats leave them alone. I will try posting on craigs list with email and see what I get. I can meet them somewhere until I get to know them.

wcwendy 01-21-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bekki1 (Post 13031158)
My ladies were born June 1 2009, so I think they will be producing for a long time. I know I have to many but they were so darn cute and they are beautiful now. Plus my lab adores them and my cats leave them alone. I will try posting on craigs list with email and see what I get. I can meet them somewhere until I get to know them.

That sounds like a smart idea!

Jake 01-21-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Good luck! The guy I get them from posted a sign at the local Dollar General. This is a really small town though, so we knew each other anyway, I just didn't know he had chickens, lol.

Some of the eggs are green, some white, some speckled and bluish. I actually googled it at first to make sure that was alright. :laugh:

Queenie324 01-22-2010 05:55 AM

Lots of Oopsies ...........freeze them.

Pork Chop 01-24-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

I guess I could post on craigs list? Might get loneys though.

I would give craig's list a try. I've had good luck getting rid of stuff I no longer need and I've bought two cars from people who ran ads. Just make sure you keep correspondence by email until you're sure you have someone serious about buying.

sistertzu 01-24-2010 06:09 PM

Get organic certified and sell to a bakery or open a lc one.

susume 01-24-2010 08:52 PM

WOW, you are so lucky to have those fresh eggs, Sue

LJB 01-24-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 13031014)

I get fresh eggs, sometimes laid the same day. I bring the water to a boil, lower the eggs into the boiling water, add a tablespoon of baking soda (careful, that can foam over), then cover and boil for 14 minutes. The second that 14 minutes is up, I drain the water out of the pan cover the eggs with ice, then add water, just enough to cover the ice. Then add a good wack of salt from the salt container, and whirl it around.

The salted ice bath cools the eggs almost immediately. Peeling the eggs is a breeze - they almost fall out of the shell, no matter how fresh they are.

I like that idea! :high5:

Tecnokitty 01-24-2010 09:06 PM

It is too bad you are so far away, I would love to buy eggs from you! Lol, maybe you could start a mail order egg company and sell to us folks on lcf :)

souzac 01-25-2010 12:36 AM

See that recipe for no cake, no brownie using whey protein thread above yours? Well, it calls for lots of eggs!

dartstar1 01-25-2010 08:57 AM

I don't know if any weather conditions up there will ever affect they laying habits you might ask at your feed store
BUT you could break them , beat them , then put in an airtight container in freezer YOU can also seperate them into yolks and whites and freeze some
I know when we had chickens the first heat bothered them , the rain bothered them and when it turned cold , and they would not lay for a couple of weeks

Chickamomminy 01-25-2010 09:37 AM

Buy some coconut flour and the cook book "Cooking with Coconut Flour" by Bruce Fife. Coconut flour recipes suck up an AMAZING amount of eggs...so much so that I seldom use it, because I go through my eggs way too fast when I do!

bekki1 01-25-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 13031014)

:hugs::hugs::clap::clap::high5::high5::hugs::hugs: :clap::clap::high5::high5:
Thank you so much. I took 10 eggs from the coup tonight. I followed the directions to a t, and they all peeled beautiful. The eggs pratically fell out the the shells. If you were closer I would drive over and hug you ( and bring you some eggs too.) Thanks again!!!

Jake 01-25-2010 08:05 PM

Yay! I'm glad it worked well for you!

missymagoo12 01-25-2010 09:27 PM

soup kitchens might be able to use some eggs- sue

wcwendy 01-25-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bekki1 (Post 13048106)
:hugs::hugs::clap::clap::high5::high5::hugs::hugs: :clap::clap::high5::high5:
Thank you so much. I took 10 eggs from the coup tonight. I followed the directions to a t, and they all peeled beautiful. The eggs pratically fell out the the shells.

:cool: Good to know!

Caralyn 01-26-2010 07:11 AM

if you crack the eggs, can you freeze them? perhaps separate the whites from the yolks?