Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Microwave Dry Cereal - Cereal Lovers?

MICROWAVE DRY CEREAL
Here is an idea for those who were used to eating cereal every morning for breakfast in their higher carb days of yester year.

2 tbsp sliced almonds
2 tbsp ground almonds
2 tbsp organic golden flax meal
1 tbsp vanilla whey protein
Pinch No Salt
Pepper sprinkle
2 tbsp water

In small cereal bowl, combine sliced almonds, ground almonds, flax meal, vanilla whey protein, salt and pepper. Stir in water. Spray dinner plate with nonstick cooking spray. Spread mixture out in large circle on plate. Microwave 3 minutes on high (maybe this could go longer for a crispier result? I have not tested it more than twice – both times at 3 min.). Break into irregular, small pieces. Serve with low carb milk (See Carolyn’s low-carb milk on LCF’s) or alternative and Splenda Granular to taste. Add a few frozen blueberries, if desired, or chopped pecans or whatever. It’s an easy recipe to play with.

Note: This recipe will probably be a bit “weird” for many people’s tastes and I was a bit reticent to post it for that reason. However, for those who don’t mind weird, this has good fiber and is a healthy brekkie for a change of pace. My low-carb granola recipes would probably be nicer, but this is so quick and convenient. One doesn’t always have granola on hand. Golden flax meal has a better flavor than the other kind in my opinion.

Yield: 1 serving, 214.o calories; 12.0 g protein; 16.6 g fat, 2.1 g carbs
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This would also be good atop plain yogurt sweetened with Splenda Granular (1 cup yogurt = 4 g carbs according to the Go Diet authors (low-carb), because the lactose is turned into lactic acid by the bacteria). This way one gets the fiber and Omega-3's that are so necessary for health on any diet, plus the yogurt which keeps yeast at bay. Candida is a very real problem for some susceptible people and will prevent one from losing weight until it is addressed. That is explained in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Jennifer..I'm trying this, but I am going to bake it at 300 and see what happens. I might double it and leave off the salt/pepper..add some cinnamon and splenda.. Let ya know, friend.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, that's idea, Carolyn! Hmm, cinnamon and Splenda sounds even nicer. Let me know if it turns out okay with the oven method and how long you need to bake it. Yes, I would probably even quadruple this recipe if going to the trouble of heating the oven.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Cinnamon is always great! I add it and some davincis to my hot cereal (and sometimes some ginger, depending on the mood). Thanks for the recipe!!
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #6

I will.. Dh used to love his granola before he figured out how many carbs it had in it..
Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straightscoop
Stats: 135/115/105 5'4"
WOE: Protein Power/Mostly Vegetarian/Volumetrics
Dry TVP crumbles make a decent cold cereal substitute as well, with Splenda/cinnamon for flavoring. I used to add that to a little bit of nuts and unsweetened coconut and have with unsweetened almond breeze. Most low-carb cold cereal recipes are very high in calories though--so you have to be careful if you are someone who can't eat unlimited calories and still lose. Plain puffed rice or wheat only has only 7- 9 carbs and 50 calories per cup and if you are in maintenance, may be acceptable on occasion.

Hot cereals are easier to get low-carb and more reasonable calorie-wise.
straightscoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
The problem with the TVP for many folks is the soy. Especially if you have or are concerned about thyroid issues.

I used to use a LOT of that stuff, thought it was great, til my DSister was dx'd with hypothyroidism, and upon further research, I halted eating ALL soy unless it's fermented, as much as possible!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
MICROWAVE DRY CEREAL
Here is an idea for those who were used to eating cereal every morning for breakfast in their higher carb days of yester year.

2 tbsp sliced almonds
2 tbsp ground almonds
2 tbsp organic golden flax meal
1 tbsp vanilla whey protein
Pinch No Salt
Pepper sprinkle
2 tbsp water

In small cereal bowl, combine sliced almonds, ground almonds, flax meal, vanilla whey protein, salt and pepper. Stir in water. Spray dinner plate with nonstick cooking spray. Spread mixture out in large circle on plate. Microwave 3 minutes on high (maybe this could go longer for a crispier result? I have not tested it more than twice – both times at 3 min.). Break into irregular, small pieces. Serve with low carb milk (See Carolyn’s low-carb milk on LCF’s) or alternative and Splenda Granular to taste. Add a few frozen blueberries, if desired, or chopped pecans or whatever. It’s an easy recipe to play with.

Note: This recipe will probably be a bit “weird” for many people’s tastes and I was a bit reticent to post it for that reason. However, for those who don’t mind weird, this has good fiber and is a healthy brekkie for a change of pace. My low-carb granola recipes would probably be nicer, but this is so quick and convenient. One doesn’t always have granola on hand. Golden flax meal has a better flavor than the other kind in my opinion.

Yield: 1 serving, 214.o calories; 12.0 g protein; 16.6 g fat, 2.1 g carbs
Hi Jen!!

I am so trying this if my throat will take it in the morning...this recipe looks SO GOOD!

So tired of the protein/egg breakfast now..lol
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #10

Okay, I just made a triple batch and baked it in the oven..I added some cinnamon and some splenda and should have added some salt, which I will do next time.

The consistency should be like peanut butter. I spread it out on a piece of parchment on a cookie sheet..Baked it at 300 for about 8 minutes, then I took a spatula and broke it up so more sides of the cereal would be exposed to the heat to dry out better. I continued to bake for about 5 minutes and then broke more up and tossed it around.
I did this about 2-3 more times until it became toasty looking. Then I shut the oven off for 5 minutes, left it in and then took it out.

Very crunchy and tasty..

Old 01-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Boy that sounds good! Thanks, Jen, and thanks, Carolyn for experimenting further!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katlj
Stats: 142/134/btw. 127-125 5'7"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart (again *sigh*): 8/4/09
This sounds good! When I get around to trying it, I may try omitting the pepper and subbing DaVincis for the water to make it more like sweet granola.

Thanks ladies!
katlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn's Method - tripled batch

Gee, Carolyn, thanks. You make it sound so nice. I think you've just improved this humble little recipe. I'm going to give your version a try today. Cinnamon, Splenda and salt need to be added. I was being a bit lazy by using the microwave, but if time is a factor, it is always an alternative.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
This sounds really good! I am going give the oven method a try.
KellBell1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
Jennifer I don't know why you were hesitant to share this one, its very good!

My tweaks, subbed plain Whey PP and vanilla davinci's for the water, left out pepper. Mixed, nuked (3min 40 seconds)...stopping at 1 minute intervals to score... put in container, came to work, poured on top of my yo-cheese- Fantastic.

I hope to make a bigger batch and have a real bowl of cereal with my So-delicious coconut milk!
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quadrupling the recipe for Carolyn's oven method

Thanks, Natasha. I was worried just because it's a bit weird and not being a cereal eficionado exactly, I wasn't sure if what I had was worth sharing. :blush:

This morning I quadrupled the recipe and Pam-ed a nonstick baking pan (9 x 13) and spread the mixture out to fill the entire pan. I baked 30 minutes and it was still soft in the middle (I have a gas oven). So, I attempted to break it up, but some of it stuck really hard to the pan and it was an excercise in frustration to get it loose, but I managed (okay, to be honest, some of it landed in the sink and some on the floor!) and then put it in the oven again for another 10 minutes until the cereal flakes were really brown and toasty looking. The result was crispy cereal flakes and great with milk and frozen blueberries - sweetened with Splenda pkts. I would have used it atop yogurt but I haven't got any in the house. It's so expensive here too, that I really should start making my own.

Oh my goodness! I just realized reading Jannis' post below that I left out the sliced almonds in the recipe by mistake. LOL No wonder my baking time was so different to Carolyn's - my mixture was too moist. Sooo, who knows how it would have turned out now. I'll have to make it again sometime. Suffice is to say 4x the recipe covers a 9 x 13 pan perfectly well. I will use well-greased foil next time.

Maybe I should try placing the cereal mixture on Pam-ed foil next time. Problem for me was that I think I ate more than one serving and that's too many calories for me. The microwave version is portion-controlled, but I think the oven version was crispier. Anyway, I did use cinnamon and Splenda and a bit of Gingerbread DaVinci to replace some water and not enough salt. lol It was pretty good though - I had two small bowls of cereal. I'm not hungry now. The flakes stay crispy in a sealed Tupperware-type container in the refrigerator.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 01-22-2010 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: My mistake - sorry!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
OK I made this just now with almond flour, wheat bran, flax, van. PP, and I used Davinci Carmel for the water. Nuked at 4 min. *one min intervals like Natasha did for the first three mins, then at 20 sec intervals for the last min......scoring in between*. I am eating it with a bit of almond milk and I have to say this is pretty good!! I will have to try the oven method when I am in a better position for portion control!

Thank you Jen!
DBrown8614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're welcome, Jannis. You can make it even more interesting by adding other things to your cereal such as chopped pecans, walnuts, blueberries, sliced strawberries, a few snipped raisins or craisins, etc.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #19

I used Parchment paper for my cereal..and you have to break it up probably around 8 minutes so it is still pretty flexible..

DH was looking for more this morning, so I guess I have a job to do this afternoon..
I did add some chopped walnuts, too..
Old 01-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Anyone have a good sub for flax...it gives me ginormous stomach/digestive pain. Also, I don't do soy because of a "faulty thyroid". Pumpkin seeds are out, too. Maybe sunflower seeds? Dee.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #21

You could probably use some oat bran instead or flaxseed meal..
Old 01-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Carolyn. I was thinking coconut flour, but that is very rough too. Don't worry, Dee, that is not so unusual. The same happens to my DH with flax.

Carolyn, now I've made work for you, since your DH likes it. Well, that's justice. Hehe I've just finished making another Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bar recipe of yours. It's in the freezer, but we managed to eat fully a 1/3 before freezing it! It is so good.

Carolyn, I wish I could find parchment paper or even wax paper locally, but tin foil it will have to be next time. You were thinking and obviously I wasn't because I couldn't even follow this simple recipe properly today. I've been fighting a migraine for 2 days - and that's my only excuse.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Carolyn, good idea. Thanx.~~ Jennifer, you are so right about the coconut flour...I can get away with a small amount, but not as a stand alone "flour".
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midnight
You may want to try Whey protein crisps instead of Soy I havent tried them myself but have it on my wish list. BPT Whey Protein Crisps
Has anyone else out there tried them? They have great recipes listed as well
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I just did this (a mixture recipe of Ginaaaaaa's & Jenn's). (Ginaaaaaas here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post13621398 ) I didn't put enough liquid, so it was too thick & hard to spread out thinly. I ended up basically doubling the recipe too. And I ended up finishing the cooking in my little convection toaster oven. (I had spread it out on a silicone mat, so it went easily from the micro to the regular oven.) Some of the flakes were a little thick, but all in all it was very good.
I ate it with some of CarolynF's low carb milk.
I'll definitely do it again, but will try to plan ahead (which isn't easy for me :blush: ), and cook it the day before so it will be cooler. I wasn't patient enough to let it cool well before eating it this morning. Will be much better cold, and not warming the milk up. Oh, and tho I didn't add cinnamon & Splenda to my "batter/dough", I did sprinkle some "Cinnamon Sugar" over it. The "sugar" was not sugar. In this batch I had used Whey Low. I have made it with Splenda or Erythritol (powered or lightly powdered, usually with the Cinnamon).
I may start making larger batches, and baking it in the oven. Definitely want to thin it out more than what I did this time.
Thanks Jenn & Gina!!!
Midnight, those protein chips sound interesting. Thanks. I'd never seen them.
Thanks again for the milk recipe Carolyn.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #26
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I love this recipe, especially in the cold weather! I use coconut milk instead of the water and add 2 tbs of wheat or oat bran, depending on what I have on hand, and some cinnamon. Sometimes I add different nuts instead of the almonds. Like most of Jennifer's recipes, the basic recipe is so good that you can play with it and it's STILL great!! She is a GENIUS in my book!

I have a bag with all the ingredients mixed in my freezer all the time. Just take out, put as much as I want in a bowl, add the coconut milk, micro and GO!! So easy!!

VERY YUMMY and FILLING!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 06-23-2010 at 09:20 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gosh, Linda, I didn't realize you like this recipe so much (thanks for letting me know) - it seemed a bit of a strange recipe to me at first, but if you like it - it's no longer strange. You are so organized! I'm impressed.

Where were you yesterday when I was having a meltdown of sorts? - those words might have helped for sure - wow, high praise! You're such a sweetheart, but seriously, food chemistry - I love that! Even although being a cookbook author does not bring in a lot of money (at least not for me or Dana Carpender even (Queen of low-carbing!) - read one of her latest blog posts under how she makes yogurt); it has been more a labour of love, and to be honest the acceptance I have received does not hurt either in keeping me going. We are so sick here in South America with the flu' - probably the worst flu' ever! People are getting pneumonia from it. Actually, I didn't get it (hope it stays that way), but my DH and son did and DH is still very, very sick, which means I am sleep deprived.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

P.S. That's a really cute pic of you!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Billie, hope you can figure out your version - sounds complicated.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Thanks Jenn. I LOVE simple, but it seems almost everything I do ends up complicated.

Beeb, you said you loved it in cold weather, and with what you said you did, I'm wondering;;;;; are you cooking this as a hot cereal instead of spreading it & making flakes? Just wonderin...

I love it for hot weather. That's when I like cold cereal to eat. I like hot cereals (oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc in the old HC days) in the winter or cold weather.

I'll probably start making larger batches of this & cool them to have on hand ready made. But when it get's hotter, I won't want to heat up my regular big oven, so smaller batches will probably do.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote