Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #31
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Gosh, Linda, I didn't realize you like this recipe so much (thanks for letting me know) - it seemed a bit of a strange recipe to me at first, but if you like it - it's no longer strange. You are so organized! I'm impressed.

Where were you yesterday when I was having a meltdown of sorts? - those words might have helped for sure - wow, high praise! You're such a sweetheart, but seriously, food chemistry - I love that! Even although being a cookbook author does not bring in a lot of money (at least not for me or Dana Carpender even (Queen of low-carbing!) - read one of her latest blog posts under how she makes yogurt); it has been more a labour of love, and to be honest the acceptance I have received does not hurt either in keeping me going. We are so sick here in South America with the flu' - probably the worst flu' ever! People are getting pneumonia from it. Actually, I didn't get it (hope it stays that way), but my DH and son did and DH is still very, very sick, which means I am sleep deprived.
OH Jennifer, I got you and yours in on my prayer list! Think positive thoughts and INTEND that everyone is going to be better by tomorrow. I'm a great one for believing in the law of intentions and not giving energy to a negative in our lives.

I am a published author, too and boy don't I know that there is NO money to be made from it unless you are the publisher! Such is life, huh!

Thanks for the profile pic compliment and that I'm so organized. I use to do child care in my home, at one time had 13 children ranging from 9 months to 12, with a teenage helper. I watched them 5 days a week, from 8 to 6. Had to learn to be organized! It just stuck with me after that!

Hope everyone is better soon! Take care of you, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Thanks Jenn. I LOVE simple, but it seems almost everything I do ends up complicated.

Beeb, you said you loved it in cold weather, and with what you said you did, I'm wondering;;;;; are you cooking this as a hot cereal instead of spreading it & making flakes? Just wonderin...

I love it for hot weather. That's when I like cold cereal to eat. I like hot cereals (oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc in the old HC days) in the winter or cold weather.

I'll probably start making larger batches of this & cool them to have on hand ready made. But when it get's hotter, I won't want to heat up my regular big oven, so smaller batches will probably do.
Yes, I first made this as a hot cereal by accident because i didn't read the whole post, and just love it this way! I am going to try the way the recipe was written and I'm sure coming from Jennifer it will be the best!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 06-23-2010 at 01:55 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hey, Billie, that was pretty observant of you to notice that Linda is making the recipe as a hot porridge type of thing. Is that right, Linda? Go figure! Really, you're an author too? Fantastic! I had no idea. My son is an author too. He just finished writing his second romance/mystery novel.

We are the publisher of my cookbooks - I mean I have gone the route of regular publishers and I agree, I got nothing! Sales used to be so much better in the good old days, before poor Dr. Atkins died and low-carbing tanked. Things are slowly picking up again in the low-carb world, because people are sticking together and working as a team to get the message out - that's what is important - team work. We do a lot of that on LCF's too. Many people are tired of low-fat diets either not working or keeping them hungry. Now they are remembering the low-carb way of eating again.

"I'm a great one for believing in the law of intentions and not giving energy to a negative in our lives." This is very true. I believe that as well.

Just adding - I missed the part about where you took care of so many kids at once. Oh my - you need a medal!!

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 06-23-2010 at 02:04 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laranda
Stats: 185lbs 5'1/147/GOAL-110
WOE: Atkins/IF
Start Date: LC Since 09 JUDDD - 1/30/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
MICROWAVE DRY CEREAL
Here is an idea for those who were used to eating cereal every morning for breakfast in their higher carb days of yester year.

2 tbsp sliced almonds
2 tbsp ground almonds
2 tbsp organic golden flax meal
1 tbsp vanilla whey protein
Pinch No Salt
Pepper sprinkle
2 tbsp water

In small cereal bowl, combine sliced almonds, ground almonds, flax meal, vanilla whey protein, salt and pepper. Stir in water. Spray dinner plate with nonstick cooking spray. Spread mixture out in large circle on plate. Microwave 3 minutes on high (maybe this could go longer for a crispier result? I have not tested it more than twice – both times at 3 min.). Break into irregular, small pieces. Serve with low carb milk (See Carolyn’s low-carb milk on LCF’s) or alternative and Splenda Granular to taste. Add a few frozen blueberries, if desired, or chopped pecans or whatever. It’s an easy recipe to play with.

Note: This recipe will probably be a bit “weird” for many people’s tastes and I was a bit reticent to post it for that reason. However, for those who don’t mind weird, this has good fiber and is a healthy brekkie for a change of pace. My low-carb granola recipes would probably be nicer, but this is so quick and convenient. One doesn’t always have granola on hand. Golden flax meal has a better flavor than the other kind in my opinion.

Yield: 1 serving, 214.o calories; 12.0 g protein; 16.6 g fat, 2.1 g carbs
Hey Jennifer, I can't believe you almost didn't post this! I almost didn't try it because of your doubts, but I was hungry and happened to have all the ingredients

I think you should rename this recipe, 3 minute cereal
I combined the ingredients in a bowl, I substituted (Vanilla Bean Torani Syrup for the water and I omitted the pepper) then I tossed it out on a piece of parchment paper to go in the microwave.

I put it in the microwave for 1 min, then I remembered I was supposed to put it in a circle

After 1 min it was already kind of firm, so I was able to break it up into smaller pieces to get a crunchier texture.

After about 2 min it looked like this.

I couldn't resist tasting it before it came out of the microwave and it was yummy! I may use a teeny bit more sweetner next time or I may not it was delicious as is! It tasted like granola so I decided to have it on some yogurt instead of as cereal. (I was too lazy to make some LC milk)

Half the batch was enough for my yougurt, but I was tempted to go into the ziplock back in my fridge for more :blush:

Anyways, great recipe Jennifer! I'm a horrible cook but this is so simple and being able to use the microwave made it really quick. Can't wait to have this with some LC milk

-elle
laranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Elle, you made me giggle. My circle looked like your first one. You are too funny, but I guess my instructions were ambiguous.

I'm going to have to make this tomorrow morning again. I'd forgotten this recipe. I think I would like it atop yogurt as well. I love yogurt.

Hey, don't put yourself down where cooking is concerned. If you can read English, you can cook. You just need the right ingredients and utensils and away you go - follow your recipe. I only tackle simple stuff myself - usually! I'm too lazy to do anything too complicated.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alex57
Jennifer,

Must tell you how much I enjoy this recipe!

Quadrupled the batch, used butterscotch DaVinci for the liquid, baked in the oven and enjoyed having cereal for the first time in years. Had it 3 mornings in a row and even one evening for a light supper. Ate it with cream poured on top. I like eggs very much but did really enjoy something different for a change.

Mine didn't turn out crunchy.... maybe being stored in the fridge was why, but was very chewy which I liked.

Missed having some this morning so made 2 quadruple batches today. One with banana DaVinci and the other with cookie dough flavor.

Thanks again for sharing.
alex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Alex. That's really cool. You could probably keep it drier in a sealed cookie tin at room temperature. The other thing is, you could probably nuke the cereal again briefly to crisp it up.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceandiva
Stats: 294/212/180
WOE: Atkins-gluten free
Start Date: May 2008
I've been really wanting cereal and am so looking forward to trying this recipe. thank you Jennifer.
oceandiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceandiva
Stats: 294/212/180
WOE: Atkins-gluten free
Start Date: May 2008
Had cerceal this morning for the first time in several years and it was wonderful!! I had it with sugar free soy vanilla soy milk and can't thank Jennifer enough for this pleasurable experience.
oceandiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cool. Go figure! Who would have thunk this recipe could be a winner? Thanks for the feedback, Oceandiva.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LuvLatte
Stats: 135/141/123 @ 5'3" and 46 yo
WOE: LC on and off. Now whole foods & JUDDD
Start Date: Restart: 9/21/2011 w JUDDD at 145
Thank you, Jennifer! I was looking for a protein bar recipe so I can have something to take on hikes/backpacking trips with, and someone suggested this thread. This is awesome! I made your original recipe but used SF chocolate syrup in place of water and pepper. I rolled it into two thick round discs instead, and nuked it for 3 min. It's awesome! I had one in the office, and will let the other one sit out and see how it holds up. Very promising!!

Thanks again!
LuvLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
bumping for cereal lovers..

I need to make this again..Dh wants some good cereal..LOL
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistyjo1
Stats: 226/185/140
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: march 31/1010
bumping...
mistyjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #43

I made a bunch tonight..And baked it longer..It was very crunchy. It is for dh, so I partitioned out 3/4 of a cup and put it in a baggie, so he wouldn't overeat it.

The key is to break it up after about 8 minutes, then keeping breaking it up every
5 minutes or so.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #44
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Try the recipe as written but don't bake it. Put it in a bowl with some coconut milk, hwc, or dairy beverage of choice and microwave it for about 1 to 2 minutes on high.

Comes out like cream of wheat or oatmeal. I add a little cream on top and mix before eating!

YUMMY!!!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Must try this. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistyjo1
Stats: 226/185/140
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: march 31/1010
cereal this is what I have been missing breakfast or as a late night snack LC just got better
mistyjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #47

Linda: Wow this is a flexible recipe.. I used to make the flaxseed meal cereal with
PP for my dh..

Anyhow, my dh loved his crunchy cereal this morning.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn, this recipe was such a surprise - put it this way, I was really surprised that it was any good. Amazing! So glad your DH can have his cereal now. You are good to him and spoil him lots.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:00 AM   #49

Honestly, Jennifer this is the best cereal ever..It's easy and quick and I snuck some of his cereal to put on top of my Greek yogurt..
Old 12-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
I love this cereal, I use caramel flavored syrup instead of water and leave out the pepper. I also roll it out between 2 pieces of parchment paper so it will be thin. After I take it out of the microwave and while it's still warm I sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar. Put it in a baggy, makes a great on the go snack. Thank you Jennifer for all your wonderful creations.
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:57 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're welcome, Maru. Sounds like you have come up with a particularly tasty version.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #52

bumping this for a nice cold summer breakfast..Off to make some more.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, you're still making this for your hubby, Carolyn?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

P.S. Your low-carb milk recipe is THE most popular recipe on my entire blog!! Thanks for letting me share it there.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #55

Thanks, Jennifer..

Well, after I make this cereal, I cool it, then divide into 2/3 cup portions in baggies.
I put in the fridge..So, dh doesn't overeat it..
Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I made it this morning using DV instead of water and using 1 cup instead of 2T as my standard and adjusting all the other ingredients-no pepper but added cinnamon. I baked it for 8 minutes at 350 d and then began baking and breaking each 5 minutes for about 30-40 minutes. I used a large cookie sheet and parchment paper. I also stirred 1 c of unsweetened coconut into the recipe. Very good- I used half and half for my milk. TY, Jenn
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is one of those recipes that you guys had to show me had value. I didn't have a clue really. I never used to eat cereal (except granola sometimes on yogurt) even in my high-carb youth. Thanks for the continued and fun feedback! I like all the options and variations offered. Thanks Carolyn and Anne too.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #58

Anne: I put some coconut in it last time..

It is so flexible, Jennifer..any kind of nuts/sweetener..work great.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
I made this last night, it was just great, tastes like granola cereal, DH bragged it up, too. I left out the salt and pepper and used pancake syrup. I believe the pancake syrup made it taste more like granola than other flavors would. I kept the ground almonds a little on the chunky side.

I get stomach cramps from flax meal and don't use whey protein, but I know both of these items absorb liquid, so I had to substitute something that absorbs. I don't eat soy, so I substituted pork rinds put through the food processor. You couldn't taste, see or smell them at all in the finished product. I did the cereal in the microwave for 3 minutes. I don't know if it was the pork rinds or what, but it sure came out crispy, just like cereal.

Thank you so much, Jennifer, for posting this recipe. We are Diabetic and are very happy that we don't have to give up dry cereal any more.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #60

Widget..Great idea with porkrinds...I do need to make some more of this..