Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Ok, I re-made them, this time I went and bought Body Fortress vanilla to make sure i had the same PP as Ms. Woods. I used Bou recipe, it had a nice raise and was not like rubber like my first batch. maybe it's the water or baking powder, I don't know. Also the batter was thinner, so maybe that was why they turned out better.

Instead of the 1/4 cup of water I used banana davinci. I also added some pecans to them. I used my hand mixer this time to get them smooth instead of the whisk. I mixed all the wet and then added the power and then the melted butter last, baked for 15 minutes. They were a little dry so i will cut 1 minute off the time next time and if still dry cut another minute.

These are so gult free and high in protein, I love it as a snack. These aren't the best LC bake good I've had but good for a quick, and not a lot of ingredients., they work for me

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #242
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Thanks, LindaSue
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenerosity
Stats: 304/209/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/1/07
So I thought I'd jump in on the experimentation too...lol...I used the original recipe, but sweetened with about quarter cup of vanilla davinci's and a few drops of stevia. Then I added probably a good quarter cup of peanut butter and a few drops of banana extract...it was a good idea in theory...turned out okay but for the banana extract has a chemical taste to it. Bleck! Need to find some banana davinci's.

I've been leaving mine out on the counter without any problems.

This is such a great, and simple, recipe...keep the experimentations coming!

Started: 3/1/07 - Officially 100 pounds lighter as of 5/9/08!!!
jenerosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carbkinky
Stats: 138/159/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2004 rollercoaster
I am gonna try these with chocolate designer whey!!
carbkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #245
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: LC my way & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 1/4/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbkinky View Post
That's what I used and they turned out great!!!
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Boudica
Stats: New Mommy
WOE: Low G.I. WOE
Start Date: Every Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyyear View Post
Bou, thank you for the lower calorie version of the cake. Reducing carbs is not enough for me, I'm always looking for ways of lowering calories while keeping the carbs down.

I can't wait to make your version of the cake!

Please share your version of the chocolate one you said you were making. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
bou....thanks for the lower calorie version. As I move on I know I will have to drop my fats at some pt.

So TOTALLY Welcome. I, too, have to still watch my calories. I tend to grab one or two of these throughout the day. Very quick snack!

The chocolate version was the same as the vanilla but adding 1/2 a cube of melted bakers chocolate. It came out very good but I would add a full cube next time... and probably use chocolate PP. I wanted a seriously DEEP chocolate flavor.

~Bou
Boudica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #247

Gallery: thisismyyear
Bou, thank you so much! Great recipe.
thisismyyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Boudica
Stats: New Mommy
WOE: Low G.I. WOE
Start Date: Every Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyyear View Post
Bou, thank you so much! Great recipe.

Again, totally welcome. I thank MsWoods for the original. If I hadn't fallen IN LURVE with it I never woulda tried tweaking.

It definitely has the same components as the Donut Hole recipe SkeeterN posted a *while* back http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...nel-cakes.html , but these you fry. I very much enjoy MsWoods BAKED version more.

As I am still mostly bedridden, I do as much calorie watching as I do carb watching. I am sure, once I am up and about again, cals won't be as much of an enemy as it is now.... but, alas, I gotta keep an eye out..... (insert your own spooky music here).
Old 01-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #249

Gallery: thisismyyear
Boud, I hope you are feeling better soon. I think I'm one of those who will always have to keep an eye on calories (while lowering carbs). Off to check out the donut holes now!.....
thisismyyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
"...really good cold, they were even better frozen!"

Now THAT's interesting. I'm going to try that.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:52 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member

I made the choco version and added 2T Wakdens Farms carmel dip topped them with pecans, baked in 6 muffin pan---Turtle cakes!!!! yum!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Allysmom24
Stats: 299/178/160
WOE: Lower Carb
I made a dutch apple pie version. I used one of the Walmart Sugar Free Apple drink mix (like Crystal Light) containers, caramel DaVinci's syrup and then sprinkled cinnamon, diabetisweet brown sugar and pecans on the top of the original recipe before cooking. The next time I need to use only half of the apple mix container and I think I'll mix the cinnamon/sugar/nuts into the mixture rather than sprinkled on top. They were still pretty good and I know the next batch will be even better.
Allysmom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #253
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allysmom24 View Post
I made a dutch apple pie version. I used one of the Walmart Sugar Free Apple drink mix (like Crystal Light) containers, caramel DaVinci's syrup and then sprinkled cinnamon, diabetisweet brown sugar and pecans on the top of the original recipe before cooking. The next time I need to use only half of the apple mix container and I think I'll mix the cinnamon/sugar/nuts into the mixture rather than sprinkled on top. They were still pretty good and I know the next batch will be even better.
wow that sounds incredible!
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #254

Gallery: southbeacher
Stats: 200.5/200.5/140
WOE: South Beach Diet-Phase 1
Start Date: 2/1/10
Question, I admit I haven't gone through all the threads, but may I ask, do you use regular butter or unsalted? The reason why I ask is that I'm on South Beach and would prefer to use a non-hydrogenated spread instead of butter...and they're all salted!

Just wondering if it would make much of a difference if I used a spread like Smart Balance.
southbeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #255
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
In this recipe it doesn't really matter if you use unstalted or salted. I don't know if anyone has tried a spread but I would think it would work similar.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 AM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I made the lower calorie version with several drops of Pralines and Cream Lorann flavoring. The taste was excellent. The texture needs work. I believe I overcooked them. The cake was shiny on top, so I was fooled about how soon it was actually cooked. These are such a convenient and portable meal. I will be trying once again tomorrow.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #257

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Quote:
This is a great idea. Did you use the individual ones? Or you could use a package of the SF apple cider mix.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Allysmom24
Stats: 299/178/160
WOE: Lower Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
This is a great idea. Did you use the individual ones? Or you could use a package of the SF apple cider mix.
I used the little, individual ones that come 5 or 6 in a container. I think they make 2 quarts of the apple drink. One container was too much though. I liked the tartness but there was a slightly bitter taste and I think it was from using too much apple stuff. I'm going to try 1/2 container in the next batch.
Allysmom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #259

Thank you MsWoods, I'll definitely be trying this recipe made with Smart Balance buttery spread sometime soon!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #260

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
I used the little, individual ones that come 5 or 6 in a container. I think they make 2 quarts of the apple drink. One container was too much though. I liked the tartness but there was a slightly bitter taste and I think it was from using too much apple stuff. I'm going to try 1/2 container in the next batch.
It's possible that the bitterness was caused by baking with aspartame (in the apple drink mix). I've heard that you're not supposed to bake with apartame.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbkinky View Post
I went back to using designer whey with better results also. I still prefer them frozen right out of the freezer. The texture and coldness is like a candy cookie.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #262

Jodi, freezing them is a great idea. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Next time I am gonna try using my muffin top pan!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I was making a batch of the lower calorie vanilla with carob chips. Ran out of PP so I used 1/3 c. (1 scoop) of almond flour sub for 1 scoop of PP. Also used 2 tbsp. EVOO sub for 2 TB. of the butter, since I was short on the butter as well. These were so moist that I had to bake them the extra 5 min. (20 min. total). Put them in the frig for storage and they are very moist and tasty.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #265

Gallery: Determinedtolose
Quote:
Welcome TimesTwo! Another poster had problems with the butter becoming separated also. it's almost like your not cakes aren't absorbing the liquid. I have no idea what would cause it but do try again!

I made these again and I undercooked the next batch trying to compensate for my dry first batch. LOL I cooked for 15 min. the first, 10 the next. 12 should do it perfectly! Talk about experiments...
I used the Jay Robb powder and that's what happened to mine too. I patted the butter down, and baked them a little longer, but they turned out hard and dry. I had to throw them away. I do have the Body Fortress and I'll try these again.
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hauermich
Don't know if this is in a previous post(sorry, did not want to read through 9 pages) but....the chocolate ones are delicious with a dallop of whipped cream on top

Michele
hauermich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetdreams
MS. Woods.... do you line your pan with aluminium foil? Or do can we just spray the glass 8x8 pan with oil?

Thank you!
sweetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #268
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Well, you can line it with foil if you want, but it's not required. I've used foil or sprayed it with non stick cooking spray.

One thing I want to mention, for those of you using the muffin tins, if you line them with paper first, peel the paper right off after they bake. If you stick them in the fridge with the paper on they tend to get moist and the paper sticks to the bottom. I made that mistake with my last batch and had to cut the bottoms off. The first time I made the chocolate muffin "oreo cakesters", I just sprayed the muffin tin with spray and cooked them and they came out much better.

I'm going to try to find Jay Robb at my other GNC this week and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #269
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: LC my way & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 1/4/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams View Post
MS. Woods.... do you line your pan with aluminium foil? Or do can we just spray the glass 8x8 pan with oil?

Thank you!
I always line my pan with foil just cuz it makes for easy clean-up...no pan to wash
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I just had an orange jello one fresh from the freezer and I love it that way.

And I recently made a new batch with 2 individual packets of Crystal Light lemonade instead of the jello. Looks and smells divine.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote