Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sweet Pea
Stats: 272/205/170 A1C 5.3
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 7-18-10
What about adding baking powder to make it rise?
Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
What about adding baking powder to make it rise?
I was wondering about that too.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katlj
Stats: 142/134/btw. 127-125 5'7"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart (again *sigh*): 8/4/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
I was wondering about that too.
Me three.
katlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #94
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
alright MsWoods...take two..

i am using strawberry pp, coconut oil, orange extract and irish cream davincis. instead of icreasing my davincis, i added i packet of splenda. batter tasted great. oh ya and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

I have a work training today...where box lunches will be provided. which means all i get is some turkey and cheese from inside the sandwhich so i'm taking my protein cake with me to fill me up!
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Boudica
Stats: New Mommy
WOE: Low G.I. WOE
Start Date: Every Day
Trying this with Baking Powder

Just read through the thread and I'm going to make a batch now like this:

2 eggs
3 scoops whey protein powder (vanilla)
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sweetener (Splenda)
1 t baking powder

I'll let you know how it turns out.

~Bou
Boudica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Ok...I just made them with 2eggs/jd rob chocolate whey 3 scoops/2table of dark chocolate cocoa/3tablespoons of davinci vanilla/1/2 tsp baking powder

They came out about 1inch thick but very dry. Not sure why?? I cooked them for 17mins. They came more like a dry brownie.

Last edited by JKat; 01-21-2010 at 09:08 AM..
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #97
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
Ok...I just made them with 2eggs/jd rob chocolate whey 3 scoops/2table of dark chocolate cocoa/3tablespoons of davinci vanilla/1/2 tsp baking soda.

They came out about 1inch think but very dry. Not sure why?? I cooked them for 17mins. They came more like a dry brownie.
When I used cocoa powder I only used 2.5 scoops of protein powder. I also don't know what the baking soda would do to the texture as I didn't use it and didn't feel it needed it.

It's possible you overcooked them. Everyones ovens have been different so far in this experiment. My convection oven takes about 20-25 minutes at 325*
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
Cocoa powder is like a flour, so it will take up some of the liquid or moisture. There has to be a compensation somewhere for that. i.e. more liquid splenda or 1t vanilla, etc.
DBrown8614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #99

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
Well I must be doing something wrong because I made a second batch in chocolate and I HAD to add liquid in order to get it out of the magic bullet the batter was SO thick. I left out the Davincis and used liquid Stevia and Erythritol but then added 1/4 cup water when it sounded like the motor on my magic bullet would burn up. I even used less protein powder than called for only using 1 scoop with 1 Tbsp cocoa powder. Maybe there is a lot of difference in protein powders? I used Optimum Nutrition for this batch and ON plus some Jay Robb for the vanilla. Seriously I couldn't get it out of the container without the addition of some water.
I have a feeling that the problem was caused by using the Magic Bullet to mix the batter. It probably overworked the protein powder and turned it to glue. The batter doesn't need that much of a workout. I just mixed mine with a spoon.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #100
Big Yapper!!!!

That makes sense LS, I just used a fork to mix mine for a second, no biggie.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

I just made mine (with a wire whisk). 2 eggs, 2.75 scoops of protein powder, 1 stick butter, 1/4 cup Splenda, 1t cinnamon and 1t baking powder.

I baked for 11 minutes then let it set in the oven (turned off) for another minute. These are awesome! The baking powder let them rise to about 1 inch in height and gave them a cake like consistency. It kind of ended up looking like a golden cake in the middle.

~Bou
Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown8614 View Post
Cocoa powder is like a flour, so it will take up some of the liquid or moisture. There has to be a compensation somewhere for that. i.e. more liquid splenda or 1t vanilla, etc.
I think this is it. The batter was way thicker today than last night when I made the vanilla ones.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #103
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm just curious, do you guys think the baking powder makes a difference? Mine are usually puffy anyways, although I did think about using baking powder. I might have to experiment today.

I really want to try a fruit flavor like Chantyl has been making. I feel another experiment coming on. I'm thinking jello. Hmmmm, I wonder if I could make a jello cake out of this. You know, the one where you poke holes in the cake and pour the jello over it...

Last edited by MsWoods; 01-21-2010 at 10:04 AM..
Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Hmmmm, I wonder if I could make a jello cake out of this. You know, the one where you poke holes in the cake and pour the jello over it...
Holy Moses you have GOT to give that a shot!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #105

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudica View Post
Holy Moses you have GOT to give that a shot!
You mean a jello shot!!!
TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLoser View Post
You mean a jello shot!!!

Dear Me. I never woulda made the connection.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

I just made them again with baking powder. They were eggie. I did not like the texture. I am going to skip it next time. I really liked the first ones I made with the original recipe.

The other thing I changed was the whey. In the original I used designer and today I used JDrob. I wonder if that also changed the texture or if its just the baking powder??
Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

The taste alot better now that I let them cool off. I am going to put them in the refrig for a while and try them again
Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just made them again with baking powder. They were eggie. I did not like the texture. I am going to skip it next time. I really liked the first ones I made with the original recipe.

The other thing I changed was the whey. In the original I used designer and today I used JDrob. I wonder if that also changed the texture or if its just the baking powder??

Mine were super seriously just DELICIOUS! No eggy taste... but I used Body Fortress PP from WalMart. I'm wondering if, instead of adding cocoa powder to make chocolate ones, a person could just use chocolate PP? Anyone tried this with straight chocolate PP?!?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #110

Quote:
Ok...I just made them with 2eggs/jd rob chocolate whey 3 scoops/2table of dark chocolate cocoa/3tablespoons of davinci vanilla/1/2 tsp baking powder

They came out about 1inch thick but very dry. Not sure why?? I cooked them for 17mins. They came more like a dry brownie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I have a feeling that the problem was caused by using the Magic Bullet to mix the batter. It probably overworked the protein powder and turned it to glue. The batter doesn't need that much of a workout. I just mixed mine with a spoon.
I wonder if the Jay Robb is more "drying" than other protein powders in this recipe because mine came out extremely dry too even with an extra egg added. But then again I also baked it 20 minutes, so not sure if it was the extra baking time or the fact that the Jay Robb is "drier" or maybe a little of both.

I also used an electric hand mixer to mix mine so my pp was probably too gluey also.

And they were super, super dry. Almost too dry to eat. But I did anyway since the flavor was so yummy lol.

Last edited by Dreamchaser; 01-21-2010 at 01:36 PM..
Old 01-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I wonder if the Jay Robb is more "drying" than other protein powders in this recipe because mine came out extremely dry too even with an extra egg added. But then again I also baked it 20 minutes, so not sure if it was the extra baking time or the fact that the Jay Robb is "drier" or maybe a little of both.

I also used an electric hand mixer to mix mine so my pp was probably too gluey also.

And they were super, super dry. Almost too dry to eat. But I did anyway since the flavor was so yummy lol.
I re-made them with the vanilla JD Rob and they were eggie out of the oven but once they have cooled down they are really good. They were not dry.

I put my really dry one with cocoa in the freezer and will eat it right out of the freezer like a cold candy bar. The flavor is very yummy!! I agree.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wishbone
Stats: 260/158/160
WOE: low carb my weigh
...have these in the oven now...
I used 2 eggs...and had some cinnamon bun protein powder that I hav'nt tried out yet.....can't wait

JAN
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #113
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
this was a life saver today... and it smells so delightful. i want to try it with butter instead of coconut oil but who knows when i'll go to the store again lol
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #114
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok guys, I made some "oreo cakesters" out of these, pics coming soon.

I'm also making a strawberry jello Whey Not Cake. It's cooling as we speak.(I'm giving this stuff away btw not eating it all)

Last edited by MsWoods; 01-21-2010 at 03:04 PM..
Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantyl03 View Post
this was a life saver today... and it smells so delightful. i want to try it with butter instead of coconut oil but who knows when i'll go to the store again lol

Mine, made with butter, really has a buttery taste to it. It has a slightly greasy mouth feel, but nothing unpleasant.

How does it taste with coconut oil? I have some Nutiva organic EVCO I'd like to try in it.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wattobotf
Stats: 252/232/175
WOE: Higher Fat Bernstein's/Atkins
Start Date: Restart June 1, 2010
I used 1/2 cup organic coconut oil, no butter, 2 eggs, baking powder and 1 cup of vanilla whey protein powder and added 1/4 cup powdered erythritol. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor, the last little bite has a slight coconutty taste. Next time I will decrease the oil and the erythritol as it was very sweet. The texture was good.
wattobotf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
Quote:

I used Jay Robb and mine were dry also. I am going to grab some Body Fortress tomorrow and try that
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #118

Gallery: Determinedtolose
I just made these and the butter floated to the top. I wonder what happened?
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #119
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SassyMollassy
Help! I had been dying to make these ever since you posted the other day but I think I have seriously screwed up somewhere. I followed the original chocolate recipe pretty closely, although I had to use xylitol instead of sweet n low or splenda and a (9x4?) baking pan. I also used the EAS brand protein powder. The batter was very thick - thick as cookie batter and very, very grainy or bumpy. It took about 12 minutes to achieve a solid-ish state and the texture is quite rubbery. The taste is alright - very brownie like. But it's almost like eating brownie-flavored silly putty. What I do wrong?
SassyMollassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #120

Quote:
I re-made them with the vanilla JD Rob and they were eggie out of the oven but once they have cooled down they are really good. They were not dry.

OK, I was afraid to take them out of the oven earlier because I thought they looked too eggie. Next time, I'll know better!

I put my really dry one with cocoa in the freezer and will eat it right out of the freezer like a cold candy bar. The flavor is very yummy!! I agree.
Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoftwo View Post
I used Jay Robb and mine were dry also. I am going to grab some Body Fortress tomorrow and try that
Yeah, maybe with the Jay Robb, it's good to use less protein powder.

It's funny how varied everybody's results with these things are lol!