Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #481
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
You could make chocolate ice cream.

Chocolate Nondairy Ice Cream

1/2 cup water
2 t plain gelatin
1/4 cup granular erythritol or 1/3 cup powdered
2 T cocoa powder
pinch of salt

Stir ingredients together. Microwave 1/2 minute. Stir. Microwave another 1/2 minute. Add
2/3 cup coconut milk
2 scoops of egg white protein
1 cup sweetener of choice
1 t vanilla
1/4 t chocolate extract, optional
1 and 1/2 cups water

Stir together. You can use an immersion blender if you like. But even though it doesn't look like it will go together, it will when you put it into the ice cream maker. Chill. It will separate into layers. Don't worry. Put in your ice cream maker.

This will make 2 meal replacement servings. My egg white protein is 2 T = 24 grams of protein. Some others are 1/3 cup for the same amount of protein. Whatever yours is, use 2 servings.

I have had ice cream everyday for the last several months as one of my 4 meals a day. I lost weight on this regimen. In fact, I have had to add in food because I got too thin!
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #482
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nondairy Shake
The recipe for the shakes are similar.

Put into your blender
Ice cubes
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 serving egg white protein
pinch of salt
sweetener to taste

You can use chocolate diet soda as your liquid, or any davinci's syrups, any flavorings, etc. Mix chocolate and caramel, or mint, or marshmallow, or peanut butter flavoring. This is a diet shake, which again, I lost weight using. If you are hungry before your next meal, you can add an egg, or double the protein powder.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #483
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I forgot to add that if dairy isn't a problem for you, you can replace each 1/3 cup coconut milk with 2 T heavy cream in the shakes. They are approximately the same fat grams and calories. I never tried the ice cream recipe with cream, so I don't know how much you would need. I think it would significantly increase the calories.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #484
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
I went to a Trader Joe's and their prices were more expensive than the local health food stores in my area. Where are you all finding these good deals at Trader Joes?
I have paid from $10-14 per pound for almond meal. I have tried grinding whole almonds but that didn't work at all.
I don't know I guess it's a regional thing
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #485
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Ok guys, I finally got some Jay Robb PP and tried it. I used the strawberry flavor and made it the regular way except I forgot the butter, I did add a teeny bit of oil though. It still came out the same, a lot lighter though, and more dry. But it was still good and edible. I marinated some strawberries yesterday and I'm going to put some over a piece today, kind of like a strawberry short cake, so that will help with the dryness. I don't know if the butter would have made a difference.

Anyways, so those of you that are using Jay Robb and having massive problems, I'm not sure why. The only thing I noticed was them being a bit more dry.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:28 AM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Speck,
I goofed. It was a Whole Foods that I went to. Unfortunately there isn't a Trader Joes in Florida. But there is one in Ohio so next time I am up there I am gonna check it out!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #487
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post

Ouch! I get almond meal at Trader Joe's for $4 for a 1 lb bag. It's not as pretty as almond flour, but it works just as well.

I find a huge difference in Trader Joe's almond meal and a good almond flour. Trader Joes works for some things but I would not try to use it in a cake or where it is the main flour. It works great for almond thins though. I order my almond flour
for about $5.00 a pound.

Someone asked about egg protein. I use it to bulk up my oopsies. It is not Jay Robb though, I don't even remember the brand, it is unflavored egg protein.

Last edited by shadowzip; 04-06-2010 at 06:01 AM..
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #488
Senior LCF Member

Shadow, can you PM me and let me know where you order your almond flour from?
And how do you make your oopsies? I haven't been brave enough to try those yet.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #489
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
Shadow, can you PM me and let me know where you order your almond flour from?
And how do you make your oopsies? I haven't been brave enough to try those yet.
We are not supposed to PM or post sites that sell the same things that netrition sells. Just google almond flour and sites will come up, check the prices. It should be in the top 5.

I make my oopsies just like the original recipe here http://www.examiner.com/x-355-Low-Ca...lutenFree-Buns but I add one scoop of unflavored egg protein to each batch, in the egg yolks. I also bake them at 325 about 10 minutes longer than the original recipe. Let them dry on the counter for about 8 hours then stack with paper towels between them and loosely bag them( leave bag open a little) and refrigerate.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #490
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
subbing
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #491
Senior LCF Member

thanks Shadow, I will do that. I might even try the oopsies. I dont like meringue at all. I was sort of afraid that they would taste like that.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #492
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
I bought body fortress whey protein powder vanilla flavor, but when I got home I realized it was 6 carbs per serving, 3 sugar and no fiber! The reason I bought it was reading what others here had bought. Did they change it? Is this accurate? Help!
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #493
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantlessofme View Post
I bought body fortress whey protein powder vanilla flavor, but when I got home I realized it was 6 carbs per serving, 3 sugar and no fiber! The reason I bought it was reading what others here had bought. Did they change it? Is this accurate? Help!
This is correct. It used to be 5g for 2 scoops, now it's 6, 3g for 1 scoop. The carbs are still really low per piece.

I used Jay Robb last week, it has 1g carb per scoop. They are more dry, but definately a very low carb snack. I put marinated strawberries over it and it sopped up the dryness.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #494
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantlessofme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
This is correct. It used to be 5g for 2 scoops, now it's 6, 3g for 1 scoop. The carbs are still really low per piece.

I used Jay Robb last week, it has 1g carb per scoop. They are more dry, but definately a very low carb snack. I put marinated strawberries over it and it sopped up the dryness.
A note about the serving size = 2 scoops. The 2 scoops are for weight builders. The normal serving is 1 scoop, hense 3 carbs per normal serving. (My BF vanilla whey protein still says 5g (2 scoops) or 2 1/2 for 1 scoop. The Chocolate (new container) says 2 scoops = 6g carbs - 1 fiber = 5g Which translates to 2 1/2 net carbs per scoop or normal serving.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #495
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah, but I (along with a few other people) don't do net carbs, we do total, that's why you hardly ever see "net" counts in my posts

I just read the label and whatever it says is what I use
Old 05-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #496
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jennn1971
Thank you for this!!

Quote:
I used 1tbsp of batter in each muffin to make lower carb/snack size portions. It made 18 of these. If you wanted them larger you could do 2tbsp and it should make 9.

This is for the cinnamon "roll" ones that Suzanna posted a variation of, but I don't use any type of brown sugar or other crazy ingredients I don't have on hand. They were really good the way they were. I stored them in an air tight container in the fridge and the next day they are even more moist.
I made bread pudding with these and it was to die for!! My family ate it up. I kept saying, "but it's low carb" and it didn't sway them. It has a REAL bread consistency. I love these.
jennn1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #497
Junior LCF Member

to put it all together

Quote:
I made mine in a muffin pan actually. Always sprayed the pan very well first. For the cinnamon ones I added cinnamon to the bottom. It actually made 18, using 1tbsp of batter for each. It doesn't look like much batter, but they puff up with the additional egg and baking powder. I also had to do it like this to lower the carb count. If you wanted them bigger you could use 2tbsp of batter and get about 9.

I really really wish I had a mini muffin tin because 1tbsp of batter would make the perfect mini muffin.

In my batter I also added about 1/4 cup chopped pecans. So it came out to:
3 eggs
3 scoops whey protein powder
2tbsp butter, melted
1tbsp (because I accidentally dumped it) baking powder
sweetener to taste
cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Mix all ingredients together. Spray a muffin tin and sprinkle cinnamon on the bottom of each. Add 1tbsp of batter and cook for about 8-10 minutes. It took a lot less time for these.
this is the version I used for bread pudding
Old 05-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #498
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Bread Pudding recipe, please.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #499
Junior LCF Member

bread pudding

I took 4-5 mini muffin whey not cinnamon rolls and broke them up, beat an egg (you may like it with 2), added some cream, cinnamon, and vanilla and poured it over to wet it. Microwaved it for a minute, then ate it. Yum.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #500
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: Paleo & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 09/01/14
I just made another batch of the chocolate brownies...love them! This time I used the liquid Splenda and they were even more moist and chewy...YUM. Although they'd prolly have to be a solid brick for me to turn brownies down
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #501
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pegbord
Stats: 175.8/128.8/111
WOE: hcg/Simeons
Start Date: sept 2009 - maint round Mar 1, 2011
uh, total bump!!

I am so eager for my work week to be finished (3 more nights) so that I can go to the store and get some ingredients to make these!!!

I was wondering about using chia seeds (gelled) for the cases where they turned out dry - chia seeds are great at absorbing the moisture and keeping it IN the product

I'm sooooooooooooo eager to try these - they sound divine - and so many variations!
pegbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #502
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy2aCutie
subbing
Mommy2aCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #503
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
You could make chocolate ice cream.

Chocolate Nondairy Ice Cream

1/2 cup water
2 t plain gelatin
1/4 cup granular erythritol or 1/3 cup powdered
2 T cocoa powder
pinch of salt

Stir ingredients together. Microwave 1/2 minute. Stir. Microwave another 1/2 minute. Add
2/3 cup coconut milk
2 scoops of egg white protein
1 cup sweetener of choice
1 t vanilla
1/4 t chocolate extract, optional
1 and 1/2 cups water

Stir together. You can use an immersion blender if you like. But even though it doesn't look like it will go together, it will when you put it into the ice cream maker. Chill. It will separate into layers. Don't worry. Put in your ice cream maker.

This will make 2 meal replacement servings. My egg white protein is 2 T = 24 grams of protein. Some others are 1/3 cup for the same amount of protein. Whatever yours is, use 2 servings.

I have had ice cream everyday for the last several months as one of my 4 meals a day. I lost weight on this regimen. In fact, I have had to add in food because I got too thin!

i have a cuisinart ice cream maker - does this work well in a machine AND is it scoopable after freezing?
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #504
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This works well in a machine. It is NOT scoopable after freezing. I make half the recipe at a time and eat it all. You can refrigerate the base for many days without ill effect.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #505
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: darlingnikki
Stats: start 225/ now 132.2/ goal 125 ??? Height 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD and HCG (not at the same time)
about the chocolate chip cookie recipe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzannaFrance View Post
1. 1/2 cup melted butter (or fat of choice)
2. Liquid Splenda equivalent to 1 cup + a splash of davinci vanilla for flavor and 1 big TBLS diabetisweet brown (or more to your taste)
3. 2 eggs
4. 1/2 cup plain protein powder (adjust for thickness). I use InkoSpor MUSCLE 95.
5. A pinch of baking powder and salt to taste.
6. Chocolate chips (use more than I did here, which was one half a chocoperfection chunked)

Method:
I used mostly butter, but topped it off with a spoonful of EVCO. Melted it. Probably just over 1/2 cup total melted.

Added some liquid splenda equivalent to 1 cup ( I would use some davinci vanilla here as well next time) and about a TBLS of diabetisweet brown. Mixed with stick blender.

Added 2 eggs, mixed again.

Added 1/3 cup protein powder and a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking powder. Mixed (I add the salt because the butter I have is unsalted.)

It was too thin, so I added about another HALF of the 1/3 cup (1/6 cup??) and stirred it in by hand as it was now too thick for stick blender.

Then I added the chunks of ChocoPerfection and voilą!

I baked them at 180 CELCIUS, which is 350 F I think. About 15 min, but I'd leave them in longer next time. Just keep an eye on them!

I tried this twice, first time they didn't turn out...second time I added a full cup of protein powder and a 1/2 cup of sf peanut butter. My chocolate was chunks of 85% lindt which I just put on top in the middle of each cookie and baked only 6 minutes. Took them out while slightly underbaked and let set, these were perfect this way! my whole family agrees on this recipe!
darlingnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 AM   #506
Senior LCF Member

anyone try the chia seed suggestion yet? I have chia seeds and wasn't sure what to do with them.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #507
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Its time!
Stats: 340/294.0/170
Start Date: April 4, 2010
Ok so I read through the whole 11 pages today! I just bought Designer Protein and have not tried any of the recipes yet. Here is my cut-n-paste version of all the variations I found here. The recipe at the top is the revised one MSWoods is now using. But her original is there too. Not all variations made it here if no one else tried it and liked it. But it is a start!

Whey Not Protein Cake
(original recipe at end of pages) (recipe by MSWoods)

3 eggs
3 scoops whey protein powder (vanilla) each scoop 1/3 cup
2 TB butter (or coconut oil)
1/2 cup sweetener (I use liquid sweet n low)
2 tsp baking powder
can add three TB vanilla DaVincis (optional)

Melt butter, add eggs, whey protein powder and sweetener. Mix well with FORK just till moistened and put in a 8x8 baking dish. Should be cake batter texture (or add DaVincis) Cook on 325 for about 15-20 minutes. Watch time carefully- knife in center should come pout with a bit of goo. Some cook quicker! Makes 9 servings. Each serving has about 1g carb per piece, depending on the whey protein powder you use.

For the chocolate: (not very sweet)
3 eggs
2.5 scoops whey protein powder (vanilla)
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sweetener
2 tsp baking powder

Using Jello as flavoring.
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 1/2 scoops whey protein powder
1 small package lemon jello or any flavor (mix powder with protein powder)
1/2 cup sweetener
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
enough DaVinci syrup to make it the consistency of cake batter

Lower Calorie version:
2 eggs
3 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 stick (4T) butter
1/4 C water
1/4 C Splenda or liquid equiv.
1t vanilla
1t baking powder

Blend together and bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes.

It takes these a bit longer to cook than the ones with all butter. I took them out after 10 minutes because they LOOKED done. After cutting them I saw they were still a little foamy at the top so I baked them 5 minutes longer.

SF Pudding mixture:
1 stick of butter melted
2 eggs
2 1/2 scoops of the vanilla protein powder
one small package of SF banana pudding mix dry
1/2 tsp. of vanilla
1/2 cup of sweetener or 1/4 splenda and 1/4 eryhtritol
1/4 +tsp. of baking powder
Then I added water after I mixed this all up. I think I must have added about 3/4 of a cup until it looked like cake batter.

FANTASTIC CINNAMON ROLLS! Well, not rolls, but they taste like it.

I put a mix of Somersweet (or granular erythritol) and Diabetisweet brown and lots of cinnamon in the baking pan FIRST. Then I add the basic mix on top (with three eggs). I also sprinkle that with cinnamon and bake. (I also use a pinch of baking powder in mine, but it rises whether you do or not). You can add nuts to batter if you want.

Another Cinnamon roll recipe:
In my batter I also added about 1/4 cup chopped pecans. So it came out to:
3 eggs
3 scoops whey protein powder
2tbsp butter, melted
1tbsp (because I accidentally dumped it) baking powder
sweetener to taste
cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Mix all ingredients together. Spray a muffin tin and sprinkle cinnamon on the bottom of each. Add 1tbsp of batter and cook for about 8-10 minutes. It took a lot less time for these.

Cookies:
1. 1/2 cup melted butter (or fat of choice)
2. Liquid Splenda equivalent to 1 cup + a splash of davinci vanilla for flavor and 1 big TBLS diabetisweet brown (or more to your taste)
3. 2 eggs
4. 1/2 cup plain protein powder (adjust for thickness). I use InkoSpor MUSCLE 95.
5. A pinch of baking powder and salt to taste.
6. Chocolate chips (use more than I did here, which was one half a chocoperfection chunked)

Method:
I used mostly butter, but topped it off with a spoonful of EVCO. Melted it. Probably just over 1/2 cup total melted.
Added some liquid splenda equivalent to 1 cup ( I would use some davinci vanilla here as well next time) and about a TBLS of diabetisweet brown. Mixed with stick blender.
Added 2 eggs, mixed again.
Added 1/3 cup protein powder and a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking powder. Mixed (I add the salt because the butter I have is unsalted.)
It was too thin, so I added about another HALF of the 1/3 cup (1/6 cup??) and stirred it in by hand as it was now too thick for stick blender.
Then I added the chunks of ChocoPerfection and voilą!
I baked them at 180 CELCIUS, which is 350 F I think. About 15 min, but I'd leave them in longer next time.

Cinnamon Rolls (variation)
(these were awesome and more moist)

Ingredients:
* 3 eggs
* 2 scoops whey protein powder (vanilla)
* 1 scoop of almond flour (I used the same scoop from the protein powder)
* 2 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
* 3/4 tbsp baking powder
* sweetener to taste (I use 5 drops of liquid splenda)
* cinnamon
* 1/4 cup chopped pecans (20 pecan halves, chopped)

Preparation:
Note 1: Mix by hand.
Note 2: Use level scoops of protein (do not pack the scoops) Just scoop and go!!

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together except cinnamon. Add 1tbsp of batter to each muffin and then sprinkle cinnamon on top. Then cook for about 9-11 minutes. Mine were done at 10 minutes. If you cook them to long they will get dry fast!!!

Original recipe (with 1 stick butter)
2 eggs
3 scoops whey protein powder (vanilla)
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sweetener (I use liquid sweet n low)

Melt butter, add eggs, whey protein powder and sweetener. Mix well and put in a 6x6 baking dish. Cook on 325 for about 15-20 minutes. Makes 9 servings. Each serving has about 1g carb per piece, depending on the whey protein powder you use.
Counts per batch: Cal:1347 Fat:364 Carb:8.8
Per 1/9th: Cal:150 Fat:40.4 Carb: 1

For the chocolate:
2 eggs
2.5 scoops whey protein powder
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sweetener

original recipe Vanilla Cake
Per batch: 1375 Calories; 108g Fat; 91g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 10g Net Carbs
Per 1/9: 153 Calories; 12g Fat; 10g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate;; 1g Net Carb
Per 1/6: 229 Calories; 18g Fat; 15g Protein; 1.5g Carbohydrate;; 1.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/4: 344 Calories; 27g Fat; 23g Protein; 2.5g Carbohydrate;; 2.5g Net Carbs

original recipe Chocolate Cake
Per Batch: 1305 Calories; 108g Fat; 81g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 11g Net Carbs
Per 1/9: 145 Calories; 12g Fat; 9g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carb
Per 1/6: 217 Calories; 18g Fat; 13g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
Per 1/4: 326 Calories; 27g Fat; 20g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

You can also make packg of SF jello and poke holes in cake and pour in. Refrig until firm. Also great in the freezer.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #508
Big Yapper!!!!

Very nice.

Actually the recipe I use now only has about 2tbsp of butter but I now add 4oz of softened cream cheese and it makes the recipe very very moist and more cake like.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #509
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Very nice.

Actually the recipe I use now only has about 2tbsp of butter but I now add 4oz of softened cream cheese and it makes the recipe very very moist and more cake like.
Thanks, I'm going to try it with the cream cheese. I use Designer Whey, using the chocolate recipe with added cocoa. They taste fine but they go from runny and undercooked to dry and overcooked in about 30 seconds. I haven't been able to figure out how to get the right consitency. I bet the cream cheese will help...

Thanks for this recipe, Ms. Woods... it's so quick and easy...
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #510
Big Yapper!!!!

The cream cheese helps a lot. It really keeps it very moist.