Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #1

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
0-Carb Yummi Gummies: A Theme with Variations

I was playing around with the standard "make gummi bears at home!" sort of recipes and have this to suggest.

Theoretically these don't require refrigeration, but so far, I wouldn't know, I just ate them all. LOL

If you want to get fancy, pour it into silicone molds of things like bears to harden, but it works fine to let it harden in a sheet and cut it up after. I rolled them in granular erythritol because I found the textural contrast pleasing.

And if you want to get REALLY fancy, Google this idea and read the more complicated procedures for assuring clear candies. These have a bit of foam so they don't harden completely uniformly, but my idea is to make them and eat them and don't worry about a Martha Stewart presentation...

The theme is for every packet of unflavored gelatin, 4.5 teaspoons (1.5 tablespoons) of liquid, flavoring, sweetener, sourer, and optional color.

This will make a SMALL amount. After preparing (see below) I poured each flavor into one hollow of a silicone muffin "tin." It was just thick enough to cut into 9 pieces each, like tic tac toe.

You can obviously make larger quantities, but this lets you make several flavors at once.

The usual recipes call for using either jello powder or koolaid powder for the flavor and color, but I wanted something less kiddie tasting. I used 4 different flavors of Torani SF syrup (the same as DaVinci, really, just half the price around here) and one with an extract.

With the sugar free syrup, they have zero carbs and 25 calories per batch. If you use other sorts of flavors, count whatever you use, plus the sweetener.

The "sourer" I list can be either a ground up vitamin C tablet or citric acid, also sold as sour salt. I used the citric acid since it's in my spice rack. Recipes I read said the cheaper the vitamin C the better, not chewable, not rose hips, just C. They can also be rolled in a bit of the sourer if you like that hit of sour.

This is so quick and easy, I think you need to be prepared to experiment to find what pleases you best rather than having a cut in stone recipe... The texture can vary from REALLY chewy to pretty soft, depending on the amount of water you use.

Sugar Free Syrup Variation

- in a small bowl, measure 1 Tablespoon sugar free syrup
- and 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of water
- whisk constantly while pouring in 1 pkg. unflavored gelatin being careful not to let it lump at any point. it will be really thick and grainy looking
- whisk in a LITTLE bit of your sourer
- let it sit 10 minutes (I skipped this on some and frankly I don't know it contributes anything. I think it was put in the recipe to accomodate the jello with sugar needing to absorb the water. It's up to you.)
- put the bowl in the microwave for 2 minutes on 10% power. if your machine doesn't have that setting, make it as low as possible and keep checking it. the higher the power the more it foams up, which doesn't really hurt anything, but the candies will look less uniform.
- stir down any bits still on the sides till it's all dissolved. it should look very syrupy.
- pour into a small flat bottomed container, silicone preferred, but can be glass or regular dishes. no greasing or non-stick spray needed. use a little spatula or your finger to get it all out of the bowl, it's VERY thick.
- if this is your only flavor, put the container in the freezer for about 10 min. If you are making others, this can just wait till they are all ready.

Lemon
These were the first ones I made, and I used all Lemon syrup and no water. TOO SWEET and intense.

Peppermint
I didn't add sourer to these. they were not really intense enough, surprisingly. I would use all peppermint syrup and no water next time.

Watermelon
These were very good. Perhaps they would be better with all syrup and no water too.

Almond Roca
Yes, this is a Torani flavor. These were wonderful! A bit odd juxtaposing the texture normally found in a sour fruit candy with the flavor found in a chocolate nut confection, but it works. They were also an awesome 2-layered thing, with opaque white over translucent caramel color.

Pineapple
These were the best. I made them with 1/2 teaspoon pineapple extract and 4 drops EZ-Sweetz sucralose drops plus 4 teaspoons of water.. This should be the equilavent of 8 t of sugar, but they weren't excessively sweet. I used a little more sourer in these, since the syrups already have what the company perceives as the right sour balance for that flavor and extracts don't.

Right now I am leaning toward trying more extracts. The candies are essentially straight sugar free syrup when they are made with that, and frankly most of the flavors aren't good enough to really want to chew on them straight like that.

I will also try English Toffee syrup, and when I get around to opening them, some of the DaVinci flavors like toasted marshmallow. Oh, and I am going to try rose water or rose oil to make a zero carb Turkish Delight too. Not sure what would give that texture which is a bit denser and less springy than the gummies...

Please comment and add suggestions.

Last edited by ravenrose; 01-10-2010 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: more
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GirlPimp
Stats: 165/123/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2, 2009
I have tried a few of these types of recipes myself
with really no luck of what I was looking for
so I just started buying sugar free candy
like the sugar free life savers and a few others
GirlPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I make a gelatin based candy using Koolaid as the flavoring. It already comes with its own sourness. I just add water and sweetener. Also good is anise oil for a licorice type flavor. The longer you leave these out to dry, the harder they get. So you can have chewy candies or hard candies, depending on how long you let them dry out.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Great idea!!! Thanks.

Sis
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
Hi ravenrose, thanks for sharing your tips and recommendations. did you ever trial your idea of the SF turkish delight version? if so, how was the result?
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I never liked gummies but I love hard candies. So I'm going to try this.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
Ya know, on the ice cream thread down the board a ways, someone mentioned using candy oil flavors (which I've never heard of or used but am interested in). I bet they would work well in this. . .
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16566220

Rosethorns, the "Ice Chips" hard candy that Netrition sells is pretty good! And one tin lasts forever. It actually looks like shards of thin ice (kind of weird, I prefer smooooooth candy).

If the cooling effect from sweeteners bothers you, skip this as the xylitol flavor is up front & center. I did not like the ginger - just didn't work with xylitol, sadly. Cinnamon was good and mint (can't remember which one, sorry) too.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Thanks Kalatraza!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote