Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: texascarl
Turnips with garlic and Anchovy

4 tbsp. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
6 anchovy filets or anchovy paste
10 small turnips, trimmed, peeled, and quartered

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and anchovies and cook for 1 minute.

2. Add turnips and cook, stirring often, until soft, 10–15 minutes.

SERVES 4

From Saveur
texascarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I love anchovies, but I never thought of pairing them with turnips. I'll have to try your recipe.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Wow, that's an interesting recipe - I'll have to try it when DH isn't here, he thinks he can't stand anchovies. (But he gets them in my homemade Caesar dressing, buahahahahahahaaaa!)
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

It's surprisingly tasty - I advise a cast iron skillet and low heat, figure 20 minutes or so. I followed the original recipe the first time, next time I added black pepper, paprika and cayenne to the turnips and mixed the olive oil w/bacon fat. Even mo' bettah that way. The garlic and anchovy paste really brings a lot of zing. When the turnips were done, I tossed in a dozen trimmed/halved brussel sprouts and let them cook in the same flavored oil til 'brown' on 2 sides, then added 1/4 cup of chicken broth and let them simmer in that for 10 minutes or so. Mighty fine.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Another from Saveur's website, one of Madhur Jaffrey's recipes - turnips with yoghurt.

1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
Salt
6 medium turnips, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/2" cubes
3 tbsp. peanut or canola oil
2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tomatoes, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/4 tsp. cayenne

1. Put yogurt and 1 tsp. salt into a large glass or ceramic bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add turnips and stir until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.

2. Drain turnips and yogurt in a strainer set over a medium bowl, gently stirring until most of the yogurt has drained into the bowl below. Transfer turnips to another medium bowl. Set turnips and yogurt aside separately.

3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until softened, 1–2 minutes. Add cumin seeds and turnips and cook, stirring often, until shallots and turnips begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, reserved yogurt, and cayenne and cook, stirring occasionally, until turnips are soft when pierced with the tip of a small, sharp knife and sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes more. Season to taste with salt.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan_C
Stats: 145/125/120
WOE: moderate carbs
Texascarl,

My husband is from India, and when I showed him the turnips in yoghurt recipe, he got really excited. -This is a dish he really enjoyed in India, and he thinks the recipe is pretty darn perfect for recreating it. He actually plans to leave work early tomorrow to pick up the ingredients!

P.S. We have a couple of Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks, and they are excellent. Many Indian recipes are great for low carbing, as long as you forgo the rice and naan.
Susan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascarl View Post
4 tbsp. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
6 anchovy filets or anchovy paste
10 small turnips, trimmed, peeled, and quartered

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and anchovies and cook for 1 minute.

2. Add turnips and cook, stirring often, until soft, 10–15 minutes.

SERVES 4

From Saveur
Add some crushed red pepper flakes and you have a turnip putanesca!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
subscribing
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan_C
Stats: 145/125/120
WOE: moderate carbs
Quote:
Another from Saveur's website, one of Madhur Jaffrey's recipes - turnips with yoghurt.

1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
Salt
6 medium turnips, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/2" cubes
3 tbsp. peanut or canola oil
2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tomatoes, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/4 tsp. cayenne

1. Put yogurt and 1 tsp. salt into a large glass or ceramic bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add turnips and stir until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.

2. Drain turnips and yogurt in a strainer set over a medium bowl, gently stirring until most of the yogurt has drained into the bowl below. Transfer turnips to another medium bowl. Set turnips and yogurt aside separately.

3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until softened, 1–2 minutes. Add cumin seeds and turnips and cook, stirring often, until shallots and turnips begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, reserved yogurt, and cayenne and cook, stirring occasionally, until turnips are soft when pierced with the tip of a small, sharp knife and sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes more. Season to taste with salt.
texascarl is offline Reply With Quote
My husband made this the other day, and it was really excellent. -We will definitely make it again. There was absolutely not even a hint of bitterness, which I think is probably due to the overnight yogurt marinade. -Makes me think that we could adapt this technique to western recipes and marinate our turnips in yogurt or cream prior to cooking; I mean, not only were these turnips not bitter, the best I can describe is that they were like carmelized onions.
Susan_C is offline   Reply With Quote