Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #1351
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
It tastes as good as it looks!! Love low carbing Italian favorites. Amazing!

On a side note: my daughter is getting me a spice rack for my birthday!! I get very frustrated when I have to dig through to find the ones I want to use. I can't wait to get it! to me LOL
Agh! my mom doesn't like italian dishes too much but I ALWAYS crave tomato and melted cheese ALWAYS. Now that I'm living at home it's hard to convince her to cook my recipes :P and there isn't enough kitchen for two cooks/leftovers from multiple dinnerplans! These look great, can you share basic recipes?

We had the spice rack issue too, but again now that I'm living at home, can't reorganize ma's pantry. So instead we decided to put labels on the tops! It worked fine for a fraction of the cost.

Here's some LC meatloaf I made with mistizoom's suggestion of 1 tbsp each of coconut flour and golden flax seed meal. 1 egg, 1 lb of combined ground pork and ground beef, plus onion and celery. (pardon the foil!)

And scones using Barbo's carbquik recipe plus 3/4 tsp xanthan gum:

With home made clotted cream (2 pints of non-ultra pasteurized heavy cream in crock pot on low for 8 hours yielded about 1.5 cups... a bit too brown I think from crock pot's temperature fluctuations, will use stainless pot in 180F oven next time.) And La Nouba Sugar Free strawberry fruit spread (never getting splenda-sweetened preserves again.. yuck)

Last edited by Emita; 01-25-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #1352
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Looks fabulous, Emita. I hadn't heard of that recipe for clotted cream before.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #1353
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
All these pictures look great! Happy Birthday Gina hope your having the whole week for your birthday.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #1354
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Looks fabulous, Emita. I hadn't heard of that recipe for clotted cream before.
Thank you! I just took better photos since I re-learned my camera, but haven't gotten them onto the PC yet. Also took some of a mexican quiche I made for breakfast today using my new toaster oven ^__^ I love it.

As far as the clotted cream goes, I was craving it so badly as I have once-removed relatives in Devon, and my last visit was back in 2009!

When I got the carbquik and found the lc foods preserves, etc, I thought how badly I wanted clotted cream and how obviously low-carb it was.

So I googled "how to make clotted cream" and was surprised how simple it was. Ours was thick like whipped butter or cream cheese, almost to brie consistency... but SO sweet and delicious.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #1355
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emita View Post
So I googled "how to make clotted cream" and was surprised how simple it was. Ours was thick like whipped butter or cream cheese, almost to brie consistency... but SO sweet and delicious.
Did you have to strain it or do anything else to it after cooking it in the crockpot? I'd love to make some but I'm not sure if anyone sells the non-ultra pasteurized cream around here anymore. I used to see it at Walmart and one other store but not anymore.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #1356
Senior LCF Member

No straining or anything, it basically condenses slowly, the half on top gets sweet and thick, like a custard. Sort of steaming it. So only the stuff you scoop off the top is "Clotted" about half is "waste". (slightly thickened and sweetened liquid cream)

here is the original recipe, I would reccomend this method instead of crock pot. Your HC definitely needs to be non-ultra pasteurized. This recipe came from a UK site that even reccomended 40% fat whipping cream, but that is very hard to find here. Uses 2 pints of heavy whipping cream.:

"1. Pour the cream into a heavy-bottomed oven-safe pot. The cream should come up the side of the pot somewhere between one and three inches.
2. Cover the pot and put it in the oven on 180 F.
3.Leave the covered pot in the oven for at least 8 hours. My four cups took 12 hours (until my oven automatically turned off). You’ll know it’s done because there will be a thick yellowish skin above the cream, as shown above. That skin is the clotted cream.
Let the pot cool at room temperature, then put it in the refrigerator for another 8 hours.
Remove the clotted cream from the top of the pot. The cream that is underneath it can still be used for baking. "

mine browned and turned to the consistency of frozen yogurt! Like I said, it still tasted great compared to the ultra-pasteurized, flavorless stuff they sell for $3 an ounce in whole foods. it only yielded about 3/4 cup clotted cream though and about 10 oz of thickened, sweet liquid cream beneath. Luckily. heavy cream isn't the MOST expensive item.

Last edited by Emita; 01-26-2014 at 05:30 PM..
Old 01-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #1357
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Emita, in your other post you said you got 1 1/2 cups of clotted cream and in the one above you said you got only 3/4 cup. Which one is correct? I'm not sure if it would be worth it to only get 3/4 cup of it from four cups of cream.

The English are so lucky that they can get very high fat cream. Clotted cream is wonderful but even their extra thick double cream is so thick you can eat it with a spoon. We're lucky if we can find cream that isn't watered down with skim milk over here. It's very sad.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #1358
Senior LCF Member

Laugh, It's hard to estimate cause it's as thick as ice cream and I keep eating little bits at a time. you certainly don't need much, and it can't be frozen as far as I know, so it's not entirely a bad thing that it doesn't make a lot.

The sweetened and slightly thickened cream left underneath is really good too and would be an excellent substitution for heavy cream in any recipe.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #1359
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Despicableme
Stats: 206/148/130
WOE: ketosis
hello gyus and girls :-)
i havent posted in this thread before but its always good to start hehe, here r mine very simple broccoli and cheese pancakes

need:
1-2 cups of cooked and mashed broccoli
handfull of grated cheddar
2 eggs
1 tbsp cream cheese
salt/pepper and any herbs u like

Cook the broccoli and mash with fork , in a bowl whisk the eggs with the cream cheese and then add the cheddar and mashed broccoli, salt pepper herbs and mix with spoon or fork.

On pan,eat up some oil and form a table spoon size pancakes. U will know when to turn them, cause the bottom will get brown

Despicableme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #1360
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despicableme View Post
i havent posted in this thread before but its always good to start hehe, here r mine very simple broccoli and cheese pancakes

need:
2 eggs
1 tbsp cream cheese

Cook the broccoli and mash with fork , in a bowl whisk the eggs with the cream cheese and then add the cheddar and mashed broccoli, salt pepper herbs and mix with spoon or fork.

On pan,eat up some oil and form a table spoon size pancakes. U will know when to turn them, cause the bottom will get brown
LOVELY! Like a low carb dr. praeggers!

I did this with zucchini and feta, plus a little coconut flour & almond meal. I really liked the combo of grated zucchini and feta, great flavor. I used a youtube video:
Old 02-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #1361
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Despicableme
Stats: 206/148/130
WOE: ketosis
oh i have to try the zucchini n feta! i love almond meal using it for pancakes like 3 time a week for breakfast hehe
Despicableme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #1362
Senior LCF Member

My first oopsies!! Thanks to my mom the pro egg white whipper for the advice and moral support.
Tried Peggy's sesame seed buns using the genaw.com recipe:
Quote:
4 eggs, separated
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon granular Splenda *
1/4 cup golden flax meal
1 tablespoons unflavored, unsweetened whey protein powder
1 teaspoon sesame seeds

Put the egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium, non-plastic bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until the egg whites form stiff peaks.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth; add the Splenda and egg yolks and beat until smooth. Add the flax meal and whey protein; beat until blended. Gently dump the stiff egg whites into the bowl with the yolk mixture. Using a large rubber spatula, gently fold in the whites until no large spots of white remain. Be careful not to deflate the egg whites.

Spoon the batter into a well-greased muffin top pan with 6 holes. Sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds. Bake at 300º for 35 minutes until nice and brown. Remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes 6 buns
I think I pulled mine from the oven 2 minutes too early, a bit eggy inside still - HOWEVER I was able to split one laterally for a burger! I was shocked because of how thin they are. very sturdy. had the half there cause I couldn't resist trying them plain to analyze the flavor.

For some reason they ended up fishy tasting right out of the oven - I checked my flax meal but it tastes fine, just nutty as usual. Wonder if there was a weird chemical reaction... the next day had the second half of the picked-at bun with salami and provolone and oil/vinegar dressing - detected no fishiness but maybe it was the fixings?

better photos of my scones using barbo's carbquik recipe:
Quote:
Scones:
2 cups Carbquik
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces *
2 ounces cold cream cheese, cut in small pieces
1/3 cup Carb Countdown milk or heavy cream
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup granular Splenda or 20 drops Sweetzfree
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon heavy cream
Instructions:
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick baking liner. Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. In medium bowl, whisk baking powder and cinnamon into CarbQuick. Cut in butter and cream cheese until it resembles small peas. Add nuts. In separate bowl, mix milk, egg, sweetener and vanilla. Add wet mixture to dry and stir just until dough comes together. Dough will be sticky.
Turn dough out onto surface lightly dusted with CarbQuick. Dust top of dough with bake mix and gently pat to 1-inch thick. Cut with 2-inch biscuit cutter and carefully place on baking sheet. Gently pat out scraps of dough and cut out to make remaining scones. Brush tops with the 1-tablespoon cream. Sprinkle with topping mixture, dividing all of it amongst the scones. Bake at 400º 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm, with butter, clotted cream or Mascarpone cheese.

Last edited by Emita; 02-15-2014 at 08:43 PM..
Old 02-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #1363
Senior LCF Member

An ugly looking paleo biscuit I made after making a celiac friend! LOL. it made one small drop biscuit and one larger (pictured) biscuit that I used a 3.5" ramekin for. Baked at 350 in toaster oven for 5 minutes (small) and 15 (large). This was before I had any other low carb baking ingredients ready.

I used (eyeballed, so, sorry if not exact!):
1 egg beaten
2 T heavy cream
3 T unblanched almond meal
2 T coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
additional water if needed.

Stored the big one in the fridge and sliced it for biscuits and sausage gravy the next day ^_^ (pictured!)

a beautiful and delicious 100% carbquik version of buttoni's fluffy biscuits, minus the shredded cheese I didn't have:

1 oz. cream cheese, softened
a bit less than one egg
1 T heavy cream + more and water if needed
3/8 c. CarbQuick bake mix
½ tsp. each baking powder and baking soda
dash salt

DIRECTIONS: baked in 350 degree toaster oven til golden brown. DELICIOUS.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #1364
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despicableme View Post

need:
2 eggs
1 tbsp cream cheese

Marking my spot here for this recipe and the zucchini feta recipe as well. Thanks!
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #1365
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
My sister sent me this wonderful chicken recipe but the fettuccini stole the show! It's gluten free and made from mung beans. Mung beans and water are the only ingredients and they're fantastic. I found them on netrition but they may be sold in other places. They remind me of the colored pasta. They have the same consistency as al dente pasta.

Here's the chicken recipe. I used homemade roasted red peppers and feta cheese instead of mozzarella because that's what I had.

Grilled Chicken with Spinach and Melted Mozzarella

Ingredients:
21 oz (3 large) chicken breasts sliced in half lengthwise to make 6 cutlets
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
10 oz frozen spinach, drained
3 oz shredded part skim mozzarella
1/2 cup roasted red pepper, sliced in strips (packed in water)
olive oil spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Lightly spray a grill with oil (I used my George Forman) or grill outside on a gas grill. Cook chicken on the grill until no longer pink, careful not to overcook or you'll have dry chicken.

Meanwhile, heat a sauté pan on medium heat. Add oil and garlic, sauté a few seconds, add spinach, salt and pepper. Cook a few minutes until heated through.

When chicken is done, lay on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment for easy clean-up. Divide spinach evenly between the 6 pieces and place on top. Top each with half oz mozzarella, then slices of roasted pepper and bake until melted, about 6-8 minutes.

Click on pic to enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.2 KB, 24 views)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #1366
Major LCF Poster!

Avocado Pudding

I had some ripe avocados I needed to use up so I decided to try making a chocolate pudding. It came out really yummy so I thought I would share. It's thick, creamy, rich and delicious. It's very chocolatey so a little goes a long way! I got the idea from looking at several different recipes online.

1/2 cup Xylitol
Liquid Splenda to taste
1/2 cup Cocoa
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup Milk of choice(almond milk, coconut milk or calorie countdown should all work well)
2 ripe Avocados

Melt xylitol in a sauce pan over low heat. Add Splenda and vanilla then whisk in cocoa until well blended then whisk in milk. I Blended in the avocados using and immersion blender but I'm sure a regular blender would work too. Poor into serving dishes and refrigerate until cold. Top with whipped cream and serve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (32.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #1367
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
My sister sent me this wonderful chicken recipe but the fettuccini stole the show! It's gluten free and made from mung beans. Mung beans and water are the only ingredients and they're fantastic. I found them on netrition but they may be sold in other places. They remind me of the colored pasta. They have the same consistency as al dente pasta.
What is the NI for these noodles?
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #1368
Major LCF Poster!

This is copied from the page on netrition.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 2 oz (56g)
Servings Per Container: 4

Amount
Per Serving % Daily
Value*

Total Calories 182

Calories From Fat 20

Total Fat 2 g 3%

Saturated Fat 1 g 3%

Trans Fat 0 g 0%

Cholesterol 0 mg 0%

Sodium 2 mg 0%

Total Carbohydrates 17 g 3%

Dietary Fiber 11 g 45%

Sugars 6 g

Show Net Carbs 6 g

Protein 25 g

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 10%
Iron 36%
Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #1369
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I had some ripe avocados I needed to use up so I decided to try making a chocolate pudding. It came out really yummy so I thought I would share. It's thick, creamy, rich and delicious. It's very chocolatey so a little goes a long way! I got the idea from looking at several different recipes online.

1/2 cup Xylitol
Liquid Splenda to taste
1/2 cup Cocoa
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup Milk of choice(almond milk, coconut milk or calorie countdown should all work well)
2 ripe Avocados

Melt xylitol in a sauce pan over low heat. Add Splenda and vanilla then whisk in cocoa until well blended then whisk in milk. I Blended in the avocados using and immersion blender but I'm sure a regular blender would work too. Poor into serving dishes and refrigerate until cold. Top with whipped cream and serve.
Really cool! I was going to make guac but got lazy, and have two soft avocados in my fridge - will try this. I've been craving pudding, too! (no xylitol but w/e, will use nectresse to taste and just blend everything in a regular blender at the end.)

That fettucine is not so bad on the carbs, and looks yummy!! I've only tried miracle rice so far. I have some of the seaweed noodles from netrition I was going to make shrimp scampi with.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #1370
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sjanette
WOE: Low Carb/Keto, minimum on gluten and sugarfree
Start Date: August 2013
Yesterday I've tried a recipe I saw on the i-net on satisfyingeats. We don't have them in the Netherlands so I was curious.
Well, I've tried it and I'm in love!!! I got 10 servings out of 1 batter!

Sjanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #1371
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjanette View Post
Yesterday I've tried a recipe I saw on the i-net on satisfyingeats. We don't have them in the Netherlands so I was curious.
Well, I've tried it and I'm in love!!! I got 10 servings out of 1 batter!

Is this a low carb recipe? Would you share the recipe?

They look Marvelous!!!! Corndogs!!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #1372
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Those look amazing.

Last edited by Nigel; 02-20-2014 at 09:16 AM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #1373
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Those look amazing. Can you tell me what month this recipe is under?
I found it Nigel!!!! Just search for Satisfying eats corn dogs. That;s what I did. It's very doable. I use one similar and my cake pop maker.
I think I will put some corn resistant starch in there.Nigel May 2013 . YUM

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-20-2014 at 09:21 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #1374
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Is this a low carb recipe? Would you share the recipe?

They look Marvelous!!!! Corndogs!!!!

3/4 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
3 serving Kal Pure Stevia (to taste), or sweetener of choice
1/8th tsp salt
3 nitrate free hotdogs, cut in half
4 cups expeller pressed coconut oil or lard (for frying)

**Ketchup and mustard for dipping

Directions

In a medium sauce pan (or fryer), add oil and begin to bring to the temperature of 350 degrees F over medium heat. Use thermometer. Prepare tray with paper towels for when corn dogs come out of fryer.

In a small to medium-sized bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder and salt with whisk. Add eggs and whisk. Let set for 3-4 minutes and then stir again. Dry off any excess moisture on the outside of the hotdog with a paper towel. This will help the batter stick. Place popsicle stick through cut side of hotdog.

Once oil is almost to temperature, dip skewered hot dog into batter and roll around until all sides are coated. This may take a few attempts. Once oil reaches 350 degrees F, carefully place battered hot dog into oil and allow to cook for 30 seconds. Then using tongs, flip corn dog to cook on other side for 45-60 seconds or until golden brown. You may have to hold corn dog by the thick using the tongs to cook other side. Remove corn dog by the popsicle stick and allow to cool on paper towels (or brown bag).

**Freeze individually and then reheat in oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes (if frozen).

I got 10 servings out of 1 batter, so 5 hot dogs in half and I've fried them on 185 degrees Celcius and longer.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #1375
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks . I copied it . I think for lunch. Did you fry them?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #1376
Junior LCF Member

Yes, you have to deep fry them
Old 02-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #1377
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjanette View Post
Yes, you have to deep fry them
Thanks!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #1378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I found it Nigel!!!! Just search for Satisfying eats corn dogs. That;s what I did. It's very doable. I use one similar and my cake pop maker.
I think I will put some corn resistant starch in there.Nigel May 2013 . YUM
Thank you Esther. Will you take anything out for the resistant starch?

If you make these, can you let me know? I want to try some tiajuana torpedos with this batter.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #1379
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Sjanette for posting the recipe.

There are lots of good sounding recipes on that site. I'm making a list.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #1380
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Thank you Esther. Will you take anything out for the resistant starch?

If you make these, can you let me know? I want to try some tiajuana torpedos with this batter.
No I'm going to add 2 T. of resistant corn starch and maybe some more liquid I'm see how the batter reacts. I'm going to bake them Nigel.I'm making them for dinner tonight. I'll put up what I did.

Sjanettes look very pretty fried!!!

So Nigel what is a tiajuana torpedo?????? Do tell.

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-20-2014 at 01:41 PM..