Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2003, 04:16 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lonerockmom
Stats: 170/149/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
Cost Friendly Recipes Needed

Dear Folks,
I believe there are alot of people out there that are in the same boat that I am. I really want to do low carbing but I am on a very tight budget. Soooo how about some cost friendly recipes to help us out! PLEASE!!! Whats your favorite recipe that doesn't cost much. Thanks!!
lonerockmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2003, 04:26 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Banshee5
It's not so much the recipe.....but, buy on sale and things in bulk when you can. Over the summer, I get salmon for $1.99/lb This week, chicken leg qtrs for 39 cents/lb. It's also cheaper to buy a whole chicken and cut it up yourself. Sometimes, there are buy 1/get 1 free offers that are good too. I make LC ketchup and BBQ sauce, and spice blends. I use my food saver. Also, a crock pot is great because you can buy the cheaper (and tough) cuts of meat and they come out great in the crock pot. I don't buy many "special" LC products because they are $$$$$
Banshee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 04:49 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Coast Friendly Recipes Needed

Thank you, Banshee, you are right. After reading alot of the posts I see recipes that I can use. Maybe the question I should have asked was how do you personally make low carbing cost friendly.
Your money saving tips would be greatly appricated. athanks
Old 02-10-2003, 08:17 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenifer_in_CA
Start Date: 6/28/04
I make A LOT of things with hamburger meat because I can get a ton of it for a low price when I buy it in bulk.

Cheeseburger Casserole
Mexicali Hamburger and Cabbage Casserole
Joe's Special
Meatloaf
Burgers (love 'em cold the next day!)
Spaghetti (served over spaghetti squash)
Jenifer_in_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:45 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustDoYou
Stats: 232.5/patiently waiting/165ish
WOE: LC and eating in moderation
Hamburger....or ground turkey........makes wonderful quiches...offer up quite a few servings for the money and the time it takes to make it.
JustDoYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:26 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: minxie
Stats: 140/138/125?
WOE: Low-carb
Eggs are also relatively inexpensive, so if you like egg salad you might want to make a lot of it for the week.
minxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 01:43 PM   #7
nancy1201

Gallery: nancy1201
If you make or take lunches aLMOST ANY home cooked roast is less costly than lunch meat. I bake a turkey breast or turkey 2 x a month. Chicken legs and thighs boiled or baked make great cold chicken salads. I get canned Salmon and tuna on sale and stock up.They are great for patties and salads. If you can tolerate the salt , canned corned beef is only $!.00 at Dollar General. Cheese and whipping cream and cream cheese are pretty pricey, but some vegies we can eat are cheep--like rutebagas and celery, cabbage.

I shop Saturday AM's and often find reduced meat of every kind. This includes fish, deli meats, kilbasa, hams, chicken, beef, and 1/2 & 1/2, and heavy whipping cream and sour cream, and pork. I usually go to Kroger, but got many reduced items at Winn Dixie last week. I get reduced stuff at WalMart too. Just take it home and freeze. I have a deep freezer so I have plenty of room
Old 02-10-2003, 02:22 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your ideas. These are great. I'll be busy using all the tips I have found on this sight. It is great!