Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
oh goody, theres a cake in my future!



isn't red velvet just chocolate cake with red food colouring added? I've never eaten and don't know what it is...but that's my nearest guess?
Hmm, it could be, Deb. I guess I need to take a look at a recipe and compare. If someone else knows, hopefully they will pipe in. Thanks for your feedback.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 465
Gallery: Deb34
just did a google search..good luck on finding a definitive RVC recipe!
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #213
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
just did a google search..good luck on finding a definitive RVC recipe!
I just googled 'gluten free low carb red velvet cake' and found this recipe here on lcf: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-frosting.html

Sounds yummy, for anyone interested.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender Blend View Post
Do you make the almond flour with just ground up toasted almonds?
Sorry, I guess no one noticed your question, and I'm just nw seeing it. Sorry the reply is so late. Hope you see it. Anyway,,,,,,
You can make your own almond flour by grinding your own, but you use raw almonds (in almost all cases,,,, some few recipes uses toasted almonds, and they you do have to grind your own). The easiest ones to grind are the sliced or slivered almonds. But whole will work too.
You can also buy almond flour already ground. Some people buy it, some make their own. But again, you should use raw, not toasted almonds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
...........
isn't red velvet just chocolate cake with red food colouring added? I've never eaten and don't know what it is...but that's my nearest guess?
Actually Red Velvet Cake is a particular kind of chocolate cake.
Unless it is a vanilla Red Velvet Cake. I had never heard of a Red Velvet cake that wasn't chocolate until a few years ago. And someone on a forum (maybe this one) talked about wanting one of those. That is what they had grown up with.
I am not sure of the recipe for a "real" high carb Red Velvet Cake tho. But again, it is usually a particular type of cake. And usually has a certain type of icing, but I can't remember what kind. Boy, I'm a lot of help!!!
That being said, there are probably a LOT of recipes out there for Red Velvet Cake!!
__________________
Billie

***********
For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
***
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 05-24-2013 at 09:55 PM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 275
Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
I just googled 'gluten free low carb red velvet cake' and found this recipe here on lcf: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-frosting.html
Isn't it just amazing what you can find here??? Yesterday on the Food Network they made a lemon meringue pie and the filling was just a few egg yokes, some sugar and a can of condensed milk. SO easy! So I looked it up here and guess what? I didn't find just one condensed milk recipe -- I found several! I'm starting to think there's nothing these ladies and gents can't tweak to make healthier and more nutritious! Kind of exciting!
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #216
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 51
Gallery: Mrs. Binkums
variations on icing

I really really want to make this cake a chocolate explosion, how do make the original frosting into a fluffy chocolate frosting?
Mrs. Binkums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #217
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Duncansville, PA
Posts: 421
Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
My 2 cents on the red velvet cake. They usually have just a small amount of cocoa. The red coloring used adds the distinctive taste (a bottles worth if I remember correctly).
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth2013 View Post
Isn't it just amazing what you can find here??? Yesterday on the Food Network they made a lemon meringue pie and the filling was just a few egg yokes, some sugar and a can of condensed milk. SO easy! So I looked it up here and guess what? I didn't find just one condensed milk recipe -- I found several! I'm starting to think there's nothing these ladies and gents can't tweak to make healthier and more nutritious! Kind of exciting!
Beth, I totally agree. I this forum

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #219
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
My 2 cents on the red velvet cake. They usually have just a small amount of cocoa. The red coloring used adds the distinctive taste (a bottles worth if I remember correctly).
Thanks, ladeeda

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SOUTH WEST MICHIGAN, COLOMA
Posts: 196
Gallery: THELOU
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 1998
Pumpkin Almond Cake Sungoddess, I posted and someone advised the spices. My Husband loves this. This is his favorite. I make all the versions.

The only thing I did different, I was afraid the pumpkin wouldn't moisten as much as the sour cream, so I subbed the 1 c. pumpkin and kept 1/2 cup sour cream. And Walnuts in the batter.

PUMPKIN SPICE CAKE CHICKEN LADY

Cake:
4 cups almond flour – scooped
2 cups sugar free sweetener – (I use 1-1/2 cups Splenda & 1/2 cup Erythritol)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2-teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2-teaspoon ground ginger
1/2-teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼-teapoon cloves
1 tablespoons vanilla
1/4-cup oil
4 eggs
1-cup sour cream sub 1 cup pumpkin
1 cup chopped walnuts

Frosting:
1/4-cup butter – softened
8 ounces cream cheese – softened
1 teaspoons vanilla
Sweetener to taste

Preheat oven to 350° Spray a 9x13-inch cake pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and stir well.

Beat the eggs with the oil and the vanilla…add to the dry ingredients along with the sour cream and mix well. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and cake is firm to the touch.

Remove from the oven to a wire rack and cool completely.

To Make Frosting:
Combine ingredients and beat with a wire whisk until smooth. Sweeten to taste and frost cake.
Frosting:
1/4-cup butter – softened
8 ounces cream cheese – softened
1 teaspoons vanilla
Sweetener to taste
THELOU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SOUTH WEST MICHIGAN, COLOMA
Posts: 196
Gallery: THELOU
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 1998
Any one want to venture a lemon or orange version. I am going to try peanut butter.
THELOU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,138
Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Traditionally, red velvet cake was a buttermilk and cocoa cake. The two together made the reddish color. The addition of a bottle of red food coloring is what people do now. Shame, really.

Keeping this on-topic: I was going to make this cake yesterday but our Internet was out all day. I think I will make it this morning to have with lunch. I was so excited to have a dessert for the weekend!

Last edited by JMacB; 05-27-2013 at 05:56 AM..
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,138
Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Following up:

This cake! Bless you for this! My entire family cannot believe how wonderful it is. Ill be glad to leave it at the lake, because I can see myself helping myself to just a bite...

Like now, while I enjoy a bite with a cup of coffee.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Tweaker Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,417
Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Lou - I'll definitely being trying this, I love anything pumpkin! Thanks for posting.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacB View Post
Traditionally, red velvet cake was a buttermilk and cocoa cake. The two together made the reddish color. The addition of a bottle of red food coloring is what people do now. Shame, really.

Keeping this on-topic: I was going to make this cake yesterday but our Internet was out all day. I think I will make it this morning to have with lunch. I was so excited to have a dessert for the weekend!
Thanks for that comment about the red velvet. That makes sense.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by THELOU View Post
Pumpkin Almond Cake Sungoddess, I posted and someone advised the spices. My Husband loves this. This is his favorite. I make all the versions.

The only thing I did different, I was afraid the pumpkin wouldn't moisten as much as the sour cream, so I subbed the 1 c. pumpkin and kept 1/2 cup sour cream. And Walnuts in the batter.

PUMPKIN SPICE CAKE CHICKEN LADY

Cake:
4 cups almond flour – scooped
2 cups sugar free sweetener – (I use 1-1/2 cups Splenda & 1/2 cup Erythritol)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2-teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2-teaspoon ground ginger
1/2-teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼-teapoon cloves
1 tablespoons vanilla
1/4-cup oil
4 eggs
1-cup sour cream sub 1 cup pumpkin
1 cup chopped walnuts

Frosting:
1/4-cup butter – softened
8 ounces cream cheese – softened
1 teaspoons vanilla
Sweetener to taste

Preheat oven to 350° Spray a 9x13-inch cake pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and stir well.

Beat the eggs with the oil and the vanilla…add to the dry ingredients along with the sour cream and mix well. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and cake is firm to the touch.

Remove from the oven to a wire rack and cool completely.

To Make Frosting:
Combine ingredients and beat with a wire whisk until smooth. Sweeten to taste and frost cake.
Frosting:
1/4-cup butter – softened
8 ounces cream cheese – softened
1 teaspoons vanilla
Sweetener to taste
I love pumpkin. This sounds so awesome! I really need to invest in an almond flour factory at the rate I'm going.

I'd also love a pb version of this cake as I peanut butter.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:41 AM   #227
Way too much time on my hands!
 
dawnyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 25,167
Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Now that I have made the cake, I am searching for a frosting. Which one to make? Hmmm...so many choices Gotta get it done today. My DD loves chocolate so I am going to go with one of those.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #228
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 51
Gallery: Mrs. Binkums
yeah dawnyama i'm having the sample problem, what chocolate frosting would be the most spendid and most chocolate bang !!!!!...please post any results or suggestions.....
Mrs. Binkums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,465
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I absolutely love Birgit's Chocolate Cream. That's what I use for chocolate frosting now. Tastes very chocolaty and high carb. And it's made with coconut oil. It's practically a health food!
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #230
Way too much time on my hands!
 
dawnyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 25,167
Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I am leaning towards Soobee's suggestion. I have that printed out. Will let you know what I decide to put on it.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #231
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 275
Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
It's practically a health food!


Great discussion of it here...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...creme-omg.html

Looks like it's a hit with everyone!
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #232
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 51
Gallery: Mrs. Binkums
that chocolate creme sounds great...any other suggestions...really looking for fluffy chocolate whipped like buttercream frosting...one that will fool everyone who eats it to think that its "regular" icing....
Mrs. Binkums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,276
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
There is a good buttercream frosting in this thread.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-frosting.html
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #234
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 51
Gallery: Mrs. Binkums
thanks so much, this recipe sounds so great...I did want to know if melted chocolate could be added to the almond fudge cake batter and could melted chocolate be added to this or any lc buttercream recipe...I'm a novice baker especially with low carb baked goodies so have alot of questions and want to try become master of lc cookery
Mrs. Binkums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #235
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Duncansville, PA
Posts: 421
Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene View Post
I made a half-recipe version today as a Halloween treat for the guys, and it was a big hit. The best cake I've made since doing LC, and they want it to be a regular item. I frosted it with a fluffy peanut butter frosting I threw together from softened butter and natural peanut butter, a dash of salt, some vanilla, some heavy cream, and powdered erythritol, and about 2 Tb powdered whole milk, and some peanut butter flavour drops. I started with about 3 TB soft butter and at least 1/3 cup peanut butter, and I'd say 3 Tb cream. Then just kept adding powdered sweetener and a little more peanut butter til it was a soft and fluffy frosting. They loved the chocolate and peanut butter combo.

This cake is incredibly close to our long-time fave, Wacky Cake, which has been our family default for "cake" for years. This cake has the same wonderfully moist texture, and I'm really happy to have it in my recipe file. Thanks so much! My son always loves Wacky Cake with fluffy lemon frosting, or with peppermint frosting for Christmas. Now I have the recipe to use! I'm pondering making this for Thanksgiving and leaving out the cocoa, adding in some spices and maybe 1 -2 Tb more dry stuff (more almond flour, probably) to have a spice cake version, then making a fluffy caramel version of frosting for it, and topping the frosting with some finely chopped pecans.
We are a Wacky Cake family,too. Could you give us a "recipe" for your frostings...especially the peanut butter. I am not a fly by the seat of your pants cook/baker.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 348
Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
they all look good
missymagoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 348
Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
the pumkin almond cake sounds pretty good
missymagoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.